Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eytan Bernstein
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  22:29:01  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm honestly not sure how often they will be released. I had originally thought once every two weeks, but then the first article got split into two parts. I'd guess once every 1-2 weeks, but that's just a guess and nothing more.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  20:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you did with the WotC article "Warlocks, Part 1" was really evocative, Eytan. I remember the discussion on this some months back in Sages of Realmslore. It was kind of neat to see the class developed along the lines similar to what sprouted in that thread. You may have had those ideas solidified well before the subject came up at Candlekeep, I realize. But anyway I think the overall dark tone really adds something to the class. They seem a heckuva lot scarier as you've developed them, versus a blander, more neutral type of archetype. Nicely done. :)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  09:00:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I hope you find the second installment of the article as riveting as the first.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eytan, I've a question for you. I realize that you have pointed out that you may convince WOTC to do a Web Enhancement for the Magic Item compendium that lists all the items that were renamed from their Realmsian origins. I was just wondering if that gets approved, if you would be interested in seeing if you could add some Realmsian names to some of the items that weren't Realms specific items? I know I can (and have) "Realmsified" magic items that aren't specific to the Realms, but you have done an excellent job with the classes so far, so just a simple evocative name for a few items might be enough to really spark the imagination.

Thanks for your time.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  11:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, I just read your rather spiffy entry on Scouts and Healers and had one question about each:
Scouts: While most of the scouts mentioned were non-human, I could certainly see Dalesfolk as making excellent scouts. How common would you say they are?

Secondly, what Elven deity(ies) might be associated with healers? I'm guessing Corellon (despite the War Domain), Angharradh, or Hanali Celanil would make viable patrons.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  13:14:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Eytan, I've a question for you. I realize that you have pointed out that you may convince WOTC to do a Web Enhancement for the Magic Item compendium that lists all the items that were renamed from their Realmsian origins. I was just wondering if that gets approved, if you would be interested in seeing if you could add some Realmsian names to some of the items that weren't Realms specific items? I know I can (and have) "Realmsified" magic items that aren't specific to the Realms, but you have done an excellent job with the classes so far, so just a simple evocative name for a few items might be enough to really spark the imagination.

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  15:17:22  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Eytan, I just read your rather spiffy entry on Scouts and Healers and had one question about each:
Scouts: While most of the scouts mentioned were non-human, I could certainly see Dalesfolk as making excellent scouts. How common would you say they are?

Secondly, what Elven deity(ies) might be associated with healers? I'm guessing Corellon (despite the War Domain), Angharradh, or Hanali Celanil would make viable patrons.

Thanks. I'm pleased that the scout entry came out well because it could have been too generic (which is how I felt the knight entry was in the end). I don't think healers would be very prominent among elves. Elves rarely are willing to devote their lives to such a narrow pursuit of magic. If I was going to choose some gods, I'd probably say Angharradh and Hanali Celanil. Correlon is too militant to have much of a tradition of healers.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  15:19:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

Ack! If only I can find the time.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  16:35:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I know you are a busy man, but I couldn't resist suggesting it. I applogize for throwing so many suggestions at you as of late. That having been said, I'd not throw so many at you if I hadn't been impressed with the work you have done so far. Thanks for all the great Realmslore.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  17:27:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I know you are a busy man, but I couldn't resist suggesting it. I applogize for throwing so many suggestions at you as of late. That having been said, I'd not throw so many at you if I hadn't been impressed with the work you have done so far. Thanks for all the great Realmslore.

Ah, appealing to his vanity. Well played, my friend. Well played, indeed.

Let's just hope it works!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  22:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You know Knight... he's a devious bast..mastermind if I ever saw one!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  23:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

quote:

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

You know, I absolutely loved that Dragons of Faerūn and many other accessories have many "standard" or typical DMG magic items called by iconic/famous Realms-specific names (e.g. something like "The Royal Dragoncloak of Impiltur" [Cloak of Charisma +6] etc.) This way they become almost "artifact-like" and unique despite their "general" DMG powers.

Hopefully you'd have time to "Realmsify" some items, like Knight suggested... it'd be nice to also have more "general" and "non-iconic" Realmsian names for some standard magic items/item types (since we now already have many "unique"/iconic names for some famous items).

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  19:28:17  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It certainly can't hurt. Writers have fragile, easily manipulated egos.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2007 :  19:29:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

You know, I absolutely loved that Dragons of Faerūn and many other accessories have many "standard" or typical DMG magic items called by iconic/famous Realms-specific names (e.g. something like "The Royal Dragoncloak of Impiltur" [Cloak of Charisma +6] etc.) This way they become almost "artifact-like" and unique despite their "general" DMG powers.

Hopefully you'd have time to "Realmsify" some items, like Knight suggested... it'd be nice to also have more "general" and "non-iconic" Realmsian names for some standard magic items/item types (since we now already have many "unique"/iconic names for some famous items).

We've been trying to do that more and more. I saw that George Krashos was doing it was an awesome upcoming project (and I can't say anything at all about it). I always try to make slightly altered versions, especially for creatures that can't usually wear circlets or cloaks.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  16:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Matthus's Homepage Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are a large number of them. Bart Carroll gave me a lot of freedom with them. As for what they'll cover, well, all I'll say is that I am throwing a wide net when it comes to classes. It's not just the most popular, but also some of the weirder and harder to explain classes as well. The first article should explain a lot about how things will work. And the second is a collaborative effort with a special guest writer. I say no more.

Well - I'll try this again, cause the articles are "needed" for giving our charaters some fleshing out
Eytan, even if you won't comment with classes we will see within the next weeks, who many more are there? I would be waiting with more patience, if you could drop a hint, if there will be dwarven characters ... (I know that you are interessted in the elves - but who would do such a good job for the stocky ones! )
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  21:48:27  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The series is focused on class rather than race. As some have pointed out, elves do have a longer history of magic than dwarves, thus a lot of magic classes will be more geared towards them. That said, I have worked in dwarves in a fairly substantial number of upcoming classes, including gold dwarves and duergar and have attempted to give a lot of other races some time in the spotlight as well (halflings, gnomes, aasimar, tieflings, genasi, fae, duergar, and even some monstrous races).

As for my interests, I admit that I have slightly more elven characters than dwarven ones (mainly because I play a lot of magic users), but I am quite fond of all of the PHB races, dwarves included.

I plan to cover pretty much everything published in a core book. I don't know if that will include Oriental Adventures, though it will most likely include the eastern themed classes in other books such as ninjas, samurai, etc... I'm not allowed to say what's coming up next, though I will say that the following two classes are in the "dark" category like archivists and dread necromancers.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2885 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  16:43:22  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Eytan, in your articles concerning Warlocks, Hexblades, and all of that, you used a few Elven terms: Kel'min'hara, Nael'kerym, or H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé. You included the general translations for each term, but, what would the literal translations of each word be? If you don't already know, I have a large Faerūnian Elven dictionary, and I am interested in adding these words to it. While having the general translations is good, having the translations for each individual word makes the dictionary more exact, and allows me to create more word combinations, and therefore, more entries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  20:37:31  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Eytan, in your articles concerning Warlocks, Hexblades, and all of that, you used a few Elven terms: Kel'min'hara, Nael'kerym, or H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé. You included the general translations for each term, but, what would the literal translations of each word be? If you don't already know, I have a large Faerūnian Elven dictionary, and I am interested in adding these words to it. While having the general translations is good, having the translations for each individual word makes the dictionary more exact, and allows me to create more word combinations, and therefore, more entries. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some of it I made up and some of it is based on other sources. I believe Nael'Kerym was picked up from the work of Steven Schend, though a lot of these pieces of terms have been referenced in different books (Bladesinger, the Last Mythal, Evermeet, etc...). I think I made up Kel'min'hara and H'ei'Yal Drathinmaleé.

As for translations, I would say that Kel means defender, min means swift, and hara means blessed, so the translation is pretty literal. H'ei'Yal is a word for "flourishing blade dance" and Drathinmaleé means "metal artist." So literally, it would be something like "artist of the flourishing metal blade dance." Nael is dusk and kerym is blade, so it is literally dusk blade.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  17:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to say thank you for your wonderful articles. They were both flavorful and inspiring. It's nice to see WotC allowed you to write fluff material that was sorely needed in the Realms. That's the kind of material I like to see.

Too bad they won't do a "Races Chronicles", because I really would love to see articles on the new races like the Xeph, Maenads, Raptoran, Goliath, Snow Elves, Illumians, etc. make it officially into the Realms.

But with 4E on the rise, unfortunately, and the Realms being torn asunder into a whole new campaign setting with just the "Forgotten Realms" logo on the front, we'll never see anything like that again
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  00:27:29  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I would like to say thank you for your wonderful articles. They were both flavorful and inspiring. It's nice to see WotC allowed you to write fluff material that was sorely needed in the Realms. That's the kind of material I like to see.

Too bad they won't do a "Races Chronicles", because I really would love to see articles on the new races like the Xeph, Maenads, Raptoran, Goliath, Snow Elves, Illumians, etc. make it officially into the Realms.

But with 4E on the rise, unfortunately, and the Realms being torn asunder into a whole new campaign setting with just the "Forgotten Realms" logo on the front, we'll never see anything like that again

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm sure that there will be new column ideas once we have 4e Realms in place.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  01:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too was very impressed by your articles Eytan. And it was a pleasure to meet you at Gen Con.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  21:39:33  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I too was very impressed by your articles Eytan. And it was a pleasure to meet you at Gen Con.

Thanks Brian! It was indeed a pleasure. I'm amazed at how you juggle family with everything else.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  00:07:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan,

Do you know yet if you will be working on any 4e Realms materials? And if you do know (and can tell us) when can you tell us what they are?

Thanks,
Hawkins

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2007 :  08:05:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Eytan,

Do you know yet if you will be working on any 4e Realms materials? And if you do know (and can tell us) when can you tell us what they are?

Thanks,
Hawkins

I'm not currently working on any 4e Realms products. The 4E FRCS is nowhere near complete yet, so it may be a while before freelancers are involved in writing Realms products. It's certainly possible that some articles could come down the pike, though I'm not working on any right now. I can say that I'll soon be working on another non-FR project, but can't say what it will be.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  05:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may, Mr. Bernstein, I have another question for you:
In your article on the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords classes, your brief summary on the prestige classes mentions Jade Phoenix Mages as "relatively common", as opposed to the near-singularity of 13 eternally-reincarnating members as portrayed in the book. Would this mean, that in Faerūn, that it is just another style, as opposed to a unique group? Also, you mention the Jade Phoenix Mage as being Shou in origin; what would the most common name(s) for it be in Faerūn?

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000