Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Advanced Bestiary's Jotunblood in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  06:05:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After looking through Giantcraft and reading about how the older giants in the Realms were longer lived because they were all the offspring of Othea and Annam, and so had the blood of gods in thier veins, and that as the blood diluted over the years, their age has tapered off.

The Green Ronin d20 book has a template, Jotunblood, which makes a giant a size category larger than it was, and gives them various special abilities based on their giant type. I was thinking that some giants might have enough of Annam's blood to be born as this "jotunblood" template. Does anyone think having the occaisional "throwback" larger, more powerful giant would cause problems?

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  09:29:20  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally don't see any major problems as long as they are quite rare. But without actually seeing the material, its really hard to say.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  12:56:14  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main crux of it is that they move up one size category, they gain a few hit dice and an armor class bonus, and they gain some kind of bonus attack based on what kind of giant they are. For example, Hill giants get a stomp attack, frost and fire giants get a breath weapon, all of them get a trample attack in addition to their normal attack routine.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  14:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

After looking through Giantcraft and reading about how the older giants in the Realms were longer lived because they were all the offspring of Othea and Annam, and so had the blood of gods in thier veins, and that as the blood diluted over the years, their age has tapered off.

The Green Ronin d20 book has a template, Jotunblood, which makes a giant a size category larger than it was, and gives them various special abilities based on their giant type. I was thinking that some giants might have enough of Annam's blood to be born as this "jotunblood" template. Does anyone think having the occaisional "throwback" larger, more powerful giant would cause problems?

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that template. Which is also why I think it's a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  14:09:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love giants, and that template just jumped out at me. It was a pretty good idea, and I can't wait until my player's actually have characters that have a shot at dealing with one of these things. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of previous info on giants that have "purer" strains of Annam's blood.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  15:34:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So long as the guys with the template are rare, I don't see a problem with incorporating it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  15:46:35  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another template I've used from GR is the Dread Vampire (like a vampire on steriods) for that extra bit of oomph. It has become one of my favorite monster books.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  06:51:48  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So long as the guys with the template are rare, I don't see a problem with incorporating it.

Agreed.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000