Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eytan Bernstein
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  18:31:36  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

If I may, Mr. Bernstein, I have another question for you:
In your article on the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords classes, your brief summary on the prestige classes mentions Jade Phoenix Mages as "relatively common", as opposed to the near-singularity of 13 eternally-reincarnating members as portrayed in the book. Would this mean, that in Faerūn, that it is just another style, as opposed to a unique group? Also, you mention the Jade Phoenix Mage as being Shou in origin; what would the most common name(s) for it be in Faerūn?



Relatviely common as opposed to in the West, but not necessarily in great numbers. I'm not a huge fan of limiting the number of any given prestige class in a setting-based publication. People can do that in their own games, but there isn't a need to do it in the setting itself. If you want there to be 13, you would certainly have precedent for it in your game. People don't tend to abide by these guidelines even when their put in place. Considering that this has the feel of a Kara-Turan class, I indicated relatively common as compared to the West.

For instance, there are far more Salubri characters in VtM than can be accounted for in the mythology; any PC playing a drow, unless in an evil game, is by far the rarest exception to the rule in the Realms; Chosen are extremely rare, but people continue to ask about templates for them; few people become liches, but the rules exist for them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe these sorts of restrictions to rarely work. If a DM wants something to be rare in his game, he makes it rare.

You might have 13 in the East and 2 or 3 in the West. I suspect that those Westerners who have been indoctrinated into Jade Phoenix Magic (or studied it in some other manner) may well identify themselves by their original allegiances. Thus, a Raumathari Battlemade who studied this art might still consider himself as part of his original order. So might a bladesinger. Or, the practitioner might create an entirely new name based on the fusion of styles. I think it's up to each Western PC (and that PCs DM) to create a name that suits the fusion of styles.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 31 Oct 2007 05:58:04
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  20:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I talked with the player interested in it, and decided on a middle ground for my version of the Realms:
It's a non-unique style, (rare in the West, semi-common in Kara-Tur), but that the masters of the style actively seek out would-be apprentices. Thanks again for the (quick) response.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  16:26:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan,

The answer I got on the WotC boards was that Osse is the continent to the SE of Kara-Tur. Just thought I would make sure someone told you too! BTW, I am hoping to see you working on 4e Realms products, I really like your work.

--Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  21:34:03  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Eytan,

The answer I got on the WotC boards was that Osse is the continent to the SE of Kara-Tur. Just thought I would make sure someone told you too! BTW, I am hoping to see you working on 4e Realms products, I really like your work.

--Hawkins



Thanks. That was my impression of Osse as well, but lacking much in the way of source material, I didn't want to commit to an answer. I look forward to working on 4e Realms products as well, thanks.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  20:39:29  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan,

I've been asking this question on a few threads, to no avail... I thought I'd ask you, just in case you had a personal idea. Basically, where would you put Xephs in the Realms? I really love what you've done with Elans, and I was thinking Xephs could be a caste of the Jaamdath society (i.e. a reward ritual for loyal heralds, messengers, runners and merchants privileged by the crown/regent.

It's not really flavorful though, so I was hopeing you had perphaps a better idea...

Any help would be appreciated!

PDK
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eytan,

I've been asking this question on a few threads, to no avail... I thought I'd ask you, just in case you had a personal idea. Basically, where would you put Xephs in the Realms? I really love what you've done with Elans, and I was thinking Xephs could be a caste of the Jaamdath society (i.e. a reward ritual for loyal heralds, messengers, runners and merchants privileged by the crown/regent.

It's not really flavorful though, so I was hopeing you had perphaps a better idea...

Any help would be appreciated!

PDK



Hmm. Xephs. I would be more likely to make them an inherently psionic race like Thri-Kreen or Loxo - a slightly monstrous looking, but basically humanoid race with psionic abilities. As with the others of these kinds of races, the Shining South would probably be the best place to have nomadic tribes of Xeph.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2008 :  22:15:03  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eytan,

I've been asking this question on a few threads, to no avail... I thought I'd ask you, just in case you had a personal idea. Basically, where would you put Xephs in the Realms? I really love what you've done with Elans, and I was thinking Xephs could be a caste of the Jaamdath society (i.e. a reward ritual for loyal heralds, messengers, runners and merchants privileged by the crown/regent.

It's not really flavorful though, so I was hopeing you had perphaps a better idea...

Any help would be appreciated!

PDK



Hmm. Xephs. I would be more likely to make them an inherently psionic race like Thri-Kreen or Loxo - a slightly monstrous looking, but basically humanoid race with psionic abilities. As with the others of these kinds of races, the Shining South would probably be the best place to have nomadic tribes of Xeph.

Thank you Eytan!

The Shaar seems to tend perfectly to the Xeph gypsie-like nature. Their description in the XPH seems to align well with the principles of Shaundakul. I'll have fun with this! :)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  05:05:13  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eytan,

I've been asking this question on a few threads, to no avail... I thought I'd ask you, just in case you had a personal idea. Basically, where would you put Xephs in the Realms? I really love what you've done with Elans, and I was thinking Xephs could be a caste of the Jaamdath society (i.e. a reward ritual for loyal heralds, messengers, runners and merchants privileged by the crown/regent.

It's not really flavorful though, so I was hopeing you had perphaps a better idea...

Any help would be appreciated!

PDK



Hmm. Xephs. I would be more likely to make them an inherently psionic race like Thri-Kreen or Loxo - a slightly monstrous looking, but basically humanoid race with psionic abilities. As with the others of these kinds of races, the Shining South would probably be the best place to have nomadic tribes of Xeph.

Thank you Eytan!

The Shaar seems to tend perfectly to the Xeph gypsie-like nature. Their description in the XPH seems to align well with the principles of Shaundakul. I'll have fun with this! :)



I'm glad I could be of assistance.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2008 :  05:29:14  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Eytan, I was reading over your Class Chronicles: Beguiler article, and noticed this tidbit: The chosen of that faith, Embrel Berrodwyn (NG Male Gnome Beguiler 4/Favored Soul 4/Mystic Theurge 10) is rumored to be close to Baravar's goal of concealing all gnomes from detection.

-Does that mean that this individual is a chosen, as in a Chosen?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2008 :  04:39:55  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Eytan, I was reading over your Class Chronicles: Beguiler article, and noticed this tidbit: The chosen of that faith, Embrel Berrodwyn (NG Male Gnome Beguiler 4/Favored Soul 4/Mystic Theurge 10) is rumored to be close to Baravar's goal of concealing all gnomes from detection.

-Does that mean that this individual is a chosen, as in a Chosen?



I was leaving that purposefully ambiguous because I wasn't sure (and still am not sure) what was happening with that particular god or chosen in general. It was my intention that he be the chosen of the Baravar Cloakshadow, but I couldn't say for certain what's happening now.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2008 :  23:22:48  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Another question, again from the Class Chronicles article, this time on Duskblades, if you don't mind. With the Bladesinger analogue/"alternative" presented in the article, how would you explain the combat tactics and such that the Nael'Kerym/]H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé used in battle (if you feel comfortable answering)? I'm just doing some research into different combat styles and tactics and stuff that Elves have developed over the years, and, just something I was wondering, that I'd like to keep in mind when I begin assembling everything and putting thoughts to paper/keyboard.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 29 Nov 2008 23:23:07
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  03:33:08  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Another question, again from the Class Chronicles article, this time on Duskblades, if you don't mind. With the Bladesinger analogue/"alternative" presented in the article, how would you explain the combat tactics and such that the Nael'Kerym/]H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé used in battle (if you feel comfortable answering)? I'm just doing some research into different combat styles and tactics and stuff that Elves have developed over the years, and, just something I was wondering, that I'd like to keep in mind when I begin assembling everything and putting thoughts to paper/keyboard.



If you keep an eye out, I think you'll find some more information about fighting styles of bladesinger/duskblade/swordmages in 2009 that will help to answer some of your questions. Any more than that, however, and I would probably be violating 6 or 7 different NDAs.

If you're looking for purely 3.5 speculation, I'd suggest that the duskblades of the Realms are more militant than the bladesingers. Their style is more heavy, a little bit less finesse and grace, replaced by a lot more discipline and regimentation. A bladesinger is more carefree and unpredictable. A duskblade is more rigid and precise.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2008 :  03:36:25  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I was indeed looking for "3.5e" info. That tidbit should suffice, as I'm probably only going to be giving a paragraph or so- if even- for this "lost" style, so thank you.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  02:21:07  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I was indeed looking for "3.5e" info. That tidbit should suffice, as I'm probably only going to be giving a paragraph or so- if even- for this "lost" style, so thank you.



Think about how bladesingers would be if they were drafted into the army and drilled for generations. That's how duskblades are.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2008 :  05:21:02  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Think about how bladesingers would be if they were drafted into the army and drilled for generations. That's how duskblades are.



-Only if Colonel Blake wasn't their commanding officer. Couldn't instill a shred of discipline into some of those under his command, that one...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  21:53:38  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. I just wanted to let you guys know that I am indeed still alive. I have cut back on my online forum participation pretty dramatically in the last year mainly for health reasons. I had to have quite major ankle surgery this year and am just getting fairly close to walking again, in addition to a few other things. I will be at Gen Con this year (assuming all the physio and hard work pays out as I expect it will, and assuming I dig myself out from the MASSIVE heap of work I am doing).

I am still doing lots of design work, though there has been a shift in the kinds of things I'm doing. Still expect plenty of D&D products, including a couple of Realms articles and DDI tidbits here and there, as well as some things for Goodman Games.

On another note, I'll be closing down my website because I'm not really happy with it and don't have time to maintain it as is. If anyone thinks they can help with a website, please let me know as I am really rather limited when it comes to web design. If anyone wants to contact me, my current e-mail is eytan.bernstein@yahoo.com.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  00:56:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

If anyone thinks they can help with a website, please let me know as I am really rather limited when it comes to web design. If anyone wants to contact me, my current e-mail is eytan.bernstein@yahoo.com.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to fully help out with something like this. But I'd happily act as a sounding board for those with ideas about restructuring your site.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Aug 2009 00:57:28
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  17:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Eytan. I look forward to seeing you again at Gen Con.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  18:14:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Email sent. Hope I can help.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3391 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2009 :  00:42:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings to you Eytan.

I'm glad to hear your recovering from surgery and my best wishes to you.

One question I had posted on another thread here at CK was about Bladesingers and their role in 4e.

So, I'm assuming by the MM2 write up of eladirn and their "bladesinger" monster, there will probably be a Bladesinger paragon path.

My question is will we see this in DDI or physical book form (ie. Arcane Powers 2)?

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."

Edited by - Diffan on 20 Aug 2009 00:43:36
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2009 :  00:14:18  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to take so long to reply to your question. I'm currently working on something major and completely outside the realm and scope of anything I've ever done before, so my online presence has really dwindled down into nothingness. I'm not ready to reveal anything about what it is and who else is involved (though the "who" in question is quite familiar to you all), but I hope to be able to drop some tidbits soon enough.

A quick update on my ankle. I'm about 90% of the way there. It still hurts a fair bit some days, but I can walk quite a bit more and better than I did before the surgery and my ankle doesn't collapse and give way like it did before.

I don't know if there are any plans to do an Arcane Power 2. I'm not a WotC staffer, so I don't have any inside knowledge about production schedules beyond the products I'm working on, and I'm bound by NDAs on those (and rightly so). Given the cyclical nature of D&D editions, I think there are good odds that we'll see another book dedicated to arcane magic at some point, though I don't know what it will be called. And I'd be really surprised if we didn't see the bladesinger. When playing around with swordmage builds for Arcane Power, the bladesinger was definitely a driving force in the design, but somewhere in the course of design and development, things changed and the ensnaring bladesinger was a more logical extension of the mechanics that had been designed. I think we'll probably see a bladesinger eventually, but your guess is as good as mine as to when and in what incarnation it will appear.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  12:13:33  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoping that this scroll is still sometimes consulted:
Great work, Eytan! Both the Dragons of Faerūn and Class Chronicles are fantastic.

I would love to hear you elaborate more on the Netherese artifacts (and curse!) that the volamtar , that you describe in your class chronicles, found in the Fardrimm. What is the name of the spellbook, what do the chair and hourglass do?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  15:03:22  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Hoping that this scroll is still sometimes consulted:
Great work, Eytan! Both the Dragons of Faerūn and Class Chronicles are fantastic.

I would love to hear you elaborate more on the Netherese artifacts (and curse!) that the volamtar , that you describe in your class chronicles, found in the Fardrimm. What is the name of the spellbook, what do the chair and hourglass do?



I did a little digging, so here is the original text (which is available for free at http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606). We'll just use that as a jumping off point.

A small band of volamtar -- dwarves who patrol trails between dwarven and human settlements in the name of Marthammor Duin -- has been frightening travelers who traverse the pass between Sundabar and Silverymoon. They call themselves the Trailfinders of the Pass. Merchants staying in Auvendell claim to have seen and spoken to the group, and testify that the dwarves were affected by bizarre magic that caused them to blink in and out of sight. Unbeknownst to the travelers, the dwarves were under the effect of a Netherese curse.

The enterprising volamtar are multiclassed factotum/clerics led by Elmenhardt Gundergrlim (CG male shield dwarf factotum 4/cleric 3 [Marthammor Duin]). Their unusual plight arose when the dwarven merchant Rurik Silverhilt hired them to clear out the underground tunnels believed to have once been the Low Road. In those depths, they discovered a breach in the sealed way station that led to buried Netheril. To their surprise, the chamber beyond the breach was intact. In the chamber, they found several unfamiliar items of unknown power, including an ancient hourglass, a massive spellbook, and a magical chair.

Unfortunately, their presence drew the attention of the ghosts of Netherese who had died when they were sealed behind the gate. One of the ghosts, a powerful chronomancer by the name of Krefeldithian (not to be confused with The Chronomancer , Jeriah Chronos), cursed the dwarves. This unusual curse causes them to blink out of time whenever they try to explain what they saw or return to the tunnels.

The stricken dwarves fled the chamber, unable to take any of the items with them except for a single map of the region. Now they wander the Silverymoon Pass, trying to rid themselves of the curse.

-----------

I think the important thing to consider about Volamtar is that they are, for lack of a better term, weird. The dwarves think they got poisoned on some bad ale and started worshipping the less desirable deity Marthammor Duin. He favors dwarven travelers, who have left the dwarfholds. Other dwarves find this disconcerting and odd. Marthammor best friend is Dugmaren Brightmantle, who dwarves think is an even more strange and undisciplined deity.

So to summarize, followers of Marthammor Duin are already strange, at least by the standards of their race. The effect of the Netherese time curse has only made them act more weird. Because of that, they haven't received much aid from their dwarven brethren, who not only don't care so much, but also don't really perceive much of a change in the Volamtar.

As to the three items, it is quite likely that the spellbook contains lost chronomany spells. Unfortunately, the capacity to cast such spells is lost and the dwarves are afflicted with a chronomancy curse. Some of their allies among the worshippers of Dugmaren believe that they cannot lift the curse because they lack Heavy Magic. Either way, the secrets of chronomancy are beyond them and those Volamtar may be afflicted indefinitely. Fortunately, they don't seem to be aging much, not that it's helped them.

As for the chair and hourglass, the priesthood of Dugmaren suspects that these objects allow for, or were perhaps experiments in, time travel. But they have been wary of trying to study them for fear of meeting the spirit of the Chronomancer or running into other Netherese traps.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
256 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  16:49:27  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! that was quite a swift reply! Thank you so much! It was indeed that very article that had made me so curious about Krefeldithian, his life, his artifacts and the curse he'd cast upon the volamtar. I can't wait to implement this in my campaign. A piece of Netherese lore that my party of archeologist, I suspect, don't even know OOC. Excellent! Thank you again, I was going to say keep up the good work... But I guess WotC are not bringing freelancers onto the Realms before after the DnD Next FR-launch. Either way: All the best!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  16:57:32  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Wow! that was quite a swift reply! Thank you so much! It was indeed that very article that had made me so curious about Krefeldithian, his life, his artifacts and the curse he'd cast upon the volamtar. I can't wait to implement this in my campaign. A piece of Netherese lore that my party of archeologist, I suspect, don't even know OOC. Excellent! Thank you again, I was going to say keep up the good work... But I guess WotC are not bringing freelancers onto the Realms before after the DnD Next FR-launch. Either way: All the best!



Thanks. I'm not currently working on any D&D Next Realms, though you never know what the future holds. But I can promise that there are very knowledgeable people involved in shaping the direction of the Realms in the future.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000