Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Help with my character
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  20:52:58  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if you guys could help with what classes to actually make this character.Here is some background on him

He is elven male from Evermeet whose father was a sun elf bladesinger of some skill (killed in the attack on Evermeet)and his mother is a half-star elf mage. Whom after her husbands death started to travel the planes and is rumored now to be in Sigil. He has both the aptitude to become a force with blades or magic and has been trained in both by his parents. He fought against the Phaerimm (sp?) in the defence of Evereska and has spent time helping the Yuirwood star elves in their fights against the Nilshai.

After seeing how much damage magic can do. He has devoted himself to nullifying those people who use magic (in his mind) for destructive purposes.

Now what I am looking for is opinions to be an effective mage-killer on whether to go mostly the arcane route or the martial route or a mix of the two. Also if there is any interest I will post his entire background
Thanks In Advance

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:03:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about the mage killer prestige class in Magic of Faerun.......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:19:59  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for nitpicking, but I don't think there are star-elves in Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:29:43  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about that class Kuje right after I posted.Your right Mr. Odom they are not any starelves that I know of living in Evermeet. His parents met while adventuring which I will probably detail in his background when I finally finish it :)

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:33:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Sorry for nitpicking, but I don't think there are star-elves in Evermeet.

Err the husband could have sponsored his Srar- Elf wife to live at Evermeet and it was permitted for as long as he lived. The child clearly can have been born under this theory on Evermeet. As far as it goes Ed appears to have no objection to DMs making alterations to what is canon. Star elves are new, AFAIK, and not covered in at least older materials by that name. However canon has indicated that only one sub-elven race was banned from Evermeet (the Drow) and even there there was an exception reported.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 01 Jun 2006 22:44:14
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  21:49:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think its a matter of Star Elves being banned, but according to the Last Mythal books, Araevin, who lived most of his life on Evermeet, didn't know what a Star Elf was. So its not likely that many live there, though one or two might.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  22:27:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

How about the mage killer prestige class in Magic of Faerun.......

Err the husband could have sponsored his Srar- Elf wife to live at Evermeet and it was permitted for as long as he lived. The child clearly can have been born under this theory on Evermeet. As far as it goes Ed appears to have no objection to DMs making alterations to what is canon. Star elves are new, AFAIK, and not covered in at least older materials by that name. However canon has indicated that only one sub-elven race was banned from Evermeet (the Drow) and even there there was an exception reported.

Okay,

But why did you post that to me? RodOdom is the one that said no star elves on Evermeet, not I. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  22:42:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Okay,

But why did you post that to me? RodOdom is the one that said no star elves on Evermeet, not I. :)

Err the quote buttons were too close?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  02:12:52  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*SPOILERS for the Last Mythal series*

In The Farthest Reach, star elves are revealed to be unheard of to the main characters, who are from Evermeet.
Go to Top of Page

Vainelus
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  02:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Vainelus's Homepage Send Vainelus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your training is pretty much word for word the description of how a duskblade should be trained the new core class from PHBII. Also that will allow you to be skilled at both martial and magicial combat, however the Duskblade is not particularly effective at killing wizards, but they are not bad at it either.

The Knight of the weave PrC also kind of fits you background information fairly well from CoV. Again it allows for a decent combination of martial and magical power. Mage-killer is one of the best PrCs out there if the goal is just killing wizards, but you are going to find that you lack much martial prowess as a Mage-killer.

I would like to read the rest of your background, it sounds fairly interesting. I think the best reflection of your characters training from both your mother and father is some kind of fighter/mage.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  19:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are planning on Nullifying wizards rather than killing wizards, focus on conterspelling and abjuration. A character will be able to nullify wizards without necessarily killing them.

Just a thought.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  16:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, You have a good point Fletcher. I hadn't thought of it that way. You bring up a intrigueing concept. Although as I have started to write the background I have begun to see him as very embittered young elf. He is becoming disullusioned with what he sees as abuse of magic. He is also beginning to question the human race's right to wield the Art. Which is ironic because his mother is a half-elf. But the background can go either way. Depending on when the dm finally decides on whether we are playing a good or evil campaign or a mixture of the two.

Thanks again to all

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  18:30:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladedancer

Hmm, You have a good point Fletcher. I hadn't thought of it that way. You bring up a intrigueing concept. Although as I have started to write the background I have begun to see him as very embittered young elf. He is becoming disullusioned with what he sees as abuse of magic. He is also beginning to question the human race's right to wield the Art. Which is ironic because his mother is a half-elf. But the background can go either way. Depending on when the dm finally decides on whether we are playing a good or evil campaign or a mixture of the two.

Thanks again to all

Maybe the Eldraeth Vil (Not gonna spell that rest of that name), you know that elf supremecy group, is interested in him them. :) More about them can be found in Cloak & Dagger and Lords of Darkness.

Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  18:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for another great option Kuje. It seems our dm has finally has set the rules and tone for this campaign. As far as alignments go they are wide open. It seem our group will be a planar mercenary group based out of mainly out of Waterdeep and to some extent Sigil (of course). So this will definetly change some of the background I had written so far. But I hope to have it done the end of the week. Which I plan and posting it on the boards for anyone interested in reading it.
Thanks again for all the help so far

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page