Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Archeology in the FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mekorig
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  03:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Mekorig's Homepage Send Mekorig a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Whit soo many ruins and fallen empires and cultures, have appeared in any published source an organization especialied in recovering the ancient knowledge for the only sake of recovering it instead of using it for power/money? Just for the knowlegde, like the monks in CAndlekeep?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  03:14:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baylee, from Lost Library of Cormanthyr, was an *archaeologist* of sorts.

The "Lorefinder" in Demihumans of the Realms passes for an "archaeologist" basis in FR also.

I don't recall any specifics on an archaeologist guild/organisation as you describe... certainly archaeology guilds have been mentioned in sources -- but with very little true details revealed.

This might be a question for Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mekorig
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  03:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Mekorig's Homepage Send Mekorig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ask because i am studing archeology in university, and i would love to play one. I remember a non-oficial kit for Greyhawk 2ed. The dustdigger. But nothing for 3.x .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  03:17:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it is... I'm working on an FR archaeology guild for the Candlekeep Compendium -- the "Forgotten Scroll". The first part was detailed in the CC Vol. 1. Installments are to follow.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  03:37:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my first thought here was Artus Cimbar in the Ring of Winter novel and the society of stalwart adventures, in Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  04:09:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shade Hunters in Champions of Ruin would make really good "Indiana Jones" style archeologists, if you didn't have to be evil. Perhaps if you played one, you could dig up the answer for why "any evil" is a requirement . . .

Olin Gisir could make for interesting "archeologist" type characters, looking for ancient ruins to see if any ancient evil is contained within, and making sure they stay that way, but its a little different mindset and the PrC is for elves.

Trapmaster is a good FEAT for an archeologist type obviously, and the Cultists of the Shattered Peak make for a good "Last Crusade" type order trying to keep the archeologist type from finding what they are looking for.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  05:28:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Shade Hunters in Champions of Ruin would make really good "Indiana Jones" style archeologists, if you didn't have to be evil. Perhaps if you played one, you could dig up the answer for why "any evil" is a requirement . . .

I'd simply chuck the evil requirement out the window. While I liked a lot of the PrCs in that one, I also felt that many of them were too tightly focused, and that the alignment/organization restrictions didn't make any sense.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mekorig
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  18:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Mekorig's Homepage Send Mekorig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Olin Gisir could make for interesting "archeologist" type characters, looking for ancient ruins to see if any ancient evil is contained within, and making sure they stay that way, but its a little different mindset and the PrC is for elves.

Trapmaster is a good FEAT for an archeologist type obviously, and the Cultists of the Shattered Peak make for a good "Last Crusade" type order trying to keep the archeologist type from finding what they are looking for.

i will check that PrC in CoR. The Olin Gisir is nice, but too elvish to me. I recall another feat from the Complete Adventurer IIRC. The Relic Hunter i think.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  22:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'd simply chuck the evil requirement out the window. While I liked a lot of the PrCs in that one, I also felt that many of them were too tightly focused, and that the alignment/organization restrictions didn't make any sense.

I agree. I never got why the Shade Hunter had to be evil, myself.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  11:40:39  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simple answer would be: They had to be evil to be included in a source book like CoR.

But otherwise, I could not see a good reason either. Just because they are suppose to be opportunistic treasure hunters? That can't be it......

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  11:48:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stumbled across another PrC that might be intersting regarding to archeology. In "Song and Silence" we have the Class "Temple Raider of Olidammara" (p.16) You might want to check that one out as well.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

D-brane
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2006 :  13:58:43  Show Profile  Visit D-brane's Homepage Send D-brane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As it is... I'm working on an FR archaeology guild for the Candlekeep Compendium -- the "Forgotten Scroll". The first part was detailed in the CC Vol. 1. Installments are to follow.

When are the installments to follow?

There's not really much to work with yet, based on what you've written about this "Forgotten Scroll" organisation so far.

When can we expect updates?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  17:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the introduction of the original (FOR) Draconomicon there is a number of scholars debating the orgins of the dragons, there may be stuff there that would help...

I also have seen a few prestige classes that may be of help, but from other d20 sourses

Kalin

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  09:29:22  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Darkness has a lot about the Shades and their archaeological efforts to uncover lost artifacts and lore of old Netheril. I believe there is an archaeological dig-site detailed as an adventure location in the book.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  18:04:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Lords of Darkness has a lot about the Shades and their archaeological efforts to uncover lost artifacts and lore of old Netheril. I believe there is an archaeological dig-site detailed as an adventure location in the book.

There is. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Aaron L
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  08:26:05  Show Profile  Visit Aaron L's Homepage Send Aaron L a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you think all the adventurers exploring ancient ruins are?

Just kidding... or am I?

"Sustenance is not frivolous."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:46:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D-brane

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

When are the installments to follow?

There's not really much to work with yet, based on what you've written about this "Forgotten Scroll" organisation so far.

When can we expect updates?

I'm getting to them.

With some of my recent free-time being taken up by my just-concluded holiday, and numerous other projects I've got set aside for Candlekeep... it's going to take time.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:46:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a few tidbits on archaeological activities around some of the sites listed in the sections for the North and Netheril in LEoF.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  13:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another PrC that could fit with a few modifications is the Loredelver from Races of Destiny (I may have the name incorrect. I'm 3000 miles from my books at the moment ). It is race specific for the Illuminati, but that can be chucked pretty easily, IIRC.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?

Edited by - Kes_Alanadel on 07 Jul 2006 13:22:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  15:04:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loredelver is correct .

They're essentially Illumian spellcasters... though aside from the class requirement for a Loredelver to be an Illumian, there really isn't a whole lot preventing this class being available to other races if that requirement is changed, or ignored completely.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  16:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage [:). Thought I had it right, but couldn't just get up and open the book like I normally do before posting .

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000