Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yarting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  19:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I was looking for a classical guitar instrument as a change from the lutes/lyres in the Realms, and according to our beloved FRCS page 22, the yarting is a guitar used in Faerun. But what type of guitar is it closest to? As it's Calishite, something makes me want to think it's close to an oud, the Arabic proto-acoustic guitar. But then again, Tethyr is right next to Calimshan, so its pseudo-Spanish culture makes me think again.

What I'm looking for is a Faerunian equivalent to the flamenco guitar, in particular. I would think that Tethyr or more likely Turmish would have a closely-related instrument, but I'm just going on hunches and any ideas or leads would be appreciated.

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  20:17:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sceptical of the FRCS's note that yartings are 'growing in popularity after coming out of Amn and Calimshan some time in the past forty or fifty years', since it's a traditional symbol of Oghma.

But other than a reference in FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds to yartings, or one particular yarting, being eight-stringed, we don't know what kind of guitar yartings are like. I would either make it whatever you prefer, or ask Ed on his thread.

I have to also say that Steven Schend using some Spanish/Moorish influence in developing Amn and Tethyr doesn't make them pseudo-Spanish; don't expect the official Realms to have pseudo-flamenco.

Edited by - Faraer on 07 Jan 2006 20:19:28
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  22:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I have to also say that Steven Schend using some Spanish/Moorish influence in developing Amn and Tethyr doesn't make them pseudo-Spanish; don't expect the official Realms to have pseudo-flamenco.

Well I knew that they're not copies of Spain and flamenco, but they're somewhat comparable, ala Chessenta and Ancient Greece.

I suppose I didn't quite properly word my desire- I was looking for an instrument that sounded like the two guitars I mentioned. Obviously I'd have to be quite silly if I asked where I could find a flamenco troupe and their instruments in Faerun.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000