Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The Return of Shade Enclave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  15:57:56  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm taking bets...

How do all of you believe that the return of the Archwizards/Anauroch/Netheril/Shade Enclave story is going to wrap up...

I think that Netheril will return (perhaps called New Netheril or something to that effect) after the Realms folk (Harpers, Moonstars, Silverymoon, Waterdeep, etc.) along with Shade Enclave finally kick out the phaerimm....this will be due to Shade Enclave's attempts to flood the desert coming to fruition and revealing/resurrecting the huge cache of magical items under the sand revealed in Realms of Shadow....

Then we get to deal with a newly-placed Shade-Prince emperor of New Netheril (or whatever they will call it), whose contributions to the Weave will be wondrous (and we'll probably see a few new wizard Prestige Classes as a result), but the Enclave will most likely not be content to simply take over the desert...At that point, the storm will peak and we'll have to endure a second war (the first being with the Phaerimm) to contain the new kingdom and its mighty, mysterious magics...

Sigh...but that's just me...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Alaundo on 18 Nov 2002 22:05:56

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  18:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Im really looking forward to "The Sorcerer" novel! One thing that I always wanted to happen has actually happened in "The Siege".

Ever since I started reading about the Realms I was so disturbed by the way Anaurach swallowed the lands of Netheril, then when the Netheril box set came out showing how the land used to be, I was even more devastated so see all that had been lost.

I was so happy when the Shades return and.......
>
SPOILER BELOW!!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
....when the Shades laid their "blankets" over the High Ice to cause it to melt trying to recover the land they left behind. Dont get me wrong, Im concerned about the other destructive results of this action, the flooding of other lands west of Anauroch, the terrific storms etc. but I was never a fan of Anauroch and I love woodlands etc. and to see them restored is a long dream come true.

As to the outcome of the Trilogy.......I really dont know. I cant see how Shade will want to give up their reclaimation of their ancestrial lands and how they can even be stopped. Im sure they will be stopped somehow though. I think that Shade will remain at its current location, as to the state of Anauroch......maybe the High Ice melt will be the new location for the Elves settlement from Evermeet??

Rad

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  19:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...

I had never even thought of that....the elves are kind of "stuck" right now....but, Larethian always provides...and I have always had a feeling another "Tree of Life" would come into being like the one that Amlauril planted on Evermeet (or, at least I believe it was her).

That would make a GREAT ending to the trilogy if the elves showed up, helped win the final conflict and then turned the desert into an elven paradise...

Thanks for the reply...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  19:27:35  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See you admit it Elves suck Dwarves RULE.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Thanatos
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  19:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Thanatos's Homepage Send Thanatos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves suck, Gnomes rule

Is "The Sorcerer" released yet? Because I'm having trouble finding it.

"Those the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad! Mad! MAD!" ~ Xzar
"What part of I'm a loner do ye not understand!?" ~ Montaron
"We're all doomed" ~ Xan
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  19:54:34  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, another dvardest, dose nobody like Dwarves.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Thanatos
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  20:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Thanatos's Homepage Send Thanatos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves are okay, I just like gnomes more because they are a minority.

"Those the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad! Mad! MAD!" ~ Xzar
"What part of I'm a loner do ye not understand!?" ~ Montaron
"We're all doomed" ~ Xan
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  21:53:37  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year I surpose, we should join to gether, Dwarves and Gnomes, shoulder to shoulder, allied.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  03:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiax -

The scribes have locked down my other forum (the Elminster thing) thanks in no small part to your comments that had nothing to do with the question...Please do not do me that favor again by making comments unrelated to Shade Enclave (i.e - elves suck, dwarves rule) ...please be polite enough to repsect my wishes and the wishes of everyone else here by sticking to the forum's subject matter......I don't want this one locked down as well!

My thanks...

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  09:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks ArionElenim. Watching the last few posts had raised concern again. Could everyone please leave out any conflicts and discussions of "favorite race" from all the forums, this has had its own topic started by King Tiax but has spread onto numerous other forums as well.

Visitors to the forums do NOT want to read about "dwarves are better than elves" on every single topic. I personally am very interested in the return of Shade and am watching this topic for decent replies, so please lets get back to it.

I will be deleting irrelevent posts in the near future. Please respect these forums. Thanks. I cant say it fairer than that.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 15 Sep 2002 09:55:14
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  19:54:12  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I see your argument, but that is what these forums are about, to put your views foward.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  21:34:09  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is, however, a difference between "putting your views forward" and blanket posting every thread with the statement that dwarves are better than elves or dwarven cities are better than elven cities. We all know by now that you like dwarves, king-tiax. We don't really need to be told repeatedly.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  21:58:18  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just get cought in the thread of things, hay lighten up.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  23:24:54  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Consider me "lightened up"
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  19:36:37  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good man.

Go to Top of Page

Mahonar
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  23:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Mahonar's Homepage Send Mahonar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read the Shades Trilogy, cos in my country they didn't translate them and i'm not quite used to read books in english...
but i would like to express my opinion :)
I dunno what there is in the old Delzoun ruins (Ascore), where Shades are excavating in search for something...but i'm quite sure that if they are trying to build a new Netheril Empire where now are Silver Marches, the Elves of High Forest will not stand idle watching that...they tried to stop the Netheril Expansion in the past (by stealing some of the Nether Scrolls), and they can do it now again. They're trying to raise a new Earlann Empire...and they would be not so happy to see their land stolen from down their b**ts for the Nth time :)

________

If this is progress, help me to regress.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2002 :  19:42:31  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you search the web you are bound to find a translation somewhere

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2002 :  04:09:57  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow was I wrong....

I thought the end of the series, however, was so ambiguous that several of our theories are still plausible.

Still, a bet is a bet...

*hands the group a small bag of platinum coins

We'll see what happens next time, though, you money-grubbing so and so's...........

Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2004 :  16:22:26  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anauroch is full of interest i was lead to believe

that some people (zentharim) had caravans passing through it.
that some other people (cult of the dragon) targeted the merchant caravans in the area to rob them.
and then we have the local bedine.
<are there other groups of influence working in the area?>

with the return of the citadel
im sure this groups will be affected somehow if not removed from the area.

SoulLord
Go to Top of Page

rowwhenn
Acolyte

France
12 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  13:40:18  Show Profile  Visit rowwhenn's Homepage Send rowwhenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

SPOILER BELOW!!!!

....when the Shades laid their "blankets" over the High Ice to cause it to melt trying to recover the land they left behind. Dont get me wrong, Im concerned about the other destructive results of this action, the flooding of other lands west of Anauroch, the terrific storms etc.

Just go and watch the movie The Day After Tomorrow... and you'll have an idea of consequence ...

http://www.thedayaftertomorrow.com/

So , i'm ok with fight with elves - but druids will try to stop cataclysm too , i suppose - will they be able ?

Edited by - rowwhenn on 07 Jul 2004 13:41:24
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  00:15:11  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SoulLord

Anauroch is full of interest i was lead to believe

that some people (zentharim) had caravans passing through it.
that some other people (cult of the dragon) targeted the merchant caravans in the area to rob them.
and then we have the local bedine.
<are there other groups of influence working in the area?>

with the return of the citadel
im sure this groups will be affected somehow if not removed from the area.

SoulLord

Soulord, I believe that the Shade Enclave has already started responding to the presence of the Zhentarim and Cult of the Dragon. I remember reading about how several caravans and slaver groups were wiped out by the Shades, who believe that the Anauroch Desert is rightfully theirs.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  00:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow I picture an eventual alliance between The City of Shade and Thay. Perhaps brokered by an intercession of Larloch on Szass Tam's Behalf.

Heck, maybe the alliance would even finally give the man excuse to gie thay their boys back, and and the allies to finally let them conquer the world.

However, I have not read the series. Was any mention of the portal network centered on the Fortress of Blister mentioned?

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  07:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno if Larloch started dabling in the political affairs of two very volitile nations it is almost certain to attract Elminsters and various Illuskan powers after all the lands of Arunoch have been controlled by many nations over the millenia.

In relation to a previous topic, the Shadovar draw there mystical energies from an ulternate weave then arcane spell casters. So there pressence in the realms does bosh for Mystra, in fact it may detract from her power. After all there are no wild shadow magic zones, nor dead shadow magic zones!

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!

Edited by - Ordin_Solandar on 23 Jul 2004 21:34:33
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  15:43:00  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

I dunno if Larloch started dabling in the political affairs of two very volitile nations it is almost certain to attract Elminsters and various Illuskan powers after all the lands of Arunoch have been controlled by many nations of the millenia.

speaking of groups of powerful, ancient liches: there´s a second group of those undead beings, imo as powerful as larloch and his sixty(?) liches!

my copy of "serpent kingdoms" arrived today, and i found on page 95 the following information:

(quote from SK)
quote:

"the sixty sarrukh liches of oreme are ancient even by the standards of most undead. only one, always known as King Oreme, is awake at any given time to fulfill the duties of monarch. the remainder lie in repose in the Crypt of Dreaming Lizards, dreaming of lands long lost and awaiting their turns to rule (1). ancient contingency spells ensure that all the liches wake up if any real danger threatens the city, or if the current awake lich is destroyed or incapitated. the current leader can also awake all of his companions at once with a single mental command. ..."

so when the shades would start to scour the anauroch for (old netherese) magic, chances are good that they´ll discover oreme, and i can vividly imagine the beating they get, at least initially. what happens if only one shade escapes to tell the tale is beyond my imagination. extended spellbattles between the sarrukh liches and the shades that bind a good part of the resources of the latter, thus giving the powergroups that stand against shade breathing time?

(1)"underworld", anyone?

btw: is it allowed to quote sourcebooks (without breaking copyright and getting in trouble with those mages who dwell at the beach)? if allowed, how extensively can the quote be?

[edit]: thx siriusblack for the citation-advice!

Edited by - tauster on 22 Jul 2004 15:59:01
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  15:55:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster
btw: is it allowed to quote sourcebooks (without breaking copyright and getting in trouble with those mages who dwell at the beach)? if allowed, how extensively can the quote be?

From Alaundo

quote:

posting [copyrighted] information on the forum is permitted within reason. You must use the "Quote" function and state the source of the information. Even then, only sparse information should be given, not full sections of text.

Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  21:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortuneatly not tauster, you see that any direct confrontation between Arcane and shade magic users would be disastrous for the realms. Arounach may be a wasteland right now but if those 60 liches the Illuskans, or another powerfull group engaged shade then the world would be in serious peril. If the two types of magic mix it tears holes in reality, to other planes, nine hells abyss ect...

Although the threat of 60 liches stairing you down across the battlefeild is enough to make the mightest Archwizards squeemish. So in attempting to retake there ancient home lands the Shadovar may be limiting their influence on the realms, because using the shadow weave extensivly may become hazardous!

I am very curious as too what effect would manifest if a wild mage dueled a shadovar. Normall magic tears reality, but what would the unpredictable nature of wild magic do. Maybe a mixture of wild, shadow, and arcane magic would create a denser form of magic?

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  15:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know the High ice was melting where can learn more on this it seems interesting.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  17:22:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

I didn't know the High ice was melting where can learn more on this it seems interesting.

Besides the Return of the Archwizards series, the Campaign Journal in Player's Guide to Faerun mentions this event.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  02:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are melting the High Ice by the use of Shadow Blankets that were mentioned in the Return of The Archwizards: The Siege.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  12:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it seems that the shade enclave is possibly in limbo for now, but I wonder will the Shade Enclave return to Faerun? If so, will we all expect surprises or rather nasty surprises?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  18:32:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Well, it seems that the shade enclave is possibly in limbo for now, but I wonder will the Shade Enclave return to Faerun? If so, will we all expect surprises or rather nasty surprises?

Uh? It did return, in 1372 in fact. :) See the Return of Shade novels or the Player's Guide to Faerun which sums up those novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000