Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Accuracy of Maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  15:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been having a chat with Lysander (and also looking at various maps) about travelling times for our party, and it seems the distances of maps keep changing

For example the FRCS map of the Dalelands shows the distance between shadowdale and ashabenford (along the river) to be roughly 45 miles. However other maps show it to be around 80 or so.

Recently checking out the map (stamped with the official wotc) displayed on the wikipedia site brought up in another scroll, this agrees with Lysanders estimates of around 80 miles.

Even more of a problem comes when using volos guide to the dalelands to estimate travelling time between two towns, espcially when they cross a dale border, where the maps don't seem to join up correctly.

Currently I'm quite lost and don't know what to believe, can anyone suggest which is the 'most' official maps to use

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  15:43:33  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One major map problem is the map in the beginning of Canticle compared to the that region on the FRCS poster map

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  15:46:15  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the FRCS came out, WOTC contracted the continent down, by about a 1/3 or perhaps more. This may be the issue that you are having right now, because if you are looking at maps from before 3rd edition, the continent was much larger.

Erlkazar was seriously squished during the contraction. (The region referred to in Canticle)
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  15:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats pretty stupid , thanks for the info though, guess I'll just have to stick to 3rd ed stuff, although it means so far that my party has been travelling around a seriously warped Dalelands
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:05:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They also shifted the continent northwest when they changed the map, and so some places switched rivers, some other lands features just up and disappeared, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why did they do that?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  17:54:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Why did they do that?

They felt that there was to much open space, plus removing those spaces allowed them to fit it onto a single paper map. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  18:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would use the pre-3E maps, Kaladorm, which are more plentiful and truer to the Realms. The VGD maps do match up with only minor discrepancies (I've played with assembling them in Photoshop).
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  19:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In that case I hear there is some sort of program with all the detailed maps of faerun on? If someone knows of it I'd greatly appreciate if they could tell me about it, since I'd prefer my map of the realms to be as consistent as possible :)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  20:04:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlus, but good luck finding it for less then 50 bucks since it's long out of print software. :)

Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  00:09:41  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

I think that it is long past time for a new full size color map of the Realm’s to be printed for those of us who do not own the one from dragon magazine printed all those years ago would surly buy it. Some parts of that map are no longer available, and the interactive atlas can be difficult to find, and frankly I prefer a good paper map. I have many of the previously published maps of the realm’s both electronic and otherwise and I think a new large map of the Realms would be nice. The new fans need this.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:05:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Erlkazar was seriously squished during the contraction. (The region referred to in Canticle)
I prefer using the older maps also... as they have a sense of "Forgotten-ness" about them.

As for the 3e maps... Erlkazar was one of the "realms" to experience changes in location between editions. I'll let Steven explain -

"Re: places: a novel free zone erlkazar
No, it's still there, whether or not it gets acknowledged on the map or in the Lands of Intrigue listing in the FRCS.
At least it's still there in my mind. ;) They just crunched it all into smaller space (and I wasn't around or paying attention when they did this with the main maps of Faerun, so I don't even know the logic or explanation behind the changes).
Just remember that world maps for our own world changed multitudinous times over the centuries, so I'd say use whatever maps make you happiest with the Realms and be done with the rest.
Steven It is never too late to be what you might have been. (George Elliot/Mary Ann Evans)"

When I do have to use 3e maps though... I always recall these words from Steven (again ) about their "poor" detailing -

"Chalk it up to Sembian mapmakers or something to overlook their existence, that's all."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:06:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

They also shifted the continent northwest when they changed the map, and so some places switched rivers, some other lands features just up and disappeared, etc.

Indeed. We saw that a lot of the "unrequired" regions suffered a cut from the new maps in 3e .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  01:07:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firhyanda

Greetings

I think that it is long past time for a new full size color map of the Realm’s to be printed for those of us who do not own the one from dragon magazine printed all those years ago would surly buy it. Some parts of that map are no longer available, and the interactive atlas can be difficult to find, and frankly I prefer a good paper map. I have many of the previously published maps of the realm’s both electronic and otherwise and I think a new large map of the Realms would be nice. The new fans need this.

While I do agree with you, the FRCS, with its full-color map, should still be readily available.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  11:10:15  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They even have a road passing through the Misty Vale, where the wild elves supposedly kill all tresspassers.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  22:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

The Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlus, but good luck finding it for less then 50 bucks since it's long out of print software. :)

I believe this is a good point to say: I got the Atlas, I got the Atlas.

The last time I DM'ed, someone invested heavily (as they could try to, later, when they realized what the gig was) in Profession (mapmaker). Y'see, I DM off of the 1E/2E maps, and when players buy or ask me for maps, most of the time they'll get a 3E map.

Player: "Are we there yet?"
Me: "No."
PL: "..."
Me: "Hm?"

PL: "Are we there yet?"
PL: Grumbles

PL: "Are we there yet?"
PL: More Grumbles

PL: "Are we there yet?!?!"
PL2: "Dammit, this map is *%#@ED!"

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D

Edited by - Lysander on 23 Feb 2006 22:19:32
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  23:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I would use the pre-3E maps, Kaladorm, which are more plentiful and truer to the Realms. The VGD maps do match up with only minor discrepancies (I've played with assembling them in Photoshop).

Agreed, I decided I like the older maps better. :)

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  20:37:23  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Why did they do that?

http://www.candlekeep.com/fr_faq.htm#_Toc16090533
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  21:43:09  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So all this nonsense was for the sake of an attractive poster?
I'm going to stop here before i write something profane
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  21:54:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if it was an attack, your profane bonus would stack with your base attack bonus . . .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2006 :  21:59:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its hard to say if the current "version" of the maps will survive if there are indeed future editions. My main concern is that nothing major as far as cities or the like are gotten rid of. I think Erlkazar is the closest thing we had to the map contraction actually eliminating Realmslore.

I keep using the maps from the old products like the Volo's Guides, and there have only been a few times that my players have whipped out the 3rd edition map to make their plans. I haven't specifically told them that they are wrong for doing it, since I kinda figure its a representation of what the PCs, not experts in cartography, might actually know.

But boy would they have been surprised at how long a walk they would have had getting back from Silverymoon to Ashabenford if they had actually trusted the map and not hired a mage to teleport them to the Marsh of Tun.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  20:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also like to point out discrepency within 3rd Edition in the same book! The FRCS fold out map and the maps within the book (page 117 specifically) are drawn to show different distances between various cities.

I think my party noticed this when they were traveling from Sembia to Shadowdale and the two maps, from the same book, were not even close in regards to distance.

It's really quite pathetic in my opinion that something like that can happen. From edition to edition and book to book is one thing, but screwing printing contradictions within the same book is inexcusable.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  21:30:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I would also like to point out discrepency within 3rd Edition in the same book! The FRCS fold out map and the maps within the book (page 117 specifically) are drawn to show different distances between various cities.

I think my party noticed this when they were traveling from Sembia to Shadowdale and the two maps, from the same book, were not even close in regards to distance.

It's really quite pathetic in my opinion that something like that can happen. From edition to edition and book to book is one thing, but screwing printing contradictions within the same book is inexcusable.

Furthermore the compass rose in the FRCS is upside down. :) North points south, and vice versa. I'm talking about the map on page 231.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000