Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kezef/ Dieties argument
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  01:18:44  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've heard some stuff about this... Thing. He hates Mask and he cut of Tyr's hand.. Whats this guys deal? Is he like some uber buff entity that travels the planes messing with whoever he wants?

Edited by - Arteris on 05 Jan 2004 04:42:59

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  01:38:30  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did you hear of him from....sounds interesting.

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  03:28:12  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hes mentioned for the act of cutting of Tyr's hand in both FR settings book and the Mask and Tyr deeds are both mentioned in the FR Dieties book. Mask currently has the sword Houndsbane which Kezef apparently wont challenge but it says that if Mask were to ever lose the weapon Kezef would immidiatly resume his pursuit of Mask
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  08:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that actual events involving Kezef are giving in the excellent Prince of Lies novel.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  08:23:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As well as that particular source of information that Rad just mentioned, here's some interesting information from the FR website, written by Thomas M. Costa -
quote:
Kezef the Chaos Hound: Kezef is a unique being who roams the Outer Planes constantly hunting the Faithful, which are the souls of those who have chosen to venerate one god above all others. He has no taste for the Faithless or the False and is sickened by the taste of the unripened spirits of the still-living. When Kezef destroys one of the Faithful, the maggots that make up his pelt swarm away from his jet-boned skeleton to devour the corpse. The gorged creatures then mill slowly over Kezef’s body, making him appear bloated. Any of the Faithful who are eaten in this fashion are forever and truly destroyed, beyond even the recall of the gods.

The Ravager of the Heavens relishes the scent of hatred, and he sometimes pauses and becomes substantial so that he can savor a particularly juicy emotional scent. In his wake, he leaves screaming nightmares particularly cherished by Dendar the Night Serpent. He is nauseated by the scent of cloying, reckless happiness.

Kezef appears as a huge mastiff with unearthly malevolent, red eyes and a ratty tail. Maggots teem in his fur, which makes the coat shift incessantly over barely covered sinews and bones. His flesh oozes like pus from an old sore, and his paws leave burning prints in the ground that spread into pools of burning ichor in his wake. Pointed teeth glitter like daggers of jet in the light. His blood is a dark, corrosive, liquid ooze, and he radiates a pestilent aura of decay. The fetid air of his breath extinguishes all nearby fires, and he reeks with the sweet stench of ancient death. Those with a sense of smell can catch this scent from many miles away. The Chaos Hound speaks in a low and rumbling growl.

Kezef was imprisoned for centuries amid the Barrens of Doom and Despair by an alliance of Faerûnian gods when the Circle of Greater Powers forbade traffic by deity or mortal with the beast. After he was hunted down, the powers bet Kezef he could not break a leash forged by Gond the Wonderbringer. Kezef allowed Gond to place a short length of sturdy chain around his neck in exchange for Tyr placing his right hand in the Chaos Hound’s slavering jaws. Gond anchored the chain miles deep in the floor of the Barrens’ caves, and Mystra wrapped the beast in an unbreakable, glowing curtain of magical energy that automatically repaired itself. From these two traps Kezef could not escape, and no one could reach him. When Kezef discovered he was truly fettered, he bit off Tyr’s hand and feasted on its divine essence for centuries as he strove to free himself. Kezef was eventually freed, by Cyric’s machinations, to once again hunt the souls of mortals and gods alike.

I hope that helps...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  13:37:07  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note of the 'dislike' between Mask and Kezef:

Appearently, during the 'Prince of Lies' novel, Mask had something to do with Kezef ( I can't really remember what, a few of the more learned scribles..errr Scribes might be able to expand more on it). Since Prince of Lies Kezef has 'hounded' Mask endlessly, until Mask, stole the Houndsbane (that was bait for Masktrap) in 'Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad'. Personally, 'Crucible' did nothing for my outlook on faerunian gods... well maybe sunk them to a new low... Ao needs a resume!!! As Toede said to Judith (a Hellknight in service to Takhisis): " If the Abbot and Castellan are typical of your middle managemeny, you need talented Servants badly. Just don't rush my recruitment."
Ao Need Middle Management (ie, competent Gods )

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  14:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, and here I thought that it was Fenris, third child of Loki, who had bitten Tyr's hand off. And that it was only on the second try that the gods got him tied up . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  18:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where in the nine hells do u get all ur info Sage, u always have the answers! i envy u...

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  19:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Cyric.. Always messing things up for everyone else.. Someone oughta smack that mofo. As for Kezef.. Yeeeeesh he's one evil dog. Ao should layeth the smacketh down on him for eating the dieties faithful, cause that could put a cramp in their styles.

Edited by - Arteris on 24 Dec 2003 19:37:29
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2003 :  22:42:43  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage knows all. that sounds awesome. one bad dog ....i had a chiwawa like that once...

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2003 :  13:50:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dracandos the Spellsage said -
quote:
where in the nine hells do u get all ur info Sage...
It's just a matter of keeping well informed on all things 'Realmian'.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2003 :  15:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh huh... sure sage :P or it's a matter of keeping an eye on the site for "The Wizards whom dwell apon the coast" as they put up a page about Kezef and other supernatural critters like him... the page is here...
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/elderevil

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2003 :  16:00:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...that is an example of keeping well informed, isn't it?...

Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2003 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah im thinkin bout putting him in my campaign. bit off tyrs hand , feasts on the souls of the faithful....id say thats a good cr 3

Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2003 :  01:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, thats the best saying I've heard all day. Thanks Zacas for the website link too. Some good stuff
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  02:01:23  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all the gods had it coming... and it sadens me the way Mask is huntet i realley like the fella. And Cardinal Deimos how could you not like Cyric after reading the trail of Cyric the mad thats what made me really like Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  02:08:59  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I know the reason for Kezef hunting Mask is that Mask imprisoned Kezef one time after he was loose by sacrificing Lord Chess on top of Blackstaff Tower. Either it happened in the avatar trilogy or in the Prince of Lies.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  02:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all the gods had it coming... and it sadens me the way Mask is huntet i realley like the fella. And Cardinal Deimos how could you not like Cyric after reading the trail of Cyric the mad thats what made me really like Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  02:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, Cyric is nothing more than a meglomaniacle diety who is too full of himself. Common human behavior. Ti's all about Sune :oP no but I was reading that link and Dendar is jawesome! A snake that eats nightmares?! How cool is that.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2003 :  09:24:50  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only a Cyricist but A Sune follower as well?!?! HAS THE KEEP GONE MAD?! I'd rather take on the path of Cyric than Sune.

As for an explaination Cyric on why I dislike Cyric, I actually like him as a mortal. Up until the point where he achieved godhood. Then he lost me somewhere. I just don't agree with Deities messing up mortal's lives. Celestials and Fiends are ok. They're part of the Natural world (more or less) but the gods don't seem to see their part in the game. They figure just because they have control of raw power they can do as they wish. The outsiders seem to know their place, Although the Tanar'ri and Baatezu seem to be losing perspective, tis not Law or Chaos but Good and Evil that matter. The Gods are partly to blame for the Blood War I figure. Down with the Gods!

Anyways, Main gripe with Cyric right now is him sending that poor fool on some damned fool quest when he should have been in Calimshan flaying the skin from the Caliph's son. The man was mad, yet he was sent on a quest...and for what?!? Served Cyric for what? Nothing. Nothing I say. Not even a "Thank you". Bah, the deities are worse meddlers than the Harpers. All should be thrown down and the rightful players of the game put up. Celestials and Fiends. The Final War....
Besides... Eternal servitude after death doesn't sound like that great of a deal to me... Infact it sounds pretty crummy. Give me the Blood War or The Eternal War anyday... Better to serve, die, and be obliterated in a worthy cause, than to always be kneeling in subservience to something unworthy.

"It is a good day to die" - "I am so grateful for each day of life, that any day is a good day to die."

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  18:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

Not only a Cyricist but A Sune follower as well?!?! HAS THE KEEP GONE MAD?! I'd rather take on the path of Cyric than Sune.

As for an explaination Cyric on why I dislike Cyric, I actually like him as a mortal. Up until the point where he achieved godhood. Then he lost me somewhere. I just don't agree with Deities messing up mortal's lives. Celestials and Fiends are ok. They're part of the Natural world (more or less) but the gods don't seem to see their part in the game. They figure just because they have control of raw power they can do as they wish. The outsiders seem to know their place, Although the Tanar'ri and Baatezu seem to be losing perspective, tis not Law or Chaos but Good and Evil that matter. The Gods are partly to blame for the Blood War I figure. Down with the Gods!

Anyways, Main gripe with Cyric right now is him sending that poor fool on some damned fool quest when he should have been in Calimshan flaying the skin from the Caliph's son. The man was mad, yet he was sent on a quest...and for what?!? Served Cyric for what? Nothing. Nothing I say. Not even a "Thank you". Bah, the deities are worse meddlers than the Harpers. All should be thrown down and the rightful players of the game put up. Celestials and Fiends. The Final War....
Besides... Eternal servitude after death doesn't sound like that great of a deal to me... Infact it sounds pretty crummy. Give me the Blood War or The Eternal War anyday... Better to serve, die, and be obliterated in a worthy cause, than to always be kneeling in subservience to something unworthy.

"It is a good day to die" - "I am so grateful for each day of life, that any day is a good day to die."

Ah yes, but what if your diety is a kind/loving/etc.. diety who would make the afterlife a good servitude.. Even though it be all the rest of eternity dosnt mean it cant be enjoyable, as for the mean dieties well to hell with them. But not all dieties should suffer terrible wrath for the shortcommings of a few
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2004 :  07:49:37  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The the kind and loving deity is only fooling the masses with it's nature. There is but one deity that I yet to find fault in (although her own dogma and clergy is riddled with faults that I foolishly find forgivable..). More often than not she is seen as a vile and wicked deity... Personally, she just misunderstood... and correct about everything but I ramble...

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  02:24:29  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And which diety would this be?
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  03:20:24  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why her most Greatest of greats. The Only Deity that is worthy(until I can find fault anyways) of faithful service unto death. The Queen of the Demonweb pits and Spiders, The Supreme Matron Mother of All Drow, her eternal majesty, Lolth!

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Arteris
Learned Scribe

121 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  20:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Arteris's Homepage Send Arteris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, shes a diety so riddled with problems, how could you possibly not find fault with her? If theres problems with her clergy and dogma then thats a reflection of her own self so there is plenty of fault in her.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  00:26:48  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm afraid your mistaken, my dear Arteris. You see, the society of elves is all backwards. Had the not followed the the false one, Corellon Larehtian, all their troubles would not be as they are. Infact Lolth's own ideas make much sense when thought out logically. Weed out the weak, those that can plot and decieve enought to wrest power away from someone deserve their place... since they will only keep it by such means. You it all boils down to the fact that many are liars and don't know it. Infact, the entire elf pantheon is merely a group of fools living a lie they they don't know exists. Goodness? BAH! Mercy? HA! Compassion? NAH! These are the things of myth, my friend. Lolth's clergy is the only ones that realize the hollow faith that their surface kin are aflicted with. It is weakness that bred these things into the surface elves, they must be saved from themselves. Yay, verily it is through submission to the will of Lolth that the Surface elves can yet be....aided...
The Faults are not of Lolth's doing but the slanderous lies and gossip that is flung from the other gods. As I have said I have yet to find fault in Lolth, since only in her meddling of mortal affairs, do I not see harm done. In Avatar form or extension of Will, Lolth may have caused many deaths, but these deaths I see a a worthy sacrifice for the progress that has been made... The way I see it the frivolous Deities (Such as Sune, Sharess, Liiria, Lathander, etc) cause more harm than anything eles.
All Glory to the Dark Mother!

-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 03 Jan 2004 00:39:08
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  05:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diemos, ( Tell me if I spelled that right) I have only one thing to say. "All Glory to the Dark Mother!" And I would rather lop off my own head than follow any frivilous diety.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  07:24:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*yawn*

C'mon, knowledge is power, power is control. Give me Oghma, Azuth, Denir . . . heck, even Mystra. But not Lolth.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  11:17:16  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well truth be known it's Deimos but either way works fine (up until someone named Diemos shows up then you'll have to learn my name).

Anyways... Bookwyrm,...I grant you Oghma as he is more neutral than good, so I have no qualms with him... He makes no lies about where he sits... Denir... *Takes out several Tomes at once, and sifts through them*...Hmmm...Denir is judged flawed! And I'll thank ye not to speak of The Usurper of Magic again... We all know that Karsus is by Right the True God of Magic... we merely need to.... reassemble him. Besides.. Many would view the Knowledge is power, Power is Control as rather Evil as most seem to see such control as evil... See my dear Bookwyrm, even you saturated in the lieand are unawares! Bow to the Will of Lolth and she may feast upon you heart if you are deemed worthy.

Getting back to Shaowlord, you see, that is precisely the type of following we need....Which give me an Idea for a PrC. A Class made up of devout males (Like an order of clergy.. perhaps A monk order) that will fight solely for the purpose of Lolth's will, each would carry a ceremonial Dagger, so that when, if and should Lolth Decree it, He would give his life to her Glory! I'll have to do some working but if the shoe don't fit, force it!
Victory to the Spider Queen!

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  18:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well we all know Lolth was originally good, but was corrupted by Gruumsh. and the Ilythiiri were not always evil, it was Gruumsh's evil that twisted Lolth's mind and there4 she then corrupted her children. causing the drow to attack the elves, n that led 2 The Desending, in which the Ilythiiri settled 1st in Ust Natha (meaning the first in drow tounge) but we all knew that right?

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  19:08:10  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, but truth be know I question on why Gruumish only corrupted her rather than slay her out right.... Gruumish is an orc deity.... Orcs are not the most intelligent speices of Faerun and their gods are like wise as....dull... Actually much more could be accomplished for the orc if Gruumish would just relinquish his control of the Orc Pantheon and give it to some other deity... I have read that the other orc gods are not as gungho to wage war on the elves but wage more war on goblins and their deities than elves....

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000