Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anyone know of a good PrC for a Psychopath?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Im trying to create a Hanibal Lector/Charles Manson type villian does anyone think of a good PrC for that sort of villian?

The Villian wont be a spellcaster and will probably be have levels of thief

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  02:10:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not a clue for a PrC... But I'd say that the mental instability would grant bonuses against mind-influencing and mind-reading magics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  02:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside of the PrC Im probably going to give him the Touch of Benevolence and Snatch Trophy (He cuts out the tongues of his victims so a Speak with dead spell wont work) feats from CoR

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  02:34:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have the Book of Vile Darkness? Warrior of Darkness might work for this. Its a warrior dedicated to doing evil, they scar themselves up and learn how to make alchemical substances to grant them vile abilities. So they aren't spellcasters, but they are more intelligent destructive types.

Also, they don't strike me as mastermind types, but when I used a Black Blood Cultist in my game, the guy was more devestating to the players than the Black Blood Hunter that he worshipped.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  11:10:34  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Book of Vile Darkness is your best option by far :)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Book of Vile Darkness is your best option by far :)

Yep; outside of maybe the ravager from CW, I can't think of anything better. I thought there was something in Heroes of Horror, but it turned out to be a template(tainted raver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  13:36:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im trying to create a Hanibal Lector/Charles Manson type villian does anyone think of a good PrC for that sort of villian?

The Villian wont be a spellcaster and will probably be have levels of thief

Hmmm... I seem to remember a "Terror Technician" PrC, based on a Lector-type character, detailed in one of the 3e RL tomes... I'll have to take a look for it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Feb 2006 13:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  15:00:27  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mostly Mental Derangement is handled in game mechanics by decreasing several points from wisdom... the rest is roleplaying and picking skills & feats apropriate to the character.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  23:09:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Do you have the Book of Vile Darkness? Warrior of Darkness might work for this. Its a warrior dedicated to doing evil, they scar themselves up and learn how to make alchemical substances to grant them vile abilities. So they aren't spellcasters, but they are more intelligent destructive types.

Also, they don't strike me as mastermind types, but when I used a Black Blood Cultist in my game, the guy was more devestating to the players than the Black Blood Hunter that he worshipped.

I had a look at Warrior of Darkness PrC but its not what Im looking for its seems to be a bit to obvious (Ritual scaring etc) and combat focused

I dont want the villian to be obviously evil. Im aiming for the sort of villian where when the law finally catches up with him his neighbours all say "He was such a nice person, kept to himself most of the time never caused any problems"

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  23:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen the ghostwalker prestige class in Sword and Fist?
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  10:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange as it sounds, I could see warping the Assassin class around that theory. I mean, an assassin doesn't /have/ to be the cold, calculating, emotionless killer we're used to seeing in fiction. The skills the class provides are the same kind of skills a truly sick lunatic could develop to hide his handiwork, while still reveling in the perversity of his 'art'.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Unski
Acolyte

Finland
12 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  09:53:59  Show Profile  Visit Unski's Homepage Send Unski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, if an NPC becomes too difficult to create, you should go gestalt and forget about classes.

Scanning through different d20 products might be useful, since fantasy rarely has "psychopaths", it has "dark villains" who are corrupted by evil, hate and so on. Not madness or pure insanity - perhaps Cthulhu d20 could help you here?

And that be the end of that story.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000