Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Treasure
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Von Seossk
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  17:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Relativly new here, and this is my first topic. I was posting on the strange items thread, and had a thought...my DMs would either roll on the table in the DMG to divvy out treasure (which is what leads to some of the bizzare items such as brooms and boats) but I've also had at least one DM hand out treasure completly off the top of his head it seemed. I was curious as to some of the ways that DMs out their decide what treasure to give their players, and for the players, their preferred way of gaining it. For example, I'm a bit of a Monty Haul, the more the better. I've never actually tried crafting items on my own, unless you count enchanting weapons and armor.

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  17:38:08  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I guess I would like to be somewhere in the middle.

I'd certainly use the random tables - as its a bit less pondering - however - I would determine if the result actually made sense.

No Swords for the Rust Monster lair, for example!

Or, not necessarilly any Incense of Meditation for cleric NPCs - they probably would have been using it - possibly even in preperation to meeting the PCs.

Also - power-level is something of a concern to me. I would not randomly roll a +3 Warhammer for a small band of orcs. Too powerful. As far as 'underpowered' - I would thihnk that I would be more inclined to go that way. Whos to say that a Lich or Dragon does not have a couple of +1 Daggers in its treasure. Certainly (I would guess) would have better to use themselves - or provide to a minion than the +1 - which makes sense then that it would be in 'the hoard'.

Otherwise - I also like knowing in advance. No fun running an encounter witha monster, and having that monster either miss 'just barely' in combat a number of times - or get hit 'just barely' some of the time - only to roll up a magic weapon or armor piece that would have changed the outcome of the battle. (*sigh - been there - wont repeat!*)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  17:52:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pretty much follow the same routine as Dhomal describes. Random tables if nothing specific comes to mind, and then seeing if the result is something that is logical or that I can use.

Other times an adventure can be designed around a type of magical item or the type of creature/ NPC. If I play with one or two players there is also the question of an items usability for the character.
Go to Top of Page

Von Seossk
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  18:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Von Seossk's Homepage Send Von Seossk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's happened to everyone, having close calls in combat and then getting that damn armor or weapon that's one point better than what you already have. In one session a character got entangled in some rope of binding, and guess what he found in his portion of the treasure? Lo and behold, his own rope of binding. He got so pissed off.
Go to Top of Page

Jon Grey
Acolyte

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  01:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Jon Grey's Homepage Send Jon Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always found that a mixed approach helps, but I usually know what's in the "hoard" beforehand, as I like that much control over the story; if there IS a flying carpet, and no one tries to find any magical items, then that's been left there usually (and because I'm mean, it will usually come back to haunt the players — but I digress).

For random encounters, it's usually a couple of coins, standard equipment, etc. I'll roll on some tables if I feel it's warranted (merchant caravans that are 'saved' for instance).

Of all the people that have lied to me/
Bards tend to do it most beautifully. -Rehthan Cotheras, Harper
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  23:14:48  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually put treasure that I think makes sense to the area (e.g. a Netherese Ruin with spellbooks, scrolls, bizarre and handy). When all else fails, I roll the dice and reroll if it's something I don't want to give (like boots of flying if there is a chasm I don't want them to cross).

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000