Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Wiki
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  17:49:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and a further note re. the FR Wiki: I checked the edit histories of some of the files I am familiar with, and they themselves have been edited (which of course admins or sufficiently skilled hackers can easily do, without leaving obvious traces). So neither fw190a8 nor anyone else should rely on them when considering "who edited what" or dismissing what The Sage and others have said in this thread.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  19:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pleased to gain the impression that the FR Wiki has tightened up its policy. The FR Wiki admin should put something on the main page to indicate that the Wiki is for "FR canon lore", which should link to a policy article detailing what constitutes FR canon lore and the nature of Ed's relationship to the Realms. THO, would you be willing to edit that part? I think it would serve as a reference doc and help settle disputes and clarify things for many others. I for one will resume posting with the wiki.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 14 Jul 2008 20:44:24
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  20:19:04  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I see someone undid some of my Sword Coast entries and restored the spurious Sword Coast North page with the NWN blurb.
Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:29:51  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I checked the edit histories of some of the files I am familiar with, and they themselves have been edited (which of course admins or sufficiently skilled hackers can easily do, without leaving obvious traces).

It is not possible to alter the edit histories of anything using MediaWiki (the wiki software that is used on FR Wiki). There are currently three admins on the wiki: me, and two others I know personally. I am absolutely sure that even if it were possible to alter edit histories, which it is not, none of the admins would ever do this. There have been no instances of any of the Wikia wikis being hacked, FR Wiki included.

Occasionally, the admins have cause to completely delete an article. For example, if someone were to paste an entire passage from a novel, this would breach copyright, even after editing the article, because the text would remain in the article history. This is extremely rare, but in certain circumstances the best option is to delete the article and its edit history entirely. This might be what you have encountered and believed to be tampering. This still does not give anybody the ability to modify the edit history (beyond its total removal). Admins have the ability to view the edit history of a deleted article, so if you'd like to give me the name(s) of the article(s) you believe have been tampered with (in a private message if appropriate) then I will definitely look into it.

quote:
Originally posted by BlackAce

Hmm, I see someone undid some of my Sword Coast entries and restored the spurious Sword Coast North page with the NWN blurb.

I can't see why you'd say that. I've had a look at your edits and I can't see any that have been removed, spuriously or otherwise. Your changes are listed here, BlackAce:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/BlackAce

You added a paragraph about Elturel to the Western Heartlands article. The only changes made to that paragraph since its addition have been wikification edits (adding more links to other articles, etc).

You made some significant changes to the article on Illefarn, but these remain intact, except for one year which I believe you must have typoed when you added it, and a slight change to the word order of one sentence.

You also made edits to the articles on Human, Mulan and Ffolk, but none of the information added in these edits has been removed! I can't see that you have edited the Sword Coast or Sword Coast North articles at all.

To sum up, none of your edits included references back to the original source material, so if any of your contributed information had been altered or removed, it would have been for that reason. However, this has not happened.

If anyone would like to improve the definition of canon on the wiki, the article is: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_Realms_Wiki:Canon

Contributor to the Forgotten Realms Wiki: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, fw190a8, for your active participation in this forum. You clearly wish to restore the reputation of the FR wiki and ensure that the facts are straight.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:48:46  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fw190a8

quote:

I checked the edit histories of some of the files I am familiar with, and they themselves have been edited (which of course admins or sufficiently skilled hackers can easily do, without leaving obvious traces).

It is not possible to alter the edit histories of anything using MediaWiki (the wiki software that is used on FR Wiki). There are currently three admins on the wiki: me, and two others I know personally. I am absolutely sure that even if it were possible to alter edit histories, which it is not, none of the admins would ever do this. There have been no instances of any of the Wikia wikis being hacked, FR Wiki included.

Occasionally, the admins have cause to completely delete an article. For example, if someone were to paste an entire passage from a novel, this would breach copyright, even after editing the article, because the text would remain in the article history. This is extremely rare, but in certain circumstances the best option is to delete the article and its edit history entirely. This might be what you have encountered and believed to be tampering. This still does not give anybody the ability to modify the edit history (beyond its total removal). Admins have the ability to view the edit history of a deleted article, so if you'd like to give me the name(s) of the article(s) you believe have been tampered with (in a private message if appropriate) then I will definitely look into it.

quote:

I can't see why you'd say that. I've had a look at your edits and I can't see any that have been removed, spuriously or otherwise. Your changes are listed here, BlackAce:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/BlackAce

You added a paragraph about Elturel to the Western Heartlands article. The only changes made to that paragraph since its addition have been wikification edits (adding more links to other articles, etc).

You made some significant changes to the article on Illefarn, but these remain intact, except for one year which I believe you must have typoed when you added it, and a slight change to the word order of one sentence.

You also made edits to the articles on Human, Mulan and Ffolk, but none of the information added in these edits has been removed! I can't see that you have edited the Sword Coast or Sword Coast North articles at all.

To sum up, none of your edits included references back to the original source material, so if any of your contributed information had been altered or removed, it would have been for that reason. However, this has not happened.

If anyone would like to improve the definition of canon on the wiki, the article is: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Forgotten_Realms_Wiki:Canon

No no. I combined the Sword Coast North article with the Sword Coast page and put the relevant material under a regional heading. With an explanation in the discussion page. Someone's reverted it.

I checked the page history too, before I made that comment and couldn't see it listed there either. I'm chalking it up to an admin revision.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  21:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fw190a8

This article gives a vague definition of Canon Lore based on opinions rather than fact. It is in need of referenced clarification. THO, I think you are the best person to do it.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  23:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some confused discussion of 'canon', turning out-of-context isolated comments by Ed and Rich into general positions. 'Canon', as used in practice, most often means the set of information that future published information is expected not to contradict. The content of one's own imagination, campaigns and amateur writing is a completely different matter, and miscalling that 'canon' only leads to exactly the confusion found here. The bit about Baldur's Gate is a logical knot, trying to discuss if the game is canonical before agreeing what that means! (And there's no sourcebook based on those computer games.) Then, mixing a third idea of canon under the same label, a 'fanon' based on supposed consensus (based presumably on message-board posts, contributed by a minority of board readers, who are a minority of fans) is just hopeless.

Ed has never disputed that certain sources have been deemed non-canon or unofficial; he rarely uses the term at all and Rich (like other TSR and Wizards people) has used it in other ways, which makes referencing problematic. The suggested disagreement is quite fictional. Instead, one of the great ironies of Realms publishing is the way TSR and Wizards discarded the devices intended to make it immediately, repeatedly clear to DMs and players that your game may differ from the sources.

My preferred practical description of 'canon', above, is helpful because it shows that it's not an absolute thing but a matter of degree. No source is immune from contradiction, whether deliberate (retcon) or accidental (few authors are familiar with every source), while even non-Realms material is adhered to by assiduous authors like Eric Boyd. It also resolves the disagreement some years back when George Krashos was arguing that magazine articles were non-canonical.

The other subtlety here is 'canon' isn't necessarily the same concept as 'authentic' (a fourth category, if we're counting). The simplest example is that the cultural information in GAZ8 The Five Shires, written by Ed for the D&D Known World, is a lot more Realms-authentic than many canonical sources. Put another way, this is the difference between 'Ed's Realms' and the official Realms, a distinction that's sometimes been misrepresented or misperceived.

It's far more helpful to discuss all of this in its own terms than to try and fit it into some incoherent or overrigid 'canon' rubric.

Edited by - Faraer on 14 Jul 2008 23:24:54
Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  23:24:49  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate what you're saying about canon and it is a subject that draws a lot of debate for sure. Parts are open to interpretation, but the wiki must remove any blurred edges by drawing a single line, wherever that might be. Your interpretation of canon might differ from mine, yet we are both potential collaborators when it comes to the wiki. Reaching a consensus on the issue for the purposes of the wiki enables smoother editing and better articles (fewer conflicts).

In practice, this matters very little at this stage in the wiki's life, because most of the information refers to source material whose canonical status is not in question. Still, the wiki article in question presents a good platform for an unbiased comparison of all the angles.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  23:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the 'interpretation' is just talking at cross-purposes and using words in contradictory ways, when it isn't ignorance. I assume the site mainly actually uses the first definition, the other three being impractically subjective for a reference work, while the set of sources considered 'canonical' by this practical definition isn't really in dispute (by people who've been paying attention for a long time). (Though some of the more profound official retcons, like Wizards going with the aberrant god-depictions of the Avatar novels over the rest of Realmslore and further removing the gods' limits to act in Faerűn, make this an unpleasant norm at times.)

(At least the Realms doesn't have the problem in Star Wars fandom where Expanded Universe true-believers transubstantiate Lucas Licensing's continuity database, used to keep licensed products consistent with each other, into 'Star Wars Really Is Absolutely Just This Way'.)

Edited by - Faraer on 14 Jul 2008 23:51:21
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  18:01:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A NWN blurb is taken as reliable Realmslore? In any case I doubt a blurb taken from a CRPG (and remember that video games are not considered in themselves to be "canon") would be all that informative about the setting.

I haven't been too impressed with Wiki pages about the FR in the past, that's for sure.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 15 Jul 2008 18:14:28
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  18:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be interesting to create a Candlekeep sponsored (i.e. no official ties to CK, but by a bunch of us from the 'Keep) Realms wiki. If anyone knows anything about setting one up, I would be interesting in helping. I own most of the 3.x Realms products, and have a fairly decent (though nowhere as extensive as many other members here ) knowledge of Realms history as well.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  23:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

It would be interesting to create a Candlekeep sponsored (i.e. no official ties to CK, but by a bunch of us from the 'Keep) Realms wiki. If anyone knows anything about setting one up, I would be interesting in helping. I own most of the 3.x Realms products, and have a fairly decent (though nowhere as extensive as many other members here ) knowledge of Realms history as well.

I think the expertise at the Candlekeep does make it the ideal patron for a repository for FR lore. But it must be done right. There's no point in subverting the efforts of the current Wiki administrators if the result is not something significantly better.

Actually, I think it would be much better not to subvert the current Wiki at all. It would be much better to woo the current FR Wiki Admin into accepting the active participation and patronage of the Candlekeep. The current admin on the FR Wiki are making an effort to improve it, and they're doing it for the love of the Realms. They are to be commended for it. If they were to agree that the current Wiki would become more authoritative if benefited from the participation and patronage of the Candlekeep we could benefit from the current administrators' expertise with wiki code, in addition to their Realms knowledge.

Producing a new Wiki strikes me as an unnecessary waste of human resources.

Thoughts?

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 16 Jul 2008 00:53:26
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  00:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi.
Theophilus, there's only one agreement between Ed and TSR re. the Realms, so far as I know. We always refer to it as "the original Realms agreement" to distinguish it from the many, many legal agreements TSR and Wizards have made with licensors, freelancers, distributors, and other third parties regarding the Realms. And to remind the current WotC folks that there IS an agreement, that they can't change without NEGOTIATING with Ed.

One of the clauses in the agreement is that if a year (twelve consecutive months) ever passes without TSR (now WotC, but only because they now own TSR and TSR legally still exists) publishing an original (that is, never before published) novel-length work of Realms fiction by Ed (not just with Ed's name on it, but by Ed), all rights to the Realms revert to Ed, if he wants to claim them. Long ago, by mutual unwritten agreement (and so, now, by customary practise), Ed agreed that book-length game sourcebooks could qualify for the novel-length fiction.

There are many other clauses in the agreement (not discussing its details, byt the way, is NOT one of them), and Ed generally has cordial relationships with TSR/WotC, but the point is that the Realms aren't a property of Wizards that they can do anything they like with, ignoring the agreement. Doing so loses them the Realms, and under NAFTA, that includes all of its licenses, trademarks, and copyrights. The whole thing. (I have heard that Mattel regularly contacts Ed to see if Hasbro has slipped up, and if he wants to move it. Thus far, obviously, that hasn't happened.)

So, no, please don't interpret my remarks as meaning that Ed has a new (or newer) agreement regarding the Realms with TSR, WotC, Hasbro, or anyone, because 'tain't so.
love,
THO

Thanks for clearing that up THO.

I take it from your explanation that Ed then had the ability to veto (probably not best word) the 4th ed setting changes?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  01:15:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Well, we kinda already have the FR Encyclopedia Project in various stages of development -- with some of the more notable scribes from Candlekeep contributing to such an effort.

More will likely be revealed with the coming of Candlekeep 2!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  01:17:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

I take it from your explanation that Ed then had the ability to veto (probably not best word) the 4th ed setting changes?

Actually, it's already been mentioned elsewhere that Ed fought against the changes. He was overruled.

There are certain things WotC is obligated to do with the Realms with regards to Ed, most notably what the Lovely Lady Hooded One already mentioned. But Ed has always been a freelancer, so while they can and often do pick his brain for details and info about certain topics, they aren't obligated to follow his advice. That's why a lot of things have been tacked on to the Realms that Ed wouldn't have done, or why things Ed created were changed.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  01:42:44  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Well, we kinda already have the FR Encyclopedia Project in various stages of development -- with some of the more notable scribes from Candlekeep contributing to such an effort.

What sort of format is planned for the encyclopedia, Sage?
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 16 Jul 2008 01:43:30
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  02:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

Actually, it's already been mentioned elsewhere that Ed fought against the changes. He was overruled.

There are certain things WotC is obligated to do with the Realms with regards to Ed, most notably what the Lovely Lady Hooded One already mentioned. But Ed has always been a freelancer, so while they can and often do pick his brain for details and info about certain topics, they aren't obligated to follow his advice. That's why a lot of things have been tacked on to the Realms that Ed wouldn't have done, or why things Ed created were changed.

Thanks also Wooly!
(THO - no need to reply if Wooly's correct.)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  07:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:

What sort of format is planned for the encyclopedia, Sage?
Afet

Well met

I'll jump to field this one.

Indeed, the Sage is correct. Work began on the Candlekeep Forgotten Realms Encyclopedia a couple of years back, with a number of scribes researching and inputting lore into a central database. The base functionality of the Encyclopedia already exists and is 90% functional. The skin of Candlekeep v2.0 needs to be applied of course, and whilst we have tempoarily halted on development (and with the bombshell of 4e events), it is certainly still ongoing and planned for release.

I'll give updates as and when I have anything to report.

In the meantime, if any scribes are interested in assisting in this project, please drop me an email or PM.

Oh, I almost forgot Red Walkers question ... the Encyclopedia is help online at Candlekeep as a dynamic database using ASP, listing all elements alphabetically and by category (simply click on such will give a list of relevant entries, along with a brief summary). Clicking on an entry will expand into a full description and information sources.

I'll try and get a sample up at some point.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  08:12:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Big Al said!

Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  08:59:47  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps it's just me, but fw190a8 I believe that you're missing the point. And continuing to beat a dead horse is rather futile. Not to mention all but flat out calling three of the realms leading scholars liars doesn't really help your argument either.

Now for my two-cents...the simple fact that every university that I've attended (K-State, UT Arlington, and Wichita State) has not acknowledged any Wiki to be authorative and therefore not citable source should say something about the reliablity of information available on any Wiki. Personally I've even come across bogus information within a Wiki that pointed back to an equally bogus source.

And before anyone asks, no I don't remember any of the details because at the time I didn't realize that I'd be asked about months later only to be all but called a liar because I failed to remember all the details to what was a mere trivial matter.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  13:38:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Perhaps it's just me, but fw190a8 I believe that you're missing the point. And continuing to beat a dead horse is rather futile. Not to mention all but flat out calling three of the realms leading scholars liars doesn't really help your argument either.
To be fair, fw190a8 didn't specifically call any of us liars. He was merely concerned that some of what we were saying was based more on assumptions, than actual fact.

Go to Top of Page

fw190a8
Acolyte

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  13:57:10  Show Profile  Visit fw190a8's Homepage Send fw190a8 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't called anybody a liar during this thread. The purpose of enquiring into the details of the alleged incidents was so that I can investigate further, and if anything is still amiss, rectify it. In fact, the multitude of scribes who state that there was some poor editing in the past indicates that this was probably the case. Still, without the information needed to find the incidents in question, nothing can be done.

I don't argue that universities and major academic institutions refuse to accept citations from wikis. I would never claim that everything contained in a wiki is automatically accurate. Any articles on a wiki, whether it's Wikipedia or the Forgotten Realms Wiki, should have accurate citations so that the reader can be directed to the source of the information. This is really the purpose of the wiki: to give an introduction to a topic and provide the necessary links to further information.

The Forgotten Realms Wiki strives to provide these citations and where they're absent, provide a warning that the article is not referenced. Not every article on the FR Wiki is perfect. Some lack citations, some are too short and some simply don't exist at all. The wiki is a growing site, so this is to be expected.

I'm sure that there is some inaccurate information on wikis. ksu_bond, I'm sorry to hear that you encountered some, but I hope you felt compelled to change or remove it, so that the next person could benefit from it.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  16:30:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
To be fair, fw190a8 didn't specifically call any of us liars. He was merely concerned that some of what we were saying was based more on assumptions, than actual fact.

I have to give the guy props for defending the FR Wiki, too. I think he's been pretty polite and reasonable about it. I respect that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Jul 2008 16:31:53
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  17:32:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was going to stay out of this but I am a bit insulted because it sure felt, to me, that he was calling us liars. Even if he didn't say it, his words come across that we are making up what we experienced and that isn't the case for some of us.

So, I truely don't want to help someone who, again, to me, dismissed everything I said.

Now, I'm leaving this thread again.

quote:

quote:

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  17:44:10  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* this would be why I tend to lurk rather than contribute
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  17:47:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*sigh* this would be why I tend to lurk rather than contribute

Don't be upset. :(

And I agree with you about lurking lately, which is why my posts have fallen.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  20:49:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And with everything that's been said, tempers are a bit high. Perhaps we could all take a deep breath, and just start over anew? I really don't want to close the thread.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  01:41:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. The issue of editing Wiki entries has been debated enough.

Let us return to other discussions about the FR Wiki itself. Perhaps about what content we'd like to see included?

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2008 01:42:32
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  19:26:18  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy enough. Articles which are linked to but do not exist yet are listed in order by how many links they have. This is supposed to be an indication of the importance of creating an article sooner, rather than later. Unfortunately some of the categorizing templates such as the one that lists all the various types of demon are placed at the end of every page about specific types of demons, thus creating a lot more links to other types of demon and raising their positions on the Wanted Pages list. This is of course due to the fact that, there are much more interesting and, more importantly Realms-specific articles to be created.

There is also a page dedicated to specific requests for the creation of articles from those who really want to see it made ASAP.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 06 Sep 2008 19:27:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000