Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Racial names for themselves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  16:31:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, we know that elves refer to themselves as various forms of Tel Ques depending on the race, and that halfings refer to themselves as hin. While dwarves call themselves the Stout Folk, or the Bearded Folk, do they have a dwarven word for these terms? Do gnomes have a particular racial name for themselves, or do they like being called gnomes? And what about the various humanoids? Just wondering if anyone had noticed any word on such topics.

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  19:04:29  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the harper novel, The soldiers of ice, the gnomes are called the Vani. I am not sure if that is a tribal name or if thay refer to their race as that.

And of course the deep gnomes being called Svirfneblin.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  20:30:28  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In one of Ed's reply he mentioned (among other things) that the orcs refer to themselves as "The Mighty."

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  21:42:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I'll have to see if there is any Realmsian translations of "The Mighty" in orcish.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2006 :  22:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no word for 'dwarf' in FR11's dwarvish lexicon, and with few dwarvish words published elsewhere I doubt that we know one. 'Stout Folk' is more others' name for dwarves than what they call themselves.

'The Mighty' is from Polyhedron #74, a passage I posted to Ed's thread a while back. I doubt we know enough orcish to translate it.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  02:19:45  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Sons of Grummsh in the "ready-to-use orc battle cries" sidebar two of the phrases are as follows:

Taste orc steel worms = Draakh tuu, mauthaug

Feed them to the maggots = Kraavak mauthaug-vah

Using some extrapolation here, mauthaug, I would assume is equivalent to worm or maggot, as it is a similar word showing up in both phrases. I would be tempted to assume that Draakh is orc in orcish, or perhaps "The Mighty," since Tuu just doesn't strike my fancy, but I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000