Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 SPOILERS(Blackstaff) Sell me on something Realmish
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  15:58:51  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well I've been gone since reading about the late Blackstaff's loss and Ed Greenwood's novel with Elaine Cunningham. Neither particularly impressed me though Waterdeep was a wonderful work for showing off the city (I just didn't care for the snotty noble leads) and the book was as enjoyable as could be for one where Khelban wasn't the star for his own end.

I haven't read the Everis Cale books, Rogue Dragons, the Demonfae books, or anything similar. I've also only read Salvatore's Enteri and Orc Invasion books aside from the above mentioned works recently. I used to be a huge Realms novel fan but haven't been keeping up in the past decade very well (not since the last of the Harper series)

So what's good right now guys if you're not too tired of answering this question?

Mod Edit: Let's try to remember that there are likely a few scribes who have yet to read Blackstaff. Thus, I've provided a SPOILER in the scroll's title.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jan 2007 23:32:26

Dremvek
Seeker

70 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  17:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Dremvek's Homepage Send Dremvek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd strongly recommend Erevis Cale - they seem to be nearly universal favorites. The other books I fully enjoyed as well, but had more of a mixed review on here.

I'd maybe change your first sentence though, as unmarked spoilers aren't real popular around here :)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  18:49:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, that really depends on what you like. If you like stories of

- the drow and Underdark I can only recommand the War of the Spider Queen series (6 books though)
- roughish stories I can recommand the Rouge series, all books staring other main characters, no connection between any of them. Personally I liked most Black Bouquett & Yellow Silk .
These are books I have read fairly recently and can recommand to you wholeheartely. Great read all of them. Erevis Cale books seem to be good as well from what I have heard. Haven't got around to read tehm myself yet.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  18:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rogues series and Cale sound intriguing but I'm divided since I rarely enjoy Thieves.

The last one I really liked was Malik.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  20:20:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

The Rogues series and Cale sound intriguing but I'm divided since I rarely enjoy Thieves.

The last one I really liked was Malik.

Now Malik surely was something! The whole book Prince of Lies: the Crucible was great indeed. However, it's of course up to you which books you read. However, I can only say again - the two books from the Rogue-series I mentioned - awesome work!

If you actually get around reading any of them let me know in the thread The Rogues Series in the FR Novels section.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Jan 2007 14:42:11
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  22:46:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading your comments on the City of Splendors thread, I retract my recommendation. You wouldn't like reading it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Jan 2007 22:50:11
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  23:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa, edit your topic post. There's a MAJOR spoiler for the Blackstaff in there. I was spoiled regarding that novel months back and it was no fun at all, or fair.

For your question--what do you mean by "Realmish"? Personally, I just finished Swords of Eveningstar, and I don't think it gets more "Realmish" than that book.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm inclined to check out the Rogues series at this point next. Youve got some good points here.

I haven't heard of Swords of Eveningstar. Is that the Knights of Myth Drannor novel?

I don't know much about that team since I never got to red the Ed Greenwood Avatar Trilogy novels with El. Are they interesting protagonists?

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Swords of Eveningstar feature the original (as in, getting their charter and starting out as adventurers) Knights, not the later lineup who appear in the Shadows of the Avatar trilogy (though Florin, Jhessail, etc. are an overlap).
It's a character-based novel, and they start out as low-power; given your comments about City of Splendors, I'm not sure you'd like it. But then, it's hilarious in places, has some fast action fights, and draws in a lot of "big guns" by the end of the book, though it stays focused on the low-level Knights.
I highly recommend it, but YMMV.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not against low power characters per say. After all, I'm not complaining about Frodo and Samwise in the Lord of the Rings or Bilbo Baggins. I *TEND* to enjoy the more iconic characters than the others but its not a hard and fast rule either. The City of Splendors problem was that the heroes didn't engage me more than their status as low powered nobodies that never did anything with their lives.

I'll have to check it out.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 04 Jan 2007 00:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:38:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does "iconic" status refer to besides what characters get marketed more heavily?

But anyway, I'm glad you're interested in checking out SoE.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  00:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take it as essentially meaning "Characters that are a distinct part of the fabric of the realms as opposed to being made up whole cloth for the story then never again referred to by supplement or book."

In the old days, it'd mean they'd have a Heroes of the Realms entry.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  01:36:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I take it as essentially meaning "Characters that are a distinct part of the fabric of the realms as opposed to being made up whole cloth for the story then never again referred to by supplement or book."

Hmm, like I mentioned in another recent thread, I personally feel that's confusing popularity in the real world with being "part of the Realms" in-setting.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  10:29:29  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well off that subject, I'm picking up Sword of the Eveningstar

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  14:45:54  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If that is the case you might not like the Rogue series very much, since all the starring characters are just created for one book of the series each. I really doubt to ever see any of them again! thought you might want to know for your future choices.......

Enjoy your read, Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 04 Jan 2007 14:47:32
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  14:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
following the continuing adventures of heroes is a favored hobby of mine I admit.

I admit, sometimes I *WISH* characters would only be one book (See the Planescape series)

But I'm definitely more a "Continuing adventures of Sadria of Tyr, Drizzt, and Arilyn" sort of fellow.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  17:36:05  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case you might be interested in the Sellswords Trilogy as well. It features both Artemis Entreri and Jarlaxle. IIRC it's first book is 'Servant of the Shard' (which means that book is both the 3rd book of the 'Path of Darkness'-quintette in the neverending storyline of Drizzt and Book 1 of the 'Sellswords' Trilogy). Books 2 & 3 are 'Road of the Patriach' and 'Promise of the Witch King'.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  18:39:50  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought Eveningstar. I'll review it here soon if anyone is interested.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  21:12:27  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I greatly recommend Erevis Cale books (plus Shadowbred), they're not thief novels.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  23:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

If that is the case you might not like the Rogue series very much, since all the starring characters are just created for one book of the series each. I really doubt to ever see any of them again! thought you might want to know for your future choices.......

Well, Tazi Uskevren, the star of Crimson Gold, was introduced in the Sembia series. But still, I have my doubts that she'll star in yet another novel.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  23:34:23  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Current plans are the Eveningstar book, Elminster's daughter (re-read), and then Everis Cale. Thanks everyone.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  16:50:44  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

Well, Tazi Uskevren, the star of Crimson Gold, was introduced in the Sembia series. But still, I have my doubts that she'll star in yet another novel.

Did she play a bigger part in those novels?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  23:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Tazi, like all the principal characters of the Sembia series, got her own book in said series (Sands of the Soul, a novel I didn't particularly care for), a short story in the Sembia anthology Halls of Stormweather, and a secondary role in the other Sembia books, each which of course star other family members.

Hope that helps.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2007 :  19:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I just read the first 8 chapters of the Eveningstar book.

If anyone is interested in my thoughts then they can go to the Book Club Forum. I just added my initial impressions there.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000