Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Shandril's Saga (third book SPOILER!)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  12:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I thought the thrid book in Shandril's Saga was a real let down. I mean they didn't say what happened to Shandril's baby and she just killed herself like that! The bad guy survives and everything!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jul 2006 14:15:44

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  13:18:48  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blah99

I thought the third book in Shandril's Saga was a real let down. I mean they didn't say what happened to Shandril's baby and she just killed herself like that! The bad guy survives and everything!

[sigh] *ahem* Did you perchance read the description of this forum? The one which clearly requests "Please warn of any spoilers at the start of your post"?

Now, admittedly I'd already gathered Shandril's fate from other sources. But the manner thereof, and sundry details/circumstances within the novel itself, should have been marked as spoilers for those of us who might wish to find and read the book itself at some future juncture and take full enjoyment in doing so.

And you might want to read Ed Greenwood's archived replies here on Candlekeep: I believe he goes into some detail as to the way he wanted to tell (and end) Shandril's story, but could not owing to outside factors. The link below, to the Jan-Mar 2005 archive, seems to be most directly useful; you'll want to read the 'message' of January 10th most of all.

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/sse_010203-05.htm

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  13:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry...
Go to Top of Page

Blah99
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  13:33:50  Show Profile  Visit Blah99's Homepage Send Blah99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow...that did explain a lot! Thanks for that!
Go to Top of Page

Trace_Coburn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
137 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  13:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Trace_Coburn's Homepage Send Trace_Coburn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry...

... I feel like I just kicked a puppy.

In this particular instance, no especial harm has been done so far, so don't feel too badly about it... but in future, might I suggest that you try to be a little clearer with your thread-titles and mark possible spoilers? I have the first two books of that trilogy, and for all I know you might have intended to discuss the overall plot of the saga, not the specific events of the third book.

You might also want to edit your original post's title to something like "Ending of Hand of Fire", so that the scroll's title is clear enough that no more louts like me give you any grief this time around.

D&D collection: Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, Monster Manual I, Complete Arcane, Arms & Equipment Guide.

FR sourcebook collection: Dragons of Faerūn, Faiths & Pantheons, FRCS, Lords of Darkness, Monsters of Faerūn, Player's Guide to Faerūn, Power of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Silver Marches.

I just got back into this, okay? Give me time (or better yet money) - I'll catch up soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  13:51:13  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another tiny note would be that if you're going to make a post about a book, you may want to do a search of the Forum to see if the topic already has a scroll.
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/search.asp

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 01 Jul 2006 13:52:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  14:16:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There, a spoiler notice is added to the title.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  15:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trace_Coburn

quote:

Sorry...

[font=Comic Sans MS]... I feel like I just kicked a puppy.

Worry not, Blah99, 'tis an easy thing to let slip thy mind. All is well now Welcome to Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  21:05:08  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the trilogy ended quite well. IMO, If any more shandril stories would have come about, it would the same. evil parties wanting to obtain her powers or kill her if they could not, and all of her allies waiting to have to take her out if she got "too" powerful.

I truly enjoyed the shandril trilogy, spellfire was my introduction to the realms, but I think the story line would have continued to be along the same lines.

I do agree with you that several loose ends could have been tied up better. With my limited understanding of EG's past novels, lots end up being edited due to word count I believe. The re-released expanded versions were even edited and spliced a bunch, if I am remembering right.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  04:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I thought the ending to Hand of Fire could not have been more fitting. And I am someone who liked the main character, too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 02 Jul 2006 04:02:35
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  05:20:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great book, great ending.

This is a series that more or less have to have a "tragic" ending, even if I think that storywise it would have been better if Shandrils story had been concluded at the end of Hand of Fire. As for the loose endings, well with so many characters, hints and subplots throughout the series (and Ed's writing in general)it would have been a major stylistic break if it all came together nice and tidy at the end.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  23:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hand of Fire is actually my least favorite of Greenwood's novels. The whole wagon train just didn't do it for me ("I've come to help, milady--ACK!" *spellfire in the face*), and I was constantly wondering why Sharantyr was using a statue at the end of a string as a weapon. I liked the book, but not nearly as much as Spellfire and Crown of Fire.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 10 Jul 2006 23:40:59
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  02:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I found the wagon train scenes to be repetitive, myself. And yes...I didn't get the statue on a string thing, either.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  16:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must confess, I would have been much more satisfied with Ed's original idea behind it.

It would have given some set of happiness to Shandril and Narm.

I just re-read that book and its still quite tragic.

But man, poor Ed never catches a break with his editors does he?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  23:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, is it really the case that Ed didn't intend for Shandril to die at the end like that? I'm not so sure. Personally I thought her ending was well in keeping with the theme of the series.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  23:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the link says that Ed wanted her to live with no memory of being a Spellfire wielder and losing her powers.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000