Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pyramids under Ascore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  15:33:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually, FR5 The Savage Frontier is still available as a freebie from the Wizards downloads page.

Thanks for that, Wooly! I can't remember the last time I went there, as I got tired of waiting for the contents to change up. I'd love to have PDFs of Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons... but obtaining them legally without scanning them from my own hard copies (which are nowhere near me right now) may no longer be an option.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  15:56:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Actually, FR5 The Savage Frontier is still available as a freebie from the Wizards downloads page.

Thanks for that, Wooly! I can't remember the last time I went there, as I got tired of waiting for the contents to change up. I'd love to have PDFs of Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons... but obtaining them legally without scanning them from my own hard copies (which are nowhere near me right now) may no longer be an option.

I don't recall which one of the three deity books it was, off the top of my head, but I can say that the scan quality on one of them rather sucked. Those were some of the first pdfs I purchased.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2009 :  03:09:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I have all of those. Gotta love Noble knight.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  05:52:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning to topic... I found this reference in my comprehensive Realms timeline (a continual WIP, even with nothing new coming from Wizbro in the last year-plus that's going to come anywhere near it), and I was wondering if it could have anything to do with those pyramids...

quote:
c.-700 Something dark and evil takes up residence or is trapped in the ancient ruins of Ascore.

I wish I could remember the source... I didn't record sources when I put the timeline together, and now I'm wishing I had... I guess I'll have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch when I finally get the rest of my Realmslore under my own roof again.

Edit: I found the source, and it's dubious with respect to canon, simply because the timeframe they propose is before the Year of Sundered Webs, and therefore before Ascore falls into ruin, which means it can hardly be "ancient ruins" at that point. Oh well... that explains why my timeline had a different date for the event. Source: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_br05.html

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 28 Jul 2009 06:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  07:02:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Returning to topic... I found this reference in my comprehensive Realms timeline (a continual WIP, even with nothing new coming from Wizbro in the last year-plus that's going to come anywhere near it), and I was wondering if it could have anything to do with those pyramids...

quote:
c.-700 Something dark and evil takes up residence or is trapped in the ancient ruins of Ascore.

I wish I could remember the source... I didn't record sources when I put the timeline together, and now I'm wishing I had... I guess I'll have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch when I finally get the rest of my Realmslore under my own roof again.

Edit: I found the source, and it's dubious with respect to canon, simply because the timeframe they propose is before the Year of Sundered Webs, and therefore before Ascore falls into ruin, which means it can hardly be "ancient ruins" at that point. Oh well... that explains why my timeline had a different date for the event. Source: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_br05.html

It's canon. Page 40 of FR5 The Savage North, which describes (in passing) those pyramids:

quote:
Whatever, something evil lurks in Ascore, something that has been here for 2,000 years... waiting.

1350ish, minus 2000, is -650ish. Not an exact date, but with two millenia, rounding errors are bound to occur.

Other than the ruins part, there's no problem. And the evil is now in the ruins, so it's not entirely inaccurate.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Jul 2009 07:04:47
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14549 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  15:52:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

THIS is THE most important lesson I had to learn about doing Realms research... and it was a hard one.

After I was about 90% done with my last version of the maps, there were tons of locales and I had no idea where they came from - I was adding them to the map as I found them. I am currently going back through EVERYTHING I read to re-find them all.

Fortunately, re-reading Realmslore isn't really a chore.

Take notes on everything - even novels. It will drive you nuts six months later when someone calls you to task on something, and you have no clue where you read it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  06:46:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's canon. Page 40 of FR5 The Savage North, which describes (in passing) those pyramids:

quote:
Whatever, something evil lurks in Ascore, something that has been here for 2,000 years... waiting.

1350ish, minus 2000, is -650ish. Not an exact date, but with two millenia, rounding errors are bound to occur.

Other than the ruins part, there's no problem. And the evil is now in the ruins, so it's not entirely inaccurate.

Thanks Wooly... I'll have to re-read FR5 now... fortunately, I have the PDF... unfortunately, I hate reading scanned documents from the computer. I guess I'll have to suck it up... oh, and Wooly... FR5 is titled "The Savage Frontier"

On another note, this ancient evil in Ascore is the perfect subject for... yes, that's right... my 666th post! Six hundred, three score, and half a dozen posts ago, I joined Candlekeep. Anyway, that's all I've got for this post. This summer is freakishly hot here in the Pacific Southwest of Canada, and it's too hot to sleep and too hot to think... hrm... another reference to the post number, methinks...

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Jul 2009 06:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  07:09:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh, and Wooly... FR5 is titled "The Savage Frontier"

Oops!

I could pull a Sage and go back and correct myself, but I'm honest enough to admit to my mistakes.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2009 07:09:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  07:22:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

oh, and Wooly... FR5 is titled "The Savage Frontier"

Oops!

I could pull a Sage and go back and correct myself, but I'm honest enough to admit to my mistakes.

Can you prove that?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  18:05:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... let's try, one more time, to get (and keep) this scroll back on topic... are there any other theories regarding these pyramids? The only "thirteens" I can associate with the thirteen pyramids are the Shadevari (which Krash has officially debunked as not the possible canon explanation he has hiding on his hard drive) and the Skulls of Skullport, which (even though they are Netherese in origin) seem altogether too far removed geographically... if these pyramids were somewhere in Undermountain, even if not on Level 3, I'd declare that theory correct here and now.

What if they have something to do with Delzoun? The text in FR5 mentions that the orcs don't dare enter the ruins, and it *is* a former dwarven city... maybe they're not as evil as they look...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  22:48:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't have to be 13 individual somethings... Maybe it's one big thing, with 13 anchors for the spell keeping it there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  01:17:20  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly raises a good point.

It's been a while since I've read through all the Ascore stuff, but when I got to thinking about the "13," I was intrigued by the possibility that they might refer to something that isn't immediately obvious.

And I'm not so sure about the dwarven connection with the pyramids. I don't recall any canon info relating the creation of the pyramids with the dwarves.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14549 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  03:46:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its intersting to note that in another setting - WoT - the Aes Saedi (witches) require thirteen of them in a casting circle in order to keep a male's power in-check (Warlocks more powerful then witches? Its an old trope).

What I'm getting at (I guess) is that '13' seems to be a mystical number of some-sort, usually associated with demonology (summonings in D&D). In classical witch-lore, 13 witches are required for a 'Coven' (where Robert Jordan probably got the idea). Obviously, a certain 'higher level' of power is achieved at that number.

Applying this to what Wooly said, its easy to see that the Pyramids may have been used to either summon something incredibly powerful, or constrain something incredibly powerful (and by 'constrain', I mean either keep it OUT of Toril's Crystal Sphere, or keep it imprisoned, most-likely in an extra-dimensional space).

I'd opt for that last one, given certain 'Cordellian' leanings these days (the Abolethic Sovereignty, Pandorym, SildŽyuir, etc...). I realize that probably wasn't the case when it was first written, but it would be the most obvious path for the new Realms to take it down.

Anyway, thats just my take - your mileage may vary.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jul 2009 03:47:30
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  03:24:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip>
What I'm getting at (I guess) is that '13' seems to be a mystical number of some-sort, usually associated with demonology (summonings in D&D). In classical witch-lore, 13 witches are required for a 'Coven' (where Robert Jordan probably got the idea). Obviously, a certain 'higher level' of power is achieved at that number.

Applying this to what Wooly said, its easy to see that the Pyramids may have been used to either summon something incredibly powerful, or constrain something incredibly powerful (and by 'constrain', I mean either keep it OUT of Toril's Crystal Sphere, or keep it imprisoned, most-likely in an extra-dimensional space).

I'd opt for that last one, given certain 'Cordellian' leanings these days (the Abolethic Sovereignty, Pandorym, SildŽyuir, etc...). I realize that probably wasn't the case when it was first written, but it would be the most obvious path for the new Realms to take it down.

Anyway, thats just my take - your mileage may vary.

Hrm... what if those pyramids appeared there after that mysterious evil force mentioned above, and are (as Markustay suggests) keeping it trapped in the Ascore ruins? Alternately, what if the evil (whatever it is) created the pyramids as a binding ritual to imprison some great force of good? Thank you, MT, for making me think "outside the pyramid," as it were.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3075 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  03:25:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's keeping the Tarrasque asleep! Don't muck with it!!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  04:48:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

It's keeping the Tarrasque asleep! Don't muck with it!!

Nah. The thing it's keeping asleep (or imprisoned, or whatever) would eat the Tarrasque as an appetizer, I think...

Edit: After two days of percolating evil ideas:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<chop>Applying this to what Wooly said, its easy to see that the Pyramids may have been used to either summon something incredibly powerful, or constrain something incredibly powerful (and by 'constrain', I mean either keep it OUT of Toril's Crystal Sphere, or keep it imprisoned, most-likely in an extra-dimensional space).

I'm thinking something supremely Lovecraftian here... Far Realm, or even incorporating the Lovecraft mythos directly into the Realms... what if the Spellplague and the planeshifting of Evermeet are caused not by the conjunction of Abeir and Toril, but by the surfacing of R'lyeh... which, due to its location, would have sundered Evermeet had the island not shifted into the Feywild due to powerful contingency High Magic (yes, I'm using 4E terminology here; the Spellplague necessitates 4E, not vice-versa)... and the pyramids are keeping the Great Old Ones imprisoned?

Following this line of thought, we have a "future" (4E) Realms about to be overrun by the followers (mind flayers and various other monstrous races) of a certain well-known squid-headed deity, and the Shades in control of the seals on the prison of the Great Old Ones. In fact, the creation of Evermeet itself could have been the original trigger for the surfacing of the city, given that we are told in the GHotR (page 10) that "the spell extends both back and forward in the mists of time" (also see the sidebar on page 11). This is a post-Spellplague Realms that I can work with... but I probably won't in the immediate future, as I have too much already developed for my alternate unplagued Realms timeline. Now that I have something workable lore-wise that doesn't involve the gods acting like psychopathic teenagers, maybe there will be a (somewhat postponed) Spellplague in my Realms down the road... we'll see what happens.
</edit>

Edit 2: That's why Evermeet was raised where it was... the elves found the focused Weave energies keeping R'lyeh imprisoned, but did not find the city itself. The Weave nexus was a natural choice for the magic-hungry elves, and so they unknowingly raised Evermeet directly over the city. The wards keeping the city trapped also kept it protected from the cataclysmic reshaping of the geography and geology. In addition, perhaps Evermeet is sundered by the rising city... hubris should always have as many negative consequences as possible. So, we have a shattered elven nation, a risen city of evil, and an evil empire controlling the wards imprisoning even greater evils... whether the Shades know about the last point or not is up to the DM. If that's not "points of light" I don't know what is... and we did it without messing with the map of Faerun. As for the timeline, this can happen whenever you want it to, and doesn't require a century of aftershocks and recovery time.
</edit>

Edited by - Jakk on 02 Aug 2009 18:32:07
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  18:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely of the mind that whatever the imprisoned horror under Ascore is, it is incorporeal/insubstantial in nature. And I also agree with Wooly that the smaller pyramids act as a "focus" for the whatever Epic/High Magic ritual was used to imprison the being.

Maybe it *is* a Far Realms entity -- we already know that the Netherese did go there (the Night Parade was one of the results).

Hmmm...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  01:04:33  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Maybe it *is* a Far Realms entity -- we already know that the Netherese did go there (the Night Parade was one of the results).
I'm not so sure about that. Or, rather, it just feels a little too convenient for me to assume that whatever is bound is Far Realm-related. An other-worldly/planar entity maybe, but not anything from the Realm Beyond.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  01:54:08  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Or, rather, it just feels a little too convenient for me to assume that whatever is bound is Far Realm-related. An other-worldly/planar entity maybe, but not anything from the Realm Beyond.

Maybe -- I don't generally use a lot of Far Realms stuff in my games, so it would work in my group (and everyone is a huge Cthulhu fan, too). In any case, I don't think this being has a physical form... perhaps it is an incorporeal Elder Evil?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  06:50:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe -- I don't generally use a lot of Far Realms stuff in my games, so it would work in my group (and everyone is a huge Cthulhu fan, too). In any case, I don't think this being has a physical form... perhaps it is an incorporeal Elder Evil?

Well, there are a few of those if you're using the Cthulhu mythos, and I'm sure there's at least one in the Elder Evils book (my copy hasn't arrived yet).

Anyway, I'll definitely be using my latest theory; I refuse to let pointless Never-Dissipating Aberrations get in the way of my eradication of the Sellplague from my Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  16:22:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>

On this note, I'm looking for more information about the Night Parade; all I know is what's in the GHotR (the Year of Nightmares, and Myrmeen Lhal's quest in the Year of the Serpent, the details of which story I'm familiar with). What I don't have is details of the original Netherese voyage in the Year of Nightmares that created the Night Parade. Can anyone refer me to additional sources for this lore?

Apologies for derailing my own scroll... again... keep the pyramid theories coming. I'm liking the Elder Evil prison theory for now, though, if only because I love crafts.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  17:56:22  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

<snip>

On this note, I'm looking for more information about the Night Parade; all I know is what's in the GHotR (the Year of Nightmares, and Myrmeen Lhal's quest in the Year of the Serpent, the details of which story I'm familiar with). What I don't have is details of the original Netherese voyage in the Year of Nightmares that created the Night Parade. Can anyone refer me to additional sources for this lore?

Apologies for derailing my own scroll... again... keep the pyramid theories coming. I'm liking the Elder Evil prison theory for now, though, if only because I love crafts.

Villians Lorebook from 2e and The Night Parade novel by Scott Ciencin.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  22:45:48  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kuje! Any thoughts from you about what's up with those pyramids in Ascore?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  23:42:12  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Kuje! Any thoughts from you about what's up with those pyramids in Ascore?

Not really sure. :) To be honest, I don't recall these pyramids but I've been reading this thread.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  01:32:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hrm... well, it's not in Ascore, it's not red, and it doesn't say how many sides it has, but I found a reference to another pyramid in the same general area of Faerun:
quote:
from The Wilderness, book 1 of The North boxed set, page 55:
Like Eaerlann and many places, the town of Karse was abandoned after the fall of Ascalhorn and left to ruin. Both normal forest and black, petrified oaks have grown throughout the ruins. The only building that weather the centuries without scars is an eerie, black pyramid that pulses and flickers with a sickly green radiance.

For this one, I like the idea that it has something to do with Wulgreth. The only connection of the site to Karsus is that it's where he came crashing down to Toril and where his followers built their settlement. Wulgreth was there long before being landed on by Karsus forced him into lichdom, and something like that just screams "PHYLACTERY!"

Edit: Oh, and Wooly: Your mangling of the name of FR5 earlier in this scroll was an honest mistake. The above-quoted boxed set, The North, also mentions those evil red pyramids. Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything new about them... [/edit]

Edited by - Jakk on 16 Aug 2009 01:37:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000