Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's guide to the sword coast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  19:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am thinking of buying this. Before I do tell the this: Is it any good? Is it worth $4.95?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  20:53:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

I am thinking of buying this. Before I do tell the this: Is it any good? Is it worth $4.95?

In my opinion, it's the third best of the Volo's Guides, and one of the best sourcebooks around. The only Volo's Guides I like better are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work , now available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page).

In pdf or print (I have both), it's well worth the $5.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  00:52:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agrees with Wooly, though for me VGttSC ranks as second, above that of VGtATM.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  01:29:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Agrees with Wooly, though for me VGttSC ranks as second, above that of VGtATM.

Well, the Volo's Guides are the best regional sourcebooks available, at least for the inhabited parts of the Realms. Going for regional descriptions, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast would be the second pick. But overall, I'd have to say that Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) slightly edges it out, because of the wealth of magical lore -- especially the material on magical properties of various materials.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  01:36:21  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say all of the Volo's Guides are worth having, as would many people here.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  02:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
In my opinion, it's the third best of the Volo's Guides, and one of the best sourcebooks around. The only Volo's Guides I like better are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work , now available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page).

In pdf or print (I have both), it's well worth the $5.

I don't count Volo's Guide to All Things Magical as a "Volo's" guide..it was more like a "Tome of Faerunian Magic" with Volo's finger prints...it was a really good book but the "Volo Guides" are like travelogues that gave alot of flavour to the Realms, more than any other Realkms product IMHO

I just wish they would have continued into the East and South

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  02:14:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the Volo's Guides are the best regional sourcebooks available, at least for the inhabited parts of the Realms. Going for regional descriptions, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast would be the second pick.
Aye.

Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II tends to come in before Volo's Guide to Cormyr for me, in terms of the regional Volo's Guides.

quote:
But overall, I'd have to say that Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) slightly edges it out, because of the wealth of magical lore -- especially the material on magical properties of various materials.
In that case, I agree.

Though Ed's Spellfire section (and a few others -- like the material on the magical properites of various materials) ensures that it would rank second overall in terms of ALL Volo's Guides.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  03:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the original question, yes, this book is worth owning, especially if you love the Western Heartlands. The drawings in it are wonderful too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  04:48:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Indeed. I made a point of buying pdfs of the ones that aren't free for downloading, just so I'd have them handy at work.

I'm another who mourns the discontinuation of that product line. As I've said more than once, the Volo's Guides make the Realms come alive, unlike any other sourcebook before or since.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  07:32:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think other scribes have said what needs to be said about the Volo guides, but just for the record: In my opinion a Volo guide is among the best realms products you can find and Volo's guide to the Sword Coast is one of the best in the series. Yes its worth $4.95
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  08:38:03  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a great book! I cannot tell you how many campaign and adventure ideas it inspired when it was first released... and probably would again next time I go back to it.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Ryss Firemaster
Acolyte

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  18:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Ryss Firemaster's Homepage Send Ryss Firemaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll just take this chance to make my own little inquiry. Have the guide to Baldurs Gatet become available for downloading anywhere?

"People lie. Online doubly so!"
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  18:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you mean Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, it came out too late to be part of the ESD programme.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  23:23:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I came late to that game, what kind of guide was it? We're not talking about the second half of the manual, are we?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  01:29:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I came late to that game, what kind of guide was it? We're not talking about the second half of the manual, are we?

No. 'Tis a fully detailed Volo's Guide style sourcebook to Amn and some of the surrounding environs, some of which were featured in the game itself.

Overall, a worthy addition to the VG line.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  01:29:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Nope. You're thinking of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate. Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II was an actual product, a kind of regional sourcebook/supplement to the game combo. It's got some good stuff, but the thinnest page count of the proper Volo's Guides.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  00:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Indeed. I made a point of buying pdfs of the ones that aren't free for downloading, just so I'd have them handy at work.

Just where can you buy PDFs of the Volos?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  00:32:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

quote:

rpgnow.com or paizo's web site, you know the Dragon/Dungeon people.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  00:56:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I got mine from Paizo.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  01:10:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Note however, there is no PDF for Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, as Faraer previously noted.

If you looking for a copy of this particular Guide, you're going to have to try the sites Kuje mentioned, for printed copies at reasonable prices (US$).

Edited by - The Sage on 29 Aug 2006 01:11:24
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  17:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje, Sage, and Wooly: thanks to all three of you.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  03:36:47  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i too love the Volo's Guides. For $4.95, its a steal. They really add backround to the various parts of the realms. If you campaign in that area, get it. If not, get it.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  05:07:57  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought Volo's guide to the North, Baldur's Gate 2, and the Sword Coast at the DragonCon dealers room for a combined total of $23. They're great!

Does anybody know a typical price for the "Faces of Evil" book? One dealer was offerring it for $65, but that was much more than I was willing to pay for a relatively thin book that I coudn't even leaf through...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  05:32:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

I just bought Volo's guide to the North, Baldur's Gate 2, and the Sword Coast at the DragonCon dealers room for a combined total of $23. They're great!

Does anybody know a typical price for the "Faces of Evil" book? One dealer was offerring it for $65, but that was much more than I was willing to pay for a relatively thin book that I coudn't even leaf through...

65 seems to be a good price, the ebay store has it for 67, abe books has it for 100+, amazon has it for 67 to 100+. I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  05:40:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

65 seems to be a good price, the ebay store has it for 67, abe books has it for 100+, amazon has it for 67 to 100+.
Agreed.

When nobleknight.com and dragontrove.com were offering near-mint copies of Faces of Evil for sale, they ranged between $55 and $70 US, so $65 US doesn't seem that far out of scope.

quote:
I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.
Which makes me so glad that I purchased the original boxed sets upon their initial releases.

Planes of Law is currently available at my local gaming store... though it carries a $150 AUS price tage.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  07:56:03  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never cared that much for Planescape, but seeing these prices it sort of annoys me that my Planes of Chaos and Campaign setting boxes (only opened once each) seem to have disappeared somehow.

Strange, except for one part of a three part module for another system its the only gaming material I own that I can not find.
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  14:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.
Which makes me so glad that I purchased the original boxed sets upon their initial releases.

Planes of Law is currently available at my local gaming store... though it carries a $150 AUS price tage.

wow! I got that box set (Planes of Law) in a clearance at a comic shop for $15 canadian!

I am always amazed how much these books go for now..I am afraid to tally my whole collection...may have to get an insurance policy for it!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  16:33:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:
quote:

wow! I got that box set (Planes of Law) in a clearance at a comic shop for $15 canadian!

I am always amazed how much these books go for now..I am afraid to tally my whole collection...may have to get an insurance policy for it!

As do I. I've had to spend at least 3k american on RPG sourcebooks if not more, and I'm still working on completing some things that I'm missing for Ravenloft, Dungeon, Dragon. Even some of the FR tomes I've paid 50 to 100 for like Code of the Harpers or Seven Sisters. This was before the PDF program and some of the prices seem to have fallen since the online versions have come out, but I'd rather have a hard copy because reading large pieces of text on the puter makes my eyes ache.

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Sep 2006 16:35:38
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  16:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As do I. I've had to spend at least 3k american on RPG sourcebooks if not more, and I'm still working on completing some things that I'm missing for Ravenloft, Dungeon, Dragon. Even some of the FR tomes I've paid 50 to 100 for like Code of the Harpers or Seven Sisters. This was before the PDF program and some of the prices seem to have fallen since the online versions have come out, but I'd rather have a hard copy because reading large pieces of text on the puter makes my eyes ache.

I agree...a hard copy is much better...I ahve about 1/2 the Planescape collection and have supplemented it with PDFs...the most I have ever spent on one book is $100 american for the Throne of Bloodstone module..I guess I am lucky as I bought most of my collection when it was new...

is there a thread on comparing (ahem, bragging ) about collections? There is a few things I would still like to get

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  18:10:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

I agree...a hard copy is much better...I ahve about 1/2 the Planescape collection and have supplemented it with PDFs...the most I have ever spent on one book is $100 american for the Throne of Bloodstone module..I guess I am lucky as I bought most of my collection when it was new...

is there a thread on comparing (ahem, bragging ) about collections? There is a few things I would still like to get

This thread seems to have turned into that bragging thread and yeah, well, I didn't buy many of the 1e and 2e D&D sourcebooks when they first came out because I didn't know about them until late 2e. :) Now, I've spent way to much, and I still am spending, to complete some of my sets. Sigh, I still need that 1 Bloodstone module, Bloodstone Pass, to finish the FR sourcebooks but not the Dragon/Dungeon/Polyhedron articles that were published for FR.

Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2006 :  20:40:38  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
65 seems to be a good price, the ebay store has it for 67, abe books has it for 100+, amazon has it for 67 to 100+. I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.

I was afraid of that. Does anybody know where I can find Planescape PDF's (um, so long as its not against candlekeep policy)?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000