Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Question regarding Tethyamar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Just
Acolyte

Portugal
32 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2005 :  21:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Just's Homepage Send Just a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This time it's about Tethyamar.

I have a dwarf in my campaign that is a descendant of the Tethyamar clan holdings in the deserts Mouth. I know that the holdings were lost some hundred of years back to Fiends, Wizards, Goblins, Orcs Ogres and whatelse!!! And that the king("Ghellin" by name) was exiled to Cormyr.

In my campaign I assumed he wasn't the only survivor from the catastrophe that happened there. Did I do right??

I have read somewhere, I think it was in "Lords of Darkness" that the holdings are currently in the hands of the Zhentarim? Actually it's leader is "Kara Chermosk". From what I read they hold only a small part of the holdings? My questions would be, what happened to tethyamar some hundreds of years back, what happened during this gap of time until 1372 and why haven't the Zhentarim explored further the holdings. Is there any info to be found in novels or sources besides the two I've mentioned?

What should my characters fear once they enter the keep and runout the Zhentarim, besides the wrath of the all mighty Fzoul and the others(which should be enough naturally!!!)?

I thank any interventions you might want to make! I apologize to the sage's if this is restricted access lore about the FR. If necessary I shall delete it... Just the Qindahearted

Brainstorming Paladin under the shadow of a rock shaped Abyss General

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2005 :  03:57:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well things are subject to change a few URLs for you to consider, some if not all, not canon.

http://www.nightwasp.com/daggerdale/perauswands/history.htm
Which in part offers "1370 DR Year of the Tankard
Last King of Tethyamar dies." but also offers other passing references to Tethyamar that might be of use.

http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/realmslore/races/the_dwarves_of_daggerdale.htm

Clearly fan based trying to pull lore together and IIRC one of the scribes here of candlekeep that offers some ideas and background.

http://smerdonet.net/FAI/info/daggerdale.htm
whichs looks like a mix of fan and core.

And the most interesting to me was this http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=50 an adventure as a start for the recovery of Tethyamar, the last king is not dead yet in this version.

As to whom might dwell in the mines and lands of Tethyamar these days, I do not know any official answer however would not be surprised that Shades, Orcs, Zents would only be a few of the powers that wind though the mines and the upper surface areas of what was farm land.

Lore does indeed sudjest that not only the king survived in exile, that others also so survived of the clan(s) so clearly that I do not believe is error.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2005 :  04:05:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mines where over run by Fiends and various goblinoid races and Fire Giants.

Check out Kurgoth Hellspawn and his army in City of the Spider Queen for a look at Tehtymars current Denziens

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  01:30:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tethyamar is detailed in a sidebar in Lost Empires of Faerun.

The Tethyamar-related encampment in Lords of Darkness is not the main complex.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Just
Acolyte

Portugal
32 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  02:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Just's Homepage Send Just a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks friends!
Special thanks to Kentinal and Webmanus for helping me in some small research! I guess there are more dwarves of tethyamar out there than I would imagine! Thanks to you I have some new clues about the Dwarves of the Tethyamar. Kentinal, "Muchas Gracias" for leading me there, you have done the tough part of the research that I just don't have time nor the clue on how to make!

Anyway it still leaves me the doubt, of what evil wizards would be interested in this clans holdings. There should be something mighty interesting in that city for evil wizards to storm a keep such as that. Then there is the matter of the Devils, why would they cabal with evil wizards and not take power for their own? Who is the real powergroup here, the evil Wizards or the Devils, what do you think? Here I would take Dargoth Idea as a good one, perhaps a half - fiend wizard of some kind could be the glue between the two powergroups, the Orcs and Ogres are in my opinion only thralls, or perhaps it's leader is a powerfull Half-fiend/Orog Sorcerer Warlord who decided to run the gamut of the tethyamar holdings for cheer pleasure?

The shades I find it hard to believe the Shades would make their business to summon devils(being a very nasty and dangerous business, since it can backfire!) not to mention an army of Ogres and Orcs to simply capture these holdings. The Zhentarim only came later, and they haven't discovered even half of that buried kingdom. The Red Wizards of Thay would be more prone to summon Demons or Devils, but what would make them come this far to capture tethyamar it dazzles me? There is one group that would have more interest in capturing Tethyamar to my believe, the Twisted Rune! They are ancient, They can bind any devils or Demons easily, they actually have a demon blooded sorceress among them and rumor says one of them is an elder phaerimm lich which could have an interest in capturing the hold simply because it can use it on it's research to free it's brethren! Oh, this are simple Ideas...

Anyway any further comments you might have, feel free to post them if you have the time!
Just the Qindahearted

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  03:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to LEOF Tethyamar is ruled by Barghests and their plane touched Goblin descendants (likely Goblin/Half Fiends)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Just
Acolyte

Portugal
32 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2006 :  03:19:17  Show Profile  Visit Just's Homepage Send Just a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric for the valuable information! I guess now I have an oficial version!

A pity, since in my version King Ghellin had lost all is relatives leaving only some orphans sons, one of which was called Brogan! I guess now I'll have to change this somewhat. Since King Ghellin has left is twin Brothers behind!

Any way thanks for alerting me for the presence of this book which contains a lot of the Info I was looking for! Including some info on the Imaskarcana! I'll just have to give a better reading to this book!

Thanks Eric. Just the Qindahearted

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000