Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Thoughts on Pharaun [SPOILERS for WotSQ]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cam Beul
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  04:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Cam Beul's Homepage Send Cam Beul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definately. What I thought was clever was that while he pushed the limits, he never quite went "too" far. It's like he knew what Quenthel could stand and danced around it annoyingly. Then again, one could say he went too far the whole time, and that's why she betrayed him.

Like most people, I hated the fact that he died. Although I liked every book of the series, I liked that one the least. What I couldn't stand about Ryld's death is that he didn't quite find his place before he died: I think hes going to be on the Wall.

But anyway, I'm elated to find out that there is going to be a novel on Vhok and Aliisza, especially since I found that having evil characters as the main characters was really refreshing. Mr. Reid already has a customer in me no matter what, but I would still be overjoyed if Pharaun made an appearance.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  08:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cam Beul
Like most people, I hated the fact that he died. Although I liked every book of the series, I liked that one the least. What I couldn't stand about Ryld's death is that he didn't quite find his place before he died: I think hes going to be on the Wall.

Hm, didn't he meet Halisstra on his way to the Demonweb Pits?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  13:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

quote:
Originally posted by Cam Beul

Hm, didn't he meet Halisstra on his way to the Demonweb Pits?

Yup. He was marching along like a good follower of Lolth. His soul is accounted for.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Mortic
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  11:54:24  Show Profile  Visit Mortic's Homepage Send Mortic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well my problems isnt that Ryld and Pharaun died, its more the way it happens, and espcecially book 5 (i think it is) where it seems like the Writer is trying to justify Ryld being killed. The writer describes him more evil and careless than he has been in the other books. This I see as more destroying the series than anything els.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  16:58:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pharaun was one of the best realms characters I have read about in several years, and his death was just......unnecessary. I want him to come back more than I can adequately express in words.
Go to Top of Page

Reignir
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  21:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Reignir's Homepage Send Reignir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off I want to be clear - Pharuans needs to come back. I've recently finished WotSQ, with Pharaun being my absolute favorite (topping even Entreri). Then I remembered something. Near the end of book 6, Valas Hune reappears, and makes an entrence for Road of the Patriarch (he set up a contract with Kimmuriel, remember?). But recall his impact on the situation. Of the party, one came back - Quenthel, the High Priestess. I have no idea how to interpret that, but it seems like that should have an impact on us. Maybe thats why Pharaun's death was necessary.
Also, others were discussing deaths and resurrections. Um, Drizzt died, remember? I mean sure, it wasn't ever going to be permenant, but still.. Entreri killed him - and he came back. What about Bruenor.. He...kinda...died..?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  22:13:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reignir

Also, others were discussing deaths and resurrections. Um, Drizzt died, remember? I mean sure, it wasn't ever going to be permenant, but still.. Entreri killed him - and he came back. What about Bruenor.. He...kinda...died..?

In what book did Drizzt die? I'm not recalling reading this, or seeing any other commentary on it...

Back on topic, for me Pharaun was one of the few high points of the WotSQ books. He wasn't enough to make the books likable, but he was himself a very likable character. The whole finger-souvenir thing very much made me expect a resurrection, but we've not yet seen that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  01:11:19  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Reignir

In what book did Drizzt die? I'm not recalling reading this, or seeing any other commentary on it...

Back on topic, for me Pharaun was one of the few high points of the WotSQ books. He wasn't enough to make the books likable, but he was himself a very likable character. The whole finger-souvenir thing very much made me expect a resurrection, but we've not yet seen that.

SPOILER! (Highlight space below to read)

He almost died in Servant of the Shard, but was healed just prior to entering Mieliki's grove...so to speak.

I liked Pharaun, but for me Nimoor was the most captivating character of the series. Pharaun for sarcasm. Nimoor for intrigue. I'd like to see them both again, but I doubt we ever will.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  09:36:13  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps this is what he meant, though Drizzt still did not actually die:

Spoiler: At the end of The Silent Blade, Entreri is given a kinetic barrier spell by Kimmuriel Oblodra which allows him to essentially rip Drizzt's heart out of his chest. He is seen bleeding out, with the blood flow quite faint, his body lying completely still (TSB, P4:C23).

However, we are then told that Drizzt was only dying--not completely dead--and that Rai'gy healed Drizzt's "dying form" (TSB, Epi.). Interestingly enough, Jarlaxle tells us that the healing spell was granted by Lolth!
:/Spoiler

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

mnb128
Learned Scribe

USA
130 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2009 :  16:41:15  Show Profile  Visit mnb128's Homepage Send mnb128 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Perhaps this is what he meant, though Drizzt still did not actually die:

Spoiler: At the end of The Silent Blade, Entreri is given a kinetic barrier spell by Kimmuriel Oblodra which allows him to essentially rip Drizzt's heart out of his chest. He is seen bleeding out, with the blood flow quite faint, his body lying completely still (TSB, P4:C23).

However, we are then told that Drizzt was only dying--not completely dead--and that Rai'gy healed Drizzt's "dying form" (TSB, Epi.). Interestingly enough, Jarlaxle tells us that the healing spell was granted by Lolth!
:/Spoiler

I stand corrected. I meant TSB not SotSH.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2009 :  23:49:00  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Pharaun was one of the best realms characters I have read about in several years, and his death was just......unnecessary. I want him to come back more than I can adequately express in words.

i havent read the empyrrean oddysey trilogy yet but if pharun dosent come back so what.great character but sometimes its good to go after one series.gives him a cult appeal.better than being flogged to death like a certain other dark elf.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000