Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Drizzt and the elven child-- looking for spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I'm done reading Salvatore (I quit halfway through The Halfling's Gem), I'm still curious to know if Drizzt ever met again the female elven child he saved in "Homeland" (in the surface raid)?

...because I always imagined he did. Can anyone who read through the series let me know?

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:27:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes they did meet up.....

and since you asked for spoilers...

He kills her.(she forces him to)

Then goes through like two novels worth of self loathing.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More spoilers:

Then the elves raise her from the dead and she tells him she's at peace with it all, so all is right in the world.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:37:51  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, after they contact her spirit and she tells him all is well....

He strikes up a (Platonic) relationship with the hot female elf who has been searching for the girl.

Go to Top of Page

Horatio
Seeker

Israel
59 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:48:15  Show Profile  Visit Horatio's Homepage Send Horatio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  18:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Er, they aren't joking, you know. That's really how it happens.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  18:59:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, it is. Suffice it to say that some of us are not happy with that chain of events, though there are many different reasons for it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  20:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Horatio

Hadn't I read all the stuff I would have thought it a joke also, but 'tis true...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  21:47:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I read about it this way the concept does seem a bit weird.......

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  21:59:39  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankfully, it all gets better when he embarks on a one-drow genocide against orcs.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  22:00:44  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doesn't it always get better when the CG Drow Ranger slaughters the Orcs? ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  22:23:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And don't worry, even after he embarks on his one elf crusade, there is plenty of brooding and introspective journal entries.

When does he take the time out of his busy schedule to write so D#$N much?

And oh yeah no sex for The Drizzit.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt kills her then goes, then goes through one of his emo depression phases for a while. I woudn't be suprised if he enjoyed some sort of Realms version of Fallout Boy.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:05:38  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

When does he take the time out of his busy schedule to write so D#$N much?

Or how does he carry around that much ink and paper?

Unless, of course, in the fashion of navel-gazing emo kindergoths everywhere, he writes with his own blood.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:32:13  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or his tears.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  13:38:16  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, he gets enough orc blood to use as ink.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe he uses invisible ink... that could be the reason why he types the same old same old again and again. He forgot how to make the pages visible...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its quite amusing to see the whole storyline with the elven child sumarized into a few lines. Its rather silly when presented like that... Big fan of Drizzt, but could do without the periods of excessive sobbing and downpours of emotions. But as an add on for the initial question, even though the story as presented here sounds like it is not worth reading, it is. The events mentioned above stretches over several books and it isnt as sickening as one could come to think... But it sounds funnier when presented like that. Good job my fellow sages...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:12:09  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live to provide humor! My wife thinks that mayhaps I was a jester in a former life.(Hmmm wonder if it is quite the complement I took it as? ) )

To laugh is to breathe and to breathe is to live!!

If ever Drizzt would start to laugh at himself in a journal entry he would gain a whole new view of his life.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 07 Aug 2006 15:14:17
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  16:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whether some people consider it worth reading or not, I still wonder how the "bring Ellifain back so she can forgive Drizzt" farce would have gone down had Salvatore had written FR elves rather than faux-FR, out-of-character, tread-roughshod-on-established-lore elves. Probably something like--

ELF 1: Okay, guys! We're going to bring back a spirit from Arvandor!
ELF 2: ...what... what the hell? Why?
ELF 1: See, there's this drow ranger who's been feeling guilty and he'd really, really like us to violate one of our greatest taboos so he can feel better about himself--
ELF 2: Omg, you've been possessed/mind-controlled/subverted by forces of evil! *proceeds to club ELF 1 senseless*

At the very least.

Edited by - Winterfox on 07 Aug 2006 16:37:19
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:09:20  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

Its quite amusing to see the whole storyline with the elven child sumarized into a few lines. Its rather silly when presented like that... Big fan of Drizzt, but could do without the periods of excessive sobbing and downpours of emotions. But as an add on for the initial question, even though the story as presented here sounds like it is not worth reading, it is. The events mentioned above stretches over several books and it isnt as sickening as one could come to think... But it sounds funnier when presented like that. Good job my fellow sages...

Agreed. Drizzt is a great character, but seriously needs to see a psycologist.

Main reason i don't like Dark Elf trilogy. The others were mostly great because Drizzt was just one of the characters and the focus was mostly still on his adventures rather than his emotions(although there is plenty of that too). You might as well rename the Dark Elf Trilogy "The Diaries of an Overemotional Drow," because that is what it is.

But I find the one-drow genocide concept to be humerous. What other purpose do goblins and orcs serve besides to get slaughtered by Uber-Munchkins?

Drizzt needs to be sent to the Nine Hells for some therapy. If nothing else, to get rid of his wimpy emo outlook on life and show him that his suffering is nothing compared to that of some people's and he needs to stop complaining and feel lucky.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:17:36  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above - our 3 sentence summary of a group of several novels and a short story does make it sound a bit ridiculous. If you are a Drizzt fan, read the stories. The plots are actually better than we've made it sound. Since you said you've already quit with the series, though, I'm assuming you're not a big fan. If you want a bit more drawn out of an explanation, just ask, and perhaps we can accomodate with a bit less sarcasm :)
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horatio, if you're still interested in the "my people are evil, but I shall strive to be just and good!" premise, you could try Moorcock's Elric books. Elric himself starts off as rather gullible and more than a bit idiotic, sort of like Drizzt, but unlike Drizzt, his flaws come back to bite him in the backside. (Omg! Consequences and bad things happening to a main character!) Plus, the setting's a lot more imaginative, the "evil" of the evil race far more subtle and interesting, Elric himself a great deal more ambiguous and complex than Drizzt will ever be.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  17:37:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's cool it with the criticism, folks. I don't want to see this thread get closed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:07:17  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Let's cool it with the criticism, folks. I don't want to see this thread get closed.

It sounds like everybody hates this crying drow.
But hey, it seems that everybody read all books about him.
Great.
Go to Top of Page

mavericace
Seeker

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:34:23  Show Profile  Visit mavericace's Homepage Send mavericace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think people put to much into analizing the Drizzt books. They are what they are simple fantasy that simple folk like myself enjoy without having to worry about complex plots or intricate storylines. I can read a Drizzt book and not get a headache after a few hours and I find them enjoyable. As a reader what more can you ask for?
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't personally read all of them, but I'm glad that I haven't had to pay for most of the ones that I haveread, is all I can say.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:48:34  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I LOVE THE DRIZZT BOOKS... With that settled i would like to point out that every master has his flaws. You cant write in the area of 15 books about the same character without stepping on some peoples toes. The books are a strike of genious which i have read several times over the years, with great pleasure every time. The criticism of some aspects of the books are understandable enough, but the sequences they are describing are a drop in the ocean. The strengths of the books and the entertainment they deliver overshadows the tiny flaws they have to such a scale that it hardly is worth mentioning.

And a great "TOUCHE" to Lameth... Critical voice or not, something in the books have kept the interest of the reader through what have become the most famous saga of the realms.

If there are a list of Salvatore fans... SIGN ME UP

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:01:38  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I like all of the Drizzit books with the exceptions of Spine of the World and the Dark Elf Trilogy. So yes, I am a big salvatore fan.

if you are really enthusiastic about RAS's books, join LavanderEyes forum, they're a Drizzt fansite.

-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."

Edited by - FridayThe13th on 07 Aug 2006 19:02:18
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:03:44  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Moorcock is teh rox at the anti-hero shtick.

He practically invented it in fantasy literature.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:05:48  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Michael Moorcock is teh rox at the anti-hero shtick.

He practically invented it in fantasy literature.

Can you point me to some of his literature? he sounds interesting.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000