Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eytan Bernstein
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  07:31:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey! NO fair Steven.

Geez, I want my copy so bad. Australia: the "Lucky Country" ... yeah, right!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  07:34:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hey! NO fair Steven.

-- George Krashos

use the Amazon George

Hopefully my order which includes Swords of Eveningstar, Dragons of Faerun and Mysteries of the Moonsea will be in my hands by Mid august

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2006 :  09:51:36  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Hey! NO fair Steven.

-- George Krashos

use the Amazon George

Hopefully my order which includes Swords of Eveningstar, Dragons of Faerun and Mysteries of the Moonsea will be in my hands by Mid august

I never can get a book before the 2nd week of the month (unless, of course, I had a hand in writing the book). George, I'm surprised you don't already have a copy. I thought they send at least one to everyone who helped out on a project.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6635 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  03:56:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We do it for the love, Eytan. Although this time, DoF is going to be different - although my mailbox hasn't yet confirmed that. The Pacific is a big ocean.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  08:16:43  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We do it for the love, Eytan. Although this time, DoF is going to be different - although my mailbox hasn't yet confirmed that. The Pacific is a big ocean.

-- George Krashos

It must be frustrating for you guys to have to wait for things to come out later all the time.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  09:32:20  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a personal update - I will be moving to Poland for the better part of a year on September 19th (arriving on the 20th). Poland is about 6 hours ahead of Eastern time (New York), so it is currently 10:28 a.m. in Poland (yes, I am always up this late).

I'll be teaching ESL there, though I will be continuing my freelance work on both Forgotten Realms products (no I won't say what :) and core D&D books (as well as a bunch of nifty books for some other companies).

If you are in Poland and want to say hello, or if you don't mind hosting an errant writer/game designer when I am traveling around Europe, I would be delighted to meet Realms enthusiasts. If you check out my Livejournal, you'll note that I will have a very large apartment with very little in it other than me, so I'd be happy to put someone up if they are visiting the Baltic region.

In another note, the cover for the Magic Item Compendium is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786943459/sr=8-1/qid=1156580997/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-1868666-3193711?ie=UTF8. You can also see it at my Livejournal http://manablast.livejournal.com/ I contributed a pretty large chunk of new items for the book.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 26 Aug 2006 09:35:01
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  02:23:04  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you like Poland?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  16:20:15  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bow to the masters who created the amazing book Dragons of Faerun! Best book i have read for FR (as a source book) put out at least this year. Its my favorite book. I so want to use it against ummm i mean to slaughter umm to challenge some players (yeah thats it thats the ticket).

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

How do you like Poland?

So far, Poland is great. I am in a fairly small city, but it has all the modern conveniences. As soon as I've saved a bit more money, I plan to take a trip to visit some of the castles of the Teutonic Knights. There is a small one here in Olsztyn, but the large one in Malbork, a few hours west of here. I am in northeastern Poland, not all that far from the border with Lithuania or Kalinigrad.

I find everything quite convenient and really cheap. Most food is about 1/3 the price of the average for the same thing in America. It's tricky for me to keep up the diet I was on because Poland hasn't been swept up with the diet craze that's so big in America. I took off about 50 pounds this year, but I think I've gained maybe 8 of that. It's quite normal to stabilize a little higher than your lowest.

I plan to travel to Germany in December and a bunch of other places throughout the rest of the year. My great grandmother was born in Bialystok in eastern Poland, only a few hours from here.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2006 :  21:15:14  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

I bow to the masters who created the amazing book Dragons of Faerun! Best book i have read for FR (as a source book) put out at least this year. Its my favorite book. I so want to use it against ummm i mean to slaughter umm to challenge some players (yeah thats it thats the ticket).

I'm glad you liked it. I think the next couple of books I have for Wizards are even better.

I have the Magic Item Compendium coming out in March. There is also a secret project (not FR) for the end of next year. I also have a number of articles and web enhancements coming out relatively soon - the one for Complete Mage should be out any day now.

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 25 Oct 2006 21:17:01
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  03:17:49  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

quote:

How do you like Poland?

So far, Poland is great. I am in a fairly small city, but it has all the modern conveniences. As soon as I've saved a bit more money, I plan to take a trip to visit some of the castles of the Teutonic Knights. There is a small one here in Olsztyn, but the large one in Malbork, a few hours west of here. I am in northeastern Poland, not all that far from the border with Lithuania or Kalinigrad.

I find everything quite convenient and really cheap. Most food is about 1/3 the price of the average for the same thing in America. It's tricky for me to keep up the diet I was on because Poland hasn't been swept up with the diet craze that's so big in America. I took off about 50 pounds this year, but I think I've gained maybe 8 of that. It's quite normal to stabilize a little higher than your lowest.

I plan to travel to Germany in December and a bunch of other places throughout the rest of the year. My great grandmother was born in Bialystok in eastern Poland, only a few hours from here.

when you get a chance tell us about the castles. That sounds fascinating. I love the History channel type stuff.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  03:23:37  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, I'll be happy to. You can also go to my blog at livejournal for more information on that and other things in my life and work http://manablast.livejournal.com/.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2006 :  03:43:40  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested in epic material and warlocks, my article on epic warlocks is now up http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  04:50:58  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can say that if there ever was a sourcebook on elves - perhaps Elves of Faerun - that would be something that very much interests me.

-Elves of Faerűn would make many, many people happy. I've jumped the gun, and have begun making up an unofficial Elves of Faerűn book, with all that is going on and such.

-Anyway, I want to give you a belated thank you, for Dragons of Faerűn. An exceptional, exceptional sourcebook.

-Also, thanks for being a part of the community. I still find it awesome to be able to actually interact with you authors/designers.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerűn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerűn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Nov 2006 04:52:19
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  20:51:39  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, I don't have much say in which books get published, though I do pitch suggestions once in a while (for both FR and core books). I can't really talk about them, in case they should ever come to pass, but I do hear the various requests. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision to go with an idea: does it mesh with the novel line and the general direction envisioned by WotC, is it something new that doesn't just retread on previously adequate sources, is it something that appeals to a broad enough demographic, is it something that can be done in a legitimate and complete manner, and numerous other factors.

As for DoF and my participation, you're quite welcome. The way I see it, designers and authors have relatively few ways to gauge fan reactions to their work. Participating in message boards is one of the most useful.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  02:53:32  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK. Give it up, what are your upcoming wizard FR articles? what classes are being covered?

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  11:59:52  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a large number of them. Bart Carroll gave me a lot of freedom with them. As for what they'll cover, well, all I'll say is that I am throwing a wide net when it comes to classes. It's not just the most popular, but also some of the weirder and harder to explain classes as well. The first article should explain a lot about how things will work. And the second is a collaborative effort with a special guest writer. I say no more.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  21:21:38  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are a large number of them. Bart Carroll gave me a lot of freedom with them. As for what they'll cover, well, all I'll say is that I am throwing a wide net when it comes to classes. It's not just the most popular, but also some of the weirder and harder to explain classes as well. The first article should explain a lot about how things will work. And the second is a collaborative effort with a special guest writer. I say no more.

OK, but will delve into classes such as those in Tome of Battle or Incarnates?

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  21:28:24  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I can't guarantee anything, but it's definitely within the realm of the possible.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  02:10:38  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't guarantee anything, but it's definitely within the realm of the possible.

fair enough. By the way, will these be weekly?

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  22:29:01  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm honestly not sure how often they will be released. I had originally thought once every two weeks, but then the first article got split into two parts. I'd guess once every 1-2 weeks, but that's just a guess and nothing more.

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  20:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you did with the WotC article "Warlocks, Part 1" was really evocative, Eytan. I remember the discussion on this some months back in Sages of Realmslore. It was kind of neat to see the class developed along the lines similar to what sprouted in that thread. You may have had those ideas solidified well before the subject came up at Candlekeep, I realize. But anyway I think the overall dark tone really adds something to the class. They seem a heckuva lot scarier as you've developed them, versus a blander, more neutral type of archetype. Nicely done. :)
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  09:00:57  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I hope you find the second installment of the article as riveting as the first.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eytan, I've a question for you. I realize that you have pointed out that you may convince WOTC to do a Web Enhancement for the Magic Item compendium that lists all the items that were renamed from their Realmsian origins. I was just wondering if that gets approved, if you would be interested in seeing if you could add some Realmsian names to some of the items that weren't Realms specific items? I know I can (and have) "Realmsified" magic items that aren't specific to the Realms, but you have done an excellent job with the classes so far, so just a simple evocative name for a few items might be enough to really spark the imagination.

Thanks for your time.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  11:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, I just read your rather spiffy entry on Scouts and Healers and had one question about each:
Scouts: While most of the scouts mentioned were non-human, I could certainly see Dalesfolk as making excellent scouts. How common would you say they are?

Secondly, what Elven deity(ies) might be associated with healers? I'm guessing Corellon (despite the War Domain), Angharradh, or Hanali Celanil would make viable patrons.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  13:14:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Eytan, I've a question for you. I realize that you have pointed out that you may convince WOTC to do a Web Enhancement for the Magic Item compendium that lists all the items that were renamed from their Realmsian origins. I was just wondering if that gets approved, if you would be interested in seeing if you could add some Realmsian names to some of the items that weren't Realms specific items? I know I can (and have) "Realmsified" magic items that aren't specific to the Realms, but you have done an excellent job with the classes so far, so just a simple evocative name for a few items might be enough to really spark the imagination.

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  15:17:22  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Eytan, I just read your rather spiffy entry on Scouts and Healers and had one question about each:
Scouts: While most of the scouts mentioned were non-human, I could certainly see Dalesfolk as making excellent scouts. How common would you say they are?

Secondly, what Elven deity(ies) might be associated with healers? I'm guessing Corellon (despite the War Domain), Angharradh, or Hanali Celanil would make viable patrons.

Thanks. I'm pleased that the scout entry came out well because it could have been too generic (which is how I felt the knight entry was in the end). I don't think healers would be very prominent among elves. Elves rarely are willing to devote their lives to such a narrow pursuit of magic. If I was going to choose some gods, I'd probably say Angharradh and Hanali Celanil. Correlon is too militant to have much of a tradition of healers.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  15:19:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Thanks for your time.

Oooh, I like that idea!

Ack! If only I can find the time.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  16:35:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I know you are a busy man, but I couldn't resist suggesting it. I applogize for throwing so many suggestions at you as of late. That having been said, I'd not throw so many at you if I hadn't been impressed with the work you have done so far. Thanks for all the great Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  17:27:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry, I know you are a busy man, but I couldn't resist suggesting it. I applogize for throwing so many suggestions at you as of late. That having been said, I'd not throw so many at you if I hadn't been impressed with the work you have done so far. Thanks for all the great Realmslore.

Ah, appealing to his vanity. Well played, my friend. Well played, indeed.

Let's just hope it works!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000