Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Religious Monastic orders of the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  09:02:03  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How were they changed by the spellplague?

Did the Order of the Shining Hand die with Azuth, or continue existing?
Did the Order of the Sun Soul turn to Amaunatar or continue venerating Selune and Sune?

Obviously the monks of shar, and the Long Death ones would remain unscatched by the changes but...

Do monastic orders even need particular patron deities? It never seems like the orders are explained very well.

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  04:08:30  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does nobody care?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  04:34:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the lack of commentary is more due to the lack of information on anything 4E in the Realms. We barely got information on the lands, much less the various peoples who live there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  05:02:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly has the right of it.

Aside from the briefest few mentions in several DDI articles, we've really seen nothing new about Realmslore concerning any of the more prominent monkish orders since 3e.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  05:15:27  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it is something I would like to see more of.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  11:47:02  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could still see the Order of the Iron Gauntlet working in Bane´s name.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  23:30:07  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I consider them pretty inert organisations; they are hard to remove from Faerun completly.

They probably own several tracks of land, defended by austere temples to their patron deity. If assaulted they are pretty well defended, stocked, and have the swiftest messengers to send for allies in all of Faerun. Most of the smaller shrine monks are quite capable of surviving in the harsh conditions of the wilds, and can choose to scatter into it when attacked at the shrine. The monks of the larger monasteries are the equals of the best mercenary warbands money can buy, and with a well built temple, can hold back small armies.

Search here, in the various unofficial lore section are some cool ideas for other Realmsian monk orders. A favorite of mine are the Wrestlers of Knowledge, a monastic order devoted to Oghma which is practised feverishly by many monks in these here Candlekeep walls.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  08:35:58  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this is "General chat" and not "repeating canon" people could speculate or give their own creative ideas. This is all, after all, an imaginary world. Since hasbro is not releasing information it is something we could discuss and create ourselves.

What I was specifically referring to was that Azuth is dead (The Shining Fist Order) and Lathander is gone (The Order of the Sun Soul - although Sune and Selune still remain) How do you imagine/conceive such things to have shaped those monastic orders? Would they continue on? I believe there was speculation these deities were not always associated with these monastic orders.

Even if they have the capacity to survive the death of their patron gods would change the nature of their existence.

How tied to the worship of a deity are these (or do we believe or choose to creatively invent material) monastic orders?

In my own imagination of the realms, since it has not been fleshed out to any extent by the company that now owns it, would be that the Order of the Shining Fist would still serve Azuth's ideals even in death. With the ORder of the Sun Soul I think there would be friction as Sunites and Selunites might not see eye to eye with the worshipers of Amaunatar.

Edited by - MrHedgehog on 27 Sep 2012 08:38:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000