Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 What classes are now officially present in the FR?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  18:27:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

And all this talk put my mind to work and give not only an idea for one of the new classes, but a good adventure as a bonus!

The class in question is the Warmage. I“m thinking in a good place to drop then (beyond Cormyr and old Raumathar ), and suddenly, my mind shout: dwarves! Dwarves with armor hurling orbs of insert damaging element here! Wow! That is interesting.

IIRC, it“s in the Lost Empires of Faerūn that appears and old dwarven school of wizardry, in one of their (err... our) old realms of the North. And I think: why not make this a warmage school and academy? And the knowledge about the school have died with the old kingdoms...

Now, in present day, a zealous gold dwarf priest of Moradin receives a vision sended by Moradin, a glorious quest, about the lost knowledge that await in the North, a mission to discover and rescue the old tomes of the warmages! This could be crucial to help the golden to win the war against the gray dwarves. So, the dwarves send a group of merchants (they are in war, and cannot spare any soldier or mercenary) to contract a band of mercenaries (my group) to go to the old ruins, and recover the books.

Now, let“s see if I can do this work!

Xothal was closed when Ammarindar no longer felt that Netheril was a threat, but if you notice, one of the dwarven nations that had families leave to go to Myth Drannor was Ammarindar. Its entirely possible that some of those skilled in the Art taught at Ammarindar left to continue the study of the art (and to spread their unique interpretation of it), to the City of Song.

When Myth Drannor fell on hard times, several families of dwarves left again during the more tumultuous times when the Rule Tower was destroyed, which means you could still have dwarven families who practiced the Art of the Warmage living anywhere they could have migrated from Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2006 :  18:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, kalin and KnightErrant!!!

Now, I have something interesting to make a good plot.
But talking about the topic, I think that dwarven warmages make more sense than dwarven mages.
The oriental classes can make his way to Faerūn (follow the Golden Way to Telflaam, take a ship, and...)
The shaman can make good uthgardt or rashemi characters.
The swashbucker fit well in the great centers, and the knight practically have a label with the text "insert me in Impiltur"
The others, with some tought, can be worked in Faerūn, too
Talking about this, I think that the crusader can make a good triadic character (the disciplines of the Devoted Spirit, Stone Dragon and White Raven could be renamed as blessings of Torm, Ilmater and Tyr).
The only one that is giving me trouble is the Duskblade, because of all the lore about the bladesingers (a PrC that I like too much).

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  02:37:56  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:
Originally posted by Kaewin

Hi I'm new so bare with me. I wasn't really keen on the new classes from the complete series and would really hate to see them used. On the other hand I would like to see the psionic classes get some use.

That's the unfortunate problem we have when so many people want so many different things. While I do like as many options as possible, I'd imagine that many people don't want any more psionics in the Realms. Most of the complete classes are just new forms of fighting or magic. They rarely break the Realms. Psionics, if done improperly, could, though I'd personally be fine if someone did it with care.

I for one could do without any psionics. But like you said, using new classes can generally be refitted by DMs if they don't want to use them. So I say use them. I'll just redo them.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  06:38:10  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

quote:

Hi I'm new so bare with me. I wasn't really keen on the new classes from the complete series and would really hate to see them used. On the other hand I would like to see the psionic classes get some use.

That's the unfortunate problem we have when so many people want so many different things. While I do like as many options as possible, I'd imagine that many people don't want any more psionics in the Realms. Most of the complete classes are just new forms of fighting or magic. They rarely break the Realms. Psionics, if done improperly, could, though I'd personally be fine if someone did it with care.

I for one could do without any psionics. But like you said, using new classes can generally be refitted by DMs if they don't want to use them. So I say use them. I'll just redo them.

I know a lot of people would rather not see it, but there is already significant precedent for it. Several of R.A. Salvatore novels deal with house Oblodra and its psionicists (and later Kimmuriel, a rogue member). The recent House of Serpents trilogy is extremely focused on psionics. I recall a short story from one of the 2 Dragon anthologies that had a wilder. There is also a lot of talk floating around about Auppenser. I actually think that it's a whole missing from FR supplements. I'm not suggesting that any more mechanics be added, or that people use every class presented in the XPH and CP, but it's simply undeniable that psionics plays a role, albeit relatively minor, in FR.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2006 :  20:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Psionics, in my opinion, could be used more in FR. I'd love to see a line of novels akin to The Priest, Rogues etc... only the Psionics....it can have Illithids, Gem Dragons, Psychic Warriors, Psions, all sorts of fun Psionically focused characters and creatures. It would bring more Psionics to thre realms cannon wise, which wouldn't hurt at all.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  01:48:26  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speeking of psionics, I may be the only person that felt that Cadderly was originaly a psion and not a cleric.
Yes, I know it was called the "cleric quintet", and yes I know how he has been offically stated.
But the powers he used closely remebled psionic powers of that time(spirit walk, animal affinity, molecular agitation, and that power that alloed you to sacrifice CON score for more power points), his weapons were along the lines of a psion and not a cleric, and he displayed high INT if not wis.
Agaien, I may be the only person that felt this.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  01:52:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

Speeking of psionics, I may be the only person that felt that Cadderly was originaly a psion and not a cleric.
Yes, I know it was called the "cleric quintet", and yes I know how he has been offically stated.
But the powers he used closely remebled psionic powers of that time(spirit walk, animal affinity, molecular agitation, and that power that alloed you to sacrifice CON score for more power points), his weapons were along the lines of a psion and not a cleric, and he displayed high INT if not wis.

I don't know if I would agree to that, but I could probably be convinced that he was a Favored Soul instead of a Cleric . . . given that he still had powers when he was questioning Deneir and not particularly observant, it seemed like Deneir had a vested interest in making sure he had his abilities.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  01:58:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually thought he was a psionicist, for quite some time as the series was being published.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  02:43:43  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Wooly had the same thought, I feel at least in this I'm in good company.

I don't even know what the favored soul is, besides a cleric like variant, and I was only basing my psion theory based on the rules that were current while I was reading the series, which happened to be 2ed when they were first published.

He didn't feel like a cleric to me until the later books.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  02:51:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if Wooly had the same thought, I feel at least in this I'm in good company.

I don't even know what the favored soul is, besides a cleric like variant, and I was only basing my psion theory based on the rules that were current while I was reading the series, which happened to be 2ed when they were first published.

He didn't feel like a cleric to me until the later books.

Yup. I was even flipping thru my Psionics Handbook, trying to reference the various powers he was using.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  02:59:16  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertYup. I was even flipping thru my Psionics Handbook, trying to reference the various powers he was using.

Me too.
And in almost every instance, I found one.
Heck, as the series started he couldn't even cast a 2nd level continual flame spell for his "flashlight".
Yea, some cleric he was.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  13:55:03  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never even thought of that...I guess he kinda was like one...Favored Soul probably more than cleric for sure though.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  14:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

I never even thought of that...I guess he kinda was like one...Favored Soul probably more than cleric for sure though.

no, I wouldn't go with favored soul..that class is for the "untrained" cleric..

Cadderly was supposed to be a monk of Denier,in the priestly way...this is supported by Danica living there and getting true monk training (1E monk as there was no monk class in 2E) in his church...and I have always felt the psionist and the monk class have the same flavour (sometimes to the point were lines cross) so it doesn't surprise me that Cadderly has a psion feel to him

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  15:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xothol was not just closed but somehow magically sent to another plane until the time comes when that land needed its protection. Since ammarindar fell quickly its unknown whether or not they called upon the magic of Xothol to aid them against the demons. For all we know there could still be dwarven mages there. I would assume they are Incantatrixes or even of a new class similar to Evereskan Tomb Guards in that they are specific to certain ruins.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  16:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

no, I wouldn't go with favored soul..that class is for the "untrained" cleric..

Hmmm I must be thinking about a prestige class of some sort then...not sure which.

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  04:24:34  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(1E monk as there was no monk class in 2E)

There were indeed monks in 2E. They were simply a variant Clerical class that specialized in unarmed combat. They were much more remiscient of the Indo-European archetype, and those are the type I'd typically use in Faerun over the current monk class.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2006 :  01:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One way to incoperate the new classes in an article would be to split them between those that are officially in the realms and those that could be added but arent supported

Ie classes from the first category are in and they can be used by Realms authors in future products the other classes would have unofficial incoporation notes like the Races section in Champioms of Valor

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2006 :  20:40:31  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know a lot of people would rather not see it, but there is already significant precedent for it. Several of R.A. Salvatore novels deal with house Oblodra and its psionicists (and later Kimmuriel, a rogue member). The recent House of Serpents trilogy is extremely focused on psionics. I recall a short story from one of the 2 Dragon anthologies that had a wilder. There is also a lot of talk floating around about Auppenser. I actually think that it's a whole missing from FR supplements. I'm not suggesting that any more mechanics be added, or that people use every class presented in the XPH and CP, but it's simply undeniable that psionics plays a role, albeit relatively minor, in FR.

I know. Although I don't care for them, I have used them in villians. A psion vampire to be exact.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  03:13:09  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where exactly is the duskblade detailed?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  04:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

where exactly is the duskblade detailed?

Players handbook 2

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  00:44:16  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: The Xothol/Dwarven wizards -- I figured on using the information in the Xothol as a way of bringing the 'Runecaster' PrC (from Races of Stone) into the game, mainly because I like the class. It was a way to bring in armored Dwarven mages.

But the idea of Dwarven warmages sounds fine too.
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  05:11:03  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the Races of Stone Runecaster that different then the Runcaster in the FRCS?
(I didn't even know there was a runcaster in RoS.....)
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  13:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

the Races of Stone runecaster is a wizards/arcane PrCand the FRCS runecaster is a cleric/divine PrC

the RoS runecaster is a short PrC that basically allows the dwarven wizard to etch spells into stone and metal materials to avoid using material components and create permanent "scrolls" (If I remember right...I think they also allow wizards to wear certain armours

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  16:19:18  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might have to take a look at that. Though I really have no desire for the rest of RoS....
The dilemma, due to budget there are several Realms tomes on the list before this.

Thank you for the answer Kalin agrivar
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  16:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:

the Races of Stone runecaster is a wizards/arcane PrCand the FRCS runecaster is a cleric/divine PrC

the RoS runecaster is a short PrC that basically allows the dwarven wizard to etch spells into stone and metal materials to avoid using material components and create permanent "scrolls" (If I remember right...I think they also allow wizards to wear certain armours

Basically it allows you to change the Somatic aspects of a spell into Material ones by making them into runes. You also have to have a proficiency in heavy armor to qualify. The 'permanent scroll' I don't remember, but when the class tops out you can carve a rune into your own flesh as a permanent magical ability.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2006 :  16:50:01  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thank you for the answer Kalin agrivar

no problem

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
Basically it allows you to change the Somatic aspects of a spell into Material ones by making them into runes. You also have to have a proficiency in heavy armor to qualify. The 'permanent scroll' I don't remember, but when the class tops out you can carve a rune into your own flesh as a permanent magical ability.

yeah, all I could really remember is that it was an arcane PrC and had to do with etching stone and metal...

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2006 :  16:51:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

One way to incoperate the new classes in an article would be to split them between those that are officially in the realms and those that could be added but arent supported

Ie classes from the first category are in and they can be used by Realms authors in future products the other classes would have unofficial incoporation notes like the Races section in Champioms of Valor

I've been using this philosophy in upcoming projects.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  02:52:54  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But none of the new classes are in, correct? Except maybe the warlock.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  03:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But none of the new classes are in, correct? Except maybe the warlock.

Well the favoured Souls now in, its appeared in an FR product

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2006 :  21:47:15  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really can't say much, but I can say that these issues are being talked about and your opinions are being listened to regarding this issue.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000