Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gencon - 2003
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  23:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail there fellow scribes!

Just a quick question to ye all. Are there many among you who will be attending one of the Gencons this year? If so which one will you be going to?

If anyone is riding to London this year (Gencon Europe) then you should be able to spy myself and The Scribe of Candlekeep at some point. We should be easy to spot as we should have T-Shirts labelling us both.

Hope to see some of you there. And get some Ale in.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  01:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha another UK Scribe!!

Could you tell me where/when Gencon Europe is?...expect they have a website if anyone could direct me to it??

Thanks,

Alex

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  03:52:44  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The website is at:-

http://www.genconuk.com/

Gencon is at the Olympia 2 in London again this year, on April 18-21.

Next year Gencon Europe will be in Amsterdam.

There are lots of things to do when you get there. I advise booking a hotel if you are not local. Again you will find cheap accomodation on the Gencon website mentioned above, you get some cool discount if you are going to Gencon.

Gencon is also a place where loads of retailers get together in one place for a massive trade hall. One of the things I look forward to the most. A place where you can find most of the older Realms items if you want to seek them out. Also if you want a bargain don't buy the first item you see, as you might see it slightly cheaper on one of the other stalls. Try to barter with them, sometimes it pays off!

You will get to attend Seminars from leading gaming celebrities and this year they have an art show. You can always sign up to play in some games or join in a tournament.

Plenty to keep you busy anyway.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  12:06:50  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is really nice, Von Zarovich. Thank you so much for this information. I never had the knowledge of the existence of this event. But it seems to me I have to attend to Gencons. It really looks great! I wish i'd have the money to travel to London!
How do you know it'll be in Amsterdam next year?
I can 't find it anywhere on the site.

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  15:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if you go to the main US Gencon site it will tell you where all of the Gencons will be,

www.gencon.com

Also I knew I as they told us in a seminar last year what they intended to do with the events over the next few years. They are going to try and be bigger and better each year in europe to meet the size and quality of the US ones.

Hope to see some people there.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  20:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks fantastic!!I will definately be coming along as I live only 1 hour away by train to London...it's also just around the corner from a friend of mine who goes to Uni up there...

I'm not too sure what date(s) I will be going on, will keep you updated.

Many thanks,

Alex

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  22:55:22  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went to the GenCon 2003 in Milwaukee (long trip from France) I hope i'll be able to go to the Amsterdam one
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  23:05:21  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be good to hear of some of the experiences other folk have had at Gencons.

They have certainly got better over the years, my first one was Gencon UK, can't remember the year, but it was held at a place called Camber Sands on the south coast of England. The place was like a prison camp and the trade hall was shared with the gaming hall, and Magic cards had just come out. All in all I have fond memories of that one.

You won't forget that one will you Rad?

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  01:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you happen to know if its ever going to be in the U.S.A.?

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  08:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salius_Kai
Would you happen to know if its ever going to be in the U.S.A.?

Its always in the USA, its the main GENCON that started it all. I havent ever been myself as I live in the UK but from what ive heard and the photos ive seen, it looks fantastic!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  11:59:50  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would really be nice if it would be in Amsterdam next year, and I also like the idea of meeting some people visiting this site there. I know it's a long time until next year, but I just wanted to say I would like that. And I would also like it if I would find a pouch filled with gold pieces, to go to UK this year, but that won't be very likely to happen

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.

Edited by - MidNight on 05 Mar 2003 12:00:23
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  08:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich
If anyone is riding to London this year (Gencon Europe) then you should be able to spy myself and The Scribe of Candlekeep at some point. We should be easy to spot as we should have T-Shirts labelling us both.

Indeed. I will be attending GENCON UK in April (Saturday only). Although the T-shirt will clearly identify me....my appearance in relation to my avatar picture will not

Any other members on the forum attending GENCON UK this year? I hope that the UK version will continue to improve under the new management.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  11:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Although the T-shirt will clearly identify me....my appearance in relation to my avatar picture will not

Oh, bother. If he's not wearing a ring of invisibility, he's casting polymorph.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  12:19:32  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, just a t-shirt of disguise
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  18:11:01  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to go to the UK Gencon, but it'll be too expensive (travel, hotel,...)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  12:57:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Well, 'tis almost upon us. GENCON UK begins in a matter of days!

For anyone who is attending then I hope you enjoy it and have a good time. There should be much Realmslore to pick up and adventures to be had! Give a wave and a "Well Met" if you happen to see me on the Saturday wandering the corridors

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  13:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, i really wish i had the cash to go all the way to europe. Its looks great. If anyone has any info about it being in the US anytime, please let me know.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Voronica Whitney-Robinson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  17:41:51  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aust-

As mentioned above, the US is where it all started. For years it has been held in WI, but this year they've moved it to Indianapolis, IN July 24th-27th. Check out their site, www.gencon.com , for more info.

Hope to see some of you there this summer!

V.

A friend will help you move.
A real friend will help you move a body...

Visit http://www.voronica.com to see what else I've been up to.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  18:10:10  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you take pictures and show them on the site Alaundo?
Go to Top of Page

Avaly
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  18:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Avaly's Homepage Send Avaly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
/sighs counts her coppers
/notices she only has 2 coppers to rub together

Well, I would love to visit London again and among other cities in Europe, but I am afraid the money situation got a bit tighter with my roomate losing her job and I don't believe my 1 year old would like to ride on a airplane for several hours (or the other passengers when he wanders up and down the aisle causing mayhem). I can only hope that within another year I will be able to scrap up enough money to attend the one in the US as well convince Oma to watch the grandson for a weekend (that won't be too hard since my mother spoils him rotten). Maybe I will get to meet you all next year in the US.

Avaly Nightstar
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Could you take pictures and show them on the site Alaundo?

Indeed I can, zemd My intention is to report back with any news on the Realms which I may learn whilst there, although the seminars are few and not Realms-based unlike previous years However, I will bring back a number of shots of the place itself and display them up in Candlekeep. 'Tis a shame I cant make it to the big event in this little place they call the "U.S"

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 16 Apr 2003 19:14:41
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  19:17:42  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maye you could be interested by the pictures i took last summer during GenCon 2002?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  19:21:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Maye you could be interested by the pictures i took last summer during GenCon 2002?

Why that would be excellent dear zemd. I have a few of my own from last years GENCON and intend to set up a location within Candlekeep for such occasions. Please step into my chamber to discuss what treasures you have.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  20:52:25  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well sounds like a damn fine idea. I am sure that we will get many more photo's this year. And not some blurry efforts like last year

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  21:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met all!

::removes backpack from his shoulders, placing it down and looking tired and weary::

I return from my travels, having a small number of personal valuable scrolls which I obtained but unfortunately not really any news of the Realms.

A brief meeting with Peter Adkison and many longer meetings with a most amazing artist known for Realms artwork, Todd Lockwood. Todd is currently painting the new covers for Homeland, Exile and Soujourn rereleased later this year.

Anyway, that said, ill likely get a few pictures up of the events later this week.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  01:23:12  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!

Last time I was at OLYMPIA II Was for the CAMRA beer Convention! An entire arena full of GOOD beer. I barely made it around the arena. Its like trying to do a Circle line pub crawl.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2003 :  16:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thats the end of GENCON then!!!
If you ask me, then the poor attendance figures were due to the fact that they ignored everyones pleas last year NOT to hold GENCON over the easter public holiday and to keep the UK as a central location for Euro GENCON........ of course, the corporation know best! Obviously not! and we, the fans are to suffer for it!

A letter from Peter Adkison.....

Greetings, my gaming friends in The Netherlands,

I wanted to give you an update regarding Gen Con Europe.

We are having serious reservations about the strategy we've developed over the last few months regarding Gen Con Europe.

Essentially, we're concerned that due to language and cultural barriers, a large pan-European Gen Con event might be very difficult to realize. We also feel that the complexity of this task is compounded by the fact that we're an American company based in the United States. Furthermore, our team has several new employees, or employees in new positions, and we need to adopt a less ambitious strategy until we gain more experience and refine our systems.

Therefore, we have decided not to run a Gen Con Europe convention in 2004 or 2005.

But we do not want to see the Gen Con brand die in Europe. Therefore we are making the Gen Con brand available for licensing, most likely on a national level. Or, if someone thinks they could implement our original strategy and could develop a credible plan for doing so, we'd consider an exclusive license for all of Europe.

I appreciate the interest all of you have shown for Gen Con and your willingness to comment. While this email doesn't have great news, I thought you'd appreciate the update.

Keep on gaming!

Peter Adkison
Owner/CEO, Gen Con LLC
"The best four days in gaming!"
www.gencon.com

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2003 :  01:00:32  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Again this is depressing.

Have you seen the new WIZARDS OF THE COAST STORES (well not NEW but their NEW merchandise)? In case you are unfamiliar with these stores they used to be a haven for gamers. Typically in malls they had WALLS of minis, computer games, and game supplies.

NOW? Walk into a store. It is still just as big. But what is in it? The first things you see are Trivial Pursuit and other popular games like that. Then there are STACKS of the board games. The RPG's, and wargames are given a VERY SMALL WALL SPACE. NOW other than Miniatures, Borders books has more RPG material. The minis they sell have all been reduced to selling a paucid supply of Citadel Warhammer and Mageknight minis. This store ONCE had life size figures of Some of the generic characters from the Players Handbook. They are all gone now. I asked the person why, and they said it was not generating the Family market.

I then asked the person if they sold Reaper minis. The person looked at me like an alien, and said the only miniatures she knows of are warhammer. There was ONCE a cabinet in this WOTC store that displayed all the customer's painted minis. NOW the cabinet displays Mageknight, and HEROCLIX.

Where once there was an entire store of Fantasy games, there is naught but a meager wall, with tiny shelves. THe marketers have conquered, and the former might of the WOTC nation has been reduced to a mere Hamlet.

I am very sad...

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000