Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff: Chapters 28 - 40
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Lore Seeker
Seeker

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  14:55:48  Show Profile  Visit Lore Seeker's Homepage Send Lore Seeker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage
Also I was a little confused as to where Khelben went to get Ualair and Rhymallos. Could some one clarify that for me?

Weren't they in a secret passage in one of Khelben's tombs? They got to them by using Dead Man's Walk. Or so I thought. Honestly, so much took place during the last chapters that I am definately going to have to read this book again. But that is a good thing to me. I won't reread it because I feel lost, I will reread it because there is sooo much lore in it that it definately deserves a little research, as you mentioned above.

"So let it be written.....that I might read it."
Lore Seeker
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage  Send Beezy an AOL message Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was plesently suprised by the entirety of this novel. I was completely shocked at the end, I did not forsee the death of Khelben until the novel came right out and said that he would have to give his life. I really enjoyed seeing some of Khelben's memories such as when he told Larel he loved her for the first time and such. I liked the meeting of all the powerful realms figures meeting for a common cause. I also liked Elminster's brief apparence as well as Halaster's. A fitting end for the Frostrune indeed! This is one of the better realms novels I have read, especially due to the page restraints on a single novel as opposed to a trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5382 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:08:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

A fitting end for the Frostrune indeed!

Don't call him that! (Sorry, I loved how Khelben kept saying that when Tsarra would call him the Frostrune)

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  14:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really loved seeing the gathering of all the notable wizards. That was awesome. I don't think it happens enough. Probably for good reasons too.

As to where Khelben met up with Ualair and Ryhmallos I thought I saw the word Imaskar or something. I was reading quickly though.

Anybody know anything more on Tulrun of the Tent (I checked Pages from the Mages and found a spell he made)? My curiosity was peaked by his reference.

Also, I appalud the use of the Twisted Rune. I always wanted to learn more about those guys. Even though they (the organization) didn't play the biggest role compared to their loose cannon Priamon Rakesk.

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Edited by - Wandering_mage on 19 Jul 2006 14:11:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
26982 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  17:24:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anybody know anything more on Tulrun of the Tent (I checked Pages from the Mages and found a spell he made)? My curiosity was peaked by his reference.

I want to say he was mentioned in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, but I've not flipped thru that one in years (and it's at home).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
26982 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  17:29:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really enjoyed this novel... The name fits it, as well. We see part of how Khelben became the Blackstaff, and, at the same time, we see the shaping of a new Blackstaff. It kinda makes me wonder if there was someone called the Blackstaff before Khelben...

And wow, was that a who's who of prominent mages, or what? Seeing so many mages that we've only seen in sourcebooks was great, too.

I'm really interested to see how this shakes up the status quo...

When's your next book, Steven?

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5382 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  17:59:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I want to say he was mentioned in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands, but I've not flipped thru that one in years (and it's at home).

Page 60 of the Wilderness book of The North (2nd Edition) mentions Tulrun, and page 9 of Silver Marches further elaborates that he is a tiefling (as mentioned in the book)

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
26982 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  18:31:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

quote:

Page 60 of the Wilderness book of The North (2nd Edition) mentions Tulrun, and page 9 of Silver Marches further elaborates that he is a tiefling (as mentioned in the book)

Maybe that was the reference I was remembering... The North is available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jul 2006 18:31:36
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1185 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  19:04:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

quote:

Maybe that was the reference I was remembering... The North is available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

There's a full write-up of him in an old Polyhedron magazine that I wrote, but it was somewhat invalidated by the random "tiefling" comment in Silver Marches. I think George has worked out a possible "fix", but I can't remember where. George?

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1101 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  19:32:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why was he changed to a Tiefling? *ponder*

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  22:32:34  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Tulrun isn't a tiefling anymore so that might fix everything right there. Problem solved. I am really just so curious about all the wizards mentioned. Tulrun is just the beginning! Although knowing that Master scribe Eric L Boyd wrote some stuff on him makes me wonder why I haven't heard more of this tent dwelling wizard. -Scratches beard and looks up in thought.- He is a tent dwelling wizard right? I mean, it seems implied at least.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
26982 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  22:43:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, Tulrun isn't a tiefling anymore so that might fix everything right there. Problem solved. I am really just so curious about all the wizards mentioned. Tulrun is just the beginning! Although knowing that Master scribe Eric L Boyd wrote some stuff on him makes me wonder why I haven't heard more of this tent dwelling wizard. -Scratches beard and looks up in thought.- He is a tent dwelling wizard right? I mean, it seems implied at least.

Tulrun has been around for a while... He at least had a spell in the Old Grey Box...

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  23:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish they would make another Pages from the Mages with updated info specifically from Blackstaff and other great books..... but mostly Blackstaff. Master Scribe Schend has told a tale that bears the markings of legend and I would know the spells that were referred to as new in the book.

Here's a funny thought, I can talk about Myth Drannor, Waterdeep, the Anauroch desert, Twisted Rune, Drow, the North, magical items, archmages of the North, Luskan during Laeral's rule, the Crown Wars, the tragedy of Myrietar(misspelled probably), the faithful of Oghma, ancient artifacts, Khelben Arunsun's history, and......... the chosen of Mystra and I am still on topic concerning the book Blackstaff. I'm outta breath typing all of that. Once again. Awesome job Steve!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
3726 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  00:58:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric wrote up Tulrun in magnificent style for Polyhedron. I wish he'd done more of those wizard write-ups.

When "Silver Marches" came out, it was obvious that whoever wrote on Tulrun had access to Ed's sketchy notes on him and hadn't read the Polyhedron article. I'm guessing that the "powers that be" and not Ed made him a tiefling. A very 3E thing to do.

How did he become a tiefling? I postulated in my North Timeline that he ran across a rather nasty Netherese curse that transformed him.

I don't think I'm stealing Steven's thunder by confessing that I asked him to 'fix' this situation and have the Ritual cleanse and redeem Tulrun and others (including Rhymallos). To Steven's credit, generous soul that he is, he took the idea on board and ran with it magnificently. It sounds like it's all worked out rather well. At the very least, Tulrun is an Uthgardt barbarian human again!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 20 Jul 2006 00:59:37
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  02:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. George, awesome background. Just goes to show how comrades in lore can help each other.

I definitely thought Ryhmallos returning to his true form was an amazingly touching turn of events. I don't quite know his story off the top of my head but I know what he probably went through.

Tulrun and Ryhmallos. Two small peices in a huge tapestry. Bit parts that spoke thousands of words in Blackstaff. Brilliant! (Said like the Guinness brothers or who ever they are....I drink wine only anyways.)

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  19:35:31  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must... get... help!... Plot.. collapsing.. from too... many... characters... Strain.. too... much... Can't.. take.. any.. more.. Aaaaiieeee!!! *THUMP*...

Liked the book overall, but things really started getting bogged down towards the end.. Spent waaayyy too much time name-dropping and lost track of the spectacular self-sacrifice finale with the tear-jerking emotional impact.. Just seemed scattered at the end.. Blah blah blah stupid bigot elfy turd has vision blah blah blah look my scars are healing blah blah oh and Khelben dies.. Not really the gut punch it should have been.. Side character stories are a bit better in the beginning and middle of the tale, not at the crescendo where they detract..

Also, the telukiira.. No more super-power-up pills WOTC.. This has been overused too much already in various forms and other books.. Two "get an elf gem and become a supermage" stories in one year is more than enough.. No more, you're done..

And of course the obligatory romance.. Standard hackneyed Realms fare that I believe the editors mandate upon the poor hapless story regardless of whether or not it actually fits the plot (sappy romance apparently sells).. "Hey I'm a hottie redhead (of course) half-elf and you're a sexy rogue! Lets fight, fall in love at first sight, have perhaps 6 hours total of actual contact with each other, and then run off and shag at the end of the book to live happily ever after."..

But overall still a good book! Liked the history bits of Khelben's life.. Liked the insights into his character and how he developed into who he is/was.. Liked that his sacrifce was for something worthwhile with High Magic and the whole bit.. Liked the huge epic scope.. Liked that a prime villain didn't get killed and is still in the picture for later use.. Like that we have a reborn dream of Myth Drannor.. And like that it was pretty well written for a Realms book.. Good job!

P.S. What was Larloch doing at the time? Would think he would have an opinion one way or the other, and not just be apathetic about the High Moor..
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1101 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  19:46:02  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted, Khelben had a heck of a lot more reason to be messing around with Kiira than a certain other "elf" I could name... ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  21:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

Must... get... help!... Plot.. collapsing.. from too... many... characters... Strain.. too... much... Can't.. take.. any.. more.. Aaaaiieeee!!! *THUMP*...

Liked the book overall, but things really started getting bogged down towards the end.. Spent waaayyy too much time name-dropping and lost track of the spectacular self-sacrifice finale with the tear-jerking emotional impact.. Just seemed scattered at the end.. Blah blah blah stupid bigot elfy turd has vision blah blah blah look my scars are healing blah blah oh and Khelben dies.. Not really the gut punch it should have been.. Side character stories are a bit better in the beginning and middle of the tale, not at the crescendo where they detract..

Also, the telukiira.. No more super-power-up pills WOTC.. This has been overused too much already in various forms and other books.. Two "get an elf gem and become a supermage" stories in one year is more than enough.. No more, you're done..

And of course the obligatory romance.. Standard hackneyed Realms fare that I believe the editors mandate upon the poor hapless story regardless of whether or not it actually fits the plot (sappy romance apparently sells).. "Hey I'm a hottie redhead (of course) half-elf and you're a sexy rogue! Lets fight, fall in love at first sight, have perhaps 6 hours total of actual contact with each other, and then run off and shag at the end of the book to live happily ever after."..

But overall still a good book! Liked the history bits of Khelben's life.. Liked the insights into his character and how he developed into who he is/was.. Liked that his sacrifce was for something worthwhile with High Magic and the whole bit.. Liked the huge epic scope.. Liked that a prime villain didn't get killed and is still in the picture for later use.. Like that we have a reborn dream of Myth Drannor.. And like that it was pretty well written for a Realms book.. Good job!

P.S. What was Larloch doing at the time? Would think he would have an opinion one way or the other, and not just be apathetic about the High Moor..

What would Khelben do? What would Khelben do?! Calming down and I'm good. Interesting points Uno. I regret that you didn't find it as enjoyable as I.

On the subject of the elves being a bit put out at the end, well that would be my reaction if you told me that some one else is going to bring back an ancient homeland of my people. Frankly, it happens in real life all too often. Instead of working together without any complaint, every one fights over petty stuff and then some one always needs to calm the situation and lead a diverse group to accomplish an epic task. (Ualair, Eliminster, and Khelben's death stare!)

As to love and its depiction. I never question love or romance. If you understand it please educate us all.

On elves with magical gems I can not say much. I have only read one book with a gem wielding elf/half-elf. This one.

Totally agree with you on the historical glimpses of Khelben's life. How fitting! Sweet water and light laughter ya'll.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  01:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to love and its depiction. I never question love or romance. If you understand it please educate us all.

One doesn't have to understand love fully to be able to criticize it's depicition in a novel. I can't comment on the romance personally (haven't read far enough yet), but I don't agree that any writing about romance, no matter how poorly done, can be excused with a "we don't understand love and how it works anyway, oh well" rationalization.

quote:
On elves with magical gems I can not say much. I have only read one book with a gem wielding elf/half-elf. This one.

Last Mythal trilogy--that's all I have to say. The major, major plot points of the first two novels involve gaining great magical powers just by using an elven gem. Again, I can't commentyet on what happens in THIS novel, specifically, but the usage of the elven loregem in Last Mythal felt like cheating, and a deus ex machina.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1101 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  05:03:27  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy way to get around the Elven tradition of High Magic, it was.

I have a feeling that it was hardly the same in this novel.. But I'm still (slowly) on my way through it, myself. :)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  12:16:59  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

One doesn't have to understand love fully to be able to criticize it's depicition in a novel. I can't comment on the romance personally (haven't read far enough yet), but I don't agree that any writing about romance, no matter how poorly done, can be excused with a "we don't understand love and how it works anyway, oh well" rationalization.

quote:

Last Mythal trilogy--that's all I have to say. The major, major plot points of the first two novels involve gaining great magical powers just by using an elven gem. Again, I can't commentyet on what happens in THIS novel, specifically, but the usage of the elven loregem in Last Mythal felt like cheating, and a deus ex machina.

The Wandering mage reaches up and takes off his elven lore gem with a sad frown. Turns and slumps as he walks away. Turning sadly he says," Elven lore gems can be fun." Ah, I'm silly! I actually like the idea of Elven lore gems and how Steve had Khelben adjust one for Tsarra specifically. It adds some flexible possibilities to FR gamers own games (Never say never ). I can't comment on on the Final Gate series though. I would also say that the random possibilities of the reaction the gem would have due to the odd nature of its uses by a half-elf, Khelben adjusting it a bit, and the memory recall of Khelben's experiences worked out well for the story. Bravo! This is just my opinion.

Ah love. It is abstract and hardly factually based. To each person their own! For now though I agree with you Rinonalyrna to an extent.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2218 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  12:54:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is some precedent for Araevin learning high magic through a kiira, bypassing the normal route. The High Mages of Seros did the same thing in preparation for the Iakhovas war. Though it took those high lore gems about 15 years to force feed their knowledge into their bearers. On the other hand, Araevin's kiira was significantly older and more powerful.

But this is a Blackstaff thread. Considering that Steven was the person who introduced kiira N'Vaelahr, I'm sort of glad they show up in his book.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1578 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  12:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

What I want to know is, now that Khelben's dead, are his agreements with Fzoul and Sappiraktar void? Or are they with "the Blackstaff" and therefore grandfathered over to Tsara? And what do the affected parties feel about all this?

All agreements remain in force, both out of the letter of the agreements and due to the fact that Khelben's been reported dead in the past and he's come back. That's enough to keep the fear of him in Fzoul and others in the mix and thus check them.

Besides, since we've already seen that Tsarra can alter her self visually to appear as Khelben, only those in the ritual know he's actually and truly dead. How long she could maintain the illusions that Khelben is alive is....

Hm. An applause of crawling claws just appeared to scratch out NDA into the hardwood floors of the home office. Guess I'd better be quiet now.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1578 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  13:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lore Seeker

I have a question. Did I overlook something or do we never really learn the fate of the Dreamer (I forget her first name)? I know that Tsarra having the spririts of Khelben and the Dreamer inside her fulfilled the prophecy. We know that Khelben "dies" but does it say what happened to the Dreamer? Is her spirit restored? Is she sacrificed for the use of her visions for the high magic ritual? Is her spirit still with Tsarra inside the belt?

Sorry about that dropped plot thread. I'd planned a scene at the end where Tsarra visits the Dreamer in her new state, but as I already was running long, it never got developed. My bad.

Danthra still exists in a new state in Rhymanthiin. Think of it as a combination of visiting Sylune in Shadowdale, the Oracle at Delphi, and the Mouth of Truth in Rome (think Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday). She's a whisper in the ear of penitents seeking oracular advice, and she's able to manifest visually when the moon is more than half full (but only as a wispy ghostlike figure).

That help? Again, apologies for leaving her hanging there....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1578 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  13:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Did I miss something here? What was the point of the elves retaking Cormanthyr (and re-establishing it) if Blackstaff was just going to sacrifice himself to raise another lost city?

I wouldn't call this a Realms shaking event. Waterdeep shaking event more like it. Khelben is gone and Laeral is basically in exile pretty much shifts the balance of power in Waterdeep I'd say.

Cormanthyr was the greatest elven civilization in LIVING ELF MEMORY and thus restoring it would be important as a symbol.

Khelben & Co. simply restored one city of the greatest magical realm of the elves, but one long dropped away from easy memory. Faertelmiir, the city that became Rhymanthiin in its new incarnation, was the Library City of Miyeritar and thus the repository of much of the knowledge of High Magic and other magic that realm knew.

Both acts are important for different reasons. Myth Drannor is a more potent symbol for most, including the elves, because it's always been there. Rhymanthiin/Faertelmiir is important to historians and wizards in the access to lore long lost millennia ago.

And while many can find out about Myth Drannor easily, learning about Rhymanthiin beyond vague whispers and hints (like books written to hide the truth but lead the cogent to it) will be tougher. It's an open secret only to those who were there and you readers. It'll take a while for the Realms as a whole to know about the Hidden City of Hope, and even longer to get there. Think of it as Avalon/Xanadu/Brigadoon--it's a mythical city that only appears briefly to worthies and never for very long.

I'm hoping to write up more on Rhymanthiin soon, but other things loom to eat up my time right now. Maybe by year's end....

Steven

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2014 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000