Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Names/Naming
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  16:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am preparing a murder/mystery adventure for my campaign and I am looking for more names/name-ideas.

Is there a list of some sort that has proper realmsian names? The FRCS doesn't give me enough as I plan to really roleplay the entire thing out and it will take a wagonload of NPC to populate Silverymoon, with watchmembers, mages, witnesses...

If anyone is interested in the script once it is finished I will post it here.

Cheers

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  16:53:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could download my 1e/2e NPC file. :) If you can't get a name out of those, what?, 10,000+ NPC's, then I dunno. :) The excel file is in my sig.

Otherewise, I use the Everchanging Book of Names and then the FR addon to get names. Do a search for Ebon on the net and it should come up.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Jun 2006 16:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  17:15:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never used the EBoN myself, but I know a lot of people like it... You can find it here.

Myself, I write down any name that comes to mind, even if I've no use for it, at the moment. Then, when I do find myself needing a name, I simply run down the list and see if anything grabs me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  01:00:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't used the EBoN myself either.

I mostly just draw PC and NPC names from a list that I continually add to every time I discover a word, name, or title that I think would make an interesting fantasy name.

I'm also a fan of the variant name-splicing technique that the Bookwyrm and I developed here long ago -- early 2003 as I recall -- which, like the original name-splicing technique, adds odd endings and/or beginnings to certain spliced names for the added effect of making them sound more original. It can be time consuming, and many a time you can end up with utter nonsense... but on occasion you come up with a truly unique and intriguing title.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2006 01:01:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000