Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Shar vs. Guardians of the Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  02:05:33  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just read the section in the Champions of valor about the organization 'Guardians of the Weave'. Surprisingly cool organization!!

I was surprised to see that it had so few members though. It only has 150ish members and they are spread out from the north to Halruaa! How does this organization actually function on any real scale? And since it says they arent a very secretive organization wouldnt evil people around the continent be targeting these meddlers?

I love that spell in the end of ChoV that destroys the shadow weave in a 10ft area! for only 50 gp and as a 3rd lvl slot.

my main question is would the clerics of shar be aware of a group of wizards etc. casting this spell on a semi-large scale?
say if a group of maybe 10 spellcasters went about casting it for a couple days, what would be the repurcussions.
how well would the followers of Shar be able to stop this?

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  02:23:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine a Shadow Weave user could repair the Shadow Weave in much that same way as a Weave user can repair a dead magic zone, with a Wish spell, for example. I guess what I see as the most practical application of that particular spell is using it to ward a temple or headquarters against Shadow Weave magic.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  02:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah... but still since it is a 3rd lvl spell (i forget exactly and didnt buy the book) it grossly outweighs how fast the shar followers could repair it...

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Arlenion
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  03:31:31  Show Profile  Visit Arlenion's Homepage Send Arlenion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the followers of Shar have a spell that is similar that serves to repair the Shadow Weave. Afterall if their goddess doesn't spend her time repairing the Shadow Weave someone would have to do so or else it would fall apart. Even so, it would still be easier to destroy part of the Shadow Weave as the dead magic zone would prevent the casting of the spell reauiring multiple castings to repair one spell's damage.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  04:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whether Shar clerics would be alerted to someone trying to destroy the shadow weave in a 10feet area, this is...well self-explanatory, I reason that surely Shar would indirectly guide her clerics to stop the arrogant and imposing Weave Guardians, if not, I am certain the Shadow Weave users would take utmost umbrage at this insult to Shar's Shadow Weave, so can expect a lot of clashes between the Guardians and the Shadow Weave users.
If the Guardians are about to damage or destroy part of the Shadow Weave, I think there would be others to stop them.

But the other side is that if the Guardians really did it, then one can expect the Shadow Weave users to unload huge arsenals of shadow weave powered weaponry especially enchanted weapons or superb necromantic or shadow magic, down on the Guardians, I would certainly and -extremely enthusiastically-welcome such a show of force, afterall the balance must be maintained. I see the Shadow Weave as the counter-balance to the Weave, as afterall, everything comes in two.

How would the Shar's followers stop it? Naturally, I would assume they would had a lot of informants here and there to eavesdrop on their foes, one weakness of the Guardians is their popularity, for their popularity can draw a lot of attention, especially from Shar's followers, so there might be possibilities that Shar's followers would follow and capture one of the Guardians for interrogation, then either brainwash him/her or kill him/her on the spot.

I reason that Shar would had backup plans for such contingencies, but just because she doesn't reveal them doesn't mean she is idly standing by or not doing anything. Shar is secretive and far-sighted, I am sure she has contingency emergency plans in place.
The spell to destroy the Shadow Weave seemed like Weave based, but according to the Magic of Faerun, for dead and wild magic zones to form for the shadow weave requires a great intensive effort like destroying the deity herself or destroying a shadow weave powered mythal, so if this occurs, I assume the area of damage to be more than 20ft. So the 10ft area dead magic zone may look small and easily corrected if attention is paid.

Something I had been wondering about, if the CoV shadow weave destroying spell is Weave based, then naturally in terms of balance, there should be a shadow weave spell to destroy the Weave as well. Shar or any Shadow Weave users may likely be out there researching on such a spell.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 24 Feb 2006 04:45:34
Go to Top of Page

The Screecher
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  06:14:20  Show Profile  Visit The Screecher's Homepage Send The Screecher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

I just read the section in the Champions of valor about the organization 'Guardians of the Weave'. Surprisingly cool organization!!

I was surprised to see that it had so few members though. It only has 150ish members and they are spread out from the north to Halruaa! How does this organization actually function on any real scale? And since it says they arent a very secretive organization wouldnt evil people around the continent be targeting these meddlers?

If I had read the book thoroughly enough, that the organization itself is likely to be self-supported and with a ready communication network, these two factors are critical to the functioning of any organization. How they function on grand scale? If the Harpers can do it, why can't they do it?

Draw evil doers attention? naturally yes, and that's the problem with popularity. The Guardian's popularity and well known name is going to cost them heavily in the long term, I am certain about this. Secondly, most evil doers especially the followers of Shar and the Shadow Weave users will be writing the Guardians on their hit list. If I am one of them, I would be planning a thousand ingenious strategies to beat the Guardians.

If the Guardians press their assaults against the Shadow Weave too much, the balance will definitely tilt in the favor of the Shadow Weave users and the Guardians will surely be beaten back. For one thing sure, Mystra does not rule over all magic despite her title as mother of all magic, things always comes in pairs, even power is divided among two.

The Shadow Weave is certainly here to stay, and can never be erased away, I am sure.

Through stealth and the shadows, what was once thought dead shall arise and strike back at those responsible.

Edited by - The Screecher on 24 Feb 2006 06:15:49
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  18:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Shadow Weave is certainly here to stay...
Not in my Realms, cynical pandering to 'Mystra's too powerful' discharge as it is.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  18:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
The Shadow Weave is certainly here to stay...
Not in my Realms, cynical pandering to 'Mystra's too powerful' discharge as it is.

I like your take on the matter (I mean that). :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  18:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't feel like in this case having two sides in sustainable... seeing as they cause dire side-effects when they interact. Therefore in my Realms there will be a vast movement to eliminate the shadow weave and its users once more people understand what it is and its consequences.

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  19:02:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even though the Shadovar increased the number, the actual number of Shadow Weave users should indeed by fairly small compared to Weave users. Its been a slowly increasing group. So I'm not sure there would be a ton of shadow weave users on had to attack the Guardians of the Weave. I would say the most organized resistance you are going to get might be the Shadovar. Then again, I love to picture a band of Shadovar raiders flying in to attack Guardians of the Weave riding their Veserabs.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  01:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps different DMs may have different opinions on whether the Shadow Weave is to stay, but I certainly feel that the Shadow Weave cannot be so easily chucked into the basket that easily.

Well, I estimate that The Shadovar and Monks of the Dark Moon would be the among first front line defenders of the Shadow Weave, Shar would be the last line of defense(the most potent weapon always get to be the reserve). Though the Shadow Weave users may be small and sluggishly increasing, I certainly believe that one day, there would be an approximate balanced number of Shadow Weave and Weave users and that may mean the vast number of Weave users would be balanced by an approximate equal number of Shadow Weave users. So this is certainly going to be bad news for the Guardians, if the Guardians can have allies from the faiths of the light and Mystra's faithful, the Shadow Weave users very likely are to have a approximate equal number of allies to back them up.
The Guardians likely had got themselves into a unending cycle of fights and revenge by provoking the Shadow Weave users.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  01:57:51  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though the Guardians presence is a good thing, I just view them as defenders of the Weave and keep the Weave from sustaining too much damage, they do not really have the power to erase the Shadow Weave and Shar from existence unless they are Lord Ao himself.

IMO, without the Shadow Weave, Mystra and the Weave would become stagnant. So the Shadow Weave is a good thing too, it balances the Weave and keeps Mystra and the Weave users from becoming too arrogant and too "omnipotent" in their belief that magic is absolute under the Mystra's command.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  04:10:58  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

Though the Guardians presence is a good thing, I just view them as defenders of the Weave and keep the Weave from sustaining too much damage, they do not really have the power to erase the Shadow Weave and Shar from existence unless they are Lord Ao himself.

true.. i mean when i raised the thing about destroying large segments of the shadow weave i guess i had not imagined it at any grand scalde at all

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  10:22:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silvermage

IMO, without the Shadow Weave, Mystra and the Weave would become stagnant. So the Shadow Weave is a good thing too, it balances the Weave and keeps Mystra and the Weave users from becoming too arrogant and too "omnipotent" in their belief that magic is absolute under the Mystra's command.

Mystra is planning to absorb the shadow weave into herself, which would make her lean more towards neutral. So the shadow weave is here to stay, but not in its present form.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  12:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystra absorbs the Shadow Weave? This would ring a lot of alarm bells in my mind. First, I had been wondering that since raw shadow weave energies and raw weave energies clashes with each other with disastrous results, how will this affect Mystra who seemed interwined with the Weave and what would happen to Shar who seemed interwined with the Shadow Weave, we all know Mystra is the embodiment of the Weave, so the question is what will happen to Mystra and Shar?
Yes, I agree that if Mystra absorbs the Shadow Weave, she will lean to neutral, but what will happen to Shar? Many possibilities, a weakened Shar? I doubt Shar would stand for it. A dead Shar? Then Selune is stagnant already.

Go to Top of Page

Sir Vengeance
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  12:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Sir Vengeance's Homepage Send Sir Vengeance a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Mystra absorbing the Shadow Weave had been debated hotly and Shadovar's right, what will happen to Shar if her Shadow Weave had been robbed by Mystra.

In my humble opinion, the Shadow Weave is the opposite of the Weave and as much as the Weave is the opposite of the Shadow Weave. I anticipate disastrous consequences for Mystra if she were to go ahead with taking in the Shadow Weave, it is like getting more than what she bargained for. Let's hope Lord Ao would intervene in this ugly fight between Mystra and Shar, and maintain the balance as Lord Ao truly wants to see it as.

Ha, I am looking forward to the creation of the Third Weave.

Vengeance is justified on righteous grounds, for righteous vengeance cannot be denied by anybody.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  15:58:21  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
spellfire (mystra's creation) can absorb shadow weave effects... so I don't see a problem with mystra taking the shadow weave...
though why should would want to and how she would approach this is beyond me!

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:32:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

spellfire (mystra's creation) can absorb shadow weave effects... so I don't see a problem with mystra taking the shadow weave...
though why should would want to and how she would approach this is beyond me!

Why should she want to? Why not? Shadow Weave magic is a threat to regular practitioners of magic, it's a form of magic that Mystra doesn't control, and it's in the hands of someone who not only hates Mystra, but wants to unmake all of existence. Those are some good reasons for Mystra to want to take over the Shadow Weave.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  18:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well i think she would find it abhorent
so she would not support it but i dont think shes a scheming godesss worried about control and power..

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  19:36:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

well i think she would find it abhorent
so she would not support it but i dont think shes a scheming godesss worried about control and power..

She likely does find it abhorrent... But scheming or not, worried about power or not, Shar is an enemy of hers. Shar created the Shadow Weave as a way to get some power that would otherwise be Mystra's -- thus, it can be used against her. And Shar wants to destroy everything. Even if you're a pacifist, you don't leave a powerful weapon like that in the hands of an enemy who literally wants to destroy the world.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Mar 2006 19:40:24
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  04:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i feel like mystra would let other deities do something about it... the shadow weave is flawed and a lesser replication of her beautiful creation. in my campaign at least she wouldnt be so petty as to venge after shar

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  04:42:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i feel like mystra would let other deities do something about it... the shadow weave is flawed and a lesser replication of her beautiful creation. in my campaign at least she wouldnt be so petty as to venge after shar

Protecting yourself against someone who wants to destroy everything, and is using something that should be yours to further this goal, is not petty.

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont think the shadow weave should be mystras. I dont think mystra sees it as being very much related to her. its like a weaker version of what she created. shar and mystra dont have much association besides this so i feel like she would be more relaxed about the issue.

EDIT: I mean her main goal is to take care of the weave. she is not concerned about monopolizing the magic industry!
the thing mystra would ahte is how their systems are incompatible and how the users of the shadow weave are evil

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 02 Mar 2006 16:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  17:40:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i dont think the shadow weave should be mystras. I dont think mystra sees it as being very much related to her. its like a weaker version of what she created. shar and mystra dont have much association besides this so i feel like she would be more relaxed about the issue.

EDIT: I mean her main goal is to take care of the weave. she is not concerned about monopolizing the magic industry!
the thing mystra would ahte is how their systems are incompatible and how the users of the shadow weave are evil

It's magic. Magic is Mystra's area. The Shadow Weave is cutting into her territory. She would not be relaxed about someone who wants utter destruction using what should be hers as a tool.

Monopolizing? A deity controls a portfolio, and they gain strength from that. If someone has a portfolio that cuts into yours, then you are losing strength to them. It's not about having a monopoly -- it's about having control over that which is rightfully and truly yours.

You mention that Mystra would hate the Shadow Weave, because it's users are evil... Well, what is one thing evil mages are known for? The use of destructive magic. They're also known for hoarding magic, rather than sharing it freely. Both of these are things Mystra hates and opposes -- meaning she would oppose the Shadow Weave. Also, the Shadow Weave is a shadow of her Weave, and its users are dangerous to the users of her Weave. That's more reason for her to try to oppose it.

Lastly, Shar desires the destruction of everything -- literally. She wants to return to how things were: no sun, no planets, no stars, no people. Shar's goals are a threat to every deity in the Realms. She's using the Shadow Weave as a tool to work towards her goal of the obliteration of everything. That right there is another reason for Mystra to want to take the Shadow Weave from Shar -- to protect herself, her followers, and all of Realmspace.

I'm not saying Mystra wants the Shadow Weave to monopolize magic, or to use it as a tool, or to gain power for herself. She would want it simply to make sure it wasn't misused or used against her.

To use a real-world analogy... If I invent an automatic pistol, then I have the right to license its use as I want. If Bob makes a lesser version of my automatic -- maybe it doesn't shoot as far, and isn't as powerful -- then he is cutting into my business. Bob's gun may not be the equal of mine, but it is still dangerous. And since Bob wants to kill everyone, he is a threat so long as he has that gun. Even if I don't care about his gun, it is in my best interest to take that gun away from him.

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  02:45:09  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a slippery slope. Within the main pantheon, Mystra/Mistryl's domain has been magic. With her permission some gods have specialized in aspects of it (Velsharoon and Savras for example). Shar, on the other hand, did not ask permission but instead created a dark and twisted parody of the weave and claimed it as her own.

There's no way that Mystra couldn't be both apalled and offended. If she did nothing to destroy the shadow weave or to make it her own, she'd be opening the door to other gods doing something similar and showing weakness. As it stands, every day that goes by with the shadow-weave under Shar's control, Mystra loses face. She loses potential followers to the shadow weave and demonstrates her impotence to put an end to Shar's game.

Say what you want about the gods in terms of alignments and such, but the two things the successful ones are really good at is accumulating power and holding onto it. This Mystra hasn't had to do as much in terms of accumulating her power, but the shadow weave is a definite test of how well she can hold it. She can't afford to write off its creation or existence.

Edited by - Sarta on 03 Mar 2006 02:46:33
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  04:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that Shar wishes to erase everything from existence, in my dictionary, everything may include the Weave as well. As we all know, the Weave and Mystryl resulted from the fusion of portions of magic from the two ancient goddesses. I believe that Shar maintained some power of magic of her own even after a portion of it had been taken away, and because her ancient strength had been much preserved, she was able to fabricate shadow weave out. As her nature is opposite of Selune, the Shadow Weave was created as a corrupt, opposite of the Weave. if everything are to fall back into nothingness which Shar wants, then there must be something to counter the Weave so that everything falls back into nothingness, like "1+(-1)=0".
One question, if Mystra holds the portfolio of magic, and yet Shar holds the Shadow Weave which magic is not under Shar's portfolio, so why didn't Lord Ao step in to maintain the balance and maintain order? Or say something like "this is not yours, this is hers"
Secondly, I doubt the other gods had the power to create their personal weaves, as first, they are sort of like "secon-generation" gods, most arose from the fights and spats between the two ancient goddesses, so they are sort of "specific, not whole and original but a single fragment piece". Also, creating another weave of their own would likely divert much of their power and attention from their followers and daily activities, something the intermediate and lesser gods cannot afford and even the other greater ones may not afford as well.
Also, Mystra is a bit well arrogant, not that I am offensive. The mortals have the right to choose Shar's or Mystra's Weave, and the decision is in the mortals' hands to decide whose Weave they wish to use and patronize, by trying to erase the Shadow Weave, Mystra is indirectly and essentially removing the freedom of choice from the mortals' hands, which is a bit too much for a goddess. Surely, every god must understand that mortals have the right to choose who to worship. And this is no good news for those who cannot wield Weave magic but yet wants to wield magic again. Furthermore, she is not losing worshippers either, she already had millions already. Also, I feel that if magic like everything has a beginning, and must have an end, so this Mystra must understand this, like how Helm knows his duty is not a fabulous one as he knew he would be watching the ending of the world and yet accepts it with stoicism.

Furthermore, I think Mystra is walking into a trap laid by Shar, or is simply taking on more than what she can take.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  06:18:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

One question, if Mystra holds the portfolio of magic, and yet Shar holds the Shadow Weave which magic is not under Shar's portfolio, so why didn't Lord Ao step in to maintain the balance and maintain order? Or say something like "this is not yours, this is hers"

He's likely watching to see if things iron themselves out. Besides, I don't think things are knocked out of balance by a deity taking as a portfolio a single aspect of another portfolio... Besides, Shar is dark spaces, and the Shadow Weave is dark spaces within the Weave...

quote:

Secondly, I doubt the other gods had the power to create their personal weaves, as first, they are sort of like "secon-generation" gods, most arose from the fights and spats between the two ancient goddesses, so they are sort of "specific, not whole and original but a single fragment piece". Also, creating another weave of their own would likely divert much of their power and attention from their followers and daily activities, something the intermediate and lesser gods cannot afford and even the other greater ones may not afford as well.

It is specifically stated, in more than one place, that Shar created the Shadow Weave. She, at least, was able to create her own weave.

quote:

Also, Mystra is a bit well arrogant, not that I am offensive. The mortals have the right to choose Shar's or Mystra's Weave, and the decision is in the mortals' hands to decide whose Weave they wish to use and patronize, by trying to erase the Shadow Weave, Mystra is indirectly and essentially removing the freedom of choice from the mortals' hands, which is a bit too much for a goddess. Surely, every god must understand that mortals have the right to choose who to worship. And this is no good news for those who cannot wield Weave magic but yet wants to wield magic again. Furthermore, she is not losing worshippers either, she already had millions already. Also, I feel that if magic like everything has a beginning, and must have an end, so this Mystra must understand this, like how Helm knows his duty is not a fabulous one as he knew he would be watching the ending of the world and yet accepts it with stoicism.

Okay... Where did we say Mystra was going to destroy the Shadow Weave? All I was discussing was her trying to take it away from Shar.

quote:

Furthermore, I think Mystra is walking into a trap laid by Shar, or is simply taking on more than what she can take.

Mystra is the most powerful goddess in the Realms. It's doubtful that Shar could trap her, or that she could take on more than she can chew...

And it's all kind of a moot point, anyway. While we have been discussing Mystra trying to take the Shadow Weave away from Shar, I can't think of a single bit of canon Realmslore that says she is actually trying to do so.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Mar 2006 06:20:49
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  03:25:46  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
has anyone heard anything about what Mr Kemp's next trilogy will consist or focus on. My thoughts were that it would be the next chapter in the Cale trilogy, but also conclude EC's return of the archmages trilogy. Any thoughts? Mine are that it would provide additional info regarding the shadow weave, Cale, and the continued existance of the city of shade.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  04:32:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

has anyone heard anything about what Mr Kemp's next trilogy will consist or focus on. My thoughts were that it would be the next chapter in the Cale trilogy, but also conclude EC's return of the archmages trilogy. Any thoughts? Mine are that it would provide additional info regarding the shadow weave, Cale, and the continued existance of the city of shade.

Troy Denning was the author of the RotA trilogy. While I have liked some of his books, that trilogy does not appear on the "liked it" list. Personally, I hope the trilogy is never touched again -- I couldn't stand it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Mar 2006 04:32:49
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  05:01:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by scererar

Troy Denning was the author of the RotA trilogy. While I have liked some of his books, that trilogy does not appear on the "liked it" list. Personally, I hope the trilogy is never touched again -- I couldn't stand it.

you are correct Wooly, that is twice you got me today, once before the coffee and now at the end of an exhausting week. My apologies for not quoting the correct author. Scererar bows his head and runs off to study his library of realms lore.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  06:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And it's all kind of a moot point, anyway. While we have been discussing Mystra trying to take the Shadow Weave away from Shar, I can't think of a single bit of canon Realmslore that says she is actually trying to do so.

i dont want to bring this up again bc i think we agree to disagree.. but this is a large part of why i feel its not very important to her... wish i said this first!

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000