Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Darkvision (spoilers!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sarephim
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  04:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Sarephim's Homepage Send Sarephim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I just picked this up today, and I must say it was indeed worth the $7.99, I spent on it.

I was excited to finally have a book on the Imarskai(sp?) and their history; however, I do have some "beefs".

1. Any party with a Earth Elemental Prince as a party member is... well over the top.

2. I felt that there were certain "minor" characters that were created simply for the purpose of being killed off.

Other than that, I must say, I like the rest although the entire concept of the superhuman plagents reminded me of something from Marvel or DC.

Edited by - Sarephim on 23 Oct 2006 05:00:53

Lysan Lurraxol
Acolyte

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  10:10:08  Show Profile  Visit Lysan Lurraxol's Homepage Send Lysan Lurraxol a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Darkvision too. It was fun and well written, but sometimes the modernisms grated.
The Elemental Earth Prince was too much, and when Eined died, I really didn't feel anything, it was worse because the characters described it as a sacrifice. It seemed more like an accident.
("No stop, Grandad. Whoops, AGGGGGGGGGHHHH. Thump. Ooooze").
I was glad to see Ususi again though, and the alcoholic elf was wonderful.

http://lysan.livejournal.com
"Come join me in the dark..."
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  12:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can discuss this book at the Book Club, if you like.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7692

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  14:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarephim

1. Any party with a Earth Elemental Prince as a party member is... well over the top.

Well, the abilities of Torhmuld clearly shows that he is a dwarf over the top - what is a wonderful thing, see the first great/possibly epic dwarven character appearing in a novel (after the over-elven flood)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  19:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

You can discuss this book at the Book Club, if you like.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7692

Well met

Indeed. Thank ye, Braveheart Strangely, the book club for last month has had little attention. Darkvision is a splendid novel and one of the best in the series, IMHO. I certainly recommend scribes to take a read of this particular tome.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly