Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What book/books should I read next?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  23:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I havent purchased a FR book in some time now and im wondering what to get, now i was thinking between the War of the spider queen or that other single book Salvatore wrote...the highwayman....is that good? and yes im an Salvatore fan...we all know...and i know that virtually none of you agree with me...so hows war of the spider queen? hows the highwayman....etc....anything else thats good...let me know...but perferably tell me how WoSQ or the highwayman first if any of you have read that...whatever...feel free to mention any good books

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  00:18:40  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I personally have only read one RAS book. (Want to say Homeland, the beginning of Dritz.) and I throughly enjoyed the War of the Spider Queen series. It was good writing and a little bit helpful about what it is to be a Drow. Just my 2cp if it helps.

Also forgot to mention it but another good book. IMHO is City of Splendors by Ed Greenwook and Elaine Cunningham. For me it was a page turner. Couldn't put it down!

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 07 Dec 2006 00:20:18
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  00:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob's non-Realms work is generally thought -- except by people who are fans more of Drizzt than Bob -- to be his best.

War of the Spider Queen, with all respect to its authors, was created for the many drow fans who craved drow faster than Bob could write them. If drow is what you want, you'll probably enjoy them.

As for other Realms books, there's lots of decent ones and lots of tastes. The most significant one in terms of the original and core Realms is Swords of Eveningstar, and that's my natural answer to that kind of question.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  01:52:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Bob's non-Realms work is generally thought -- except by people who are fans more of Drizzt than Bob -- to be his best.

War of the Spider Queen, with all respect to its authors, was created for the many drow fans who craved drow faster than Bob could write them. If drow is what you want, you'll probably enjoy them.

As for other Realms books, there's lots of decent ones and lots of tastes. The most significant one in terms of the original and core Realms is Swords of Eveningstar, and that's my natural answer to that kind of question.

Having read most of Bob's work, I must say I like the Cleric Quintet best of all. To each his own. I agree with you at the Spider Queen books and the reason they were done. I still enjoyed them for the most part.

I liked the Year of Rogue Dragons series. I liked much of Sembia series. I enjoy Elaine Cunninghams books particularly the Song and Swords and the aforementioned City of Splendors. Some of the newer "class" books are hit and miss. I liked Bladesinger and Mistress of the Night for example.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  07:19:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like drow you will probably enjoy War of the Spider queen, I cant say much about Salvatores non-realms books, sorry. I would suggest Cunninghams Song and Swords, Steven Schends Blackstaff, Eds Elminsters Daughter, Sword of Eveningstar and his collaboration with Elaine, City of Splendors. The Giants trilogy and the Moonshae books I like, but many people don't. Now, this is a matter of taste, so you might not like these books at all, but these would be my recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  07:28:55  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

If you like drow you will probably enjoy War of the Spider queen, I cant say much about Salvatores non-realms books, sorry. I would suggest Cunninghams Song and Swords, Steven Schends Blackstaff, Eds Elminsters Daughter, Sword of Eveningstar and his collaboration with Elaine, City of Splendors. The Giants trilogy and the Moonshae books I like, but many people don't. Now, this is a matter of taste, so you might not like these books at all, but these would be my recommendations.

I both like Ed and Elaine books, but I was really disapointed with City of Splendors, so I would not recommend it to begin with.

Elaine's Song & Swords series, even if a bit outdated by 3.x changes is IMHO one of the best introduction to the Realms.

Blackstaff is indeed among my favorites, but you can't appreciate it fully without a solid FR lore background (including those famous old comics books!)

Spellfire was my introduction, and even if it clearly shows the flavor of the Realms, it has some major flaws [thanks to bad editing].

Edited by - Skeptic on 07 Dec 2006 07:35:15
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2006 :  22:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  07:50:52  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend Blackstaff and the erevis cale triology, and yes Genis you should read war of the spider queen, suspect that you would like it

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  00:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Return of the archwizards
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2006 :  03:58:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of them . my fellow scribes have offered some good suggestions. How about spellfire or the sembia series. Anything by Paul Kemp, Elaine Cunningham, or Ed Greenwood. These are some of my favorite, but then I would have to still have to refer you to my first statementThey are all great IMO. good reading my friend!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  02:00:11  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight

See I did not like that one at all.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  04:19:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight

See I did not like that one at all.

It's one of the more hit-or-miss trilogies. Some folk love it, others hate it. There seems to be little middle ground.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2006 :  06:33:46  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
true. I liked this trilogy very much. I still stand firm in my belief of read them all and THEN make your OWN decision on what is great, middle ground, or bad reads. 20 years of realms in my life and still going strong
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  13:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, the first book I read in the FR series, was The Crystal Shard. I worked my way through that series, and have hit a good bit of the Realms-ian stuff over time from there. All of that said, I recommend you start at The Moonshae Trilogy by Douglas Niles. I won't get into spoilers here, but since it was the first book published for FR way back in the day, I'd say go with the "first". Now if they'll ever re-release The Druidhome and Maztica trilogy's again...

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2007 :  17:36:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Enialus Meliamne

All of that said, I recommend you start at The Moonshae Trilogy by Douglas Niles. I won't get into spoilers here, but since it was the first book published for FR way back in the day, I'd say go with the "first". Now if they'll ever re-release The Druidhome and Maztica trilogy's again...

The Moonshae trilogy is a lot of the reason I haven't read the Maztica trilogy... The Moonshae trilogy so utterly failed to grab me that I was rushing to get done with the books, just to move on to something else. The Druidhome trilogy was considerably better, but I can't say I'd recommend any of those books to anyone, unless they were specifically interested in the area and/or had read many other Realms novels by many other authors.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  04:31:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Maztica Trilogy was much better. While not the best trilogies I would read them. If I had to pick one trilogy to represent what the realms were about though, these would be about last and second to last. Still, read em all
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  11:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

All of that said, I recommend you start at The Moonshae Trilogy by Douglas Niles. I won't get into spoilers here, but since it was the first book published for FR way back in the day, I'd say go with the "first". Now if they'll ever re-release The Druidhome and Maztica trilogy's again...

The Moonshae trilogy is a lot of the reason I haven't read the Maztica trilogy... The Moonshae trilogy so utterly failed to grab me that I was rushing to get done with the books, just to move on to something else. The Druidhome trilogy was considerably better, but I can't say I'd recommend any of those books to anyone, unless they were specifically interested in the area and/or had read many other Realms novels by many other authors.

I actually did enjoy those books...a great deal in fact. I may actually have to bite the bullet, and go see about grabbing the Maztica and Druidhome trilogy's off of EBay or something...

Unashamed RAS fan.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  12:54:22  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually did enjoy those books...a great deal in fact. I may actually have to bite the bullet, and go see about grabbing the Maztica and Druidhome trilogy's off of EBay or something...

Well if you like the Moonshae series (I do), then you should definitely get a hold of the Druidhome trilogy, which are as good, if not better, than the first trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  14:44:33  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO the WoSQ is a must-read! I lloved the biook even though the ending was somewhat unsastifying. Besides, it is a trilgy that has a somewhat unusual taste to it as it is set in the underdark with high-power characters only. Besides I liked the story arch.

I greatly enjoyed them and can only advice you to read them as well.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  17:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

IMO the WoSQ is a must-read! I lloved the biook even though the ending was somewhat unsastifying. Besides, it is a trilgy that has a somewhat unusual taste to it as it is set in the underdark with high-power characters only. Besides I liked the story arch.

Aye...That's on my agenda as well, but only after I finish up the realms changing list I'm working on...Got Cormyr and a few others on order, just waiting for them to ship (I'm overseas, so it will be a little bit before I get them). DEF going to read them though. Thanks for the input!!!

Unashamed RAS fan.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  17:37:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's six books. It's not a trilogy.

The series was quite well-liked by a great many people. I am one of the few I know about that didn't care for it.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  18:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I liked RotA, and the entire Avatar arch...well, mainly books 4 and 5 of it, the Avatar trilogy is basically saved by what Troy Denning did in Waterdeep, but since the series represents the most profound change in the Realms you have to read Shadowdale and Tantras first. Those two books are the reason I skipped on the chance of buying the Harper novel(s?) written by Scott Ciencin.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  20:34:36  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, tastes differ, but I would say that The Night parade is quite a bit better than Ciencin's Avatar books. Some people think its great and some don't like it; but I personally would recommend it if you like the older Realms books.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  16:07:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's six books. It's not a trilogy.

It's a hexology!

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000