Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  05:09:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Neriandal Freit, you've gotta believe.
Like the song says, "But it wouldn't be make-believe/If you'd believe in me."
Ed's mild in behavior compared to SOME of the guys (and gals) I grew up with in the Sixties. The time of nudity, free love, hippies, communes, no AIDS, Playboy and the "swinger" lifestyle, and so on. Myself: I'm a tease.
As you (cough) just may have noticed.
I'm sure Ed's fantasies only involve white-bearded men once a year: on Christmas Eve. (Oh, by the way: don't miss the forthcoming movie Hogfather, in which one of the white-bearded men is Terry Pratchett himself.)
And just to give you a Realms tidbit in all of this: Torm once befriended a pleasure-lass in Waterdeep who went by the name of Cinammon, because of what she put on HER nipples.
So there.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  05:34:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Myself: I'm a tease.
Really?

quote:
And just to give you a Realms tidbit in all of this: Torm once befriended a pleasure-lass in Waterdeep who went by the name of Cinammon, because of what she put on HER nipples.
So there.
love,
THO
Oh, that's simply too delicious to ignore for future roleplaying use in a campaign!

As it happens... the Lady K loves cinammon (and so do I but that's beside the point ). We appreciate this little insight, my lovely lady Hooded One.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  13:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Thanks to Ed and THO for the awesome info.

I know that my players will love this information.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Blackwill
Seeker

55 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  15:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Blackwill's Homepage Send Blackwill a Private Message
Hail Master Greenwoord and Lady THO,

I bring forth a scroll with a few questions about the rumored Warlock class for thee.

"I'm curious to know what, if any, examples of warlocks have been cropping up in FR canon, and if it is generally seen as a reasonable adventuring class. Is it another "They were there all along, do not ask questions" thing, like when sorcerers appeared as a class? Someone mentioned a reference for a FR tiefling fighter/warlock, whose warlock powers were pretty minor, I think?

Since Warlocks gain their power from pacts or bloodlines with demons, are they subject to terms of these arrangements? Could they be expected to be held to oaths and such? I'd thought contractual agreements were more the realm of Devils than Demons, so I'm interested to hear thoughts on them from a RP/sourcebook/canon perspective, or at least musings as to how non-FR material on them (Complete Arcane?) might mesh with existing FR canon. Would they tend to be faithless? How would they be viewed by the churches of Mystra, Azuth, Talos, or Shar? Would they be rarer than sorcerii, or more common?
I'd like at least to try to get a handle on how they should be viewed by the larger world: peasantry, scholars, etc.

Would they be subject to the whims of their patron, in the same way that clerics may be should they act out of line with their dieties' dogma? Are their souls taken by their patrons on death, and if so, does it affect their ability to take a rez?

Since their patrons are by description chaotic, does that mean they do not know or care how the powers are used? If the powers are bargained for, what does the demon gain in return, as motivation/justification?

I've heard it mentioned that they can be counterspelled, and lose abilities in a magic-dead zone, so are their eldrich abilities necessarily Weave magic? Do repeated uses of their powers exhaust them in any way, or are they to be considered effortless, as well as limitless?

Does SR resist Eldritch bolts and effects?

The concept of a warlock who uses their powers to thwart the Outsider by whom they were granted raises interesting issues as well- can the bount patron remove/withhold the warlock's abilities? What happens when/if the Outsider who granted the abilities is killed?"

Many thanks for reading.

~Blackwill
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  17:16:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, who once solemnly painted my nipples with cherry chocolate for a post-Realmsplay-session party. Two other someones got there faster to lick them clean, however.
love to all,
THO

Can I get an invite the next time this happens?

quote:

Myself: I'm a tease.

No way! I'd've never guessed!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  20:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
Quick one for Ed (if he's willing) or THO (if she already knows): Sayings and catchphrases for priests of Tempus; particularly their equivalent of 'Amen' or 'So mote it be' for prayers and public invocations before an audience.

Willing to be pointed in the right direction, if I missed an already-published answer.

Much obliged,

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  21:13:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karth

Quick one for Ed (if he's willing) or THO (if she already knows): Sayings and catchphrases for priests of Tempus; particularly their equivalent of 'Amen' or 'So mote it be' for prayers and public invocations before an audience.

Willing to be pointed in the right direction, if I missed an already-published answer.

Much obliged,

-Karth

There is Ed's April 12th 2004 reply about the oaths of Tempus. That might be of some interest for you.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  21:25:44  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Besshalar

Thanks Kuje . Should have known that a man with over 50,000 books would have tackled this issue already

He's a librarian, so what would you expect?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

MadRat
Acolyte

Russia
9 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  21:53:55  Show Profile  Visit MadRat's Homepage Send MadRat a Private Message
quote:

“What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?
What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?”
Dagnirion posted a suggestion, but Ed’s reply differs:
[skip]
And all so one demonstrably proud, foolish, and cruel madman could have the shining toy he wanted, but couldn’t understand.

So saith Ed. Who after all, knows more about all of this than anyone else.
love to all,
THO

If so said Ed, it must be true... I always thinked about Karsus as, probably, unwise, overproud, desperate to save Netheril from phaerimms... But cruel madman... The truth is sometimes sad, but it's better then mistakes...
And then I have a question to Ed, and I hope the answer to it won't take too long, because it is a simple one:
What the Ed, himself, can say of Ioulaum?
What kind of man was (and is, according to Lost Empires of Faerun) he?

The sword of truth is forged by the hammer of reason.
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  22:08:04  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:

There is Ed's April 12th 2004 reply about the oaths of Tempus. That might be of some interest for you.

Thanks Kuje. I'll have a look.

-Karth
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2006 :  00:22:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Much obliged,

-Karth

There were also, as I recall, a few Tempus-based oaths referenced in the first IWD CRPG that haven't been mentioned elsewhere.

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Nov 2006 00:23:33
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2006 :  19:07:30  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Has anyone else gotten the impression that the weather problems caused by Shade have continued to current day throughout the Heartlands and surrounding areas. I'm assuming the coast/Waterdeep is more or less back to normal but from recent novels it seems extreme droughts affect the Heartlands, Sembia and such?

What you people think?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  00:08:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
createvmind, is this question also directed toward Ed?

Or, is it just a general FR question?

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  01:37:26  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  01:52:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well then, it would likely be more appropriate to ask this in the FR General section instead.

We'd like to keep Ed's scroll free for just Ed-based questions, answers and discussion.

Go to Top of Page

GoCeraf
Learned Scribe

147 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  04:31:52  Show Profile  Visit GoCeraf's Homepage Send GoCeraf a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. This time, Ed answers GoCeraf, re. this: “Hello Mr. Greenwood. I've been toying around with writing as of late, and I've been wondering what sort of process one has to go through to have FR related novels published. Although I don't consider myself to be anything of an expert in this area, I think it would be very fulfilling to have work done in such a well-traveled area of literature. Thanks, GoCeraf”
Ed replies:

Wooly Rupert put it very well. I’m afraid Wizards doesn’t accept unsolicited Realms novels. I echo what Wooly said: write fantasy short stories for DRAGON, REALMS OF FANTASY, and BLACK GATE, contact Phil Athans (of the Wizards Book Department; see the WotC website) and tell him you’re interested in writing Realms short stories for the next Realms anthology that comes along, have prose samples e-ready to send him (IF he asks for them; don’t start hurling files at him without his invitation), and keep on reminding him of your interest, every 6 or 8 months or so. In a polite, friendly, non-pushy way. Prepare a short list of plot concepts you think would make good Realms novels AND fit the direction of the current novels series; each concept should be a maximum of three sentences long, and don’t build any of them around well-established Realms characters being the lead characters.
Here’s an example that you should NOT use, just to show you how brief I mean: “One-shot novel: Sembia invades Cormyr with mercenaries, Sembian envoys deny it’s anything to do with Sembia as a country waging war on anyone and say they’re as surprised by the attacks as anyone else, and as skirmishes in the Hullack and Thunder Peaks drag on, the book centers on a trio of new-character Highknights, sent undercover into Sembia to find out who hired the mercenaries, why, and how they can be persuaded to stop.”
Please remember, that’s very much Step Four. Step One is write some fantasy short stories, Step Two is get them published, and Step Three is contact the Books Department, wave your published fantasy fiction as samples of your writing, and express your interest in writing in the Realms. Good luck. I always want to see new faces at the ongoing revelry that is Realmslore talespinning.

So saith Ed. Go for it, GoCeraf and all interested Realms scribes - - and DON’T be discouraged. Ed’s been chatting privately with at two fans I know of for years, encouraging them to try to get their Realms tales into print.
P.S. Good questions, scribes! Keep them coming!
love to all,
THO

O.o
I'm both surprised and thankful for such a swift answer. I very much appreciate your taking time to reply to my question.

Being sarcastic can be more telling than simply telling.
Go to Top of Page

Karth
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  10:59:35  Show Profile  Visit Karth's Homepage Send Karth a Private Message
quote:

quote:
There were also, as I recall, a few Tempus-based oaths referenced in the first IWD CRPG that haven't been mentioned elsewhere.

Icewind Dale? Never touched it, Sage. If you can recall specifics, please do.

Kuje: your tip was golden, thanks. Obviously still interested in anything further from THO or Ed, but better not to be greedy...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2006 :  11:59:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Icewind Dale? Never touched it, Sage. If you can recall specifics, please do.
I make a quick run-through of the game tomorrow and note any particular references...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  00:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed,

Look, I put my hand up. I raise my arm and extend the fingers, like this.

What are perhaps six of the dozen most common spells that have never been written up in print?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  02:10:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all!
Ed has returned from a delightful convention in Ann Arbor, Michigan (U-Con, which he highly recommends to gamers looking for a small, fun, well-run convention [and where he got to spend at least a little time with Eric Boyd and his family, Steven Schend and his family, Paul Kemp, Colin McComb, longtime Realms fan and current Castlemourn editor Brian Gute, and friends such as Tim and Calye “Chainmail Girl” Calhoun, as well as making lots of new ones), and tossed a Realmslore answer for Dargoth to me, to post forthwith.
Accordingly, here ’tis; Ed’s reply to this, from a June posting by Dargoth: “One of my players will be running a Illuskan (Northsmen) barbarian in my next campaign so I’ve been reading some of the material old 1ed/2ed material on them and have a few questions......
How closely do the Northsmen resemble the Viking/Danes? (They come across as being very "Vikingesque" in FR2)
Are Northsmen PCs and NPCs likely to be treated with a level of hostility in the Sword Coast region due to their history of raiding?
In FR2 Moonshae it says the Northsmen ussually raid the Folk Kingdoms in the Moonshae islands but they also launch raids against targets on the Sword Coast. Presumable modern fortified cities like Neverwinter, Luskan, Waterdeep and Baldurs Gate would be to powerful so where have the Northsmen raided in recent years?
Under the Gods of the Northsmen in FR2 it says that after a particularly successful battle the Northsmen have been known to sacrifice prisoners to Tempus. This would seem to conflict with Tempus code of conduct in F&P. Are those Northsmen who practicing Human sacrifice actually worshiping Gargos instead of Tempus? or Do the Northsmen worship a heretical version of Tempus dogma? (ie Heretic of the Faith)
Thanks in advance”
Ed replies:

The Northmen as published thus far do seem very Norse, but I’d caution any DM against making them close copies of the Vikings of lore (and especially of the movies, except for perhaps the 13TH WARRIOR; I say this for the usual reasons, of the pitfalls of extrapolating specifics drawn from real-world knowledge, and applying them to fictional people in the Realms).
Thumbnail description of the Northmen: a hardy people who farm and rear sheep and rothé on their stormswept islands, and who are hardened against wet and cold (they can die of exposure like anyone else, but succumb more slowly, under much harsher conditions; many swim or wash in arctic waters as a matter of course, and don’t catch chills as they bundle themselves into their furs (still wet), and trudge home. They tend to wear big, shaggy boots that extend up to the knee and are warmed by furred pelts wound around them and bound in place. The males are bearded and wear chainmail shirts when they go to war, they brawl with each other but VERY seldom draw steel or use magic on each other (those who do are apt to be cast out).
They raid for four reasons: in desperation (for supplies), to settle scores with mainlanders (kill one of them, and you’ll be paid back), to prove themselves (insecure or ridiculed younglings only), or to settle scores with each other: serious disagreements are settled with violence, but instead of fighting each other, on their own islands, the disgruntled parties go raiding and seek to outdo each other ashore, in dangerous feats, to settle the matter in the eyes of the others along on the raid (who will judge, assisted by some “wise old women” among the Northmen who can farscry what’s going on through hereditary powers of sorcery that seem keyed to four things: foretelling and influencing weather; healing by body contact (prolonged touch; they often go to bed with the wounded or sick, though please note this means getting naked under the furs together, NOT sex); calling and “gentling” fish and wild beasts (summoning them and keeping them from attacking, so they can be milked, marked, captured for taming, or slain); and farscrying.
Many “raids” engaged in by Northmen now and in the past aren’t attacks on people so much as they are woodcutting expeditions to plunder coastal forests (which they firmly believe belong to all people, not any one “owner”). Often mainlanders arrive to dispute their taking of timber, and they’ll certainly fight any such.
Armed Northmen who come ashore from longships and attack people will certainly be treated with hostility; individual Northmen wandering such ports as Luskan, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep won’t be unless they start attacking others - - but Northmen appearing in Port Llast or similar smaller coastal communities, holds, and inns will be assumed to be raiders, and treated as such, unless they can instantly show other intent (such as being with a traveling priest, and behaving in matters of dress and deportment like devout worshippers engaged in worship).
Traditionally the Northmen raided up and down the Sword Coast as far south as Mintarn and the Velen peninsula, but their raids have become few (and their raids on large cities a mere memory) over the last century or so. Hard weather and monster attacks have kept them too busy to raid and often too militarily weak to spare the warriors for raiding in recent decades. Also, the heretical cult of Tempus that sacrificed prisoners of war and preached that the ultimate glory and fulfillment of a true Northman was attained through prowess in raiding collapsed thirty or so summers ago, leaving only a few scattered believers (who, yes, would be Heretics of the Faith), no social support among the Northmen - - particularly among the women, who will typically refuse to dwell with, cook for, or engage in sex or marriage with someone who loudly wants to go raiding for such reasons - - and no surviving temples or truly organized priesthood (the few clerics are all “laws unto themselves” and denounce the other clerics, strengthening the belief among other Northmen [save a few lonely, power-seeking younglings] that they’re all crazy).
Please note that I’ve been speaking in gross generalizations here, describing a people in sweeping stereotypes and simplified blanket statements. Individuals, and particular families, among the Northmen do differ in lifestyles, beliefs, and behaviour from what I’ve said here (giving DMs freedom to make SOME Northmen as close to - - or as far from - - Vikings as they’d like). Myself, I always think of them as more akin to the Geats of Beowulf (for more, see my tale, and those penned by Jeff Grubb, Lynn Abbey, and Wolfgang Baur, too, in THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF BEOWULF, CHAMPION OF MIDDLE EARTH [just published by Carroll & Graf, and edited by ex-TSR Book Department head Brian Thomsen]).

So saith Ed, a bearded, occasionally-chainmail-wearing guy who I don’t THINK has raided any coastal communities in his life. I’d better go ask.
(So if I don’t come back, you may have to assume something.)
love to all,
THO
P.S. Great question, Faraer. I'll take it to Ed while I'm doing that asking.
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  23:36:24  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Hi Ed and The Hooded One,

I've got some doubts in my mind about the maps of the Silver Marches that I hope don't cross NDA barriers.

In the maps in the back of the Silver Marches sourcebook there are some maps for some of the cities of the Silver Marches. I've been comparing them to other maps (like the ones in the latest Waterdeep sourcebook) and I think that the scale is wrong. I'm betting that all of them should say 1000' instead of 500.

Another doubt is regarding the number of buildings in the Silverymoon map. Is it right? I've counted 818 buildings for 37,073 inhabitants, which gives about 45 people per building. Is that okay?

Also regarding the map of Silverymoon: what are those four towers in the westernmost part of the walls of Southbank? And why there are much, much more big buildings in southbank?

Thank you beforehand for sharing your Realmslore with us.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  00:09:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I return with a reply to Faraer’s very recent question “Ed, Look, I put my hand up. I raise my arm and extend the fingers, like this. What are perhaps six of the dozen most common spells that have never been written up in print?”
Ed replies:

As usual, I’m WAY too tearingly busy to do proper, full 3.5e (or any edition!) spell writeups, but if I can just describe the spells, here’s a swift answer. Six of the most common “not yet seen” Realms wizards’ spells include the following:

Ambra’s Kiss: named for its half-elven creator (a sometime Waterdhavian prostitute), this silent spell is cast by the caster thinking of its incantation while biting, kissing, or sucking on the flesh of the intended target creature. There is a “stiff” (see the end of the Whirlblade note, below) saving throw to avoid its effects, but if successful, it causes the recipient to go blind for 1 round and suffer a drastic loss of strength for 2 rounds (-14 Str on first round, reduced to –7 Str on the second); there are various levels of saves that either reduce the effects to blindness only, or the strength loss to 1 round only; the spell is often used to escape a captor of superior strength, or prevent them doing something for long enough for the caster to ready another weapon or spell to deal with them, or for aid to arrive.

Fleshmask: instant, silent illusory alteration of caster’s or a same-race recipient’s (who must be willing, and face-touched by caster) face, affecting eye color, hair color, and shape of nose, cheeks, and jaw. Can’t affect teeth, length and style of hair, or skin color, can’t change voice or affect lisps and the like. Caster must concentrate on either a known face, or features (nose, hair color) they have previously seen, and spell confers these features (exact duplication not possible, but could fool someone who hasn’t recently (or has never closely) seen “the real” person being duplicated; lasts 1 round/caster level for caster, and half that (to a minimum of 2 rounds) when cast on a recipient.

Nantha’s Bladeseek: detects [conveying rough idea of size and location of each one] edged and/or pointed metal weapons within 20 feet of caster (can “see” through only 1 foot thickness of stone, 3 foot thickness of earth), or on the person of a single target creature, who must be visible to the caster during casting and within 90 feet of caster; the spell is easily blocked by many magics, but tells its caster it’s being foiled).

Swordwood: transforms a single sheathed or “bare” single-bladed metal weapon, of maximum length four feet, into shaped wood or a tree bough. Spell ends instantly if the bladed weapon draws blood (deals any damage) in battle, but otherwise lasts 1 hour/caster level, and is a transformation that foils metal detecting magic, allows the bearer of the transformed weapon to handle it without getting cut, makes the weapon temporarily non-magnetic and heat-conductive as wood is, rather than metal, and confers the texture and weight of wood, rather than metal; if weapon struck against metal or stone, sounds like wood thudding, not metal clanging; “shape” choices are a shaped wooden rod, scepter, table-leg, walking-stick for short person, etc. that is of simple wood, NOT adorned with paint, gems, etc. but appear as fantastically-carved or a replica of a known item - - and a rough, ends-hewn but bark-on piece of tree branch (so can be hidden in a bundle of firewood). Magic weapons can’t be affected by a swordwood spell, and using successive swordwood spells on the same item in a short space of time (i.e. applying a second spell soon after the first has expired) forces an item saving throw (that most swords will fail, collapsing into shards).

Whirlblade: cast on a weapon the caster handles, this magic lies quiescent (not affecting the caster’s use of magic; to the caster, it’s cast and “gone”) until dispelled by other activity (e.g. a dispel magic that affects the weapon), or activated by the weapon-bearer speaking a word (which can be any nonsense syllables, and must be uttered by the caster during casting) at some later time. When thus discharged, the spell makes the weapon +4 to hit for a single round, and allows it to make an extra attack during the round (and the magic then ends). The spell doesn’t affect the damage the blade makes, and anyone touching the weapon who says the word launches the spell (so it’s wasted if they do so when not in combat). The weapon need not be a bladed metal weapon, but must be a melee (not ranged) weapon. Multiple whirlblades can be cast on the same weapon, but their effects don’t “stack” (one word launches one whirlblade, leaving the other magics unaffected), and the third and every additional whirlblade spell forces a “stiff” (i.e. usually destroys item) item saving throw on the weapon.

Word of Valor: when cast, the caster or any one touched recipient creature is empowered to function (fighting and moving as if unharmed and unhampered) for 1 additional round when injury or loss of limbs would ordinarily disable them; this occurs automatically at any time within 1 hour of casting the word of valor (its swift incantation is a single spoken word). It doesn’t mitigate damage in any way, but merely delays death, unconsciousness, or collapse for a round (enabling, for example, a mortally-wounded fighter to battle on, a rope-climbing character to reach a ledge or battlement, or a dying character to speak a last few words or hurl an item).

Faraer, I hope these are of help. I have many more, but still have two novels, divers short stories, and many web columns on my “to do yesterday!” platter. Sigh.

So saith Ed, exhbiting the “run ragged despair” I’ve heard from him often this summer, as he struggles to get too many projects done at once. Partly this resulted from him being too kind to say ‘no,’ partly it came about as him rushing to the aid of those who asked, and partially it’s due to him wanting to eat and facing low or delayed payments for everything and so taking on too much work.
However, he assures me he’ll keep on sending me Candlekeep replies as often and as swiftly as he’s able.
To David Lázaro: great questions! I know some of the replies (for instance, the quick/oversimplified answer re. Southbank's big buildings is that Southbank is a much newer expansion of the city than Northbank, so when big headquarters were desired, it was where they could be built easily; citizens tend to yelp if you try to demolish their homes just because you want space for your building), but I'll wait for Ed to give you proper answers.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  00:26:29  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
Thanks, THO, that's a swift reply for sure!

Now that I reread my question I see that I made a mistake in the question about the "four towers in the westernmost part of the walls of Southbank". I should have said "five connected towers that even extend to the river". Or are they five and a half? Uhm... certainly an intriguing structure there. Even more incredible is that after more than one year of adventuring in Silverymoon, I didn't remember noticing them as something odd before.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  12:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO! [:))
Don't know if its considered rude to have more then one or two questions up at a time, but here goes anyway.

What would a Cleric of Kelemvor do for someone who is dying? Would they do their own version of the 'Last Rites'? What about other Religions? Do followers of other gods go to their own clerics when they are dying, or do they try to get to a Kelemvoran?

Thanks in advance for any Lore you can share with us (and for all the Lore you've previously shared too!)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  18:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
That's great, thank you both. An ironguard is worth more than any 10 Elminster's effulgent epurations (or 100 Proctiv's move mountains).
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  19:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, scribes. Back in March, Wooly Rupert asked this: “We know, thanks to the City of Splendors: Waterdeep book, that Waterdeep's navy consists of 55 ships, ..."
Ed makes reply:

(snip)

Master Izidd Rocklar (LN male Chondathan human Ftr10/Exp4: maker of catapults and bombards).

(snip)

love to all,
THO

Are these "bombards" what WE would ordinarily consider "bombards" (i.e. size Large cannons) or are they the size Huge(+) Thayvian bombards mentioned in Pirates of the Watchamacallit? Are the more ordinary sort of bombards, the smokepowder users, used to fire stone or metal balls -- or both? Inquiring Gondians want to know! (An aside to those who haven't read the book -- Thayvian bombards fire hollow stone balls filled with a flammable liquid of secret recipe, and {if I recall correctly} their propulsive force is also a Thayvian secret, because it isn't smokepowder. {Could it be ... gunpowder?!?!})

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2006 :  19:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. This time Ed gives a hearty “you’re welcome!” to Wooly and to RodOdom, e-shouts to Quinton that his Maalthiir and Hillsfar query should now be answered by MYSTERIES OF THE MOONSEA (and to post a followup query here if that source isn’t sufficient), and forthwith tackles Asgetrion’s March request: “Could Ed provide us with the elven words for 'realm'/'kingdom', 'falcon', and 'city'/'citystate' (one without a mythal).
(snip)
;D”
Ed replies:

Glad you loved Power of Faerűn (Eric did much heavy lifting on that one) and are enjoying the Border Kingdoms. I’m really enjoying the BK entries; I just wish I had more TIME to do all of the stuff I’m expected to do now. Tidbits of both elven and dwarven vocabulary are upcoming in future Realmslore web columns, and the elven ones include several names for different sorts of places, so I’ll just give you the word for “falcon” right now.

Remember, elven is a mature language, and so (like modern real-world English) has both local dialects and formal and informal styles and many SLIGHTLY different words that can be used to describe a given item, situation, or event. So if you dislike what I write here, make up something else and consider this a dialect in use “somewhere else” in YOUR Realms, okay?

The elven word for falcon or hawk is “gyrlaszthraen” (in everyday speech, just “gyrlass”). The derivation is “swift strike hunting bird,” where “gyrah” is bird, “tal” is swift, “lasz” is stab, slash, or attack (natural beast savagery or combat; the word is never used for matters involving weapons or military ‘deliberate war’), and “thraen” is hunt.

So saith Ed. Whose tongue doesn’t slip as fluidly around syllables as it used to (and I’m going to firmly suppress the NEXT comment that leaped into my mind)
love to all,
THO

After decades of gaming with almost no one having a familiar, my current batch of players have ALL decided to have familiars. What, prithee, Master of the Green Wood, would be the Elven term for a normal (i.e., non-sidhe) riding dog which is a familiar for its rider? That, at least, is how the player would probably like the question phrased. Others might phrase it as, "What is the term for a big, stupid, vicious, paladin-biting, cannibalistic mongrel?"

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  02:47:13  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

Gosh, I hope he's not doing naked dancing this time of year. It's pretty chilly in Ontario.

and you know what happens when its cold.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  04:06:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Yes. My nipples go sproing.
Ahem.
Hello, all. Ed makes reply to David Lázaro, in the matter of: “Hi Ed and The Hooded One, I've got some doubts in my mind about the maps of the Silver Marches that I hope don't cross NDA barriers.
In the maps in the back of the Silver Marches sourcebook there are some maps for some of the cities of the Silver Marches. I've been comparing them to other maps (like the ones in the latest Waterdeep sourcebook) and I think that the scale is wrong. I'm betting that all of them should say 1000' instead of 500.
Another doubt is regarding the number of buildings in the Silverymoon map. Is it right? I've counted 818 buildings for 37,073 inhabitants, which gives about 45 people per building. Is that okay?
Also regarding the map of Silverymoon: what are those four towers in the westernmost part of the walls of Southbank? And why there are much, much more big buildings in southbank?
Thank you beforehand for sharing your Realmslore with us.”
Ed wants everyone to know that he isn’t neglecting older queries; he’s just clearing his desk of the easily-answered recent ones - - and accordingly makes reply:

Regarding the map scale: you’re guessing right: the scales should indeed say 1000 feet instead of 500.
The Silverymoon map gives a false impression of dwellings. You’re counting right, but please look at the illustration on page 173 of the FRCS. See how many folk live UNDERNEATH others, how ramps and streets and hanging bridges between (inhabited) trees link stacked dwellings, and so on? Also, refer to my article “My Slice of Silverymoon” on the WotC website, if it’s still “up” there. Northbank Silverymoon, speaking in very general terms, has buildings of four storeys or so at its western end (two floors of apartments above a floor of either offices or apartments, which is in turn above a street-level shop, with a cellar beneath that’s either shop storage or yet another apartment[s]), but ranges up to soaring six- and seven-floor apartment towers as one gets closer and closer to the High Palace (yes, there are even some eight- and nine-storey towers). So densities may average out to 45, but have a wide variety.
Our Lovely Lady Hooded gave you the correct reason for Southbank having so many more large buildings; it’s the “new expansion neighbourhood” that has room to build big structures (offering, of course, swift access to travellers who don’t have to struggle through as much crowded street traffic to reach them, when arriving from outside the city, as they would for a central Northbank address).
As for the five linked towers jutting out into the water at the downstream (west) end of Southbank, those are armories, stables, a training-yard, and barracks for the Knights in Silver, with fortified housing (and healing/sickrooms) for any mustering or visiting Argent Legion troops. The “jutting out into the water” bits are fortified docks, for receiving supplies, military personnel, and VIPs who must be hidden or protected upon arrival, rather than parading through the streets to an inn or an audience at the Palace, seen by all.
When I say “fortified,” I mean covered: picture stone buildings on stone pilings; the docks have stone walls and slate roofs, and offer access to the river through sliding, metal-sheathed doors like those found on many large Faerűnian barns, or real-world railway boxcars) docks. They also have “just-under-the-eaves” firing ports, for ballista-gunners to rake the river with large (and fiery, if desired) bolts. Though for security reasons few citizens know this, certain of the pilings also serve as anchors for large submerged cages in which aquatic beasts can briefly be imprisoned, or fish kept “live” for timely harvesting and devouring by troops (one of the five fortress towers houses many chimneys for a forge and for a smokehouse; butchered oxen, rothé, and fish are often seasoned and smoked for “trail use” by armies on the move. The tower cellars serve as one of the city’s state granaries (storing food [e.g. bulk flour, grains, dried fruits, potable water in kegs, spirits of various sorts, and pickled vegetables galore] for troops (and, in the event of a siege, the populace).

So saith Ed, the creator and master builder of Silverymoon. Who may someday, if we ask him in JUST the right manner, tell us more about Alustriel’s orgies. The heated, scented pools in which she lounges, swims, and engages in caresses and more with all sorts of visitors and courtiers. I’m purring, just remembering.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2006 :  04:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
quote:
Also, refer to my article “My Slice of Silverymoon” on the WotC website, if it’s still “up” there.

You mean these, THO?

My Slice of Silverymoon, Part One

My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Two

My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Three

My Slice of Silverymoon, Part Four

They certainly look intresting, along with that latest reply on Silverymoon. Thanks for bringing this lore to us!

Edited by - Uzzy on 23 Nov 2006 04:29:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000