Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  05:38:45  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Guys'n'gals, NEVER chase someone when wearing an ankle-lenght evening dress. I had to hike it well above my waist!

kinda reminds me of that story in magehound by elaine cunningham

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  06:07:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

At some point I will know more about Faerun than I do about the real world. And I wouldn't be happier :)

I already do know more about D&D worlds then our world. :)

Indeed.

I'm more than a little embarassed by the fact that I can name locations in the Realms with relative easy, while some real-world locations take time and effort for me to properly pin down.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  10:07:08  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

At some point I will know more about Faerun than I do about the real world. And I wouldn't be happier :)

I already do know more about D&D worlds then our world. :)

Indeed.

I'm more than a little embarassed by the fact that I can name locations in the Realms with relative easy, while some real-world locations take time and effort for me to properly pin down.

hehe. i have it the exact same way Sage :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  02:43:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. This time Ed answers The Sage, re. this: “I'm more than a little hesitant to add to my own backlog of questions for Ed to answer ... but a discussion with a fellow scribe over an aspect in another setting got me thinking about how this aspect is reflected in the Realms. It's about inbreeding, specifically... among the many royal families -- human and demihuman -- and/or long established noble families across the Realms. I know about instances of inbreeding in published Realms material already, for example... like that which is somewhat common among long isolated Underdark races, as well as the inbreeding that occurs among the ruling class of the Gugari people in the Hordelands. There are slight references in other sources... mostly with regard to noble families looking to keep favorable traits within their own family, but I'm looking more for Ed's personal take here and how he's handled the concept in his home Realms campaign, as well as any additional thoughts and/or lore he'd like to sure with me. I realize this can be a sensitive subject, and if you feel it's inappropriate to answer here, I'll understand if you do not wish to elaborate. However, I'm intrigued by this somewhat, and I'd like to learn a little more about how such an aspect is realised in the Realms.”
Ed replies:

No, no, nothing is inappropriate to discuss. After all, you’re talking to a man who’s discussed the visual success of her breast augmentation with a perfect stranger at a LIBRARIAN’S convention, very much in public. (She declined my offer of the taste test, but she was laughing as she did it.) Ahem. Inbreeding: as royalty sets the laws in almost every place in the Realms that has royalty (except in a few city-states, not yet detailed, where priesthoods have strong influences), there’s nothing illegal about inbreeding. It’s rare, and when it does happen is usually mothers marrying sons because the father (the king) has been slain, and the mother wants THAT son (often a bastard) to rule, or fathers (kings) marrying daughters. Sometimes brothers hitch up with sisters - - and uncle/niece and aunt/nephew pairings are quite common and aren’t even thought of (in the Realms) as inbreeding.
Yes, there are inevitable genetic problems. When they become obvious is usually when rules start to get forced into place (and the drooling idiots get locked up and never spoken of again, or killed in “accidents” if they don’t have to be kept around for possible backup breeding purposes).
It’s important to remember that many of the Realms deities encourage “sex for fun” (or even “sex for religious rapture”) and their priests have magical and pharmaceutical meals of preventing contraception, so “it’s only incest if the female partner gets pregnant.” This, by the way, usually means family members satisfy their curiosity and indulge feelings of mutual affection, and then go looking for less “safe and familiar” but far more exciting partners, elsewhere.
What the Realms DOES have, in most places, is laws against bringing rulers back from the dead umpteen times, or ruling as undead. Sometimes a raising done quickly, after battle, can be passed off as “healing,” but otherwise it’s usually “death is final, for crowned heads” (to avoid factions bringing back centuries-worth of kings as pretenders and tearing kingdoms apart in endless civil wars).

So saith Ed. Who seems to own an adequate supply of incest repellent in real life, I might add.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  02:52:00  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Ahem, indeed.

Hmmm... Your "sex for religious rapture" bit has actually prompted another question... but I'm afraid this might delve too depply into "divine rituals" territory. I'll rework the question around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Ed.

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  05:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Yes, there are inevitable genetic problems. When they become obvious is usually when rules start to get forced into place (and the drooling idiots get locked up and never spoken of again, or killed in “accidents” if they don’t have to be kept around for possible backup breeding purposes).

Surprisingly enough, inbreeding is a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface. 2nd Cousins are only marginally more likely than completely unrelated people of having children with genetic flaws. It really all depends on what genetic traits the line has, and if it has any hidden/recessive genetic diseases. Completely unrelated people can have children with hiddeously bad genetics because the two unrelated families just happen to share a genetic disease or two in common. There is no guarantee for anyone to have a genetically flawless child (in fact, I'd even go as far as to say that it's impossible), no matter how unrelated they are to their partner.

The whole "inbreeding results in deformed drooling idiots" only comes about when the genetic lines of the families are too close for too long. If it were otherwise, we'd all be deformed drooling idiots. (Look at the way we breed animals for traits - many "pure" breeds these days do have terrible genetic problems, but that's only because we've been breeding them to themselves for so long. There are ways to keep deformities out, but that usually involves compromise. My mother bred siamese cats for years, but eventually had to give it up (when I was 5 or so - it had become too expensive), and she's quite repulsed by what's happened to the breed since. She used to breed for personality, though, not for "type" - which meant her cats were a lot nicer to look at, IMHO, even if they weren't "typey".)

On that note, I've had a question inspired: Can magic repair genetic damage?

quote:

It’s important to remember that many of the Realms deities encourage “sex for fun” (or even “sex for religious rapture”) and their priests have magical and pharmaceutical meals of preventing contraception, so “it’s only incest if the female partner gets pregnant.” This, by the way, usually means family members satisfy their curiosity and indulge feelings of mutual affection, and then go looking for less “safe and familiar” but far more exciting partners, elsewhere.

I presume you meant "means of preventing conception"!

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  05:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Surprisingly enough, inbreeding is a lot more complicated than it seems on the surface. 2nd Cousins are only marginally more likely than completely unrelated people of having children with genetic flaws.

True, and a marriage between two cousins isn't considered incest in my state (and probably not in other places, either), but it's still...pretty weird, at least in my opinion.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2006 :  10:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:

I presume you meant "means of preventing conception"!

Notable, Cassil (for rendering males temporarily infertile) and Nararoot (for rendering females temporarily infertile).

Bouth found in FRCS if anyone wondered further
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  01:39:03  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Don't know if this has been asked but would Belt's of Magnificence be in Faerun either an item once crafted in the past or will possibly be crafted in future as magic evolves?

In Miniature Handbook, pg 42, gives enhancement bonus to all scores.

Thanks

Also was the question about Stonechild in Faerun cosmology ever asked?
Go to Top of Page

TheRedBard
Seeker

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  02:11:32  Show Profile  Visit TheRedBard's Homepage  Send TheRedBard an AOL message  Send TheRedBard a Yahoo! Message Send TheRedBard a Private Message
Greetings all!
Ed, I decided to break my long lurker status to bring forth a question I've wanted to ask thee for years. (and after checking with Kuje to see if it was worth asking/asked already) I got to hear your audio interview from GC today which is the first time Ive had the honor of hearing your voice and character voices. From that and other interviews you seem like a creative and interesting person, I've wondered if you ever considered writing an autobiography. Perhaps a detailed tome on your background, influences, your views on things etc. I think it would be very interesting to read how you come up with such an amazing amount of lore and get a bit of an idea of how you draw your ideas. Last of all just needed to say, "Thanks for creating the Realms!"

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing!"
-Robin Williams, 1978 HBO Special
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  03:53:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Thanks, TheRedBard, I'll relay your post to Ed right away. (His reply might not be so swift, because his family is visiting him for the next week or so, and THAT insanity occupies most of his time!)
However, he DID manage to send me a lore reply.
This time Ed answers lobotraxx, about this: “In the short story, coming out of the Realms of the Underdark, "A Slow Day in Skullport" there are several characters that are mentioned at the end of the story that may show up in future stories. The characters are Torthan, Voundarra, Zarissa, and a black dragon called Vulharindauloth. Which novels do they show up again in to tell more of their fate because it kind of left that part hanging? Thanks again.”
Ed replies:

Nowhere yet, Lobotraxx. One of the keys to making the Realms seem alive is to create endless “loose ends” for later use, either as DMs or “official” designers and fiction writers (witness all the novels that spotlight supporting characters I’ve created, from Khelben to Elaith to The Simbul and Lauzoril, written by other writers than me). The four characters you mention are one of those loose ends, although I do have plans for them - - if I EVER dig myself out of the logjam of seven contracted novels that I’m flailing around in right now, and have some time to spin short stories again.
By which time, of course, it’ll be the right occasion to rap on the Publishing Groups’ cubicles at Wizards again and do another short story collection. :}
So you haven’t missed out on any appearances yet. Now, back to Chapter 33 of [NDA] for me . . .

So saith Ed. Who hasn’t stopped being a large and increasingly fat and hairy tease, I see.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  14:19:26  Show Profile  Visit Thangorn's Homepage Send Thangorn a Private Message
Greetings Ed, THO and esteemed scribes of Candlekeep..

Thanks for continuing to create such a wonderfully vibrant campaign world for us to enjoy.

Just a quick question.. I've been hunting through and havent seen it answered yet (but its possible I missed it)

What role does the High Imperceptor of Bane play in the current status quo of the Church of Bane? Is there any possibility of getting some more detail on the current heirarchy of the Church of Bane in the Moonsea region?

[edited: just one more thing]
What is the status of the (former?)Lords of the council Zhentil Keep? Lord Payr'adar and Lord Halaster survived but who did Manshoon save from the destruction of Zhentil Keep and what are they up to?

Thanks very much, keep up the fantastic work

Cheers

A Land Far Away (ALFA)
A Forgotten Realms persistent world for Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
www.alandfaraway.org

Head Builder, DM & FR canon despot ALFA NWN2 Moonsea project.

Edited by - Thangorn on 28 Aug 2006 15:54:09
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  02:09:41  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Forgot this bit, in Ed's Faerun can a Monk leave the class and return later, was placed there as a youth, left to adventure and learn other skills, and later in his maturity seeks the solace of monk lifestyle again elsewhere in the world. Whats to stop him from becoming a monk again?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:17:29  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

Actually, that's a misunderstanding. Ed wrote everything canonical re: Qilue's history et al in SEVEN SISTERS. All I ever did was toss ideas around with Ed over beer and say, "Hey, what if that Dark Sister were ACTUALLY a drow?" That'll teach me to open my mouth.

Steven
Who tries never to claim creation for things that sprang from others' brains....

-Well, Steve, why Drow? Why not, say, an ebony-skinned Human, or something else?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  03:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message
I was just thinking about something today, not very important, so there's no rush to answer. Are there any signatures in the realms that are famous/instantly recognizable? Could you describe them at all? I could see signatures such as Azoun's being famous, posted on royal proclamations or such posters around the realms - or are they used as such? Are signatures used at all beyond highest formalities? Are there any well known (well, comparitively for such a business) businesses that forge signatures? Do commoners often use them, or do they stick with an X when required (or realms equivalent). Maybe there is other information I haven't thought of that you can, or anecdotes from the DMing days.
And one last thought, if you deal with it at all: in deals with devils (or demons, should one be foolish enough), selling one's soul, do they often require written contracts with the person's signature (or blood?), or is verbal enough?

Thanks for your time, as always.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  14:34:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed tackles a query from HunterOfStorms this time, to whit: “I've recently been looking through Power of Faerun with particular interest in the Heralds section and am wondering whether the Heralds (in the context of the over-arching organisation) are humano-centric - ie. only keep track of human related heraldry (even in mixed populations) - or whether they maintain a broader purview. Which leads into a couple of questions :)
How far back beyond their founding would any records of the Heralds stretch (and how accurate might they be - are they that interested in confirming any snippets of lore they might uncover relating to heraldic lines before their official records begin)?
Is there any Herald prescence in exclusively non-human settlements, eg. Evermeet, Evereska, Luiren, The Great Rift etc.? Or even in predominently non-human places? If not, then do the Heralds communicate at all with the equivalent heraldic lore keepers of other races - and who might these lore keepers be?
Hmm, possibly more than a couple of questions :) and I'm sure I'll think of yet more in the future.
The recent House Alastrarra reply was lovely, Might we possibly see more of a similar nature in Realmslore columns, perchance?
Many thanks as always,
Hunter”
Ed replies:

A pleasure! To respond to your last, first: I’d love to serve forth detailed Realmslore all the time here at Candlekeep, but I’m going to be tearingly busy for at least the next two years with all sorts of things that I mostly can’t tell anyone about, yet. I literally have to snatch about ten minutes a day to write a lore reply and then fight with my aging dialup for another fifteen minutes or so (it loves to disconnect me, often and repeatedly) to get it posted. I deeply, achingly wish I had more TIME to do . . . everything. :}
Now, as for the Heralds: they are definitely humano-centric. They were started by humans who saw the route to civilization to copying the elven family pride, cherishing of traditions, remembering the past clearly and celebrating good achievements and “honour.” Elves, by and large, didn’t cooperate with them and still don’t (Myth Drannor and scattered individual moon elves are exceptions). Half-elves (rebuffed by “pure” elves) eagerly did and do cooperate. The Heralds are interested in all genealogy and heraldry (human first and foremost, just because it’s the main corpus of their work, and “mustn’t be neglected”), but in general, elves and dwarves are too proud and private to yield up family or clan records and lore to mere humans (and the Heralds are predominately human and half-elven), gnomes and halflings are often whimsical when it comes to matters of heraldry, thinking it’s silly pretention and quite aside from the serious business of being able to orally recite family trees back into the “Dawn Mists,” and orcs only want to cooperate with the Heralds long enough to stick blades into them and get them onto a roasting-spit for a swift meal. In a settled urban population, the Heralds would certainly keep track of the genealogies of all races - - but note that they are interested in ruling, “founding” or armigerous families, not ALL families.
Their records back before their founding are very spotty and shaky, but they are intensely interested in “confirming any snippets of lore they might uncover relating to heraldic lines before their official records begin,” and often pay sages and others whose judgement they know they can trust to undertake investigations (as well as buying lore-records from all manner of adventurers and peddlers, trustworthy and decidedly un- ).
There are permanent heralds attached to the ruling courts of Luiren and some gnome and halfling holds; elsewhere, Heralds travel and make temporary “updating the rolls” contacts with non-human lorekeepers in such places as Evereska (at the pleasure of such lore keepers, though most demi-human faiths preach that cooperation with the Heralds is a Good Thing, and Should Be Done, and the Heralds strike up friendships and take care to make their services useful and available to the lorekeepers they’re dealing with: “Of course I’ll trade you the family tree of the Angrath family for what I want, and NOT ask why you want it”). The lorekeepers tend to be far-sighted family elders, sages, and heralds, envoys, and judges among the demi-human communities.

So saith Ed. In the home Realms campaign, the Heralds are far more “everday socially prominent” than they are in the published Realms, by the way. One of these days I’d like to see Ed write a Heralds novel. Hmmm, think I’ll suggest it - - just to watch him scream and tear out handfuls of hair . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  15:06:03  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

One of these days I’d like to see Ed write a Heralds novel. Hmmm, think I’ll suggest it - - just to watch him scream and tear out handfuls of hair . . .
love to all,
THO
You and me both, milady, you and me both.

I'd love some extra novel attention for the Heralds. Maybe if a few of us also throw our support behind your suggestion, Ed'll really consider it... maybe even tear at his beard as well.

Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage  Click to see Kalin Agrivar's MSN Messenger address Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message
I have a question for Ed

(and I did a quick search in the forums, looked in Candlekeep [especially the Wonderous Treasures section] first...and it is spelled "whether" when writing "whether or not" (or something similar), not "weather"..and I just found out that "wether" refers to a castrated male sheep! )

when you first designed the maps for Faerun did you add or make any notes on the weather systems? Especially the prevalent winds (wind belts and jet streams) and ocean currents (for the inner sea and the outer oceans)? Do you know of anyone that has done so? And if you did, did you place the forests and such in consideration of winds and precipitation?

I am trying to build a few maps, especially pre-Sundering global maps..and it would really help!

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand

Edited by - Kalin Agrivar on 29 Aug 2006 15:37:44
Go to Top of Page

lobotraxx
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  01:44:50  Show Profile  Visit lobotraxx's Homepage Send lobotraxx a Private Message
Thanks again, THO and Ed for answering my question. Until next question.....
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4709 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  02:56:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Speaking of Heralds ...

Out of all the feedback from my "Impiltur" article the one thing that has surprised me is that no-one has latched onto the fact that I created a new High Herald. Or if they did, they did not consider it noteworthy. Ah well, I'll have to get more creative the next time ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 30 Aug 2006 02:56:59
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  03:50:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, gentles! Ed answers createvmind this time, in the matter of: “Great lore which leads me to wonder in Faerun could one Nurue-like person have trained at a monastery in one place, spend years adventurering and then return to the monastic life style. Basically in Faerun could one be monk while young/orphan and not find it appealing then after adventuring say as ranger decide settle down and return to such monastic lifestyle. Does the Monk restriction in D&D overwrite realms living in preventing one from taking monk levels after cross-classing?”
Ed replies:

Of COURSE one can leave the monastic life for adventuring and then return. In fact, most folk who’ve been maimed while adventuring and somehow survived and found their ways “home” end up in monastic care one way or another, either in “madhouses” or almshouses within the monastery or outside it, or by deeding their city and town homes or farms to the monastery in return for the monks caring for them there, as they live out their lives. So one can indeed be born in a monastery or raised in a monastery, then leave to become a ranger, and then later decide to return to that or another monastery (unless one’s behaviour as a ranger so angers a deity as to prevent it, which is very rare). Rules “restrictions” should NEVER override setting lore, although DMs must take care that “bending the rules” doesn’t allow a player to run roughshod over campaign balance, unintentionally or cunningly, by getting this concession and then that concession, until a PC is all-powerful and the fun has been ruined for everyone else.

So saith Ed. Who was a fond Brother Cadfael reader, when “Ellis Peters” was still alive and bring us new tomes annually.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  02:16:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. More Realmslore from Ed, this time a response to Jorkens, re. this: “What is the size of the major Faerunian rivers? I am thinking of average width and depth. In the sources I have seen the only information is the sailabilty of the waterways, but nothing more. I also wondered about the riverbanks on the major rivers; are we talking heavy vegetation, grassy banks or marshes. The Ashaba is pretty easy to guess, but i am wondering about rivers like the Chionthar and Winding Water.
I am sorry for increasing the already mounting heap of questions, but I cant remember ever seen anything on this subject.
Thank you for any information you can give on the subject.”
Ed replies:

See Page 24 of this (2006) thread for a detailed answer about the River Surbrin.
The rivers of the Sword Coast North tend to be cold, gravel-and-rock bottomed, and fairly clear, with “wetweed” mosses growing under their strongly-flowing waters, and good fishing. Most are forty to sixty feet wide in most places (water only, not their much wider valleys), and have banks of rocks, shrubs, and little “washout” clefts choked with driftwood, pebbles, sand, reeds, and stunted trees.
As one moves south, into warmer climes, the rivers broaden (sixty to eighty feet) and the trees have some hope of surviving longer and growing taller, so the banks get lined with clumps of trees except where humans and other races are stupid enough to cut such growth back. Flow slows, the rivers get shallower (usually around ten to twelve feet at the deepest) as well as broader, and sunlight gets a chance to warm the waters more, so algae and underwater growth and life is more abundant.
The Winding Water is a slow, meandering, dark-water river with oxbows and marshes flanking them for much of its run. It tends to be about fourteen feet deep in most places, but the land flooded by it contains many clefts and hollows, which are now forty- to sixty-foot deep “hidden lakes” in its swamps and main channel. The banks of the river are hard to find, cloaked in reeds and then a zone of “spongy” wet ground ovegrown with tall grasses, willows, and other root-wet trees, before giving way to other trees on slightly drier ground.
By contrast, the Chionthar is like a shipping channel for much of its length: eighty feet or more wide, thirty feet or more deep, slow-moving in its lower stretch (below the confluence), silty (so one can never see through the waters), and serving as the sewer of the cities along it.
In short, the rivers of Faerûn are very much like rivers in the real world everywhere (sans modern phosphate and heavy industry pollution, of course), and offer the full variety. Trees and other riverbank growth is abundant wherever it hasn’t been cut back by intelligent-race (usually human) activity or settlement.

So saith Ed. Whose cottage is on a mighty river system.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  02:51:49  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed and THO,

Did you get my emails that I sent this week. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2949 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  08:35:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I am at your feet in thanks sweet Lady of the Hood and give thanks to the Great Beard of the North to; this was just what I was looking for. I have been wondering about those rivers for years.

I will hold others of my innumerable questions for a little while so as to not burden you both any further.

Again thank you.

Jorkens.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  15:33:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
At my feet?
Ooooh, Jorkens! While you're down there . . .
[purr]
Ahem. Kuje: yes, got your message (just one), and repy sent.
Fellow scribes: unfortunately Ed is "right on deadline" at the moment, and is going to have to fall silent for six or seven days. Which frees me to rush around and do a lot of fieldwork, which means that I'll drop offline too.
Not for very long, so keep the questions coming!
Also, Ed has a query for all of you: what do you feel has been the most neglected place and character in the Realms? He's not looking for really obscure "never covered" elements here, but rather ones that published Realmslore have left you wanting to know more about . . . but that we've then "not delivered." The intriguing want-to-know-more-abouts, in other words. Please post them here, and I'll relay them to Ed the moment he and I are back in contact.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000