Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Familiar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  18:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know -- I like Celtic (and especially Irish) mythology. And for most mythologies I focus on the beastiaries. (Non-human/non-divine creatures.) The pookha is one of my favorites, though I hope Wizards doesn't put it in. The Realms (and D&D in general) seem a touch crowded as it is.

It's interesting to take a look at what Wizards and TSR borrowed or made up. Well, okay, I'm more interested in what they borrowed. Like the Balor -- that was the name of an anti-hero from Irish myth (Balor of the Evil Eye), and while at first glance it doesn't seem the same, there are similarities.

Another interesting thing is just to look at the creatures that are already famous. Take the Banshee. It actually comes from the two words "bean" and "sidhe" (bawn and shee), which mean woman and faery. In other words, a faery or fey woman.

I love mythology.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  19:46:33  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some gods in FR are also taken from mythologie. (i don't remember which ones, i think Tyr, the Mulhorandi Pantheon, and surely others)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  19:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, yes, of course. Tyr is from Norse myth. He was one of the Asgard gods. (And yes, he was also missing a hand!) Some of the other gods are also taken, but have had their names and/or genders changed.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  22:28:26  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're getting away from the initial subject:

check here

... You're welcome Alaundo
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  08:25:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by zemd

We're getting away from the initial subject:

check here

... You're welcome Alaundo

I thank you zemd, what would I do without you!?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  11:01:12  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's always a pleasure Alaundo.

<zemd makes a reverence to Alaundo>
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:35:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not quite the subject here, but it's the only scroll dealing with familiars that I could find . . . .

Why is it that some familiars don't grant a special power to the master? For instance, a cat or an owl or a shrew will grant a +2 modifier on Move Silently checks. A toad gives an extra two points of Constitution (+1 to Fortitude checks and +1 hit point per die). And so on.

But some don't do anything. A bat or a hawk or such -- nothing. Why? It seems more likely that they would; a bat would give +2 to Listen, perhaps, and the hawk a +2 to Spot.

Any thoughts?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  03:43:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well they do in my campaigns. I corrected that little 'oversight' when I first read about it, and after I had sent an email to WotC asking about this very thing.

Since 3e was still new, WotC were swamped with emails, and I never received a response. However on the old forums, when some of the design staff visited to take questions or post upcoming product information, I made a point of asking the same question.

In reply, all the design-staff assistanct said was that that was what the designers felt was appropriate for the particular familiars that were selected. I was not satisfied with that response, since I, and I am sure other players and DM's alike had come to the same conclusion, that regardless of the familiar, a bonus to something of the master would always be appropriate.

Perhaps we should incorporate a system of our own?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  04:04:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is getting to be a regular thing, changing canon rules and such, sticking in our own feats and spells and racial stats . . . .

Dungeon Hackers, Ltd.: "We mess with D&D!"

These are the familiars who don't grant special powers or abilities to the master:

Bat
Hawk (regular or sparrow hawk)
Eagle (for Large masters)
Raven
Shrew
Snake (regular or viper)
Thrush

Now, the shrew and the snakes all have poisonous bites, but that's only useful in a fight (or for killing someone in their sleep, I guess; Sherlock Holmes, anyone?). I think they ought to give some sort of bonus against poison.

The raven and the thrush both have the "speak one language" ability. Those, perhaps, should be left alone. It gives the master a nice scout and messenger. (Though all familiars can speak to their masters at fifth level and higher, so that usefulness is decreased.)

Also, what about the "improved" familiars? Mumadar gave my character a +2 to Move Silently because of his tressym, but that isn't in the canon lore. Should this be included in a "this should be messed with" list?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  07:25:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...this is interesting. The overall special powers and abilities that I allowed those familiars to grant were simply traits and abilities that the familiars naturally possessed anyway, which was why I found it so difficult to believe that WotC had simply ignored it.

Now here is something (as an example) that I have been thinking about. For instance, on list the eagle grants no special powers or abilities to his master. Now taking into consideration the eagles exceptional eyesight, and it's ability to see fish in the water from several hundred feet in the air, and also that it's eyes have two centers of focus (or foveae, which allow the eagle to see objects both forward and at it's side at the same time), it should therefore be fairly obvious that such an ability would grant a bonus to say, the Spot skill for example.

Eagles also demonstrate fairly good hearing abilities during the day (although not as sharp and sensitive as the owl for example) to locate prey and other birds. This could be taken to represent a Listen bonus, at least in daylight.

Now onto 'improved' familiars, just allow me some time to reread the basics of this feat and it's other details in Tome and Blood.

I should have something soon.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  07:50:03  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having any kind of dragon familiar is the best

I mean, its a miniature Dragon, is there anything cooler? I mean, search your soul for the best thing you could have, and you will see a dragon looking back at you.

Look harder if you're not seeing it

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  08:35:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! Another dragon nut.

Did you ever take the Dragon Soul quiz, MuadDib?

::wanders off, singing Don McLean's "Flight of Dragons" under his breath::

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  11:22:10  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not but give me five minutes or......

::MuadDib casts time stop::

*gone* tick tock tick tock tick tock

::MuadDib returns from his trip to the ethereal plane.....::

"Damn traffic is too high, have to return later and try it again although i know there is a dragon lying in wait deep down inside of me"

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand

Edited by - MuadDib on 21 Jul 2003 11:22:58
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2003 :  04:43:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since this post will cut into two forum themes, I have decided to post it here since we already have a topic started on this.

I am curious as to what type of familiars players have chosen in the NWN game and it's expansion. I had originally chosen the panther for the main game, and the pseudo-dragon for the expansion.

What did the other scribes here find as their favorite choice?.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  21:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a Drizzt fan too. I picked the panther everytime.

Mal.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000