Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Fugue Plain, Deals with Devils, and Undeath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  05:27:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One of my players has a character that is dedicated to Velsharoon, that he wanted to play as close to chaotic neutral as he could while still making him a True Necromancer. He portrayed him as a good person that just never seemed to be good at magic until he started to learn about necromancy, and his arcane studies never bore fruit until he learned to become a cleric of Velsharoon.

So while he worries about little children and beggars in the street, he also looks at corpses as potential experiments, and has no qualms about seeing someone that has wronged him as a potential "reanimation volunteer" for nastier forms of undead once he can produce them.

He has stated that he doesn't really like Velsharoon, but was raised in Vaasa, and sees his god as infinately better than Orcus, and credits Velsharoon with all of his successes that has had in his study of the Art and the Power.

So, naturally, as the most detailed and well role played character in the group, he is the one that gets killed in the fight with the Bodak.
He had shadow mask up, letting him act normally as if he had averted his gaze, and was super careful, as opposed to the drow fighter, who literally stared the bodak in the face for four rounds. In the end, he rolled horribly three times in a row, so badly that his action points did nothing to mitigate the problem.

So when he died, I roleplayed a scene with him on the Fugue Plain, and gave him a chance to make a deal with a devil to come back, since the party is neutral/evil in alignment, and while they kind of like the character, have no desire to risk their necks to have him resurrected.

So, he makes the deal in exchange for his soul and three tasks to be named at the time of his infernal "master's" choosing (Belial, for the record, but the bargain was brokered through an Erinyes that hangs out on the Fugue Plain as per the deal with Kelemvor).

I'm still running with this story, one way or the other, but it occurs to me that if the charcter was going to come back as a Bodak, his soul may never have gone to the Fugue Plain, but rather just hung around his body for 24 hours.

So, what I was wondering is:

1) Would someone destined for Undeath even enter the Fugue Plain, even breifly?

2) What kinds of things would Belial likely want a worshipper of Velsharoon to do for him? I picked him mainly because he has an interest in corruption, secrets, and deceptions, and because he was deposed and has a drive to recruit some faithful agents that might be part of other organizations (such as Velsharoon church).

Any thoughts?

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  06:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cannonly the deal with the devil only effects which plane he goes to when he dies.

However if your going to use DM Rule Zero then thats fine

If Belial raises him from the dead before the 24 hours are up then he doesnt return as a Bodak

As for what Belial may ask of the characters....

According to the BOVD Belial/Fierna are currently Lord/Lady of the 4th layer

Belial is patron of Domination, Secrets, Trickery and seduction

His interests clash with Bane (Tyranny/Domination) Shar (Secrets) Sharess (Seduction) Seeing as hes a Devil he probably doesnt get on well with Demon Lords like Orcus (Who the character has a slight history with)

He also may not get on with Gargauth and Malkizid

He also has a number of Arch Devil rivials as stated in the BOVD

You should give Belial an FR history he could be the Master of the Pit Fiend who ruled along side Fzoul in Zhentil Keep until Fzoul killed him. The Gate beneath Dragonspear castle may lead to his layer of Hell. Nyphithys (See Arcane Brotherhood) could be one of his servants etc

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 11 Jun 2006 06:31:13
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  06:32:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, the Nyphithys angle I didn't even think of . . . the other wizard in the group is a diviner that is a member of the Arcane Brotherhood . . . something to cogitate upon . . . thanks Dargoth.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  06:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know, the Nyphithys angle I didn't even think of . . . the other wizard in the group is a diviner that is a member of the Arcane Brotherhood . . . something to cogitate upon . . . thanks Dargoth.

In the next campaign Im running Ive tied Nyphithys pre-Arcane brotherhood history to Dragonspear castle

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  12:56:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, the character sounds very interesting. You might be interested in downloading the Hollowfaust, City of Necromancers, book from Sword & Sorcery. Its free from drive-thru rpg and its a somewhat similar take on a city of neutral necromancers. Might give some ideas. For instance, many of them have "flensing drakes" as familiars, which are basically small dragons who will eat away the meat on a corpse. Why do this? Because dead flesh becomes infected and spreads disease, therefore this city favors skeletal guardians over zombies and such.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000