Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Rogues Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  16:24:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have read Yellow Silk of the Rouge Series resently and I really enjoyed it. Now I am interested in how the other books in that series might be.

Which books did you read of that series and how did you like them?

What grade would you give each one (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest)?

Thanks in advance for your shared opinion.

NOTE: No spoilers in this thread, please, as I intend to read those books! Thanks

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  16:30:14  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of the others do you have?

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  16:30:35  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To start off, I will share my opinion about "Yellow Silk" with you:

I hadn't heard much about the series before I read this novel and when I saw this book for sale at eBay I did not think but just bought forthe reason that it was a FR novel and for its very modest price. It turned out to be one of the best FR novels I have read so far.

I would grade it with an 8 (but only to leave room for better ones yet to come )

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  16:34:07  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the folowing

The Alabaster Staff
The Black Bouquet
The Crimson Gold

All are a good read.
Though I prefer The black Bouquet

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  16:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree there. All are nice reads, but I, too, think "The Black Bouquet" is the best. If I would have to sort them in order, then "Alabaster Staff" would be next and "Crimson Gold" third, which isnīt to say itīs bad, since I liked the entire Rogue-Series.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  18:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

I agree there. All are nice reads, but I, too, think "The Black Bouquet" is the best. If I would have to sort them in order, then "Alabaster Staff" would be next and "Crimson Gold" third, which isnīt to say itīs bad, since I liked the entire Rogue-Series.

Well met

And where do ye rate, The Yellow Silk, Dart? I know it received a lot of praise (from myself included), so would be interested to hear more thoughts on this.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2006 :  19:09:22  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have read all of them except the Yellow Silk... Looking forward to getting my hands on it. Loved the others.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  10:33:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting to hear that, as it seems, 3 of you have not read "Yellow Silk" yet! Having read only that one thus far, I still dare to say - you missed out on something.

Would you not agree, Alaundo!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  11:02:10  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way - if you might try to be so kind to actually use my metionend grading system?! [What grade would you give each one (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest)?]

It is helpful to get a better idea of what each person considers to be "good".

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2006 :  12:15:13  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

I have the folowing

The Alabaster Staff
The Black Bouquet
The Crimson Gold

All are a good read.
Though I prefer The black Bouquet

The Black Bouquet # 8
The Crimson Gold # 7
The Alabaster Staff # 7

there you go all rated

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  01:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Alaundo...

Indeed, The Yellow Silk receives praise from this humble book-devourer, too. For me, if I had to choose "best one", which I donīt really like since comparisons are seldom fair, I would rate it at the top along The Black Bouquet. The former has a small lead story-wise in my eyes, but the latter is by Richard Lee Byers, whose writing-style I absolutely adore, which edges in out (for me at least)

Ratings-wise...

The Yellow Silk & The Black Bouqet at 8.5
The Alabaster Staff at 7.5
The Crimson Gold at 6.5

Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  15:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read the novel "Crimson Gold" from the Rouge series. This book was the worst FR book I have read. It started really interesting, but the ending just sucked.

I just remember a few flaws, but they were simply terrible.

A vulcano broke out from a mountain, which hosts the main temple of the elemental deity of fire, the Zulkiers of Thay were incredible inactive cowards (and trusted their land and their very existence into the hands of a foreign slave), a Demon lord, who was imprisoned into a rune, which was a whole city, was permanently killed with a single dagger stroke with a nonenchanted dagger (!) (shouldn't they simply be imprisoned for 101 years in the abyss, when killed in the prime material plane?), Tazi had no reason at all to save Thay, Szass Tamm a century old lich fell in love (!) with a teenager, because he saw his own strenght in her, etc, etc...

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Reader
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  19:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Reader's Homepage Send Reader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also liked The Black Bouqet most. Very cool story.

Ratings:

The Black Bouqet at 9
The Alabaster Staff at 7
The Crimson Gold at 6.5
The Yellow Silk 6
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  19:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read Crimson Gold, but liked the others. Fans of non-RSE novels should look into these. The Black Bouqet is my favorite.

BTW, I seem to recall a very similar thread. How about merging them?
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  19:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

I have not read Crimson Gold, but liked the others. Fans of non-RSE novels should look into these. The Black Bouqet is my favorite.

BTW, I seem to recall a very similar thread. How about merging them?

I think Ergdusch wanted a "non-spoiler" thread on the series

(though there are now spoilers)

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  20:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How, exactly, did I spoil anything? Is "non-RSE" a spoiler?
Check you quotes before rolling your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  20:33:57  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume Kalin meant another post, quire vividly detailing some things out of Crimson Gold*winks*

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  20:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How, exactly, did I spoil anything? Is "non-RSE" a spoiler?
Check you quotes before rolling your eyes.

you didn't spoil anything...and I wasn't rolling my eyes at you...I was rolling my eyes at the fact that Iliphar1 did not seem to notice Ergdusch's orginal post

my reply to you was about your suggestion to merge this thread with the "mainstream" thread

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 31 Oct 2006 14:53:26
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  20:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar
my reply to you was about your suggestion to merge this thread with the "mainstream" thread

Ah. Sorry about being so jumpy. I seen now why a spoiler-free thread has its merits.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  20:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ah. Sorry about being so jumpy. I seen now why a spoiler-free thread has its merits.

no problem

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  14:51:34  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, a spoiler free thread would be nice, so I and everyone else can get an idea of the "joy factor" reading this series, without being given the whole story beforehand.

Appreciate your cooperation in this.

@ Iliphar1: Your opinion is much wanted here but could you please edit your post by erasing the spoiler or at least clearly indicating his as being such (see CoC). Thanks.

@ Kalin: Now that the misunderstanding is worked out, could you please edit your post as well and remove the quote. Thanks to you as well.

@ Snotlord: Merging would not be such a great idea for the reasons mentioned above. But if you like you could put a link to said thread in this one. How about that?! Also, what grades would you give the books that you read (for grading system see above)?

Edited by - Ergdusch on 31 Oct 2006 14:53:45
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  07:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read all of them and the yellow silk is by far the best
The Black Bonquet Contains one of my favourite characters Ever:Sefris a Monk of Shar
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  15:32:10  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with most of the posters on this thread:

Yellow Silk 9.5
Black Boquet 9
Alabaster Staff 8
Crimson Gold 7

I rated Crimson Gold a 7 due to its high "readability" factor. It really is a fun, well written book. It's just that some of the protaganist's motives seem a bit askew. If you're into Thay, Red Wizards and all that jazz, then this is a can't miss.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  13:23:50  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all of you that gave me an idea of how the rest of the Rogue series books are. Due to your input (special thanks to you Del) I went ahead and bought them. Noe I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series, waiting for Black Boquet, Alabaster Staff & Crimson Gold to arrive in a short while. Once I am done reading I will get back to you of course to share my opinion about those as well.

Keep on posting your opinions.

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  18:45:07  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight

I read all of them and the yellow silk is by far the best
The Black Bonquet Contains one of my favourite characters Ever:Sefris a Monk of Shar

I agree with you about Seferis

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  20:26:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the Black Bouquet to be the best of them. It made me laugh at the end, when "teh uber siikrit" was revealed.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2006 :  14:12:54  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Thanks to all of you that gave me an idea of how the rest of the Rogue series books are. Due to your input (special thanks to you Del) I went ahead and bought them. Noe I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series, waiting for Black Boquet, Alabaster Staff & Crimson Gold to arrive in a short while. Once I am done reading I will get back to you of course to share my opinion about those as well.

Keep on posting your opinions.

Ergdusch

Always a pleasure, You have the books now so what do you think so far?

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2006 :  18:52:09  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit - have not been able to get started with them - jet!

I will get back here, once it has been so far.

Greetz, Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

darkwalk
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  21:29:54  Show Profile  Visit darkwalk's Homepage Send darkwalk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Black Boquet is the best one to me
Then comes the yellow silk and allabaster staff
Lastly crimson gold.

Crimson gold was not that bad too. The duergar and szass tam makes it readable enough.

----- I grant you your soul, but not your life. Be happy that I have found a measure of mercy. -----
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  12:52:44  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I promised, Delz, I would get back here once I'm done with any of the books.

I just finished the Alabaster Staff.

I liked the book due to a few interesting twists in the story line and the 'too-good' kinda thief that is somewhat unusual to the character of a thief. However, IMO the ending could not live up to my expectations and the rest of the book, leaving me kind of unsatisfied.......

therefore I rate it with 6.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Jan 2007 12:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  12:12:07  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After finishing The Alabaster Staff I picked up The Black Boquet and started reading. Actually I rushed though it reading until this very morning. So tired but happy I sit here to let you know my thoughts of this book than.

The Black Bouquet is a great read, very enjoyable with a great setting (in the BKs!) While reading I truely felt the 'move' of the city and its inhabitants. The story line is very well too as are the characters. The three main characters are so very different to each other. All in all Ihave to say: great job Mr. Byers. The second of your books I read (after Dissolution) That i enjoyed whole-heartelly.

Terefore a definite 8. (As Yellow Silk a 'must-read' for all fans of the thiefs genre, IMO!!!)

Edited by - Ergdusch on 03 Jan 2007 12:15:20
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000