Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The Return of Shade Enclave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  20:53:09  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje, if you look to the post above the one you answered, you'll see that Shadovar obviously have at least heard of (and most likely read)the events that take place in those books.

Which only makes me have to repeat the beginning of Kuje's post:
Uh?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  21:22:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Kuje, if you look to the post above the one you answered, you'll see that Shadovar obviously have at least heard of (and most likely read)the events that take place in those books.

Which only makes me have to repeat the beginning of Kuje's post:
Uh?

Hence my Uh? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  22:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably the limbo that Shadovar spoke was that famous group of the FR villains that are "the bad guys that never do anything bad" , and his "return to faerun" means the return to the group of "the bad guys that really threathen Faerun (is really someone doing this role actually?)

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  02:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are right, Chosen of Moradin.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 07 Apr 2005 09:18:57
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  09:30:59  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this is just an imaginary scenario:
If shade enclave were really to once again return to Faerun, I wonder how will their return change the balance of powers in the Realms, especially when Shade Enclave is backed by the Blue Suzerain(which is a dracolich) and what new plots they will be plotting.
I am quite sure they will not return to Anauroch for a period of time but instead hide somewhere like in the Spine of The World where the chain of mountains will almost perfectly camouflage their presence and allow supply of mountain tops to make more enclaves (just suggesting) or maybe recruit allies such as orcs or the gray dwarves to aid their restoration of Netheril.
So I anticipate the Zhentarim, Cult of the Dragon and the various cities or maybe the phaerimm to refocus on the new enemy that has returned.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  09:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Zhentarim may very likely attack shade enclave with their might as shade enclave do represent a major threat to their interests and their supply routes in the deserts of Anauroch as if I am not wrong, Two princes of shade enclave on behalf of their city made a pact with the Blue Suzerain to drive the Zhentarim out of the desert in return of the dracolich aid against the phaerimm. So I am sure the Zhentarim will not so easily forgive the enclave actions given the nature of the Zhentarim.
Also, the Zhentarim worship Cyric, though they formerly worship Bane, they may attempt to try seek the secrets of the Shadow Weave as afterall Cyric was interested in securing a power source such as the Shadow Weave that will put him on equal terms with Mystra and allow him to directly challenge Mystra and her Weave.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2005 :  11:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They seem to be re-fertilizating the desert right now, with the sea of shadow and all.

I doubt the zhents are going to attack - Shade is a major enemy, one they probably couldnt even defeat with all their might thrown at it. Not to mention that Telamont wouldnt be above forming alliances with zhentarim enemies, while the zhents hate the enemies of Shade just as much as Shade itself.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  06:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forming alliances with Zhentarim enemies, hmm...besides the human cities such as Waterdeep and Silverymoon and Cormyr , and the chosen of Mystra being determined foes of the Shade Enclave, I think the cult of the dragon would be the most viable and logical ally to the Shade Enclave. But the shadow blankets have disappeared from the High Ice, so I think the retransformation of Anauroch should have halted for a while. I pretty sure that the Shade Enclave would seek more dracoliches(those disillusioned with the cult of the dragon) as allies in their quest to restore Netheril and seize back the Anauroch from the Zhentarim. The Zhentarim have far greater resources and manpower than Shade Enclave plus supported by three HQs including Zhentil Keep, Shade Enclave first list of targets would definitely include Zhentarim as afterall, Cyric (through his Seraph Of Lies) tried to snare followers of Shar to his side but stopped by the youngest of the Shade Enclave princes. So I anticipate a major showdown of power between the two factions.
When that occurs, I can't wait to see who is the victor.

Go to Top of Page

Defender
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  11:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Defender's Homepage Send Defender a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I must agree with Shadovar that the Shade Enclave would not so fast return to claim the Anauroch again but they will preferably hide somewhere and employ subtle means to restore their Netherese glory while undermining other cities or opposition to them.

Justice is swift and will strike when you least expect it.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  17:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrug* A direct slug fest would be easily won by Shade. The Zhentarim simply don't have that kind of concentrated, raw magical power.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  03:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is true that in terms of magical power, Shade Enclave will truimph, but in terms of a armies, Shade Enclave armies are smaller than the combined might of the Zhentarim but able to hold their own for awhile unless the Zhenatrim utilise lightburst spells, the shade enclave armies may lose out despite their magical superiority.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  08:21:47  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Armies are sort of obsolete if you can kill half of it with a single spell. Not to mention the fact that the army can't touch a regiment of flying arcanists or even Shade itself. Also, don't forget that even the lowest shadovar soldier has at least one level of sorcerer - and thus, is well able to utilize a wand of missiles or sleep.

And err...Lightburst spells? How is that going to help in any way?

Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  09:25:08  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lightburst spells simply blinds them momentarily or maybe slay them especially shades in the shade enclave.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  09:32:49  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erm. Shades don't have any problems with light except that they loose most of their special abilities within light... But their light control ability and some simple darkness spells or similar should take care of that with relative ease.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:19:33  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

Erm. Shades don't have any problems with light except that they loose most of their special abilities within light... But their light control ability and some simple darkness spells or similar should take care of that with relative ease.

Shades do react to light. Remember Vangerdahast's weapon in The Siege? Its origins came from the light spell. Second, if you read the Erevis Cale trilogy, Cale does talk about how sunglight does sting him and give him discomfort.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As true as that might be, they dont suffer any actual penalties save those I mentioned above - and these ARE counterable with a simple darkness spell.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:35:56  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As true as that might be, they dont suffer any actual penalties save those I mentioned above - and these ARE counterable with a simple darkness spell.

Well, then you try countering Vangerdahast's weapon or the Sun with a darkness spell...

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  02:17:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here is some food for thought: Unless the shades or shadovar armies wear ruby red visors which can help to darken any light *to their eyes only*.
But shades well sort of kind of living shadows that seemed highly sensitive to light as light seems to have very adverse effects on them. Though shades are comfortable with small to moderate lights though they very prefer darkness or shadowed areas. There is a saying that the eyes is the window to the soul, so if the shades are indeed living shadows wearing a human form, lightbursts effects have light entering their eyes which seems to 'burn' them within, causing agony.
The shadovar armies (non-shades) which I know are comprise of near normal mortals besides the shades well suffer similar symptoms to the shades when lightburst spells are cast on them, how it works, not sure yet.
Well, that explanation of mine on the shades reaction to lightbursts are just well a hypothesis yet to be prove.
Any comments are welcomed.

Go to Top of Page

Fredrick Gygan
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  02:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Fredrick Gygan's Homepage Send Fredrick Gygan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm technically shades are just that... shades. They are like friggin' shadows only alive. I think, but this is just my weak opinion...

"All roads lead somewhere. Every path is the right path, unless it's the left fork..." ~Uncle Tas~
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  05:48:39  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*shrug* Your opinion is yours to have, but that doesn't change the facts. Shades do NOT suffer from any severe penalties in sunlight except the loss of many special abilities. It is uncomfortable, true. But your average Shade has a caster level of 15. Keeping an area of darkness about him should be easy via his control light ability and spells.

Not to mention that theres a cleric spell that negates any penalties from daylight... Oh, and I'd imagine that a group of powerful spellcaster loosing abilities in light has ways to keep a LARGE area of darkness or shadows about them. They surely arent going to be fussed by Vangerdahast when they have dozens of arcanists that rival his power.

Stop thinking with the novels here. In a novel, everything will work as long as the author pleases, so any comparison has to be done by the rules. Hard facts is - all you're gonna do is piss them off :)

And yes, the sun matters little as long as the shade is within the darkness area. Otherwise the spell would be quite pointless :)

Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  10:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, for well i find this topic rather interesting, if Shade Enclave does return again, what will be their first top priority target?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  10:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They did already return. And their first target were the phaerimm, who broke free of their prison when elven arrogance caused a breach in the Sharn Wall.

Now they are busy with redesigning the anauroch and old netheril for the most part. They even tried to melt the High Ice, but that got foiled by some mystran chosen brats :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  15:53:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

Excuse me, for well i find this topic rather interesting, if Shade Enclave does return again, what will be their first top priority target?

As Darkheyr mentioned, this event has already taken place within a novel trilogy. For a good summary of this trilogy, try picking up The Player's Guide to Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Fredrick Gygan
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  23:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Fredrick Gygan's Homepage Send Fredrick Gygan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I seem to be far and away from my league

*sighs*

Ah well, better keep abreast of things I suppose...

*sharpens dagger*

Or at least keep a sharp blade nearby, Muahahahaaaaa...

*laughed evilly*

"All roads lead somewhere. Every path is the right path, unless it's the left fork..." ~Uncle Tas~

Edited by - Fredrick Gygan on 21 Apr 2005 00:30:36
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  01:14:32  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They did already return. And their first target were the phaerimm, who broke free of their prison when elven arrogance caused a breach in the Sharn Wall.

Now they are busy with redesigning the anauroch and old netheril for the most part. They even tried to melt the High Ice, but that got foiled by some mystran chosen brats :)

Why do you keep saying it was elven arrogance? It didn't matter what race was there, the same result would probably occur. Galaeron is a member of the Evereskan Tomb Guards, okay? He was sworn to defend any Elven tombs from thieves and bandits, so if he finds a group of people breaking inside one, what do you expect him to do; ask them politely to come back out? Second, yes, Melegaunt did warn the elf about using magic and the Sharn Wall. However, if it was in your case, would you listen to some dark and murky stranger covered in shadows telling you what to do especially after they commited a crime against your city?

Hell, if it was another race like the dwarves, the results would've been even more disasterous, because dwarves love their treasures and fellow dwarves, and hate thieves. So while Galaeron actually listened to Melegaunt and helped him at the end, dwarves would've just attacked and not bother listening.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  06:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why, because I hate elves

And actually, it WAS rather silly of him. But for that, Troy Denning is to blame - all the white hats in there shared the intellectual capacity of a three-year-old - of ONE of them.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  06:08:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You wouldn't be descended from Jhaamdath would you?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  11:40:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And actually, it WAS rather silly of him. But for that, Troy Denning is to blame - all the white hats in there shared the intellectual capacity of a three-year-old - of ONE of them.

Harsh!

... but true.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2005 :  12:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much as I dislike Dwarves they would have fared much better against the phaerimm. And wouldn't have breached the wall since they aren't exactly known to throw magic around. They also would have given the humans a better chance to explain.

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  01:45:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weiser_Cain, dwarves can and will throw magic around if they have to. There are dwarven wizards, but we often just hear about the dwarven defenders or the battleragers. Second, read my explanation in my last post. Dwarves LOVE their treasures and fellow dwarves, and have a temper that could rival a giant. You really think they would be nicer than elves, especially from a stout race with the reputation of being grumpy and battle-crazy?!

Darkheyr, you still haven't exactly given a good response to what I've said...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000