Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Heroes in Novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  05:51:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Oh really? Who does Ed say is the best and could you direct me to wear? I'd love to see.

(not disputing, I'm interested)

yes.

But it was a miniscule benefit compared to his skill.

Ed has several others, who are the best swordsmen, both male and female I believe. the post is here on this site. If I am correct, on the ask Ed thread 2006. sage can you help me out here??
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  05:53:57  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks.

Ed Knows Best.

The fact he's such a resource to fans is amazing.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  06:03:19  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
quote:

Thanks.

Ed Knows Best.

The fact he's such a resource to fans is amazing.

here you go Charles, page 7 of questions for ed.

quoted by THO
Hello, all. Ed e-mailed me this for Dargoth (re: “This particular NDA wouldn’t happen to expire in say August 2006 would it?”):
“No.”
So there you go.
In more substantial news, Ed makes VERY swift reply (which makes me guess he was at work on something that touches on this topic, though I really have no idea what) to Feanor, who posted: “Greetings. A question for Ed : - which would be the best swordsmen in the Realms ?”
Heeeere’s Ed:

Well, now. “Swordsmen” you say, so I’m going to narrow my reply down to: male living (not dead or undead) humans.
I’m going to further qualify my reply by saying that among the most skilled masters of bladework, “best” becomes a matter of opinion regarding style, and the average observer can’t identify (let alone properly interpret) most subtle differences because they’re either dead too quickly, or too dazzled by things that happen too swiftly for them to see properly and too deftly for them to measure or grasp the implications of (matters of shifting a foe just a little off balance, or forcing a movement in stance or location, that will lead to a killing stroke three or four maneuvers later).
Moreover, “best” is a steadily shifting title, even when one sets aside divine and magical meddling, because (as with real-world tennis) youthful speed and acrobatic suppleness, plus freedom from injuries and the slowing and crippling effects of aging (on, say, the human knee), must always be balanced against the experience gained in duel after duel after battle: young swordsmen are always rising to the fore, but only step into the ranks of the “best” when those more expert through real-life practice grow too slow to defeat the most skilled younglings (or the younglings overcome their inexperience).
I’m also going to restrict myself purely to matters of bladework, in a one-on-one fight in surroundings that favour neither combatant. In other words, I’m minimizing “street smarts” or dirty fighting or the adventurers’ experience in exploiting traction, lighting, obstacles, distractions, and all of that: factors that seasoned adventurers (like Durnan of Waterdeep) can use to defeat foes who might be a shade faster or a whit better in pure bladework. This will work against Artemis Entreri, for example, but also against a host of other adventurers whom I won’t even mention in this reply, but who might otherwise show up in my answer.
(Personally, I’d rather not do any “best of” rankings, because I think they’re subjective, snapshots of moments in time that are dated even as they’re made, and a bit pointless. Even in pure-skill tournaments, upsets occur, and if a DM wants to create an unknown who’s better than the individuals mentioned here, go right ahead.)
However, I probably possess the best overview of the entire tapestry of the Realms of anyone (though not all that far ahead of, say, Messrs. Boyd and Krashos, closely followed by Schend, Hunter, and Grubb), and can speak from that strength - - not being limited, for instance, by published Realmslore.
So you’re really going to have to trust me here, when I say that the best bladesman in the Realms right now (1375 DR) is: Harmel Artru, a darkly handsome, agile, glib-tongued and lady-charming merchant seacaptain (and sometime pirate), who sails The Winsome Lady independent caravel out of Saerloon (and a secret base somewhere in the Pirate Isles).
Only a whisker-width behind Artru is Loaros Hammarandar, a broad-shouldered, grim giant of a man who can hurl his prodigious strength and bulk around like an acrobat, and is an ever-wary-of-treachery mercenary warmaster currently under hire by Narubel, who commands “the Swift Sword” cavalry force used to quell bandits and unrest in that city and its surrounding farms (and dedicates himself to quietly eliminating all threats to the current rulership, prosperity, and status quo in Narubel).
Close behind Artru and Hammarandar are Skoalam Marlgrask and then Sraece Telthorn.
Skoalam Marlgrask is a professional duelist who travels Chessenta as the champion of whomever sponsors him in duels, making huge sums (because everyone locally knows he’s “the best” in duels, and so tries to outbid opponents seeking to hire his services) that are usually paid in gems and used by Marlgrask to immediately buy property, notably an ever-expanding string of inns and taverns. Marlgrask is polite, saturnine, nondescript of looks but quietly luxurious of dress, and seems able to sense danger (crossbow snipers, for instance) before it can reach out for him. He’s known to be resistant to many natural poisons (having learned this the hard way), but now takes great care regarding what he eats and drinks (hence his purchase of many inns and taverns).
Sraece Telthorn is a smallish, agile, almost feminine man who can dance, tumble, balance, and spring with a skill and precision matched only by the greatest acrobats (once leaping off a parapet to land perfectly balanced on a sloping, protruding flagstaff far below, for instance, and often springing over the slashing swords of opponents). He teaches “swordplay” (fencing) in Yhaunn and Waterdeep, and is believed to travel between the two by means of secret portals of unknown origin and location. Telthorn lives simply, is unambitious (avoiding power and important patrons, and giving much of his coins away), and is beloved by many pleasure-lasses of Waterdeep, who regard him as a kind friend or honorary brother as well as a frequent client.
I’d put the infamous Artemis Entreri after Telthorn, though I could be persuaded to rank two other male human bladesmen between them: Ulmaer Rivrymm of Sheirtalar (a smiling, wax-mustached man of good nature but lightning-swift reflexes and keen sight, who is personal bodyguard to the Overking of Lapaliiya, and can juggle scimitars to entertain), and Aka ‘the Questmaster’ (the mysterious sponsor and trainer of adventurers) who dwells, these days, in the wilderlands of the Sword Coast North.
If I widen my reply to include human females, two must be inserted: Ember Tsartaera between Hammarandar and Marlgrask, and Lyaunthra Aldegal between Marlgrask and Telthorn.
Ember Tsartaera is the tall, cool of manner and sparing of words Knight of Arms (weaponsmaster, or trainer of bodyguards and soldiers) to Lord Albin, ruler of Furthinghome in Aglarond, where she dwells. Ember dresses plainly, lives in spartan surroundings, and is always under iron self-control, keeping to herself and crafting masterwork swords when she’s not practising using them or training others to do so; she never raises her voice (though she can be coldly, cuttingly firm), is always alert and anticipating trouble, and has an acrobatic fighting style; she’s famous in Furthinghome for catching hurled daggers and arrows in flight.
Lyaunthra Aldegal has recently settled in Waterdeep, though she still retains homes in her three previous bases: Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and Secomber. “The Lioness” is a superb maker of bladed weapons and tools (who learned her skills from her now-dead parents), who can resharpen and balance almost any fragment of a mistreated item. She owns and travels between small weapon shops in Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and Secomber, and specializes in finding just the right weapon for a client, and in weapons-training and -practising with select clients. Known to have ironguard protection afforded by a wearable item (a choker or anklet, most believe), she’s also known to be able to withstand great pain, once (in the days before her ironguard protection) slaying a killer who’d put his blade through her hilt-deep, and then (despite being hit by both acid and fire magics) staggering through four rooms to get healing potions, managing to drink them and pluck forth his blade without passing out. Aldegal is a fire-haired, rugged-looking woman who takes numerous lovers, arrives and departs quietly and unexpectedly, and is seldom to be found where one expects to find her.
Quite a roster.
If I now widen my reply further, to include elves, half-elves, dwarves, halflings, and gnomes (note that I’m still excluding shapechanging races and multi-armed intelligent “monsters”), I’d put Maethrammar Aerasume between Artru and Hammarandar, and Drizzt Do’Urden JUST behind Marlgrask.
However, ask me this a year from now (Realms time), and - - even if there haven’t been fatalities - - these rankings may have shifted around quite a bit. As I said, among individuals of this skill, determinations are whisker-thin.

So saith Ed. Whew. Warned you, didn’t I? What Ed and all of we original players share when reading or listening to debates about “bests” and most this or that of the Realms is that there’s so much as-yet-unpublished Realmslore about this everchanging world that Ed crafted and continues to detail and expand, right alongside other writers (so the argument that “well, we can’t go by Ed’s original, we can only discuss the published Realms, that’s diverged so much from his original” goes right out the window). I happen to agree with Ed that rating “best” bladesmen is a bit pointless because it’s so subjective, changes so fast, and has such little practical roleplaying value - - but I fully understand Feanor’s curiosity in wanting to know. It’s a longing to know and understand the Realms more fully that we all share.
And I hope we will always continue to do so!
love to all,
THO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - The Hooded One on 23 Jan 2006 01:12:49

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  06:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Fascinating, so Drizzt and Artemis ARE on the list. I'm surprised.

Great stuff and I'm very grateful.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  06:26:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

Oh really? Who does Ed say is the best and could you direct me to wear? I'd love to see.

(not disputing, I'm interested)

yes.

But it was a miniscule benefit compared to his skill.

Ed has several others, who are the best swordsmen, both male and female I believe. the post is here on this site. If I am correct, on the ask Ed thread 2006. sage can you help me out here??

Use the links in my sig. :) Alaundo will be updating the 2006 replies shortly with the new index for the year.

Furthermore to Charles: Ed has discussed Alusair and her fertility and the like in the past two years. Again, use the indexes. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Apr 2006 06:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  06:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I believe I asked him a question on the subject and he directly answered it once.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  06:52:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

I believe I asked him a question on the subject and he directly answered it once.

He may have but he has added more on this site because other posters have asked more pointed questions about her and her lovers and her fertility, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  06:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I'll have to check that out.

I imagine a lot get asked twice or so.

Errr....mind telling me where the index is? This site is a bit daunting on occasion.

:blush:

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  07:25:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

I'll have to check that out.

I imagine a lot get asked twice or so.

Errr....mind telling me where the index is? This site is a bit daunting on occasion.

:blush:

I said in my above post, the links are in my sig. Wonders if people read people's posts. :)

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  07:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Just was hoping for some direct Alusair transfer

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 06 Apr 2006 07:31:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  07:39:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Yes, your point?

I'm missing something.

What I'm trying to say that if Drizzt was unskilled and not 'The best' he still would have died even with the magical blade.

And what I'm saying is that in his fight with Errtu, his skill was not a factor. Drizzt was defeated. The magical blade saved his butt -- not skill. Had Drizzt held any sword other than that or a +18 Sword of Errtu slaying, then he would have lost. Skill was not part of the equation -- Regis could've stuck Errtu with the blade, with the same effect.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  07:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I utterly disagree.

The sword provided the edge that turned defeat to victory but it was a minor one.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  07:42:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Just was hoping for some direct Alusair transfer

Well, let's not clutter up this post with very long posts from Ed about that, when they are pages long. :) That's why those posts are hosted on the site and why they have an index.

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Apr 2006 07:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  07:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Thanks.

:-)

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  14:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message
Theres something i'm very curious about. I am personally a very big fan of drizzt in the past when he was still a man instead of the wimp he is now. The question is......

How on earth did u expect anyone to defeat a demon without a magical weapon? demons are immune to normal weapons,aren't they? So what if errtu was caught by surprise, errtu had lots of spells on his side, its not drizzt's fault that the silly demon was counting on his flame aura. As for condemning drizzt for using icingdeath, you might as well say elminster is not a true wizard for depending on being a chosen of mystra. find me an adventurer who can defeat a demon with no spells or magic weapon and i will show u a demon who is actually a human who is walking around in a demon custome.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  14:59:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

Theres something i'm very curious about. I am personally a very big fan of drizzt in the past when he was still a man instead of the wimp he is now. The question is......

How on earth did u expect anyone to defeat a demon without a magical weapon? demons are immune to normal weapons,aren't they? So what if errtu was caught by surprise, errtu had lots of spells on his side, its not drizzt's fault that the silly demon was counting on his flame aura. As for condemning drizzt for using icingdeath, you might as well say elminster is not a true wizard for depending on being a chosen of mystra. find me an adventurer who can defeat a demon with no spells or magic weapon and i will show u a demon who is actually a human who is walking around in a demon custome.

No one is condemning Drizzt for using Icingdeath. What I am saying is that his skill was not a factor in his defeat of Errtu -- it was all Icingdeath, not training or skill. Drizzt would not have won the fight without that particular blade -- any other sword, even a magical one, and he still would have been defeated. It was the magic of the sword that did the trick. Drizzt was already defeated, which nicely shows that his skill did not save the day.

I'm not arguing against using magic weapons or saying that Drizzt is not a good fighter. What I am doing is rejecting the argument that his skill had anything to do with defeating Errtu.

Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  15:12:38  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message

Now that I saw Ed's list of swordsmen. The only one that I was surprised to see would be Meathrammar Aerasume. So apparently Ed's take on this character is NOT the Fighter/Mage that was statted out in the WOTC website.

Monch
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  15:17:07  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
I believed my friend Drizzt was done for, Erttu had him beat hands down. Didn't Drizzt just poke Ertu in the leg or calf with icingdeath? if so, regardless of skill, this would not have been a blow that defeated Erttu. It was all the power of this particular sword that won the day and banished Ertu back to where he came from.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  16:12:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I believed my friend Drizzt was done for, Erttu had him beat hands down. Didn't Drizzt just poke Ertu in the leg or calf with icingdeath? if so, regardless of skill, this would not have been a blow that defeated Erttu. It was all the power of this particular sword that won the day and banished Ertu back to where he came from.

Yup. That's why I say that skill was not a factor in that particular combat.

Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  16:16:01  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message
Even with my augmented writeup of Drizzt in the Candlekeep website, there was no way/no how that Drizzt could have bested Errtu without Icingdeath. Skill was not a factor. Luck in getting Icingdeath was.

Monch

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yup. That's why I say that skill was not a factor in that particular combat.

Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2006 :  18:38:26  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

I highly believe Drizzt beat Errtu by skill and confidence. For if Drizzt had the best magical weapon in hand and yet no skill or confidence nor faith to wield it, Drizzt won't be able to able to beat Errtu.

But, a Scimitar +3, Frostbrand doesn't work on faith. Moreover, Drizzt didn't know what it could do until he took on Errtu and was about to be a Man On Fire. I agree, however, that it took more than just that sword to keep from getting killed outright... a demon can use more than just fire to do you in. In this case, however Drizzt's magic sword gave him the edge he needed to win (and the only edge he had in the end). Otherwise, there'd definitely be one less icon in FR, because he was clearly on his way out until he discovered that the Frostbrand was capable of defeating Errtu. Additionally, had Errtu known about the Frostbrand, things might have played much differently, cause he was clearly suprised that Drizzt could do anything but wriggle at the end of his whip. And, so was Drizzt.

quote:
Icingdeath was killed in an unfair duel as he was fighting two instead of one and I call that a one-sided fight.

Icingdeath was a dragon... and he almost won. But for a crazy throw of a hammer, Drizzt and Wulfgar would have been Scooby snacks. And that was in the days when a white dragon only had 38 hit points!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  09:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
If I wanted to see some Heroes novels in the future I'd like to see the following....

The Reign of Alusair: Basically, a post-'Dragon' Cormyr novel chronicling the Princess and her activities. I'd also insert a lot of flashbacks to her more randier days and how she became the little minx that we know her to be today. I think it'd be fun.

Thay: I'd like to see the Red Wizards have to deal with a problem on the internal level and make Thay a playable location with a thriving resistance. Perhaps we could see something like a good Red Wizard of Thay and things like that. I'm honestly of the mind that the setting could use someone like the Red Wizard from Ravenloft as a villain or aid to the heroes. Hazlan's story fits the life of a Red Wizard.

Elminster Does Evermeet: I'd personally love to see the Old Wizard on the holy land of the Elves. Also, Elminster does Haruula, Elminster does Mulhorand, Elminster does Thay, Elminster does the Abyss....and so on.

(Note, the 'does' comment is just a fun reference and not a commentary on writing style)

The Tugian Horde: A novel or two set during this would be excellent I think.

The Harper's Fall Trilogy: A sort of sequel to the Harpers series. It'd star Alias, Dragonbait, Bran Skorlson, Bronwyn, and probably the rest of the collection. Sadly, the question is figuring out who would write such a book and how to make a coherent plot that highlights everyone.

It'd obviously chronicle the split between the Harpers and perhaps we could show Fzoul/Khelban's agreement.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  10:00:39  Show Profile
quote:
The Reign of Alusair: Basically, a post-'Dragon' Cormyr novel chronicling the Princess and her activities. I'd also insert a lot of flashbacks to her more randier days and how she became the little minx that we know her to be today. I think it'd be fun.

El's Daughter showcased this quite well, IMO.

quote:
Thay: I'd like to see the Red Wizards have to deal with a problem on the internal level and make Thay a playable location with a thriving resistance. Perhaps we could see something like a good Red Wizard of Thay and things like that. I'm honestly of the mind that the setting could use someone like the Red Wizard from Ravenloft as a villain or aid to the heroes. Hazlan's story fits the life of a Red Wizard.

Richard Lee Byers is writing an upcoming trilogy dealing with Thay and undead; see the Authors upcoming FR novels thread elsewhere in this forum.

quote:

There was an entire trilogy, actually, from which the Horde plotline is taken from.

quote:

The Harper's Fall Trilogy: A sort of sequel to the Harpers series. It'd star Alias, Dragonbait, Bran Skorlson, Bronwyn, and probably the rest of the collection. Sadly, the question is figuring out who would write such a book and how to make a coherent plot that highlights everyone.

It'd obviously chronicle the split between the Harpers and perhaps we could show Fzoul/Khelban's agreement.

I believe Steven's at least going to touch on this with Blackstaff.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  10:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
I recall that, I'd like to see the Tugians revisited. I never did read that story though.

But good to know.

I read El's daughter and think that a whole novel would be more fun for Alu though.

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  12:26:45  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message
I would much more prefer a novel on giogioni wyveryspur, throw in danilo, arilyn,leariel beanre and maybe pikel bouldershoulder and perhaps volo geddarm and we can sit back and watch all hell break loose. Tymora would be pleased !
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2006 :  13:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

I would much more prefer a novel on giogioni wyveryspur, throw in danilo, arilyn,leariel beanre and maybe pikel bouldershoulder and perhaps volo geddarm and we can sit back and watch all hell break loose. Tymora would be pleased !

And who'd write that? Wyvernspur belongs to Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak; Danilo, Arilyn and Liriel belong to EC; Pikel belongs to Salvatore. Getting all four authors to collaborate would be a little ridiculous, and I don't think Salvatore has a very good grasp on characters who are not his. I'd sooner trust a fanfic writer to do it.

Besides, IMO, Pikel is best appreciated when he's unseen. More so when reduced to a bloody pulp or boiling in a vat of acid somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  03:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message
quote:
The Reign of Alusair: Basically, a post-'Dragon' Cormyr novel chronicling the Princess and her activities. I'd also insert a lot of flashbacks to her more randier days and how she became the little minx that we know her to be today. I think it'd be fun

I don't really favor reading a novel about the princess and her activities as she doesn't see to be cut out for politics.
Flashbacks? No thanks, for this would make the novel very confusing and the El in Hell novel already got my mind reeling and upside down. Essentially, there would be no smooth flow and coordination in the story with so many flashbacks here and there, flashbacks are best reduced to one or two and preferably focusing on very important events that affected the character's life or personality.

quote:

The Tuigans are an disadvantage without magic, since they are barbarians and monstrous raiders. So it would be best to make them look like one. Best to have the Tuigans transformed into bloodthirsty, pain-denying, war-enthusiastic, vengeance-eager, chaotic fighters with changes in their appearances and personality to make them look really the true monstrous villains they are. Of course, I would rather see the leader of these new monstrous Tuigans being manipulated as a puppet by an ancient Imaskari archwizard who have plans to use the monstrous horde for his ends(plots within plots)
Such an monstrous horde and plot would call for extraordinary new heroes and more modernised proffessional armies to face the villains and bring the fight to the end.

quote:

Meaning heroic harpers turning away from the harpers belief? Harpers are eleven too many so truly hard to focus on all but even so, only brief appearances are one way, best focus on old harper heroes or anybody who fought in the HarpStar Wars than the established ones, it is time to bring out the dust-covered heroes into action again and do honor to them.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 08 Apr 2006 03:50:41
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  03:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message
quote:
Elminster Does Evermeet: I'd personally love to see the Old Wizard on the holy land of the Elves. Also, Elminster does Haruula, Elminster does Mulhorand, Elminster does Thay, Elminster does the Abyss....and so on.

(Note, the 'does' comment is just a fun reference and not a commentary on writing style)

Not a very nice idea, frankly speaking. Evermeet is already suffering from internal political squabbles and Amlaruil hold over the council diminishing. The last thing Evermeet would want is the Old Mage coming in to heat up the political war in Evermeet and change Evermeet into another Myth Drannor. Who knows El might persuade the elves to teach humans High Magic as High Magic is fading from the land or allow more humans into Evermeet.
Myth Drannor was already a disaster and the politics thrown upside down with El in there before the Weeping Wars.
Evermeet is already tainted by Human influence already and I wouldn't want to see it spread further.
Afterall, Evermeet is meant for the elves by divine decree and refuge home for the elves and therefore it should be free of human influence.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 08 Apr 2006 03:59:43
Go to Top of Page

MaskedOne
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  04:09:08  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
I don't know about Evermeet but I'd love to see Elminster in Halruaa for a little while.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2006 :  04:13:05  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MaskedOne

I don't know about Evermeet but I'd love to see Elminster in Halruaa for a little while.

Nice idea, El in Halruaa to combat the growing Sharran Shadow Weave power.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000