Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Morbryn's Sheild
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purple Dragon
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  02:04:09  Show Profile  Visit Purple Dragon's Homepage Send Purple Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a question regarding the hamlet Morbyrn's Shield. In the 2edtion books (Volo's Guide to the North)the hamlet is situated at the confluence of the Laughinflow and the River Surbrin. However, in the 3edition (Silver Marches) the Hamlet is west of its origninal location and is situated within the Surbrin Hills. Anybody know what is the "official" location of this hamlet?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  02:07:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon

I have a question regarding the hamlet Morbyrn's Shield. In the 2edtion books (Volo's Guide to the North)the hamlet is situated at the confluence of the Laughinflow and the River Surbrin. However, in the 3edition (Silver Marches) the Hamlet is west of its origninal location and is situated within the Surbrin Hills. Anybody know what is the "official" location of this hamlet?

3e's would be now since, and I'm surprised that you haven't heard about this before now, WOTC changed the world maps and the local maps. They had articles in the early 2k's about it in Dragon and also on thier web page....

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/20010503

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Jun 2006 02:16:48
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  21:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself am still amazed when I compare my 2e map to my 3.5e map of Faerun. I think it was for the better though.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  21:47:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I myself am still amazed when I compare my 2e map to my 3.5e map of Faerun. I think it was for the better though.

I don't, which is why I use my 2e maps and snicker/cry at the changes in the new ones.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  00:55:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I've ever properly referenced any 3e FR maps for a campaign -- it's always been the 1e/2e maps I've used.

I've made one 3e map exception though -- the map of the Border Kingdoms region in PoF. Aside from the map included in the Ed's original POLYHEDRON articles... this is the best map for the region I have found.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  02:59:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3ed maps are the official, but I would suggest you stick to the 2ed. maps if you got them and are used to them. Then again, I am a bit on the conservative side when it comes to the Realms, so you must take my advise with a grain of salt.

Of all the changes they did for the 3ed. the maps is the one I have the greatest difficulty with. Not only do I find the map design poorer than many of the older ones, but the inconsistencies and the (in my opinion) arrogant decision to cut away all the "unnecessary" areas leave a bad taste in my mouth. I see the point of the Evermeet argument, but that could have been solved in other ways than the moving of the Island itself.

I think in fact, that the trade map in the Campaign setting is the only 3ed. map I have really used.

Any person should count themselves lucky if owning Wynstead Atlas, I cant remember using many of the other maps after getting the atlas except the land-elevation maps in The Lands of Intrigue or detail maps such as those in the Volo guides.

Sorry for the ranting, I just needed to get that of my chest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000