Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Scribes' Field Report: Eldreth Veluuthra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  02:11:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The purpose of the "Scribes Field Reports" threads are for you, my fellow scribes at Candlekeep, to post your stories of how various power groups have been used in your campaign, or if you are a player, how have you encountered the various power groups of the Realms?

This ideally will help those that haven't used these power groups before in their campaigns so that they might see how others have used them, and it will also help to inspire those that have used them to view and used said power groups in ways that they have not had a chance to before.

This particular thread is dedicated to the villainy of the Eldreth Veluuthra, the Victorious Sword of the People.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  02:21:47  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only had the chance to use the Eldreth Veluuthra in my most recent campaign, but they had a lot of potential, and it seemed to work out great.

The PCs in my campaign had from time to time run into drow from House Jaelre, either as bandits, or in once case as a kidnapper that stole Haresk Malorn's daughter in Ashabenford. They had been hearing rumors for some time about an increase in their hostility, which was only fed after they talked to Lord Ilmeth in Battledale during Shieldmeet in 1372 DR.

The PCs went to visit Stumphill, a halfling settlement in western Mistledale (where Jak Fleet from the Erevis Cale books is from), to visit their friend there. The PCs found the entire village slaughtered. There were a few drow bodies lying in the village as well.

The PCs were suspicious, as they didn't think that it looked quite right. Upon speaking with one of the dead drow, they found out that the drow were not slain by halflings, but by surface elves.

Eventually the PCs ran into a group of surface elves, a mixed group of moon and wood elves, who said that they had been searching for a band of dark elven raiders. They also said that they were only newly returned from Evermeet themselves, and appalled at the state of Cormanthor, including the rampant drow raiding bands.

The PCs managed to hold onto a scroll that the elven leader had, and they used it to scry on the band of elves. They found out that the elves had actually slaughtered the halfings in Stumphill as interlopers, and framed the dark elves that they had recently slaughtered for the crime. Dispite this, the drow actually were looking for an old elven artifact, and the PCs felt even more compelled to find the artifact first, due to the obvious long term plans of the Eldreth Veluuthra.

The PCs managed to find the Jaelre compound before the Eldreth Veluuthra did, and when they reported back to Haresk Malorn, Luvon Greencloak, the elven ambassador, asked them to keep the incident quiet until such time as he and Alok Silverspear, both of whom had been vouched for by Haresk Malorn.

While most of the people in Mistledale were whistful about the old elven citizens of the woods, and thought nothing ill about them, the PCs were now paranoid about every surface elf they met, since they never dealt with the rest of the Eldreth Veluuthra that they had originally scryed.
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  13:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used them, albeit only sparringly.

One of my players characters (Traci Loken CG Female Elf Priest 14 [Aerdrie]) is a high ranking member of the Sentinels - a custom made mercenary/guardian group - and I sent a few Eldreth Veluuthra assassins (CE Moon Elf Wizard 9/Ranger5/Arcane Archer 5) after her. The character almost died until she cast flamestrike on the wooden hut she was fighting in and used a ring of teleport to escape the burning building.

The PC's are now demanding the casters use detect alignment on every elf they meet :P
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  23:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a planned campaign that I am going to base totally on the recent trend of Murders at Featehr Falls (I made the trend up, it is not real lore). All the victims have been humans (EV's favorite target) and every night a new body is found. There is going to be a cell of three EV members. One ranger/PRC of Weald and Woe (it escapes me at the moment, but I will repost with the proper PRC name), one sorceress (leader), and one assassin/thief. Also one of the EV members is actually a descendant of House Starym. Also, a pact was made way back between a Green Dragon and House Starym so that House Starym had some back up in the event that they were attacked by the Coronal's forces. Needless to say hundreds of years later this dragon is hanging out with a Starym descendant and helping out with the killings. The dragon is motivated by the loot and the intrigue of surface elves being so deliciously evil. Now I have planned to use the possibility of caves near the base of Feather falls as a place to lay clues about. Cryptic graffiti and the like. I am also going to have a rock protruding just a foot over the water level at the base of the falls. This is where the human victims are left to be found in the morning. Anyways, that is all I have right now. Use it if you want. The adventure would take place in the Dales and I would start the party out in Feather Dale. Man I can't wait to unleash this campaign!

Illum
The Wandering Mage

Edited by - Wandering_mage on 11 May 2006 23:42:06
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  04:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the EV wandering throughout the Great Dale trying to learn as much as possible from the blightlords and other forces of Talona. Their goal is to discover how to manufacture a plague deadly only to those wtiih human blood (wioth half-elves and humans the obvious targets).

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  10:16:06  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't used them in Faerūn yet, but I have imported them to my Homebrewed world, Xyrn, where they are basically a terrorist organization tolerated by the elven Kingdom in my world. Still Xenophobic (actually, more so, as the Elven Nation and the last pure Human Nation were at war for much of their history). They were meant to be bad guys IMC as I had expected most of the players to play humans, but since ALL of the players were Elves or Half-Elves (or demented humans who thought they were elves), they ended up covertly assisting the PCs in their quests. Go figure.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2006 :  13:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting campaign you have, Knight

I certainly have big plans for the EV in my campaign. I thought of using the "Moander rises from the rot" plot from the Power of Faerūn. One of the EV members has fallen under The Creeping God's influence, and is now spreading rumours among the elves of an "ascended elven high mage" (or something like that) who will act as the divine patron for Eldreth Veluuthra. This, of course, being Moander in disguise. I have ignored the "tapping directly into Nature's power" idea from Champios of Ruin, and thus the EV spellcasters are desperate to find an elven deity to accept them.

I also thought of using "Heretic" (Chaotic Evil) clerics/druids of Erevan Ilesere, who might be allied with EV (if not actually joining them). These Heretics might eventually find their patron shifting from Erevan to this new "Elven Nature Deity" (Moander).

I am also planning that new/young members of the EV are voicing arguments on behalf of allying with other races against the humans and the drow - namely, orcs and half-orcs of The Broken Sword.

The Broken Sword (and through them, the Zhentarim also) would also probably sponsor the Church of Garagos to battle the Abbey of the Sword and the drow in Battledale, in order to create more chaos and strife in the Dalelands.

Then, it might be possible that EV would have agents within the Zhentarim, and now the "corrupted" Moanderite EV members are trying to lure powerful Zhent (Fzoul or Manshoon) members into Tsornyl.

What do you think, my fellow scribes and sages - am I going "too far" with my ideas? Any comments/critics or suggestions would be appreciated

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2006 :  18:07:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, despite all their evils, I don't see the Eldreth Veluuthra getting along with groups such as the blightlords or moander. I mean are they bad? Sure... but why? Because they are racists. They don't like other races and they hold their own races ideals to be so much better than everyone else's. Their own races core ideals (unless they're illithyri) wouldn't involve getting involved with beings who espouse the rotting of the natural world. Could I see drow doing this? Yes. Could I see fey'ri doing this? Yes, but with trepidation. Could I see the EV doing this? No. I could see them getting closer to other Talonites.... just not the blightlords.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  05:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, despite all their evils, I don't see the Eldreth Veluuthra getting along with groups such as the blightlords or moander. I mean are they bad? Sure... but why? Because they are racists. (snip) I could see them getting closer to other Talonites.... just not the blightlords.

The reason the EV IMC are getting involved with the blightlords is that they want to learn the secrets of manufacturing magical plagues. Their goal (as stated in Lossarwyn's section in Champions of Ruin... although the idea actually came to me when reading Jared Diamond's outstanding Guns, Germs & Steel) is a plague that targets only humans and half-bloods, particularly half-elves.

The secret IMC to many of the plagues that the blightlords are releasing is the corpse of Nergal that is entombed beneath the Great Barrow. A deepspawn named Putrid Womb has been feasting on the corpse for decades and can now spawn plagues as well as normal spawn and can also impart those plagues to its spawn.

In short, my EV are xenophobic racists who can hold their contempt for other races in check long enough to get what they need. Hmmm, reminds me of most businessmen I know and work with.... ;)

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  07:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, despite all their evils, I don't see the Eldreth Veluuthra getting along with groups such as the blightlords or moander. I mean are they bad? Sure... but why? Because they are racists. They don't like other races and they hold their own races ideals to be so much better than everyone else's. Their own races core ideals (unless they're illithyri) wouldn't involve getting involved with beings who espouse the rotting of the natural world. Could I see drow doing this? Yes. Could I see fey'ri doing this? Yes, but with trepidation. Could I see the EV doing this? No. I could see them getting closer to other Talonites.... just not the blightlords.

Ummm... because they are, in game terms, Chaotic Evil? Just kidding... did you read my post? They would not worship Moander, but rather a false image of a new elven "hero deity", who has nothing to do with corruption or rotting Sure, some of them would become "infested" by Moander, but the others would have no clue as to the real identity of their new patron.

I also agree with Eremite that EV members might even ally themselves with some humans, if it serves a greater purpose. Just take a look at the double-spy they have within the Night Masks. Is he killing his fellow Masks one by one, just to slay some humans? No. Does he hate them? Yes.

It is stated in the Champions of Ruin that EV might even co-operate with monsters to reach a certain goal.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000