Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Familiar

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Targon Moonrise Posted - 15 Mar 2003 : 01:39:55
Almost every other favorite thing has been asked so, what is each person's favorite familiar? And sorry if anybody has asked this before.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Malanthius Posted - 27 Jul 2003 : 21:53:13
I'm a Drizzt fan too. I picked the panther everytime.

Mal.
The Sage Posted - 26 Jul 2003 : 04:43:45
Since this post will cut into two forum themes, I have decided to post it here since we already have a topic started on this.

I am curious as to what type of familiars players have chosen in the NWN game and it's expansion. I had originally chosen the panther for the main game, and the pseudo-dragon for the expansion.

What did the other scribes here find as their favorite choice?.

MuadDib Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 11:22:10
not but give me five minutes or......

::MuadDib casts time stop::

*gone* tick tock tick tock tick tock

::MuadDib returns from his trip to the ethereal plane.....::

"Damn traffic is too high, have to return later and try it again although i know there is a dragon lying in wait deep down inside of me"
Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 08:35:26
Yay! Another dragon nut.

Did you ever take the Dragon Soul quiz, MuadDib?

::wanders off, singing Don McLean's "Flight of Dragons" under his breath::
MuadDib Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 07:50:03
Having any kind of dragon familiar is the best

I mean, its a miniature Dragon, is there anything cooler? I mean, search your soul for the best thing you could have, and you will see a dragon looking back at you.

Look harder if you're not seeing it
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 07:25:23
Hmm...this is interesting. The overall special powers and abilities that I allowed those familiars to grant were simply traits and abilities that the familiars naturally possessed anyway, which was why I found it so difficult to believe that WotC had simply ignored it.

Now here is something (as an example) that I have been thinking about. For instance, on list the eagle grants no special powers or abilities to his master. Now taking into consideration the eagles exceptional eyesight, and it's ability to see fish in the water from several hundred feet in the air, and also that it's eyes have two centers of focus (or foveae, which allow the eagle to see objects both forward and at it's side at the same time), it should therefore be fairly obvious that such an ability would grant a bonus to say, the Spot skill for example.

Eagles also demonstrate fairly good hearing abilities during the day (although not as sharp and sensitive as the owl for example) to locate prey and other birds. This could be taken to represent a Listen bonus, at least in daylight.

Now onto 'improved' familiars, just allow me some time to reread the basics of this feat and it's other details in Tome and Blood.

I should have something soon.

Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 04:04:57
This is getting to be a regular thing, changing canon rules and such, sticking in our own feats and spells and racial stats . . . .

Dungeon Hackers, Ltd.: "We mess with D&D!"

These are the familiars who don't grant special powers or abilities to the master:

Bat
Hawk (regular or sparrow hawk)
Eagle (for Large masters)
Raven
Shrew
Snake (regular or viper)
Thrush

Now, the shrew and the snakes all have poisonous bites, but that's only useful in a fight (or for killing someone in their sleep, I guess; Sherlock Holmes, anyone?). I think they ought to give some sort of bonus against poison.

The raven and the thrush both have the "speak one language" ability. Those, perhaps, should be left alone. It gives the master a nice scout and messenger. (Though all familiars can speak to their masters at fifth level and higher, so that usefulness is decreased.)

Also, what about the "improved" familiars? Mumadar gave my character a +2 to Move Silently because of his tressym, but that isn't in the canon lore. Should this be included in a "this should be messed with" list?
The Sage Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 03:43:44
Well they do in my campaigns. I corrected that little 'oversight' when I first read about it, and after I had sent an email to WotC asking about this very thing.

Since 3e was still new, WotC were swamped with emails, and I never received a response. However on the old forums, when some of the design staff visited to take questions or post upcoming product information, I made a point of asking the same question.

In reply, all the design-staff assistanct said was that that was what the designers felt was appropriate for the particular familiars that were selected. I was not satisfied with that response, since I, and I am sure other players and DM's alike had come to the same conclusion, that regardless of the familiar, a bonus to something of the master would always be appropriate.

Perhaps we should incorporate a system of our own?.

Bookwyrm Posted - 21 Jul 2003 : 03:35:15
Not quite the subject here, but it's the only scroll dealing with familiars that I could find . . . .

Why is it that some familiars don't grant a special power to the master? For instance, a cat or an owl or a shrew will grant a +2 modifier on Move Silently checks. A toad gives an extra two points of Constitution (+1 to Fortitude checks and +1 hit point per die). And so on.

But some don't do anything. A bat or a hawk or such -- nothing. Why? It seems more likely that they would; a bat would give +2 to Listen, perhaps, and the hawk a +2 to Spot.

Any thoughts?
zemd Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 11:01:12
It's always a pleasure Alaundo.

<zemd makes a reverence to Alaundo>
Alaundo Posted - 20 Mar 2003 : 08:25:15
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

We're getting away from the initial subject:

check here

... You're welcome Alaundo

I thank you zemd, what would I do without you!?
zemd Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 22:28:26
We're getting away from the initial subject:

check here

... You're welcome Alaundo
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 19:52:14
Oh, yes, of course. Tyr is from Norse myth. He was one of the Asgard gods. (And yes, he was also missing a hand!) Some of the other gods are also taken, but have had their names and/or genders changed.
zemd Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 19:46:33
Some gods in FR are also taken from mythologie. (i don't remember which ones, i think Tyr, the Mulhorandi Pantheon, and surely others)
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 18:49:45
I know -- I like Celtic (and especially Irish) mythology. And for most mythologies I focus on the beastiaries. (Non-human/non-divine creatures.) The pookha is one of my favorites, though I hope Wizards doesn't put it in. The Realms (and D&D in general) seem a touch crowded as it is.

It's interesting to take a look at what Wizards and TSR borrowed or made up. Well, okay, I'm more interested in what they borrowed. Like the Balor -- that was the name of an anti-hero from Irish myth (Balor of the Evil Eye), and while at first glance it doesn't seem the same, there are similarities.

Another interesting thing is just to look at the creatures that are already famous. Take the Banshee. It actually comes from the two words "bean" and "sidhe" (bawn and shee), which mean woman and faery. In other words, a faery or fey woman.

I love mythology.
zemd Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 08:01:58
quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

I think Pookha is the name of the assassin that wanted Regis to give back a ruby pendent that could mesmerize anybody. He hired Artimus Entrei to get Regis and he hunted Regis for many years.

No, it's Pook only

Bookwyrm: I've to admit, nice one
Bookwyrm Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 02:29:11
It's an Irish mythical beast. (It's also spelled pooka, but I prefer it with the h. There's a slightly different sound.) It was a shapeshifter that could take any form, but it would have to be a hairy one. As in, posterchild for laser hair removal.

A common form would be a horse; it would entice weary travellers to climb on its back, playing the part of a docile riding horse. Then suddenly it would take off at supernatural speed, taking the rider along for a wild ride from which they could not escape. That's why I thought of the pookha when you wrote "dire ride."

By the way, the tales differ on whether the pookha was evil or just mischievous. Either way, it was not uncommon for the rider to die of fright.
Targon Moonrise Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 02:26:20
I think Pookha is the name of the assassin that wanted Regis to give back a ruby pendent that could mesmerize anybody. He hired Artimus Entrei to get Regis and he hunted Regis for many years.
Salius Kai Posted - 19 Mar 2003 : 02:14:23
Don't mean to force my way into your conversation, but i have to know, too.

Whats a pookha?
zemd Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 19:42:55
What's a pookha?
Bookwyrm Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 19:40:55
Heh. Sounds like what a pookha would give you . . . .
zemd Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 19:38:09
D I R E
R I D E

zemd looks at the atonished scibe
"Sorry"
Bookwyrm Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 19:35:37
No, just an evil animal. After all, "dire" sounds . . . *ahem* dire. It sounds like something a paladin would normally kill, not ride. However, I stand corrected. [Bookwyrm stands briefly. ]
zemd Posted - 18 Mar 2003 : 19:21:13
No, a dire animal is a tougher version of the original animal. Sor the wolf weight 700 pounds!

You were refering to a fiend creature
Bookwyrm Posted - 17 Mar 2003 : 23:41:21
Zemd: I thought 'dire' referred to an evil creature. I assume this is not actually the case? (It's certainly an interesting mount, anyway!)

Salius: Well! The picture I had seen made it look more like a winged weasel than a cat. Perhaps a badger. I hadn't really paid that much attention to it; bottom line, I didn't know it was a cat. That changes things!

Cats and dragons are kind of a tie for me -- except that the cat always wins the attractiveness contest. I like these little fellas . . . almost as good as treecats! (But that's another universe entirely. )

You got another vote; maybe Paladin's too, since it fits his wishlist for a familiar.
Salius Kai Posted - 17 Mar 2003 : 22:24:50
I wasn't sure about copy write laws and shiq like that. So I'll just post the web page.

Bookwyrm asked what a Tressym was (kinda) and I founf this web page. Anyone else who would like to know, check out this web page.

http://home.onego.ru/~adnd/pages/frms/fr_ms_015.htm
zemd Posted - 17 Mar 2003 : 22:07:22
Bookwyrm: Yes she is neutral, what i wanted to highlight is that she's not happy with this. She doesn't know if she'll choose the good path or the evil one. It depends mostly on the characters of her group. She has been very disappointed since she was born, once more and ...

Paladin: In the campaign i'm DMing, there's a paladin of Tyr. He doesn't have a familiar of course but his paladin mount he's very cool: It's a dire winged celestial wolf... Pretty cool
Paladin_of_Torm Posted - 17 Mar 2003 : 20:06:59
If I could have a familiar, I'd want a mighty bird. They can fly high and they have better eyesight than humans. And with the telepathic communications, they can scout out far and relay the information back to me.
Bookwyrm Posted - 17 Mar 2003 : 19:52:47
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

i love this character, mid evil/ mid good

What do you mean? Just that she's neutral?

quote:
Originally posted by Salius Kai

Does no one else here favor Tressyms as well?

Actually, I don't even know what they are, though I do have a picture from the Wizards website.
zemd Posted - 17 Mar 2003 : 19:12:43
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

Raven, you can have conversations with it.

One of my wizard has a raven as a familiar... She's a wizard of Nimbral, CN, only 5 in Charisma, very clever but very frail, i love this character, mid evil/ mid good

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000