Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ched Nasad
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  13:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well i'm gonna include this city in my campaign but don't now nothing about it, is there any source where I can find info about this city other then the novels. I would love it if someone could point me to a source or tell me something about it. It won't be used much in the campaign so i only need basic info about how it looks and the attitudes of the people and such.

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  16:59:58  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thorin Stoutdrinker

Well i'm gonna include this city in my campaign but don't now nothing about it, is there any source where I can find info about this city other then the novels. I would love it if someone could point me to a source or tell me something about it. It won't be used much in the campaign so i only need basic info about how it looks and the attitudes of the people and such.

Just the fact that it's a Drow city ought to tell you a lot about the attitudes of its people.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  17:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ched Nasad is detailed in Drizzt Do'Urdens Guide to the Underdark. I dont think there are any other sources detailing this city.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  18:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess for once I can skip going too much after the rules of the official campaign. I tend to do that alot, but the Nemisis of my campaign is going to be the High Priestess of Lolth in Ched Nasad and I don't care what the official Forgotten Realms info says about her. That's it i'll let it stick.

Funny thing thou is that the official info often goes very well with my ideas, like I was thinking about letting the PC's get into the city through a secret portol and later on I read about a secret portal leading into Ched Nasad, controlled by enemy drow of the city so it led to a story hook I hadn't thought off.
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  23:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for info about a city, region, country, etc. i recommend the Forgottem Realms Handbook. As far as information about the lands of Faerun, its the best source ive found yet. Gives population, race percentage, exports and imports, dieties, alignments, and more for just about every major city in Faerun. Some smaller cities are left out though. Cant list every one of them after all. Hope this helps.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2003 :  23:26:53  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aust Grimshadow:

quote:
If you are looking for info about a city, region, country, etc. i recommend the Forgottem Realms Handbook. As far as information about the lands of Faerun, its the best source ive found yet. Gives population, race percentage, exports and imports, dieties, alignments, and more for just about every major city in Faerun. Some smaller cities are left out though. Cant list every one of them after all. Hope this helps.

By "the Forgotten Realms Handbook" do you mean the campaign setting (AKA the FRCS)? It does indeed have all that stuff, but I don't think it has much about Ched Nasad. It may not even mention Ched Nasad.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  04:49:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also the new novel INSURRECTION features that City. Menzoberranzan set from the 90's also has information on Ched Nassad. But of course it is no hurt just to make up your OWN material. MY favourite drow city is Rilauven. I loosely base it on Menzoberranzan.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2003 :  15:21:54  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes thats whats I mean. I feared it might not mention it. After all, if it mentions EVERY city the book would be almost endless. Where is this place anyways?

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2003 :  16:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
twas my homeland....i vaguely remember it....only that it was very beatiful.......

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2003 :  10:05:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the best information (currently) on Ched Nasad is in "Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark" (if you read closely, you'll ven see where Eric has made me dragon). The new "Underdark" accessory coming out early next year will no doubt update info on this city. Also, I heard a rumour that the "Insurrection" book series sees the destruction of Ched Nasad - but this isn't confirmed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  13:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer your question Aust Grimshadow, this place is an underdark drow city under the Silver Marches, south west of Hellgate keep if I remember correctly. It's under some swamp or bog there, can't remember the name at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  22:59:53  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THIS IS A SPOILER THIS IS A SPOILER THIS IS A SPOILER THIS IS A SPOILER!!!!

Ched Nasad is currently RUBBLE. The city was destroyed by a bunch of Duergar, Slave classes, an entourage form Menzoberranzan, and the stooooooopid matron mothers that rule Ched Nassad.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  23:41:18  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mournblade94:
quote:
Ched Nasad is currently RUBBLE. The city was destroyed by a bunch of Duergar, Slave classes, an entourage form Menzoberranzan, and the stooooooopid matron mothers that rule Ched Nassad.

Perhaps we should call it Ched Barney.

I don't care about the spoiler. What FR "thing" was the event detailed in?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  01:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

mournblade94:
quote:
Ched Nasad is currently RUBBLE.

WINCE. Ooo, that one reeked.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  08:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't care about the spoiler. What FR "thing" was the event detailed in?

These events occured in the book 2 of the War of the Spider Queen series - Insurrection by Thomas M. Reid. An excellent book and DEFINATELY one of the best FR novel series ever!!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  10:07:03  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can anyone explains me that?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2003 :  12:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

quote:

Can anyone explains me that?

Its as in the Flintstones cartoon, zemd. Ched Nasad being Rubble, as in Barney Rubble, Fred Flintstones friend.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  03:07:30  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAD I AGREE! I am VERY impressed with the Series. Pharaun and Ryld are great characters, and they are SKILLED writers! The series is excellent.

Go to Top of Page

Thorin Stoutdrinker
Acolyte

Iceland
16 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  17:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Thorin Stoutdrinker's Homepage Send Thorin Stoutdrinker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

When does that happen, is there any given time in the book about this?
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2003 :  18:18:02  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1372 Dalereckoning. This is all occuring at the same time as City of the SPider Queen.

Go to Top of Page

Eternal_Dreadlord
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  01:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Eternal_Dreadlord's Homepage Send Eternal_Dreadlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can a city of 30,000 Drow be burnt to the ground???

I'm sure atleast 1/10th of the Drow were elite fighters/wizards/clerics/etc..

"Hence it comes about that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed."
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  02:57:16  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eternal_Dreadlord:
quote:
How can a city of 30,000 Drow be burnt to the ground???
I'm sure atleast 1/10th of the Drow were elite fighters/wizards/clerics/etc..

I've never read any of them (the Underdark gives a me a pain), but I'm sure it's all laid out in the "Spider Queen" novels.

I have played in a bit of the module (a friend is GM'ing it in Middle Earth 'cause he likes Drow), so I have an inkling what the deal is. No spoilers from me, however.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:24:00  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason it can be is because the Priestesses of Lloth lost their power, A renegade house hired Duergar Mercenaries to come in and do damage, and there was a mass slave revolt of everything from Kobolds to fire giants.

Go to Top of Page

TsilfaEor
Acolyte

France
9 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  22:20:51  Show Profile  Visit TsilfaEor's Homepage Send TsilfaEor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommend reading the FR Accessory City of The Spider Queen like mournblade94 said.

It might not reaaly speek of ched nazad, but you really get the point on the atmosphere of the place, the encounters, the evils there. it is really good.

Tsilfa

"He who controls the past commands the future.
He who commands the future conquers the past."
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  22:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those fantastic WOTSQ books, such fantastic pieces of literature. How unfortunately, they're gonna burn the entire Underdark (at least the Drow part) to ashes.

Granted, the destruction fo Ched Nasad was not my favorite event in the history of FR, but it perfectly illustrated how weak the Drow Elves really are. They are, ironically, their own worst enemy. I guess that's what happens to a race based totally on chaos. If Lolth isn't careful she will not have any worshipers left in the end.

Well, I guess inter house tentsions, slave revolts, duergar mercenaries, fire that burns stone, and an uncontrollable guardian spider(s) could take down any city built almost entirely on giant stone webs, not just a Drow one.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  06:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

[blue]I guess that's what happens to a race based totally on chaos. If Lolth isn't careful she will not have any worshipers left in the end.

The other way you can think about it, though, is a purifying of the drow race. After all, only the strongest will survive, those Lloth thinks are most fit for existance and her favor.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Eternal_Dreadlord
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  06:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Eternal_Dreadlord's Homepage Send Eternal_Dreadlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't imagine so many Drow losing to anything, they are ferocious when cornered..

Was Bregan D'Aerthe involved??

I am going to get those books today BTW.

"Hence it comes about that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed."
Go to Top of Page

Eternal_Dreadlord
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  06:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Eternal_Dreadlord's Homepage Send Eternal_Dreadlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

[blue]I guess that's what happens to a race based totally on chaos. If Lolth isn't careful she will not have any worshipers left in the end.

The other way you can think about it, though, is a purifying of the drow race. After all, only the strongest will survive, those Lloth thinks are most fit for existance and her favor.

It's sad that the Drow society is being destroyed because their God has a Gruumsh-complex....

Bah!

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  17:36:18  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

quote:

Actually Bookwyrm that is what the writers are hinting at. Actually in the beginning of the book they talk about how Lloth knows it is going to cause her people problems, but she has to undergo the metamorphosis anyway. I am wondering if this is going toincrease her godly power.

The Dark Elves are a great concept, I love them, but being in gaming for so many years, has introduced to me to MANY dark elf ranger renegade wannabees. In every gamestore there is a munchkin talking about his GREAT Drow renegade.

"Oh but he's not evil like most drow! (Clever smile forms on the munchkin's face) He is actually good and had to leavehis society."

They say this as if it has never been done before. Why doesn't someone play an EVIL darkelf from the underdark. Now that would be a new idea. Drizzt Do'urden is my favourite character in the FR, but on the flip side it makes me dislike Drizzt clones even more.

But actually the Dark elves are an impotent race. Because they are so Chaotic they have not been able to pose a significant threat to the realms. They are nothing more than raiders, and as the destruction of Ched Nassad showed, in capable of defending against mass invasion. As individuals they are powerful, but as a collective race, they are no threat.

However it must be stated that I would not like to be the character in the Forgotten Realms that quotes a famous Japanese general.

"I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant..."

This is what the dark elves would be if they could unite.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  18:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm:

One small problem with that line of reasoning, Bookwyrm, you're thinking like a mortal. The only reason Lolth is a Greater Diety is because almost every Drow in the Underdark, and many on the surface, worship her. There are very few of other races that worship her. Now, thanks to Lord Ao, the number of worshipers effects a diety's divine power, ala the post Avatar Effects. So, for a diety who is really only concerned with her own personal power (she created the Drow in her image after all), it would make no sense to destroy her own basin of support. The only thing that would make this make sense is if she was doing something outside of the Prime to increase her power, but I can't see what she could do. Essentially, the rule of thumb for the dieties regarding their worshipers is quantity, not quality.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 27 Apr 2003 18:28:37
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  22:15:04  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lloth is a 1st ed lesser deity and 3e intermediate deity Divine Rank 15. In the beginning of the novels they have a prologues which HINT that lloth is abandoning her worshippers to undergo a metamorphosis into an even greater power. What Edain said above is true, that gods will no longer let their worshippers have at each other, but I think it is ALSO exactly what Edain suggests above, she is seeking power in another way, and so her people must suffer for now.

My worry is the Drow are going to come back EVEN more powerful than before.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000