Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pyramids under Ascore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  13:54:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Cute.

While good things come out of omissions and contradictions, there's no need to introduce more.

Tell that to the editors of DC and Marvel...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2009 :  14:32:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... and see how well they're doing <smirk>.

They probably make more money now off of franchising their IP then they do off the comics...

Which sounds a lot like FR these days... we've been told for quite some time that the novels make more then the game. Its probably the only reason why there was a 4e FR (because if Eberron novels sold nearly as well, THAT setting would have been thier flagship).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  00:34:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... why did they bother with a 4E game setting at all, instead of making the Spellplague a novels-only thing? Oh... right... that would have made *everyone* happy... erm... no. The grognards like myself, Ashe, and Markustay would still be outraged, only this time over two things: the Spellplague *and* the complete lack of gaming materials. Mind you, that's not so different from the present situation, is it?

Anyway, to return this scroll to topic... does anyone have any other theories about these pyramids?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 Jul 2009 00:36:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  04:48:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I was trusted with a copy in the product's development phase and don't consider it appropriate to release it into the public domain. Also, it's nice to speculate - I've been criticised (indirectly) many times by fans of message boards for filling in too many blanks.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  04:59:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, the loss is theirs.

Your ability to weave together archaic pieces of Realmslore and reveal what would otherwise be forgotten is something I've always considered to be one of your main strengths when it comes to writing Realms, Krash.

It's one element that I've felt has been sorely missed from the 4e Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jul 2009 05:01:28
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  06:16:08  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with both of you, Krash and Sage... and to that end... Krash, what's your personal theory regarding these pyramids?

Edit: I mean, you did say it's nice to speculate... so how's about some speculation? I've done mine on this matter for the moment, but I have a couple of other ideas percolating.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 Jul 2009 06:34:40
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  06:40:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Which element is that, Sage? Background? Characters? Cohesiveness? Or should I go on? The only parts of the 4E Realms that have any of these are Laerakond (no surprise there), Waterdeep, and Cormyr. I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of the Brave New Realms (TM).

Edited by - Jakk on 25 Jul 2009 06:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  06:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, pointless bashing of the 4e Realms doesn't add anything to the discussion. Keep it out of here, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  07:16:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. And to re-inforce Arivia's point, I'll elaborate on my thoughts from above:-
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

Which element is that, Sage? Background? Characters? Cohesiveness? Or should I go on? The only parts of the 4E Realms that have any of these are Laerakond (no surprise there), Waterdeep, and Cormyr. I'll refrain from commenting on the rest of the Brave New Realms (TM).
I meant only with respect to elements that would usually demonstrate Krash's skill of weaving together forgotten or long-ignored pieces of Realmslore for the sake of explaining something that would otherwise be left as unresolved. It's his presence that I've come to miss in the new Realms.

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jul 2009 07:19:24
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  07:21:07  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Because I was trusted with a copy in the product's development phase and don't consider it appropriate to release it into the public domain. Also, it's nice to speculate - I've been criticised (indirectly) many times by fans of message boards for filling in too many blanks.

-- George Krashos

I can respect that. I guess you have what's called integrity.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 25 Jul 2009 22:19:19
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  17:54:03  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. And to re-inforce Arivia's point, I'll elaborate on my thoughts from above:-
<snip>I meant only with respect to elements that would usually demonstrate Krash's skill of weaving together forgotten or long-ignored pieces of Realmslore for the sake of explaining something that would otherwise be left as unresolved. It's his presence that I've come to miss in the new Realms.

Agreed... but, with the absence of lore from the new Realms, Krash's skills have gone sadly un(der)appreciated by those in power.

I also meant what I said about returning this scroll to topic; does anyone have any theories of their own? The Shadevari theory was neat, but not really cohesive; as already mentioned, why would they be under Netheril, and we already know that the Shadevari were imprisoned within the Key of Shadows. In addition, we have Krash's assurance that the pyramids have nothing to do with Azuth or the Shadevari.

Two other theories just came to mind, one just as far-fetched as the Shadevari hypothesis, but I'll mention it anyway:
1. The thirteen skulls of Skullport; doesn't really fly (not nearly as well as the skulls themselves, anyway), simply because we know that the pseudomythal of Skullport acts as their collective phylactery, so the pyramids are both far too remote and ultimately redundant... but then, redundancy is good, esp. for unlife-support...
2. the Princes of Shade/Thultanthar: there are thirteen Princes of Shade, and thirteen pyramids; the pyramids are in the right neighbourhood of Faerun for association with the Shades; and they look sinister enough to be Shadework. Any thoughts on this idea? Krash?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  01:57:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agreed... but, with the absence of lore from the new Realms...
I can't agree with that. Not completely.

While there is certainly lesser amounts of Realmslore being crafted for the 4e Realms, I can't agree that there is an "absence of lore" as such. And embracing such a mindset, I think, actually detracts from the efforts of master 4e Realmslore crafters like Brian James and Bruce Cordell, who are weaving together some pretty impressive background articles for use in the somewhat more limiting framework of the 4e Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  11:30:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats was cute a year ago. Now its just old. So what WotC 'ruined' the Realms. Give WotC time and they will 'ruin' Eberron/Dark Sun/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Greyhawk. It is inevitable. Heck give Paizo enough time and Golarion will get ruined also. Its the nature of RPGS. Rant is now over sorry if I offend anyone.

On Topic: In what books can I find more info about this topic?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  15:09:44  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only published information that I recall off the top of my head is a single paragraph in FR5, The Savage Frontier by Paul Jaquays (long out of print; PDF used to be available online from Paizo, but Wizbro pulled PDF resale rights, probably because they didn't want products from earlier editions competing with 4E... for obvious reasons, IMHO...). If anyone else recalls any other published sources, please refresh my memory; thanks.

Edit: Re: Rant: No offense taken here, Brimstone. However, I would dispute your contention that Golarion will eventually suffer a similar fate to the Realms; that may happen, but only if a bean-counting conglomerate like Wizbro gets their hands on it.

Edited by - Jakk on 26 Jul 2009 15:13:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  15:22:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only published information that I recall off the top of my head is a single paragraph in FR5, The Savage Frontier by Paul Jaquays (long out of print; PDF used to be available online from Paizo, but Wizbro pulled PDF resale rights, probably because they didn't want products from earlier editions competing with 4E... for obvious reasons, IMHO...). If anyone else recalls any other published sources, please refresh my memory; thanks.

Actually, FR5 The Savage Frontier is still available as a freebie from the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Jul 2009 15:23:15
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  15:33:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually, FR5 The Savage Frontier is still available as a freebie from the Wizards downloads page.

Thanks for that, Wooly! I can't remember the last time I went there, as I got tired of waiting for the contents to change up. I'd love to have PDFs of Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons... but obtaining them legally without scanning them from my own hard copies (which are nowhere near me right now) may no longer be an option.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2009 :  15:56:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for that, Wooly! I can't remember the last time I went there, as I got tired of waiting for the contents to change up. I'd love to have PDFs of Faiths & Avatars and Powers & Pantheons... but obtaining them legally without scanning them from my own hard copies (which are nowhere near me right now) may no longer be an option.

I don't recall which one of the three deity books it was, off the top of my head, but I can say that the scan quality on one of them rather sucked. Those were some of the first pdfs I purchased.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2009 :  03:09:18  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I have all of those. Gotta love Noble knight.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  05:52:12  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Returning to topic... I found this reference in my comprehensive Realms timeline (a continual WIP, even with nothing new coming from Wizbro in the last year-plus that's going to come anywhere near it), and I was wondering if it could have anything to do with those pyramids...

quote:
c.-700 Something dark and evil takes up residence or is trapped in the ancient ruins of Ascore.

I wish I could remember the source... I didn't record sources when I put the timeline together, and now I'm wishing I had... I guess I'll have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch when I finally get the rest of my Realmslore under my own roof again.

Edit: I found the source, and it's dubious with respect to canon, simply because the timeframe they propose is before the Year of Sundered Webs, and therefore before Ascore falls into ruin, which means it can hardly be "ancient ruins" at that point. Oh well... that explains why my timeline had a different date for the event. Source: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_br05.html

Edited by - Jakk on 28 Jul 2009 06:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  07:02:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Returning to topic... I found this reference in my comprehensive Realms timeline (a continual WIP, even with nothing new coming from Wizbro in the last year-plus that's going to come anywhere near it), and I was wondering if it could have anything to do with those pyramids...

quote:
c.-700 Something dark and evil takes up residence or is trapped in the ancient ruins of Ascore.

I wish I could remember the source... I didn't record sources when I put the timeline together, and now I'm wishing I had... I guess I'll have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch when I finally get the rest of my Realmslore under my own roof again.

Edit: I found the source, and it's dubious with respect to canon, simply because the timeframe they propose is before the Year of Sundered Webs, and therefore before Ascore falls into ruin, which means it can hardly be "ancient ruins" at that point. Oh well... that explains why my timeline had a different date for the event. Source: http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_br05.html

It's canon. Page 40 of FR5 The Savage North, which describes (in passing) those pyramids:

quote:
Whatever, something evil lurks in Ascore, something that has been here for 2,000 years... waiting.

1350ish, minus 2000, is -650ish. Not an exact date, but with two millenia, rounding errors are bound to occur.

Other than the ruins part, there's no problem. And the evil is now in the ruins, so it's not entirely inaccurate.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Jul 2009 07:04:47
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  15:52:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

THIS is THE most important lesson I had to learn about doing Realms research... and it was a hard one.

After I was about 90% done with my last version of the maps, there were tons of locales and I had no idea where they came from - I was adding them to the map as I found them. I am currently going back through EVERYTHING I read to re-find them all.

Fortunately, re-reading Realmslore isn't really a chore.

Take notes on everything - even novels. It will drive you nuts six months later when someone calls you to task on something, and you have no clue where you read it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  06:46:10  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It's canon. Page 40 of FR5 The Savage North, which describes (in passing) those pyramids:

quote:
Whatever, something evil lurks in Ascore, something that has been here for 2,000 years... waiting.

1350ish, minus 2000, is -650ish. Not an exact date, but with two millenia, rounding errors are bound to occur.

Other than the ruins part, there's no problem. And the evil is now in the ruins, so it's not entirely inaccurate.

Thanks Wooly... I'll have to re-read FR5 now... fortunately, I have the PDF... unfortunately, I hate reading scanned documents from the computer. I guess I'll have to suck it up... oh, and Wooly... FR5 is titled "The Savage Frontier"

On another note, this ancient evil in Ascore is the perfect subject for... yes, that's right... my 666th post! Six hundred, three score, and half a dozen posts ago, I joined Candlekeep. Anyway, that's all I've got for this post. This summer is freakishly hot here in the Pacific Southwest of Canada, and it's too hot to sleep and too hot to think... hrm... another reference to the post number, methinks...

Edited by - Jakk on 29 Jul 2009 06:48:06
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  07:09:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh, and Wooly... FR5 is titled "The Savage Frontier"

Oops!

I could pull a Sage and go back and correct myself, but I'm honest enough to admit to my mistakes.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jul 2009 07:09:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  07:22:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

oh, and Wooly... FR5 is titled "The Savage Frontier"

Oops!

I could pull a Sage and go back and correct myself, but I'm honest enough to admit to my mistakes.

Can you prove that?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  18:05:59  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay... let's try, one more time, to get (and keep) this scroll back on topic... are there any other theories regarding these pyramids? The only "thirteens" I can associate with the thirteen pyramids are the Shadevari (which Krash has officially debunked as not the possible canon explanation he has hiding on his hard drive) and the Skulls of Skullport, which (even though they are Netherese in origin) seem altogether too far removed geographically... if these pyramids were somewhere in Undermountain, even if not on Level 3, I'd declare that theory correct here and now.

What if they have something to do with Delzoun? The text in FR5 mentions that the orcs don't dare enter the ruins, and it *is* a former dwarven city... maybe they're not as evil as they look...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  22:48:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't have to be 13 individual somethings... Maybe it's one big thing, with 13 anchors for the spell keeping it there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  01:17:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly raises a good point.

It's been a while since I've read through all the Ascore stuff, but when I got to thinking about the "13," I was intrigued by the possibility that they might refer to something that isn't immediately obvious.

And I'm not so sure about the dwarven connection with the pyramids. I don't recall any canon info relating the creation of the pyramids with the dwarves.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2009 :  03:46:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its intersting to note that in another setting - WoT - the Aes Saedi (witches) require thirteen of them in a casting circle in order to keep a male's power in-check (Warlocks more powerful then witches? Its an old trope).

What I'm getting at (I guess) is that '13' seems to be a mystical number of some-sort, usually associated with demonology (summonings in D&D). In classical witch-lore, 13 witches are required for a 'Coven' (where Robert Jordan probably got the idea). Obviously, a certain 'higher level' of power is achieved at that number.

Applying this to what Wooly said, its easy to see that the Pyramids may have been used to either summon something incredibly powerful, or constrain something incredibly powerful (and by 'constrain', I mean either keep it OUT of Toril's Crystal Sphere, or keep it imprisoned, most-likely in an extra-dimensional space).

I'd opt for that last one, given certain 'Cordellian' leanings these days (the Abolethic Sovereignty, Pandorym, Sildëyuir, etc...). I realize that probably wasn't the case when it was first written, but it would be the most obvious path for the new Realms to take it down.

Anyway, thats just my take - your mileage may vary.

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jul 2009 03:47:30
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  03:24:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

<snip>
What I'm getting at (I guess) is that '13' seems to be a mystical number of some-sort, usually associated with demonology (summonings in D&D). In classical witch-lore, 13 witches are required for a 'Coven' (where Robert Jordan probably got the idea). Obviously, a certain 'higher level' of power is achieved at that number.

Applying this to what Wooly said, its easy to see that the Pyramids may have been used to either summon something incredibly powerful, or constrain something incredibly powerful (and by 'constrain', I mean either keep it OUT of Toril's Crystal Sphere, or keep it imprisoned, most-likely in an extra-dimensional space).

I'd opt for that last one, given certain 'Cordellian' leanings these days (the Abolethic Sovereignty, Pandorym, Sildëyuir, etc...). I realize that probably wasn't the case when it was first written, but it would be the most obvious path for the new Realms to take it down.

Anyway, thats just my take - your mileage may vary.

Hrm... what if those pyramids appeared there after that mysterious evil force mentioned above, and are (as Markustay suggests) keeping it trapped in the Ascore ruins? Alternately, what if the evil (whatever it is) created the pyramids as a binding ritual to imprison some great force of good? Thank you, MT, for making me think "outside the pyramid," as it were.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  03:25:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's keeping the Tarrasque asleep! Don't muck with it!!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000