Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Scribes' Field Reports: Red Wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  01:51:01  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As with the other field report threads that I have started, what I want to see in this thread, if you would be so kind, are encounters with the given power group, and how they have been used in your campaign.

The point is to give those that are new to running the Realms some ideas on how to use these power groups in a campaign, and to help those that have already used power groups in their campaigns some ideas if they develop "DM's block."

That having been said, lets get some field reports about either your encounters as PCs with Red Wizard NPCs and villians, or if you are a DM, how you have used Red Wizards as villains or NPCs in your campaign.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  02:04:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My way of using Red Wizards has changed over the years, with the change in emphasis in how they have been portrayed in the Forgotten Realms.

In my early campaigns, years ago, the Red Wizards were one of the first groups that inspired me to come up with "rival adventurers" as villains/NPCs. Red Wizards can be autonomous enough that they might be wandering Faerun, looking for magic, travelling with (at the time) apprentices, clerics of Kossuth, and gnolls (since Dreams of the Red Wizards really stressed how gnolls are used in Thay).

Often times, the "Red Wizards as rivals" worked a lot like the Belloq/Indiana Jones thing worked in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The PCs would have to find in item lost in A, they would explore A and recover the item, the Red Wizards would be waiting and would take A away, and the PCs would have to track down the Red Wizard and his party and take A back to get back to their original plot.

In my "Sailing the Sword Coast" campaign, they worked a little more straightforward, as the PCs ran into Thayan slaving ships in various places, especially since the lead wizard on the slaving ship they ran into would shift the gate from one body of water to another. It let me use bombards on my PCs and scare the poodoo out of them. In this case, they were just used as recurring "oh crap, its the Thayans with the cannons. We either need to run or we need to kill them before they teleport this time."

Finally, in my most recent campaign, the Thayans actually got to be fairly calm and rational, and got to act like merchants. In Scardale Town, they were the most logical, safe group to be around, and they dealt with the PCs in a fairly honest and straightforward manner.

The other major Thayan encounter was in Tilverton, before the incident, the Red Wizard ambassador appraoched the cleric of Helm, who was begining to be well regarded due to clearing the trade road between Tilverton and Mistledale from the Grodd goblins that had it locked down. The cleric did a fairly good job of negotiating with the ambassador about what they should go to the government with as far as demands and terms should be for Tilverton to accept them, and they left on good terms, although this was only months before Tilverton "went away."

Quite honestly a pretty versatile group to use, and a lot of fun.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  19:34:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I first created Sleyvas as an NPC who became an arch-villain to my current group at that time. He was a dual classed fighter/mage red wizard leading a party of treasure seekers who got sucked into Ravenloft with my players, in an area of Ravenloft where Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul all three shared a territory and had to exist in avatar form (yes, this was kind of hokey). All three avatars believed they needed to kill the other off in order to escape from Ravenloft, and Sleyvas ended up being a right hand for Bane until he eventually escaped.
Next, I had a short campaign where I again used Sleyvas (this time, I had him as a younger version). In this version, I had him as a red wizard who was coercing a rebellious knight of Impiltur into taking over the city of King's Reach. It was just following the ToT, and Sleyvas was leading one of the first battalions of blunderbussers and arquebussers. I figured being a red wizard, their country had already had experience with explosives (i.e. bombards were pre-ToT). In later years, I would make this "instance" of Sleyvas actually into a clone experiment somewhat similar to Alias.
With another group I had some red wizards seeking to control sea trade in an area. I didn't have ship mounted bombards, rather I showed how effective area effect spells and personal transportive magics could make several wizards able to decimate fleets (basically, the wizards were buffing up with fly and some protections, teleporting near an enemy ship with a teleport spell that would send them out for a few rounds then transport them back after they've assaulted the ship with several fireballs or snowball swarms (snowball swarms used to have a huge area of effect, but little dmg... great for taking out 1st and 2nd lvl sailors without destroying the ship). Although my players had no idea of the history, my own private in was that one of the red wizard captains was another clone-child of Sleyvas. Its also when I developed a Shou water elementalist named Tiiushi the Sea Queen who had captured "the ship of the gods" from Untheric myth.
I then ran a campaign that was basically a "lets play high level evil characters". It was short, but it included a lot of role-playing (and a lot of player death from both PC's and encounters). Out of that I got several other of my Thayan NPC's/PC's (Daeronness Shenandra Tarsorek of Talos, Tallus the Black, etc...). That was very fun and I really like this kind of political campaign, problem comes in when the players just can't keep up with what's going on.
My latest bent on things revolved around the idea that one of the first enclaves was started in the city of Praka in Damara. This was prior to Velsharoon's rise as a deity, and I basically got the players involved because they happened across an item that Velsharoon's spies (who ran the enclave) were looking for. They took it from the players, along with some of the player's most treasured items (which they turned around and used to arm enclave members and/or sold in the enclave bazaar). The item was the phylactery of Mellifleur and even the Zulkirs didn't know that the people running this enclave were in the pocket of Velsharoon (an enemy of the state), because the leader of the enclave himself thought Velsharoon was someone else (necromantic face stealing magic is wonderful). Anyway, that campaign is still ongoing (albeit, we've taken a short break from it due to Hurricane Katrina).
Those are the various ways I can think of that I've used red wizards in a campaign. I don't like how the new red wizards are "built", because I can't develop as much of a variety of different red wizards. Thus, in my campaign now, some red wizards don't even have levels in the prestige class. However, my house rule is that if you have tattoo focus you MUST serve in a circle to a red wizard who can draw upon a circle. It doesn't matter if you're a 20th lvl wizard with levels in eldritch knight, mystic theurge, etc.... if you have tattoo focus, you are required by Thayan law to serve your circle duty to the person who tattooed you (or whomever he offers you to in trade). In return, these "non-red wizards" are allowed to wear red robes and given almost the same deference by the common man (of course, they have to role in the government, except that which they can gain my bankrolling actual red wizards to put forth their guild's agenda, etc....).

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  22:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had the Thayans using the draw of magical items to lure various merchants of Sembia into trade deals with various Thayan groups. These merchants then used their own influence to attempt to garner more trade holds for the Thayans. When that wasn't possible they opened up a front for Thayan merchandise.

I have also had the Thayans link up with the Cult of the Dragon to insure that the Cult was irritating the proper enemies of the Thayans.

When dealing in cities i try to have the Thayans as above the table as possible, so that the players are constantly frustrated by how much the Thayans are model citizens. One particular group in Saerloon went about setting up advantageous marraiges and business deals that made many people happy. They helped clean out particularly dangerous areas in the vicinity, and sponsored several very popular members of the city council over the course of 10 years. I have even gone so far as to have a Thayan fleet hammer the Pirates for six months to improve the safety of the trade routes for their goods.
All of this is of course in long range planning of gaining power in the area. This group of Thayans in Saerloon recently purchased a majority share in trading company.

I also formed an elite hit squad of powerful Thayan adventurers under the direct command of Szass Tam. They are extremely powerful and extremely successful in eliminating particular threats to Szass Tam.
The leader is Yetzul (Death Knight Fighter 17)
Nevyl Black (Cleric of Cyric 10/Templar 5)
Marrow Ellensayle (Druid 12/Vile Polluter 5)
Fellanell Starbright (Necromancer 9 Red Wizard 5)
Olan Mar (Rogue 7/ Assassin 4)
Shard (WarMage 13, Archmage 5)
Italis Weshoo (Cleric 12 Loremaster 3)
Jorngold Blademaster (Fighter 10 Weaponsmaster 2)
Wyshar Longblade (fighter12 Weaponsmaster 6)
Crum D'Chen (Fighter 11)

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  21:46:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd felt like doing something to layout the various groups within Thay... just for fun and to remind the old brain. This might be of use to some. In particular, I think you'll like my takes on the society of the dread necromancers, Font of discovery, and the order of the battle-magus

Church of Kossuth- One of the strongest churches within Thay, primarily due to the fact that he requires few obeisances in his name. Kossuth’s was one of the leading religions prior to the time of troubles, and with the absence of Myrkul and his subsequent actions in the salamander war, Kossuth has become the primary church within Thay. Every major community sports a temple to Kossuth. Beloved by the people for their willingness to bring order to their community in the face of the chaotic rule of the red wizards, the fire lord’s priest enjoy an unprecedented level of support compared to anywhere else in Faerun.

Order of the Firedrake – This militant order of knights is quite possibly the closest thing Thay has to a noble order of knights. Of course, they are by no means paladinic, but they do serve as a military order of the church which supports the common folk of Thay. Also, unlike other militant groups in Thay, members of the Order of the Firedrake tend to be more inclined to lawful natures. Being able to trust the word of an authority figure in Thay is rare enough in Thay that most commoners consider the order of the firedrake to be on par with paladinic orders they’ve heard of in tavern tales.

Order of the Black Flame – If the order of the Firedrake is the good face of the church of Kossuth, the order of the black flame is their hidden dark soul. Numbering less than a score of individuals who report to the upper echelon of the church of Kossuth, these assassins serve to reprimand those who insult the Church of Kossuth. Unfortunately for those red wizards with less sense than bravado, the order of the black flame has served to keep Kossuth’s clergy in power over the millennia.

Church of Velsharoon – Velsharoon enjoys a rather unique status amongst the people of Thay. As lord of necromantic magic, he should enjoy unprecedented numbers of followers amongst the Thayans as a natural replacement for the loss of Myrkul. The fact that when he was human he was one of the original red wizards who helped free Thay from Mulhorand should only aid his cause. However, Velsharoon turned renegade when he refused to recognize the Tam family as the sole power of necromancy within Thay. In fact, Velsharoon was against the entire idea of the leaders of schools of magic ruling the nation as a council. Thus, with Velsharoon ascended to godhood, Szass Tam finds himself in the rather unique position of either admitting to his family having been the wrong choice to be chosen as Zulkir…. Or proposing the worship of another deity. This poses a bit of a problem for the Zulkir, for there aren’t exactly a large number of other choices. Orcus is little more than a demon, and therefore is not worthy of a true Thayan’s worship. Set and Kiaransalee are deities from enemy pantheons. Shar seeks to convert and control her worshippers such that they become her tool. Jergal seems the only other recourse, though as a deity he serves Kelemvor, who seeks to destroy undead. In the end, it seems that Velsharoon will become a predominant deity of Thay, but he and his clergy must tread their steps carefully lest the political issues surrounding their god cause further duress. In an attempt to garner further support, Velsharoon’s priests are attempting to gather many of the relics of Myrkul’s clergy to give the lay worshippers symbols from the past to reaffirm his worship in the present.

Church of Bane – Bane’s return is quite possibly one of the more enthusiastic upturns in religious turnout that Thay has seen in some time. Several militant orders, including the legion of Black Unicorn riders, are sponsored by this temple. Bane’s clergy have strong ties to the expansionist party, particularly Zulkir Lauzoril and the school of enchantment.

Churches of Grumbar, Akadi, and Istishia – The Churches of Grumbar and Akadi while of opposing natures, often find themselves serving the same basic purposes within Thay. Grumbar’s worshippers enrich the soil of vast tracts of farmland, while Akadi’s worshippers water the lands by controlling the atmosphere. Due to Kossuth’s strong influence, temples to Istishia are typically only found in the coastal cities where sailors are more prevalent and the fire lord’s servants are less likely to try and hinder them.

Society of Dread Necromancers – Not all members of the Thayan nobility have the intellect for wizardry, nor necessarily the wisdom or devotion to become priests. However, some have the presence of personality to pursue other devotions. Given their nation’s preoccupation with necromancy, it should come as no surprise that many nobles seek the dark mysteries of the dread necromancer (see Heroes of Horror) over the arts of the bard and sorcerer. Prior to the time of troubles, this society was strongly ensconced as an arm of the Church of Myrkul. However, following the time of troubles and Kelemvor’s rise as lord of the dead, this society has become somewhat split. Most worship Velsharoon the Vaunted, for as the lord of necromantic magics he is the most obvious choice. After all, Velsharoon was even a red wizard involved in the freeing of Thay from the yoke of Mulhorand’s rulership. The fact that he turned renegade because he was not given the Zulkirship, say some quietly, only goes to prove that perhaps the current method of rulership is indeed flawed. However, some members of this society have begun sacrificing to the demon lord Orcus. Some others, particularly those of Rashemi blood, have begun worshipping Set (as an enemy of Mulhorand and the Mulan people, they see Set as a means of advancing themselves). Finally, a few others have embraced the dark goddess Shar and the shadow weave, seeing it as a means to enhance their dark necromantic skills. Due to the fact that the Society itself is still an arcane order, these splits in religious ethos have not as yet caused much of a scuffle to occur. However it does not take much effort to see that this will not remain the case for long.
As a political machine, this society provides Thay with teams that can manage large numbers of basic undead. While the wizards of the school of necromancy can animate such undead, they cannot provide large numbers of lesser individuals who can keep such creatures in check. These undead can be used in military conflicts, but more often than not they are used as field workers on farms performing the heavier lifting and carrying duties that would quite frankly wear out slaves. Thus, it is not unusual to see a field of workers picking fruits and vegetables and placing them in crates being gathered and run to wagons by skeletons. Similarly, the heavy plowing and tilling of the raw earth is often handled by dread necromancers overseeing work gangs, while the slaves perform the lighter work of deweeding. Of course, this does not mean that the lives of slaves are easy, only that when it comes to large stretches of heavy work
Naturally, the society of dread necromancers competes with many temples in order to provide their services to the Thayan farming, mining, and other communities. What makes them so successful at it is quite simply that they are simply doing it for profit and not to serve some deity’s cause. As a result, many overseers (whether it be farm, mine, foundry work, dockworkers, warehousemen, etc…) have no qualms with turning over the bodies of their slaves who have died to the necromancers. In their minds, at least the bodies will be put to either defense or mercantile purposes, unlike those that go to temples which end up serving a deity’s whim.

Font of Discovery – Originally tied to the Researchers faction, this small guild has grown considerably in the last few years. Comprised primarily of archivists (see Heroes of Horror), many of whom eventually seek the path of the mystic theurge, this group is building strong links within the Guild of Foreign Trade and already holds strong ties to the members of the school of divination (though they do feel doublecrossed by Zulkir Yaphyll’s turning of her back on the researcher’s party). The reason for this is that archivists are able to learn and scribe any divine spell which they can acquire in written form. In doing so, these archivists are able to scribe spells which are not normally available to Thayan priests (such as druid spells, paladin spells, ranger spells, and even specialized domain spells… such as the Azuthian “anyspell”). Members of the Font of Discovery are all members of the Church of Deneir or Oghma, but they must swear fealty to country first and church second before they will ever be trained. By doing so, the members hope to keep the mystery of their art secret while they delve deeper into its capabilities. A few members have tried to defect, only to end up dead, although it is rumored that they were unable to find the chapbook of one such defector who was found hiding in a woodsman’s cottage in Impiltur.

Assassin’s Guild(s) – Most cities have at least one of these. Most consist of less than a dozen individuals, and their members are constantly changing. The only city of significant difference is Bezantur, which sports a unified guild consisting of more than a hundred individuals. While most individuals in these guilds are rogues, it is not unusual to find wizards, priests, and warriors performing as killers for hire.

Confederacy of the Battle-magus – This small grouping of wizards was started within the 2 generations of wizards. Initially they faced stringent opposition from their fellow red wizards, who saw this group as a possible threat to their power structure. However, the initial experiment involved the creation of a legion of warmages (see complete arcane). It was only due to the influence of the Zulkir of Invocation at the time, who saw the warmages as another arm of his school, utilizing individuals in the nobility who are unsuited to the intellectual strictures of wizardry. Of course, the zulkir also felt that this could help draw some individuals away from the Society of Dread Necromancers as well, and thereby weaken the stance somewhat of Szass Tam. A few years later, one of their members discovered the skills of the hexblade while studying some ancient texts of Narfell. It wasn’t until 1350 D.R. that Flarik Calroegen, a powerful invoker working as a liason with the confederacy, began studying ancient texts of Raumathar and their battlemages. Secretly, he began training himself in the arts of the eldritch knight, the spellsword, and the Raumathari battlemage. He even began training his own apprentices in these arts, and by the time of troubles and the salamander war they had advanced to the point that they proved a valuable asset on the battlefield. Unfortunately, during the salamander war, Aznar Thrul treated members of the confederacy as more or less fodder to protect his own troops, and with his following ascension to the rank of Zulkir, there is some tension between the school of invocation’s upper echelon and the leaders of the Confederacy.

Apothecary Society – While the enclaves have brought in vast amounts of monetary income through the sale of magic items, it should be noted that a sizable portion of that income has come from more mundane sources. For instance, while many alchemists now know the formulae for creating smokepowder, it was Thay which originated the discovery. Most of the smokepowder that can be found for sale actually originates in Thayan laboratories, as they acquire tons of the raw materials for cheap. Also, Thayan alchemists have long mastered the creation of rare and powerful poisons. With their enclaves willing to buy all kinds of body parts of rare beasts, they now find themselves with ready access to things that previously might have been more costly to acquire. This gives the apothecary society a bit of pull with the Guild of Foreign Trade.

The various schools of magic

Slaver’s Guild – collects money like the IRS to serve the government. Includes all kinds of slaves, including constructs.

Gladiator’s Guild – close ties to the school of transmutation, who often provide

Church of Talos- in the aspect of Malyk, lord of wild and destructive magics, Talos has garnered a large amount of support from the schools of transmutation and evocation. Thayans understand that not all destruction is volcanos erupting to cover cities or raging thunderstorms. Sometimes destruction is delivered by man in the form of a disintegration spell cast at the keystone holding up a fortress wall, or using fire magics to set a meeting hall ablaze.

Church of Shar – The church of Shar has set upon the goal of converting many red wizards to using the shadow weave. She has had some success amongst the schools of enchantment, illusion, and necromancy. However, most Thayans still recall the lessons of their forefathers who were tied by the strictures of the Mulhorandi religion. As a result, the mulan wizards are less inclined to embrace the goddess of darkness and her hidden system of magic.

Church of Umberlee- Umberlee’s worship is based largely in the city of Bezantur and the island of the Alaor. Umberlee’s followers typically try to stay out of political landscape of Thay, preferring instead to quietly acquire their profits and use them as they see fit.

Church of Talona – Talona’s worship is stronger in Thay than most other places in Faerun, for it is here that using poison is seen as a common practice upon one’s enemies. Of course, one’s enemies should exist outside of Thay, or so the saying goes. However, Talonites make a lucrative business selling vermin poisons to the folk of Thay through the various apothecary shops spread throughout Thay. Talona’s temples can be found in Bezantur and Eltabbar, but several apothecary shops in some of the smaller towns contain private shrines to the goddess and/or are manned by Talonite priests. What political clout the Talonite priests are able to pull is primarily due to their involvement with the various apothecary & alchemy guilds found in the various cities of Thay.

Church of Mask – Mask’s worship is strong only within the city of Bezantur, where its ties to the Bezantur thieve’s guild are well known.

Church of Gond – Surprisingly to many outside Thay, the church of Gond has a strong following amongst the Thayans. The free people of Thay are often craftsmen, producing the master crafts that are needed by their arcane masters for sale in the enclaves. By producing these crafts at home, the profits for crafting such stay in their homeland. This realization also comes with the realization that many Thayan craftsman use minor magic items to increase their productivity by enhancing the skills of the bearer. Of course, the buying of these minor magic items often indebts the craftsman to the enclave which provided it, requiring several years of producing items for said enclave until such magic is paid off.

Lesser Power groups of Thay

Church of the Red Knight – This faction of the church of Tempus has begun to gain ground

Church of Tempus-

Cult of Set – Seen as an enemy of Mulhorand and the mulan people, Set has a small following amongst the Rashemi people of Thay. Of course, these cultists still must tread carefully around the ruling red wizards, who do not take kindly to any religious sect of Mulhorand making headway in their country…. Even one which opposes the God-Kings and would gladly see them dead.

Cult of Orcus – As the demon lord of the undead, some red wizards seek him as a pathway to power. However, their arrogance prevents most Thayans from worshipping a simple demon lord. In fact, many wonder what it would take to strip Orcus of his portfolio that they might attain power themselves.

The Orcish Pantheon –While religion is not overly discouraged, the orcs of Thay have less of a tribal structure than most other orcs. As a result, they have lost much of their cultural identity that they would have in the wilds. Many orcs are raised from birth in a more or less martial environment which encourages them to develop their physical skills over their metaphysical. Also, due to the influences of their human leaders, many of those orcs who do display a religious bent as often as not find themselves serving a human deity. Because of this, even though Thay possesses a large number of orcs, the orcish pantheon has very little influence over its people, and any “temples” are more often than not simply rooms set aside as part of a barracks.

Church of Yeenoghu – The gnolls of Thay have continued to worship Yeenoghu, for they do not slavishly serve the red wizards as their orc counterparts do. Gnolls still live as freemen of sorts, but only at the whim of their red wizard masters. As a result, the church of Yeenoghu does have some pull within Thay, but it must watch carefully how it uses its power so as to not draw down the wrath of the red wizards

Church of Chauntea- Very few of the vast farmlands of Thay are actually owned by the common people. The land itself is primarily owned by the red wizards and their noble families. The land is farmed not by tenant farmers, but rather by slaves and work crews of undead. However, most farms have overseers who are freemen, and these overseers are judged by the amount of harvest they produce. As such, these overseers are often fervent worshippers of Chauntea. However, their masters do not like relying on the whims of a deity, and thus these overseers find themselves working with either the followers of the elemental lords to make the earth fallow or bring refreshing rains. As a result, there are few established temples to Chauntea in Thay, but it is not unusual to find traveling clergy of Chauntea traveling the countryside unhindered, moving from farm to farm

Church of Ilmater – Ilmater’s clergy are often active in Thay, however due to their willingness to help slaves escape, they have been forced to try and hide their true allegiances. Still, it is not unusual to find a captured Ilmatari upon the slave block, a fact that the followers of Loviatar have come to openly love.

Churches of Oghma and Deneir – long given lip service by the red wizards of Thay, especially the researchers faction, these two churches have seen a recent rise in membership as one of their members, a wizard interested in Deneirian studies, discovered the art of the archivist. Unfortunately for the rest of Toril, this individual also trained several young acolytes in the art, but only those who would swear their fealty to country first and church second. As a result, the archivists have formed themselves as a separate order from the church, known as the font of discovery.

The Churches of Beshaba, Gargauth the outcast, Hoar the doombringer, Cyric, Garagos, Auril, Malar, and other such evil deities all have followings within Thay. However, with the exception of Cyric, none have ever been overly large.

Church of Skerritt the Forester – centaurs – mainly worshipped by commoner centaurs, but many centaurs are becoming more civilized and as a result have begun to worship deities of the standard Faerunian pantheon such as Tempus and Shaundakul.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000