Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Darkvision: Chapters 23 - 31
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  17:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Darkvision (Book 3 of The Wizards series), by Bruce R. Cordell. Please discuss chapters 23 - 31 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2006 :  01:08:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I wasn't let down by some of the Imaskari lore. It did feel pretty much in line with what I would have expected, and yet it wasn't too predictable. I can definately see the Imaskari summoning something like Pandorym to work as a hedge against the "Mulan" deities.

I like Ususi for the most part in this, although she lost a bit of her sarcastic edge in here. I know he didn't have a lot of lines, but I enjoyed Prince Monolith as well. I will say this though, I hope that the "High Imaskar" comment is something that isn't explored for a LONG time . . . we have quite a few old cultures that have returned to the Realms that need to settle into the present before we tackle another one.

I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Thormud, but I did like the character.

I get the same feeling from Kiril in this book that I got from Ususi in Lady of Poison, i.e. that she has enough unresolved issues that she is likely a candidate for leading character status if Cordell writes another Realms book . . . given that Stardeep could qualify as either a dungeon or a citadel, I imagine there is some room for another book of his in upcoming series.

I am intruigued by why she left the Sidelyuir and her position at Stardeep, which we now know was a prison, and to get to know a bit more about Angul.

At any rate, overall I definately enjoyed the book, but there were some definate rough spots in the middle, between the lack of definition of Durpari religion, the modern terminology, and the strange dervish elves, but the ride was worth it, as it wrapped up nicely.

I'd pick up another Cordell book if he writes more, especially if it resolves some of the issues he left hanging with Kiril. (Though I would really be happy if Thormud shows up as well)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2067 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  14:43:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting book.

My guess is Bruce's next book will tackle Kiril, not Ususi. In particular, the fact that he only brought back 1 character from Lady of Poison suggests he might do this again. I thought that was refreshing to let characters who have finished their story arc go and introduce new ones.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  15:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, I wasn't let down by some of the Imaskari lore. It did feel pretty much in line with what I would have expected, and yet it wasn't too predictable. I can definately see the Imaskari summoning something like Pandorym to work as a hedge against the "Mulan" deities.

Yes, it works the same way to me. The Pandorym concept make me remember of the Terminator movies, a defense machine that becames a major threath to his own creators.

quote:
I like Ususi for the most part in this, although she lost a bit of her sarcastic edge in here. I know he didn't have a lot of lines, but I enjoyed Prince Monolith as well. I will say this though, I hope that the "High Imaskar" comment is something that isn't explored for a LONG time . . . we have quite a few old cultures that have returned to the Realms that need to settle into the present before we tackle another one.

Agree, agree, and agree. Ususi lost some of her sarcasm, but she divided the spotlight with other interesting characters, too. Prince Monolith is a very interesting character. Itīs the first time that I see an elemental lord receive this treatment, and I want to see this happen more times. And, about the "High Imaskar"... really, letīs give some time to the Realms... itīs too much things happening at the same time. I think that the imaskari will not trust fully in the Datharasti family and, IMHO, they will need of some good years of relationship before something like "High Imaskar" became something more than a dream.

quote:
I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Thormud, but I did like the character.

Second to this. I stay, in every page, expecting to see the dwarf recovering and come to the action. Itīs a pity that it donīt happening.

quote:
I get the same feeling from Kiril in this book that I got from Ususi in Lady of Poison, i.e. that she has enough unresolved issues that she is likely a candidate for leading character status if Cordell writes another Realms book . . . given that Stardeep could qualify as either a dungeon or a citadel, I imagine there is some room for another book of his in upcoming series.

I am intruigued by why she left the Sidelyuir and her position at Stardeep, which we now know was a prison, and to get to know a bit more about Angul.

Yes, another book, and Cordell let another female character with some misteries to unfold. The past of Kiril and his relationship with Angul is something that I really want to see more and more.

quote:
At any rate, overall I definately enjoyed the book, but there were some definate rough spots in the middle, between the lack of definition of Durpari religion, the modern terminology, and the strange dervish elves, but the ride was worth it, as it wrapped up nicely.

I'd pick up another Cordell book if he writes more, especially if it resolves some of the issues he left hanging with Kiril. (Though I would really be happy if Thormud shows up as well)

Oh, I enjoyed it very much, too. The same rough spots caught me, too. Except the strange dervish elves, that I find interesting, and want to think more and see more about desert elves in the Raurin... one another thing that I donīt enjoyed too much was how the things stay "easy" for Ususi, in the end. Given the proportion of the danger that the group was fighting, I was expecting that the heroes (specially Ususi) have some more troubles in the end.

But itīs a very good book, anyway.
And I am expecting too something more about Kiril. And if Thormud was the protagonist, it will be better yet.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  15:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Very interesting book.

My guess is Bruce's next book will tackle Kiril, not Ususi. In particular, the fact that he only brought back 1 character from Lady of Poison suggests he might do this again. I thought that was refreshing to let characters who have finished their story arc go and introduce new ones.

--Eric

Iīm thinking the same, Eric. Cordell let some good points to develop more and more Kiril and his past.
As a fan of Star elves, I will wait to see a book about Kiril.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  14:06:13  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i loved this book as well. Although i have to say that if the Imaskari, are going to get a new realm, why can't the Jhaamdath. I mean geesh, enough already call it the year of the Anchient is new again or something. Its a bit much to have all the old empires suddenly and i mean just suddenly start new empires, and rebirth. Given that of all the Realms that have the best plotline for a rebirt it is the Imaskari, due to the fact that they had a hidden realm. i mean Shade was forgotten entirely, i do want to see Jhaamdath get equal treatment though! I did love the plothook with Kiril as well. I enjoyed this book about a minor character in another book that i had forgotten about till i started reading this book. Although i thought usuni had no memory of her old empire in the last book, but maybe i am mistaken. Anyway it was a good book! Is the wizards series the return of old lost empires series though seriously?

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2006 :  14:28:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to be fair, I liked this book, but didn't love it. The opening was really interesting, and like the previous book by Cordell, I really did like the characters and care about what was going on with them.

But there were some things that still could have been polished more. The Shining South didn't feel much different than any other part of Faerun to me in this book, and the Adama, a very important faith in the Shining South, was only slightly touched on by a character that had a pretty non-standard view of the religion. And I have to think that you could portray a merchants consortium without it looking like a corporate boardroom.

In the end, Cordell makes really likable, interesting characters, and comes up with interesting situations and introduces things that are "possible" but not detailed before (the dwarven geomancer, for example), and I like that aspect of his writing. His pacing is very good, and often keeps you moving forward in his story. I do hope that he gets more comfortable with Faerun and its cultures and its "voice" from a novel point of view.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2006 :  04:07:44  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the tale had a great ending. here you have 3 seperate groups unknowingly meeting to vanquish a common goal. each group is mighty in thier own right. Warian's group with his supernatural crystal arm, Kiril's group with her God sword and Ususi's group with the Vengenance Taker's super assasian skills. in the end they meet and kick some major butt. I should of read Lady of Poison first. I probably would of got more out of the book. I'll read it now.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2006 :  03:34:54  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed Darkvision and definitely will be on board for the next Bruce Cordell book. My only complaint is that the story didn't make me care about Ususi. The stuff about her blind sister (alternate time-line twin??) didn't work for me. Kiril and even Warian were more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2006 :  23:52:29  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll agree that this was quite a good story with just a few minor complaints. The characters were a lot of fun and interesting. I very much enjoyed reading about Iahn, Kiril, Warian, Thormud, and Prince Monolith. I think that if Bruce had more room to develop his story, the book would have been even better. As the book ended the pace just seemed to pick up too quickly for my liking.

It seems to me that Wizards of the Coast has some excellent talent working for them, many of which don't really get the opportunity to flex their creative muscles. I could be wrong but it often seems that writers just have to tie up the loose ends and as books get midway through, there is less description, the characters start to lose their personalities, and tasks/problems that seemed insurmountable early on, are solved with greater ease than you would have expected when initially reading about them. It must be very difficult to develop an original, non-linear plotline and develop multiple characters with different arcs and totally differentand believable backgrounds, then have them all move together towards a seemingly different climax, all within a few hundred pages. Magic.

In any event, I really did like this book. Too bad we didn't see more of Thormud, who I thought was great. Kiril is a star (no pun intended) in the making. A really believable flawed hero. Well done, Mr. Cordell.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2006 :  07:37:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand there are reasons for it, but I do get the feeling that the 320 page or so limit for books does seem to limit some plot elements that might otherwise be developed. I've felt that in many other books as well. As I said, I'm sure there is a reason for the general size of the books that they seem to encourage writers to keep to, but it would be interesting to see an "author's cut" of some novels.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  05:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Authorīs cut? That idea got me absolutely, positively drooling...

Regarding the novel, interesting background pieces and interesting characters, combined with a nice plot merging the three parties into one finale. Iīll admit I would have liked to see a lot more of the Dwarven Geomancer, whom I liked a lot and I just couldnīt connect with Ususi for some reason, but it was a good read.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2006 :  06:19:35  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel the single book stories are too short while the trilogies are too padded.
Go to Top of Page

Besshalar
Learned Scribe

Finland
166 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2006 :  12:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Besshalar's Homepage Send Besshalar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished this and I have to say I liked it. The characters we're nicely done and the Imaskari lore was quite interesting. Although I was a bit perplexed as well when the desert elves we're introduced.

The large print giveth , and the small print taketh away.
-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  06:03:16  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I just finished this last night - and must say that I did indeed like the book as a whole.

I agree with the 'modernism' terms somewhat. I beleive KEJR mentioned a "Six Million Dollar Man" joke - but I think I missed it.... :)

As for the term 'Plangent", it did not bother me overmuch, though calling the store - the Body Shop seemed a bit odd - but I'm not sure what I would have chosed as better! :)

As far as the Adama religion part - I'm not sure that her description is necessarilly on the 'outside' of the norm. I suppose most/all of the merchant families may have the same/similar beleifs about the setup - but I dont know really.

I have also thought that the pacing was off - maybe the last 50 pages or so. I *really* liked how the three groups 'ran into' each other and worked together.

I also was a bit surprised about the 'High Imaskar' - I hope that it is some time to come. Another thought about this - if things are not kept pretty quiet - some interested parties may come looking for the tower. I can just imagine the Shades being interested in all the weaponry and magic stored in the Weapons Locker.... Not to mention the Thayans and various other groups...

One thing flagged for me enough that I made a note - and had a question - in case anyone had an answer:

Om P 156 the term 'mithradate' is used - and seems to be a food of some sort - and was wondering if there was any information on this already. :)

Also - as a general question - it bothered me a little that there was NO mention of what happened to all the Plangents once Pandorym was sealed off again. Did they notice nothing - and life goes on as normal, did they lose the 'augmented' level of the implants and become more like Warian was - or some other outcome? I think I'd like to see a short story dealing with these aspects - somewhat like tieing up a loose end in some ways.

All in all - I really liked the book - and would definately like to see more from any of these characters.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2007 :  03:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

I enjoyed Darkvision and definitely will be on board for the next Bruce Cordell book. My only complaint is that the story didn't make me care about Ususi. The stuff about her blind sister (alternate time-line twin??) didn't work for me. Kiril and even Warian were more interesting.

Yeah, that part about Ususi's sister didn't work for me, either. For something that was supposed to be a major revelation for the character, it wasn't touched on or explained very much! In fact, it didn't seem like Ususi got much screen time at all in this book--granted, maybe the book wasn't supposed to be about her, but let's be honest, she appeared to be set up as the protagonist. I wanted to learn more about her, but I didn't. Thormud's plotline seemed to just kind of "drop" and fizzle out as well.

Overall, I liked the book and found the main plotline intriguing, even though I agree with the comments along the line of "great story, wrong setting" that I've seen. I have to say the final battle was kinda underwhelming for me though...the author just never really put a good picture of all the creatures in the Weapon Cache into my mind--the way Ususi was taking them all in, you'd think the various weird creatures weren't really a big deal, since they were described so...casually.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2007 :  23:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Om P 156 the term 'mithradate' is used - and seems to be a food of some sort - and was wondering if there was any information on this already. :)

Dhomal

I realize its a little late but I was reading through this thread for the first time today and thought that I would answer your question. Mithridate is a word for a universal antidote.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=mithridate

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000