Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yarting?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aquanova Posted - 07 Jan 2006 : 19:29:25
So I was looking for a classical guitar instrument as a change from the lutes/lyres in the Realms, and according to our beloved FRCS page 22, the yarting is a guitar used in Faerun. But what type of guitar is it closest to? As it's Calishite, something makes me want to think it's close to an oud, the Arabic proto-acoustic guitar. But then again, Tethyr is right next to Calimshan, so its pseudo-Spanish culture makes me think again.

What I'm looking for is a Faerunian equivalent to the flamenco guitar, in particular. I would think that Tethyr or more likely Turmish would have a closely-related instrument, but I'm just going on hunches and any ideas or leads would be appreciated.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aquanova Posted - 07 Jan 2006 : 22:38:52
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I have to also say that Steven Schend using some Spanish/Moorish influence in developing Amn and Tethyr doesn't make them pseudo-Spanish; don't expect the official Realms to have pseudo-flamenco.

Well I knew that they're not copies of Spain and flamenco, but they're somewhat comparable, ala Chessenta and Ancient Greece.

I suppose I didn't quite properly word my desire- I was looking for an instrument that sounded like the two guitars I mentioned. Obviously I'd have to be quite silly if I asked where I could find a flamenco troupe and their instruments in Faerun.
Faraer Posted - 07 Jan 2006 : 20:17:16
I'm sceptical of the FRCS's note that yartings are 'growing in popularity after coming out of Amn and Calimshan some time in the past forty or fifty years', since it's a traditional symbol of Oghma.

But other than a reference in FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds to yartings, or one particular yarting, being eight-stringed, we don't know what kind of guitar yartings are like. I would either make it whatever you prefer, or ask Ed on his thread.

I have to also say that Steven Schend using some Spanish/Moorish influence in developing Amn and Tethyr doesn't make them pseudo-Spanish; don't expect the official Realms to have pseudo-flamenco.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000