Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Volo's guide to the sword coast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nokom Posted - 23 Aug 2006 : 19:51:36
I am thinking of buying this. Before I do tell the this: Is it any good? Is it worth $4.95?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 07 Sep 2006 : 05:20:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

As do I. I've had to spend at least 3k american on RPG sourcebooks if not more, and I'm still working on completing some things that I'm missing for Ravenloft, Dungeon, Dragon.
I don't want to even hazard a guess about how much I've spent on trying to complete my non-FR RPG collections. I seem to have material here from nearly every RPG TSR/WotC has ever published... and that includes alternate rulesystems like Alternity.
Kuje Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 21:24:11
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

quote:
65 seems to be a good price, the ebay store has it for 67, abe books has it for 100+, amazon has it for 67 to 100+. I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.

I was afraid of that. Does anybody know where I can find Planescape PDF's (um, so long as its not against candlekeep policy)?

RPGNOW.COM or Paizo's web site.

And yeah, some of the sourcebooks have come down and as I said, I paid for it before the ESD program started so a lot of prices were still high/higher. Ah well, I wanted it and I bought it and I paid for it. :)
lowtech Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 20:46:52
quote:
Even some of the FR tomes I've paid 50 to 100 for like Code of the Harpers or Seven Sisters.

You're going to hate me for mentioning this, but...
a dealer was offerring Code of the Harpers for $10.

If it makes you feel any better, I meant to buy it myself but I forgot to add it to a stack of material I was buying at a reduced price
lowtech Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 20:40:38
quote:
65 seems to be a good price, the ebay store has it for 67, abe books has it for 100+, amazon has it for 67 to 100+. I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.

I was afraid of that. Does anybody know where I can find Planescape PDF's (um, so long as its not against candlekeep policy)?
Kuje Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 18:10:10
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

I agree...a hard copy is much better...I ahve about 1/2 the Planescape collection and have supplemented it with PDFs...the most I have ever spent on one book is $100 american for the Throne of Bloodstone module..I guess I am lucky as I bought most of my collection when it was new...

is there a thread on comparing (ahem, bragging ) about collections? There is a few things I would still like to get

This thread seems to have turned into that bragging thread and yeah, well, I didn't buy many of the 1e and 2e D&D sourcebooks when they first came out because I didn't know about them until late 2e. :) Now, I've spent way to much, and I still am spending, to complete some of my sets. Sigh, I still need that 1 Bloodstone module, Bloodstone Pass, to finish the FR sourcebooks but not the Dragon/Dungeon/Polyhedron articles that were published for FR.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 16:39:43
quote:
As do I. I've had to spend at least 3k american on RPG sourcebooks if not more, and I'm still working on completing some things that I'm missing for Ravenloft, Dungeon, Dragon. Even some of the FR tomes I've paid 50 to 100 for like Code of the Harpers or Seven Sisters. This was before the PDF program and some of the prices seem to have fallen since the online versions have come out, but I'd rather have a hard copy because reading large pieces of text on the puter makes my eyes ache.

I agree...a hard copy is much better...I ahve about 1/2 the Planescape collection and have supplemented it with PDFs...the most I have ever spent on one book is $100 american for the Throne of Bloodstone module..I guess I am lucky as I bought most of my collection when it was new...

is there a thread on comparing (ahem, bragging ) about collections? There is a few things I would still like to get
Kuje Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 16:33:37
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
quote:
I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.
Which makes me so glad that I purchased the original boxed sets upon their initial releases.

Planes of Law is currently available at my local gaming store... though it carries a $150 AUS price tage.

wow! I got that box set (Planes of Law) in a clearance at a comic shop for $15 canadian!

I am always amazed how much these books go for now..I am afraid to tally my whole collection...may have to get an insurance policy for it!

As do I. I've had to spend at least 3k american on RPG sourcebooks if not more, and I'm still working on completing some things that I'm missing for Ravenloft, Dungeon, Dragon. Even some of the FR tomes I've paid 50 to 100 for like Code of the Harpers or Seven Sisters. This was before the PDF program and some of the prices seem to have fallen since the online versions have come out, but I'd rather have a hard copy because reading large pieces of text on the puter makes my eyes ache.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 14:34:03
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
quote:
I forgot what I paid for it but most Planescape material, especially the box sets, cost you a bit. I paid 100+ for one of my Planes of box sets.
Which makes me so glad that I purchased the original boxed sets upon their initial releases.

Planes of Law is currently available at my local gaming store... though it carries a $150 AUS price tage.

wow! I got that box set (Planes of Law) in a clearance at a comic shop for $15 canadian!

I am always amazed how much these books go for now..I am afraid to tally my whole collection...may have to get an insurance policy for it!
Jorkens Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 07:56:03
I never cared that much for Planescape, but seeing these prices it sort of annoys me that my Planes of Chaos and Campaign setting boxes (only opened once each) seem to have disappeared somehow.

Strange, except for one part of a three part module for another system its the only gaming material I own that I can not find.
The Sage Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 05:40:11
quote:

quote:

I just bought Volo's guide to the North, Baldur's Gate 2, and the Sword Coast at the DragonCon dealers room for a combined total of $23. They're great!

Does anybody know a typical price for the "Faces of Evil" book? One dealer was offerring it for $65, but that was much more than I was willing to pay for a relatively thin book that I coudn't even leaf through...

65 seems to be a good price, the ebay store has it for 67, abe books has it for 100+, amazon has it for 67 to 100+.
Agreed.

When nobleknight.com and dragontrove.com were offering near-mint copies of Faces of Evil for sale, they ranged between $55 and $70 US, so $65 US doesn't seem that far out of scope.

quote:

Kuje Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 05:32:03
quote:

I just bought Volo's guide to the North, Baldur's Gate 2, and the Sword Coast at the DragonCon dealers room for a combined total of $23. They're great!

Does anybody know a typical price for the "Faces of Evil" book? One dealer was offerring it for $65, but that was much more than I was willing to pay for a relatively thin book that I coudn't even leaf through...

lowtech Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 05:07:57

MerrikCale Posted - 04 Sep 2006 : 03:36:47
i too love the Volo's Guides. For $4.95, its a steal. They really add backround to the various parts of the realms. If you campaign in that area, get it. If not, get it.
Ardashir Posted - 29 Aug 2006 : 17:44:39
Kuje, Sage, and Wooly: thanks to all three of you.
The Sage Posted - 29 Aug 2006 : 01:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'd say all of the Volo's Guides are worth having, as would many people here.

Indeed. I made a point of buying pdfs of the ones that aren't free for downloading, just so I'd have them handy at work.

Just where can you buy PDFs of the Volos?

Note however, there is no PDF for Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, as Faraer previously noted.

If you looking for a copy of this particular Guide, you're going to have to try the sites Kuje mentioned, for printed copies at reasonable prices (US$).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Aug 2006 : 00:56:30
quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed. I made a point of buying pdfs of the ones that aren't free for downloading, just so I'd have them handy at work.

I got mine from Paizo.
Kuje Posted - 29 Aug 2006 : 00:32:31
quote:

quote:

quote:

rpgnow.com or paizo's web site, you know the Dragon/Dungeon people.
Ardashir Posted - 29 Aug 2006 : 00:11:57
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Aug 2006 : 01:29:04
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I came late to that game, what kind of guide was it? We're not talking about the second half of the manual, are we?

Nope. You're thinking of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate. Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II was an actual product, a kind of regional sourcebook/supplement to the game combo. It's got some good stuff, but the thinnest page count of the proper Volo's Guides.
The Sage Posted - 26 Aug 2006 : 01:29:03
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I came late to that game, what kind of guide was it? We're not talking about the second half of the manual, are we?

No. 'Tis a fully detailed Volo's Guide style sourcebook to Amn and some of the surrounding environs, some of which were featured in the game itself.

Overall, a worthy addition to the VG line.
Hoondatha Posted - 25 Aug 2006 : 23:23:50
Faraer Posted - 25 Aug 2006 : 18:54:44
If you mean Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, it came out too late to be part of the ESD programme.
Ryss Firemaster Posted - 25 Aug 2006 : 18:50:38
I'll just take this chance to make my own little inquiry. Have the guide to Baldurs Gatet become available for downloading anywhere?
Eremite Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 08:38:03
It's a great book! I cannot tell you how many campaign and adventure ideas it inspired when it was first released... and probably would again next time I go back to it.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 07:32:32
I think other scribes have said what needs to be said about the Volo guides, but just for the record: In my opinion a Volo guide is among the best realms products you can find and Volo's guide to the Sword Coast is one of the best in the series. Yes its worth $4.95
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 04:48:07
quote:

I'm another who mourns the discontinuation of that product line. As I've said more than once, the Volo's Guides make the Realms come alive, unlike any other sourcebook before or since.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 03:29:18
To answer the original question, yes, this book is worth owning, especially if you love the Western Heartlands. The drawings in it are wonderful too.
The Sage Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 02:14:05
quote:

Well, the Volo's Guides are the best regional sourcebooks available, at least for the inhabited parts of the Realms. Going for regional descriptions, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast would be the second pick.
Aye.

Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II tends to come in before Volo's Guide to Cormyr for me, in terms of the regional Volo's Guides.

quote:
But overall, I'd have to say that Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ) slightly edges it out, because of the wealth of magical lore -- especially the material on magical properties of various materials.
In that case, I agree.

Though Ed's Spellfire section (and a few others -- like the material on the magical properites of various materials) ensures that it would rank second overall in terms of ALL Volo's Guides.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 02:07:44
quote:
In my opinion, it's the third best of the Volo's Guides, and one of the best sourcebooks around. The only Volo's Guides I like better are Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work , now available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page).

In pdf or print (I have both), it's well worth the $5.

I don't count Volo's Guide to All Things Magical as a "Volo's" guide..it was more like a "Tome of Faerunian Magic" with Volo's finger prints...it was a really good book but the "Volo Guides" are like travelogues that gave alot of flavour to the Realms, more than any other Realkms product IMHO

I just wish they would have continued into the East and South
Reefy Posted - 24 Aug 2006 : 01:36:21

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000