Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Familiar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  01:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Almost every other favorite thing has been asked so, what is each person's favorite familiar? And sorry if anybody has asked this before.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  02:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heh. I think you already know my favorite familiar. *holds up the baby snow leopard* Of course Starfire is my favorite!!! *hears growling in her head from Avalanche's telepathy* um...and of course Avalanche is an awesome familiar too...though he's not mine. He's a winter wolf. (Reana's famliar).

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  02:44:34  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I bet both are great familiars. For me, I'm not sure but I'd have to say that my favorite familiar is my lion, Forenkito, if you can call him that. He is summoned kinda like Drizzt's panther. (Sorry I can't fully remember how to spell her name.) He is a bright golden color and big enough for me to ride on his back.*Targon summons his lion*

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  06:07:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's Guenhwyvar.

And my favorite . . . well, actually, I don't have one. But I'd prefer a cat-type. Hey, Sadon, does Starfire have any siblings?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  06:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*laughs* of course he does! *points to a small image on a crystal ball that appeared out of no where* Would you like a snow leopard familiar?

"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  06:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . sure! Only, we should figure out some way to bring him/her into the conversation in the Inn. Otherwise I couldn't play with a kitty there! (Imagine, a dragon with a weakness for playful little kitties. )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  06:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods then thinks for a second* Ah ha! *snaps fingers* I think I have an idea.... heh heh. I'm going to the Inn.... Catch you guys there! *heh heh*

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  08:43:57  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the pseudo dragon is my favorite, it's a funny creature and a good dm can use it to add a bit a excitement.
In an evil optic, i like the Imp (especially since i read the cleric quintlet)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  09:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I like dragons (obviously!), but considering the character I use here, that would be rather redundant, don't you think?

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  09:12:22  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, sure a mithril dragon with a pseudo dragon as a familiar. Why don't you use a staff with dragon's claws at the top?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  09:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, too ostentatious. I like this one instead.

[Bookwyrm pulls out a 1.71m hand-carved staff from his robe's pocket of holding. It is made of a dark wood and has a graceful thinning and widening to it, as well as an artistic twist in the midsection. It has a weathered look to it, as if it has seen great use as a walking stick in uncivilized areas.]

I picked this up at a faire in another (*ahem*) land. Not too fancy, and it's quite sturdy. Not just a decorative item, this.

Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2003 :  06:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an awsome question to ask.

Me and a few of my friends (including Trafaldi & Feanor) are setting up a FRD&D in which i play an Illusionist named Cantus Drought (sounds like a capri-sun flavor dosn't it?) and he has a familiar Tressym named scribe. I think Tressym's are awsome, so of course, there my favorite.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2003 :  14:11:56  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there an updated/revised listing of possible familiars for 2nd/3rd edition?

My favorite was the Pseudo Dragon as well though none of my pc's actually had one for a familiar.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2003 :  14:28:57  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most complete list i saw was in T&B, so not very recent
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  19:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raven, you can have conversations with it.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  19:12:30  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on people, Tressyms are awsome. Does no one else here favor Tressyms as well?

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  19:12:43  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

Raven, you can have conversations with it.

One of my wizard has a raven as a familiar... She's a wizard of Nimbral, CN, only 5 in Charisma, very clever but very frail, i love this character, mid evil/ mid good
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  19:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

i love this character, mid evil/ mid good

What do you mean? Just that she's neutral?

quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

Does no one else here favor Tressyms as well?

Actually, I don't even know what they are, though I do have a picture from the Wizards website.

Go to Top of Page

Paladin_of_Torm
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  20:06:59  Show Profile  Visit Paladin_of_Torm's Homepage Send Paladin_of_Torm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I could have a familiar, I'd want a mighty bird. They can fly high and they have better eyesight than humans. And with the telepathic communications, they can scout out far and relay the information back to me.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  22:07:22  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm: Yes she is neutral, what i wanted to highlight is that she's not happy with this. She doesn't know if she'll choose the good path or the evil one. It depends mostly on the characters of her group. She has been very disappointed since she was born, once more and ...

Paladin: In the campaign i'm DMing, there's a paladin of Tyr. He doesn't have a familiar of course but his paladin mount he's very cool: It's a dire winged celestial wolf... Pretty cool
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  22:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure about copy write laws and shiq like that. So I'll just post the web page.

Bookwyrm asked what a Tressym was (kinda) and I founf this web page. Anyone else who would like to know, check out this web page.

http://home.onego.ru/~adnd/pages/frms/fr_ms_015.htm

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  23:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zemd: I thought 'dire' referred to an evil creature. I assume this is not actually the case? (It's certainly an interesting mount, anyway!)

Salius: Well! The picture I had seen made it look more like a winged weasel than a cat. Perhaps a badger. I hadn't really paid that much attention to it; bottom line, I didn't know it was a cat. That changes things!

Cats and dragons are kind of a tie for me -- except that the cat always wins the attractiveness contest. I like these little fellas . . . almost as good as treecats! (But that's another universe entirely. )

You got another vote; maybe Paladin's too, since it fits his wishlist for a familiar.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:21:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, a dire animal is a tougher version of the original animal. Sor the wolf weight 700 pounds!

You were refering to a fiend creature
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, just an evil animal. After all, "dire" sounds . . . *ahem* dire. It sounds like something a paladin would normally kill, not ride. However, I stand corrected. [Bookwyrm stands briefly. ]

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:38:09  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D I R E
R I D E

zemd looks at the atonished scibe
"Sorry"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:40:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Sounds like what a pookha would give you . . . .

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  19:42:55  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's a pookha?
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  02:14:23  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't mean to force my way into your conversation, but i have to know, too.

Whats a pookha?

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  02:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Pookha is the name of the assassin that wanted Regis to give back a ruby pendent that could mesmerize anybody. He hired Artimus Entrei to get Regis and he hunted Regis for many years.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  02:29:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an Irish mythical beast. (It's also spelled pooka, but I prefer it with the h. There's a slightly different sound.) It was a shapeshifter that could take any form, but it would have to be a hairy one. As in, posterchild for laser hair removal.

A common form would be a horse; it would entice weary travellers to climb on its back, playing the part of a docile riding horse. Then suddenly it would take off at supernatural speed, taking the rider along for a wild ride from which they could not escape. That's why I thought of the pookha when you wrote "dire ride."

By the way, the tales differ on whether the pookha was evil or just mischievous. Either way, it was not uncommon for the rider to die of fright.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  08:01:58  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

I think Pookha is the name of the assassin that wanted Regis to give back a ruby pendent that could mesmerize anybody. He hired Artimus Entrei to get Regis and he hunted Regis for many years.

No, it's Pook only

Bookwyrm: I've to admit, nice one
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000