Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ranger Deity
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  00:30:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Genis

anything on the internet that you know of i could use to read up on them? or is the only easy clear thing to use Faiths & Pantheons?

Not sure and the 2e deity trilogy, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities is better for lore about the deities, their churches, followers, etc. Faiths & Pantheons for 3/3.5e basically shortened the info from those 3 books into 1 book.

To be honest, what you'll find regarding the FR deities online will never equal what you'll learn from the "Big Three FR Deity" books that Kuje mentioned above.

I've seen other scribes who've tried to hunt down all the FR deity lore they can that's been presented online -- whether official or unofficial -- and they still have plenty of questions. Questions which are almost always treated in the Big Three FR Deity books.

Really, they're the best course for learning about the deities of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  11:13:05  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also note that there are examples of Rangers of Mystra, Lathander, Tymora mentioned in existing lore.

So I think we can agree that the rules are not carved in stone. IMG a good background of RP explanation carries more weight than the rules, but I am fortunate to have a mature group.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  23:41:18  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Sparhawk"? Not THE Sparhawk! You know, with the bad-temper and the horse with a worse temper?

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  00:02:18  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, thats where I got the inspiration for the name from.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  21:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. See, everyone? The world doesn't end with the Realms! I just had to say that.

In some celestial voice

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  03:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what would be a good deity for a half elf ranger whose family was killed and is on a road to smite evil with an almost wild abandon??? any suggestions for a deity for a ranger such as that?

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  10:47:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shevarash should fit you nicely; he is the elven god of revenge (among other things) and has rangers among his clergy, at least inn the 2ed.
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2006 :  18:03:25  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aglaranna, no the world doesn't end with the Realms but it is still my favorite place to be!

You never fail until you stop trying.

Edited by - sparhawk42 on 05 Nov 2006 18:04:50
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  02:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I'd add something random to an otherwise sane conversation. It's my sworn duty.

In some celestial voice

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  02:18:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we find the topic, please. :) We've seem to have misplaced it.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  04:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i was on topic...i was discussing ranger deities!...Shevarash eh?....elvin god of revenge...but he is still a goodly god? i mean as far as that goes?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  07:43:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember I am working from 2ed. sources here, so things could have changed. Shevarash is CN with CG and CG clergy, among these rangers. As he is the god of revenge, loss and elven crusades he sounds to me to be what you are looking for Genis. If this becomes to vigilante for your ranger maybe another deity would do better though.
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  06:04:26  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no i pictured my ranger rather vigilante and revengeful...but still in a goodly way were as he only seeks revenge on those truly deserving of it and feels no guilt and punishing evil but still has a profoundly good heart....but as long as Shevarash meets up to those expectations its great thanks....if not i might have to keep looking....and i apologize for my ignorance and needy-ness!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  17:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Eilistraee as a ranger's patron. For one short Neverwinter Nights module, I made my PC a half-moon elf ranger/bard of Eilistraee.

The way you just described your ranger makes him a good candidate for this goddess, I think.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  17:49:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shevarash Dogma: The greatest enemy of the Seldarine is Lolth, who sought the corruption of Arvandor for the overthrow of the Creator of the Elves. The greatest enemy of the Fair Folk is the drow, the debased followers of the Spider Queen who long ago were enmeshed in her dark web. Redemption and revenge may be achieved through the utter destruction of the drow and the dark deities they serve. Only then may the joy of life begin anew. Hunt endlessly!

Eilistraee Dogma: Be always kind, except in battle with evil. Encourage happiness everywhere. Learn and teach new songs, dances, and the flowing dance of skilled swordwork. Promote harmony between the races. Befriend strangers, shelter those without homes, and feed the hungry. Repay rudeness with kindness. Repay violence with swift violence so that those who cause it are quickly dealt with. Aid drow in distress and give them the Lady's message: "A rightful place awaits you in the Realms Above, in the Land of the Great Light. Come in peace and live beneath the sun again where trees and flowers grow."

It should be noted that Shevarash has modified policy some as not to hunt and kill Drow followers of Eilistraee. Both deities hunt evil and seek to distroy evil creatures. Eilistraee however offers more flexiblity on an encounter.

Shevarash - See Drow kill it, remembering to ask question what deity they follow.

Eilistraee Try to keep Drow alive, unless they engaged in evil (which means likely 80 percent of Drow are safe tragets). Also Eilistraee is not Drow only focused.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  22:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info...i wouldnt say id only hate and or hunt the drow but i might go with Shevarash anyways

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000