Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Information on The Harpers?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  09:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anyone out there could point me in the direction of any info concerning the Harpers in Faerun. (Besides "The Code Of The Harpers" source book and Harper novels that is) Most of the other 'official' cannon only has a paragraph or two in them, but nothing as substantial as either of the above sourcebooks.
My PC has just recently joined the ranks of this austere group and I'd like to know more about them.
Thanks!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

Edited by - Yasraena on 04 Apr 2003 09:10:33

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  11:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the 3rd edition sourcebook Lords of Darkness contains such information. Also IIRC, the 2nd edition Cloak and Dagger?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  13:05:11  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they make an appearance in Cloak and Dagger, as well as in Cult of the Dragon, maybe in Ruins of Zhzntil Keep, some info in Waterdeep and the North, ... it's all that comes on the top of my head
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  21:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad: What's the IIRC?
zemd: I've read through COTD, RoZK, and WatN, and there isn't that much in any one of those that COTH doesn't cover more in-depth. But thanks anyway!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  00:18:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"IIRC" is just chatspeak for "If I Recall Correctly." Nothing to do with FR -- just people too lazy to type the whole thing out.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  07:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm. I told you I was new to this forum stuff.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  10:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just "forum stuff" -- it's a sort of "cyber-dialect." I just call it chatspeak. It means all those little annoying bits that people write out to avoid writing the whole thing: "i" instead of "I" (or capitolizing anything, for that matter), "IMHO" for "In My Humble Opinion," or "ROTFLMHO" which means "Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Head Off."

I find these a bit annoying. The only exceptions I make are for "lol" and "brb." "lol" because it's become an expression of emotion that can't really be portrayed in normal English; and "brb" because when you need to run somewhere quick, you need a time saver, and so "brb" isn't evidence of lazyness.

Disclaimer:
The views expressed herein are solely that of the writer, and are not to be taken as a statement that said writer is higher and mighter than readers of whom this message might be construed as to be referring to.

()

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  21:23:43  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Rad: What's the IIRC?
zemd: I've read through COTD, RoZK, and WatN, and there isn't that much in any one of those that COTH doesn't cover more in-depth. But thanks anyway!

Yes but what is more revelant knowing someone's ennemies. You know what hapers stand against
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  22:36:30  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yasraena:
quote:
Thanks Bookwyrm. I told you I was new to this forum stuff.

Here is a helpful link: http://www.acronyms.ch/

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 05 Apr 2003 22:37:09
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2003 :  03:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd
Yes but what is more revelant knowing someone's ennemies. You know what hapers stand against

Yes it is and yes I do. And boy, do we have a lot of them! The Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon, The Red Wizards, etc. Having to fight these groups was the main reason I chose my quote. It's very easy to take on the practices of thine enemies to defeat them. But if you do, your no better than they are. And Yasraena has to really be conscious of that fact. (BTW-the quote is a bastardized version of one that I read somewhere. I thought it very appropriate for a Harper, who also happens to be a Drow)

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Dragon Cultist
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  16:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Dragon Cultist's Homepage Send Dragon Cultist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Yes it is and yes I do. And boy, do we have a lot of them! The Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon...
...Having to fight these groups was the main reason I chose my quote. It's very easy to take on the practices of thine enemies to defeat them. But if you do, your no better than they are.

You wound me, my dear. Those Who Harp and the Wearers of the Purple, enemies?
And to think that all this time, me and mine have only been seeking...peaceful coexistence...

"And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers.
But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire..."
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  18:39:15  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if u have the Baldur's Gate game manual u can turn 2 pg 51. theres not much but it tells some

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  01:39:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it is funny that this old scroll be again brought to the fore...I was just reading on the EN World forums yesterday about some possible rumors that the Harpers/Moonstars may be getting their own section of a new sourcebook in 3e FR...Part of a tome that is meant to detail the Good- and Neutral-aligned power-groups of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Jan 2004 01:40:03
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  01:46:11  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be intresting to read such a sourcebook. Although I shudder to once again read about Harpers, it would provide intresting Insight into their current troubles... Actually what WAS the cause of the current split in the Harper group?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  02:10:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...Khelben's ego...

Seriously...
The main source of the schism which lead to the creation of the Moonstars was the alleged dealings that Master Arunsun had supposedly made with the Zhentarim, namely the removal of the Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings from it's hidden vault deep in the Catacombs of the Sembian city of Ordulin. It is believed that part of these dealings also had something to do with Khelben's perceived danger of The Three Threats Who Wait in Darkness.

More details on the Moonstars, and their creation can be found in the 2e FR tome Cloak and Dagger.

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  02:23:10  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I like them moonstars already... it does seem that Khelben is coming into his own... I mean the harpers were the pet project of Elminster, weren't they?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  02:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, they were the pet project of elminster, and in my opinion Khelben is becoming an arrogant fool

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  10:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually it is funny that this old scroll be again brought to the fore...I was just reading on the EN World forums yesterday about some possible rumors that the Harpers/Moonstars may be getting their own section of a new sourcebook in 3e FR...Part of a tome that is meant to detail the Good- and Neutral-aligned power-groups of the Realms.

Sounds interesting. I'd like to know more than just what's in the Code of the Harpers.
Any of these rumors substantiated by WotC yet, Sage?

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2004 :  12:05:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not as yet Yasraena. Although, the people at EN World have very rarely been wrong when it comes to topics like this, so who knows...

Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  17:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All harpers shuld be burned that all you ned to know....
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  20:24:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The current WotC sourcebooks (which are partly targeted at non-Realms players) will never have such in-depth information as FOR4. Though as always in the Realms, bits and pieces of lore are scattered all over the place, such as in all of Ed's novels.

(My recollection of ENWorld rumours is they've rarely been right.)
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2004 :  20:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Cyric, for once (and probably only this once) we are in complete agreement.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2004 :  05:23:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

(My recollection of ENWorld rumours is they've rarely been right.)

Really...?. That's a little strange. Nearly all of the new material released for FR (and other CS), I had first learned about, as rumors on the EN World forums...

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jan 2004 05:25:26
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2004 :  15:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find most of the accurate stuff Realmswise on ENWorld is information (not rumours) reposted from REALMS-L.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  03:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, normally it is quite accurate

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2004 :  13:22:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I find most of the accurate stuff Realmswise on ENWorld is information (not rumours) reposted from REALMS-L.

Ah, that explains it then. The REALMS-L will of course, always be THE source.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000