Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 City model of Waterdeep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  00:35:09  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I recently borrowed the 2nd edition box set for Waterdeep from a friend, and the box set was complete with all the books and maps. I got really excited and started flipping through the map of the city when I realized I was looking at something much like a model.

1. Did some one make a scaled model of Waterdeep to make the city map?
2. If so, does it still exist?
3. Why does it seem that the focus of 2nd edition products compared to 3rd edition products vary so much? (Reading through the box set books I realized that there was strong emphasis on dopplgangers in Waterdeep... Yeah, I had no idea. And I feel dumb now. )

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  01:38:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
City System box set allowed you to build a replica of Waterdeep. :) Or at least parts of it. Also, that box set rocked because of the booklet of Waterdeep street scenes. There's gotta be 200+ street scenes in that booklet, broken down by ward.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  06:58:35  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje is right, of course. But as I read the question of Wandering_Mage, he is inquiring about the Box "City of Splendors", which was published much later than "Forgotten Realms City System".

In this box, one would find top-down photographies of a city scale model, complete with miniatures and such. But iirc they only built the so called "Adventurers Quarter" in South Ward, not the city as a whole (which would prove quite "filling", I think, when spaking of regularly sized basements...)

As to the wherabouts of that model... Maybe you should ask Steven or Ed in one of the "ask the author" threads?

Edited by - Alexander Heppe on 03 Nov 2006 06:59:09
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  08:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, I assume Wandering_mage to be refering to the City of Splendors box set, as this contains a complete section for the Adventurer's Quarter, which was shown as a constructed model.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  08:28:06  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, that set was of extreme use to my waterdeep campaigns, and still is. a question of conversion to 3e.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  12:42:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
would be a project though - building a Waterdeep model

(like they built model railroad layout miniature of german cities like Hamburg and Berlin).

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  13:19:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

(like they built model railroad layout miniature of german cities like Hamburg and Berlin).

Man, that would be a huge undertaking, even in Z scale! What scale was it?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  13:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt a room with 100 m square would not be enough... a to scale model usable for 25mm minis...muahahaha

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  14:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info fellow scribes. Now I guess we need to petition for WotC to build Waterdeep....in life like scale! Mwhahahahaha!!! Seriously though, at any of the past GENCON's did they build a model of Waterdeep? It seems so plausible. Doesn't it? I would love to look down on the City of Splendors as Ao... I mean a bird does.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2006 :  14:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plausible? Why? Admittedly, the Realms are well known, but what use would a model have from a marketing POV? GenCon is about events, what kind of event would a model of Waterdeep have aside from being an attraction for a few hundred Realmsian? Although I haven't been to GenCon since 2000 and basically hung out with the same crowd, other things are more important.

Even if they did build it, would they want to market it? Who would buy a big-ass scaled model of a city that takes up space and cannot be used?

being overly critical again...cheers

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  04:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Dennis Kauth of the TSR mapping department made a 25mm (well, closer to 30mm scale) map of the Adventurers' Quarter of Waterdeep. Don't rightly remember why he wanted to (other than perhaps merely that), but I wasn't about to stop him. You should be able to guess the scale, as there's 25mm minis within the photos on the poster map.

So far as I know, it still exists; I happened to be out sick the day they auctioned that model off, so I believe Anne Brown bought it (and the proceeds for that auction, along with so many other things, went to charity around 1996 or so).

City System was the first box, but that's a collection of dozens of maps to fit together the map of Waterdeep in scale with Ed's sketch maps. The closest TSR came to ever producing a bigger city map was if you'd collected every Marvel Super Heroes game product and pieced together the generic cityscape maps.

As for building a scale model of the city, there lies madness. Remember that even at 25mm scale, to fit MOunt Waterdeep and the Castle and Piergeiron's Palace, you'd be looking at models similar in scale to what WETA built for the Lord of the Rings movies.

Steven
who hopes those of you Americans eligible to do so are registered to vote next Tuesday

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2006 :  22:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome Steve! That was exactly what I was looking for.

PS-I will be a voting myself on Tuesday. May Tyr watch over us on that day.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  09:44:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Man, that would be a huge undertaking, even in Z scale! What scale was it?

It was built in H0 (1:87). At the moment the Model of Hamburg has a size of about 900 sqmtrs. It is very impressive to look at, really. If anyone likes to get the link - I am happy to share it with you (if not too far off topic )

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2006 :  15:50:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was worn out when I made tactical maps of the Jaelre compound in Lords of Darkness using Dundjinni. Look pretty cool though, but it wasn't 3-D. Waterdeep is a project that could suck a significant portion of your life away, methinks.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  08:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it won't be the same, but maybe someone should try to make it on a computer. Neverwinter nights 2 just came out, and you can build your own modules quite easily with it (although it may not have enough different buildings for a city as big as Waterdeep).

If someone will do Waterdeep in real life I think printing parts of it from Faerun Interactive Atlas might help a lot (though it will use a huge amount of paper and ink to print it completely).

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  00:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there was also an "aerial/artistic map" of Waterdeep (drawn by Valerie Valusek) in one of the boxed sets or the City System. It was in fact quite accurate, and gave a good picture of what the City of Splendors might look like...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000