Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  17:55:25  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage  Send atlas689 an AOL message Send atlas689 a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
First off thanx for everything you do here at Candlekeep as I'm sure it takes up much of your time and effort. My question is simple are any of the following NPC's still alive currently in Faerun?

Aesperus: Male Human Lich
Kyristan the Dead King: Male Human Lich
Darien: Male Human
DelRoy Harpell: Male Human Wiz 23
Arconi: Male Human Wiz 30
Baden: Female Human Wiz 31
Kyllyrd: Male Half-Elf
Mellomir: Male Human Wiz 27
Nchaser: Male Human Wiz 27

Thanx for everything!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  18:57:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
RevJest, that day can be Wednesday if I can get back off assignment (I'm keying this into my wirephone while skydiving - - no kidding!) in time. I'll try.
Stig, there's a heavy NDA on Halaster right now. Ed is afraid he can tell you darn near nothing, but I expect a message from him waiting for me, when I can get back to a real computer.
Guys'n'gals, NEVER chase someone when wearing an ankle-lenght evening dress. I had to hike it well above my waist!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29646 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  19:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Guys'n'gals, NEVER chase someone when wearing an ankle-lenght evening dress. I had to hike it well above my waist!

And the problem with that is?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  20:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

But there´s no problemn in stay quiet, only looking someone doing this, no?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  21:38:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
Dear Master Ed and Lady THO,

What is the general attitude in the West and Central Heartlands on the issue of charity? A household falls on hard times, what would be the response of the community? To what extent have attitudes of social generosity been influenced by the churches?

Also how would people feel about outsiders to the community? For example, starving adventurers, human refugees of famine, or dwarves fleeing orcish invasion?

Much thanks!
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  23:59:29  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

RevJest, that day can be Wednesday if I can get back off assignment (I'm keying this into my wirephone while skydiving - - no kidding!) in time. I'll try.

Just showing my enthusiasm for such a tale. Plus, it was worth a try. :)

I'll be glad to 'hear' your fine tale when time, and the gods, permit.

- RJ

Edited by - RevJest on 24 Aug 2006 00:00:08
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  04:28:34  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage  Click to see Neriandal Freit's MSN Messenger address Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
quote:

Stig, there's a heavy NDA on Halaster right now. Ed is afraid he can tell you darn near nothing, but I expect a message from him waiting for me, when I can get back to a real computer.

To view through your eyes for just a day would be something Lady THO.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  15:10:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, THANK you, N-F!
RevJest hath cajoled, and I (belatedly) answer the call:

Ahem. Your command is my wish (in the words of masochists everywhere).
Torm and Rathan were scouting in one direction (seeking a Zhent trail we knew was somewhere near), whilst the rest of us were scouting in other directions. Rathan saw the priestess first, from a distance, but thought her to be a human who’d been tied up and then crisped with fire magic, to be a warning-marker.
Torm’s eyesight was a little better. He told Rathan that the “corpse” obviously meant a Zhent cache or hidehold was near, and (as a far-from-stealthy cleric) Rathan should get back to the rest of us, to inform and bring us hither - - whilst Torm the Professional took care of creeping around and spying.
Rathan agreed and departed. Torm went straight to the priestess, cut her down, took her to the nearest swampy ground to lave her in mud, gave her water to drink and rubbed ointment into the worst of her weals (and picked the maggots out of them), and told her that Lolth had abandoned her, allowing the Zhents to so mistreat and humiliate her, but that Eilistraee had personally commanded him to seek and find her, and “treat her as a lover.”
She received this news in bewilderment that overrode her disbelief, and rather timidly responded to his efforts to befriend her, giving her name as Aelrae and doing nothing to fight or defy him (though without spells, weak and wounded, dehydrated and only able to stay conscious for brief periods, she was hardly in a position to resist). Torm sang to her, stroked her, washed and fed her, combed out her tangled hair, and gave her sips of healing potions when she was too sleepy to be fully aware of what was going on.
By the time we found them, Aelrae and Torm were more than friends: they were lovers, inseparable and all over each other and constantly engaged in barbed, teasing conversations. That frankly made the rest of us afraid, because the two of them were developing ever-more-elaborate schemes to do damage to the Zhents running caravans through the Stonelands.
At first we sought to dissuade or stop them, but we were deep in the Stonelands, with Zhent patrols starting to look for us, and Aelrae and Torm threatened to reveal our location and plunge us all into a “last stand” battle against the Zhents if we didn’t go along with them in their planned raids. So, we went along with them, our rubber arms firmly twisted. :}
Those two started by stalking and slaying a Zhent mageling so they could get his rings and wands. Then they started stealthy night ambushes, making us play the “diversion” attackers, and in about a tenday disrupted all Zhent travel through Yellow Snake Pass. The exasperated local Zhent commander, not daring to admit to his superiors that anything more than “blundering brigands” were “annoying” Zhents in the area, tried one all-out attack, a few traps that Aelrae and Torm watched being set up and so were in no danger from at all - - and then gave up on the Pass and turned to an older, slower way the Zhents had through the Stonelands: a narrow, winding subterranean caravan route that was very narrow and hence slow (only one-way travel was possible at a time).
Aelrae and Torm promptly found two caverns where their captured arsenal of wands could trigger cave-ins, and collapsed them - - walling up a large Zhent caravan alive, trapping them in a section of passage now cut off at both ends by the fallen rock filling the two caverns. They would have to dig or blast their ways out, or die in the dark from lack of air, water, and food.
They tried, but their blasting spells only brought down more of the passage - - by which time Aelrae and Torm were at one end of the blockage, awaiting Zhent rescuers and adding them to the imprisoned by triggering more cavern-falls in their wake.
Eventually all of this drew some high-ranking Zhents to the Stonelands, to see what was amiss - - and of course the Zhents there (not wanting to be slain in torment) fed them all sorts of wild stories of various formidable foes. Aelrae and Torm happily looted and ambushed some of these higher-ups, until Manshoon himself arrived on dragonback - - whereupon Aelrae astonished Torm by kissing him farewell and stealing the dragon (revealing to him that it was her lifelong ambition, the stuff of her childhood dreams - - and that she’d fallen out of beliving all of his Eilstraee tales long ago, but stayed with him because he was so tender and clever and fun)! The last we saw of her was the gigantic black dragon winging west with her clinging to its back and Manshoon frowning at it, trying to decide what was making his steed behave so oddly; had it scented a suitable mate at last? If so, he didn’t want to do anything that might mar its mating. So he let it (and Aelrae) go.
By which time we’d gotten a weeping Torm well away from Manshoon’s spells, because Jhessail had seen and recognized Hesperdan approaching from afar, and the last thing any of us wanted was to get caught between Manshoon and the REAL power among the Zhentarim. Florin and Jhessail burned a lot of our arsenal of magics whisking all of us right out of the Stonelands and into hiding - - right in the heart of an unfolding intrigue in Westgate! THAT little plot in the end took us into one of Vangerdahast’s Purple Dragon pay caches, in a secret location in Cormyr, and Torm got over his heartbreak by wading chin-deep in gold coins, and figuring out how to shift them all back to Shadowdale (I won’t tell you how he managed it, because we might need to use a variation on his tactic someday, and if all of you start doing it the Purple Dragons and fistfuls of opportunistic Sembians will both be ready to foil us).
Years later, when Torm was depressed, Jhessail paid one of the top courtesans in Saerloon VERY well to submit to a shapechanging magic that left her looking like a scarred-by-recent-flogging drow female, and sent her in to surprise Torm for a night. In the morning, she wearily informed us that Torm had certainly surprised HER, and that she’d earned every last copper coin Jhessail had paid her.
Torm, ever the rogue, went around smiling like a contented cat for a tenday.
As I said, one of the weirder adventures we Knights have yet had.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  15:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Weirder and amazing, THO!
And I was here, thinking that my players are the only ones that came with strange plots that put my campaigns spinning like a certain tazmanian devil.

Oh, and I imagine the face of Ed DMing this...

Thanks for share this good moment with us, THO.

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 24 Aug 2006 15:25:44
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  16:12:03  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Duly noted. A kilt works well though (plus, it gives you an excuse to shout abuse at people you bump into with an appallingly bad scottish accent). Oh, and I echo Wooly's question on the subject

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:04:55  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
quote:

Well, i guess a "heavy NDA" means that we`re finally getting something about halaster sometime in the future. Which is good news :)

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
Probably has to do with the Undermountain product that is slated for 2007.
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29646 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  17:29:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love to all,
THO

Thank you for sharing that tale, my Lady. 'Tis a good one, and one that's got me pondering doing something similar...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  00:28:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. THO here once more (wearing my gown held up over my waist for the special benefit of Chosen of Moradin and dearest Wooly, to whom I say: there’s nothing at all wrong with doing this, except you have to hold it up with your teeth, which hampers breathing; do enjoy my lack of underfrillies, by the way) with some quick housekeeping for Ed and divers scribes:

Chosen of Moradin, you posted a question from one of your players about flora and fauna of the Great Dale. He is aware of the details contained in the UNAPPROACHABLE EAST sourcebook, yes?

createvmind, Ed has dealt with deity-specific oaths several times here at Candlekeep, but those non-deity-specific “basic” curses you’re seeking are found in a reply on Page 33 of the 2004 “ask Eddie” thread (hidden on page 2 of the Chamber of Sages).

Also, Skeptic, you asked “1) Do I have pending questions for Ed except the one about yuan-ti and other snakefolks in the north ?” and “2) I'm looking to play with the FR setting in another game than D&D, so I want to remove some "D&Dism" from the published (3.x) realms. Would it be okay to ask to Ed a series of short questions like "does X comes from the setting or D&D rules/design principles"?”

The short answers to 1 and 2 are both “yes.”
The longer answers are:
1. Yep. Specifically: a rider to RodOdom’s query about Skullport (its secrecy or lack of same in Waterdeep); queries about the Roaring Dragon House (DRAGON article); queries about the Masked Lady Lhestyn; queries about a now-destroyed temple of Bane that once stood near Secomber; a request for quick info on Phlan, Melvaunt, and the ruins of Yûlash/Hulburg/Sulyaspryn (that hopefully SONS OF GRUUMSH and MYSTERIES OF THE MOONSEA have largely answered, though of course Dargoth and others have posted requests in this thread for Ed to clear up Realmslore inconsistencies regarding those publications); a question about the current status of Llorkh (that Ed has been avoiding thanks to the RPGA Green Regent campaign; can any scribes post for us all here some indication of how that now-wound-up campaign affected Llorkh?); a question about reptilian monsters in the relatively-cold-climate Serpent Hills / Backlands / Forest of Wyrms areas; and a recent request for Ed to tell us all more about the Unicorn Run. (We don’t forget a single question, folks, even if some of them are taking two years to answer!)

2. Yes, by all means! Bring ’em on! (So saith Ed.)
A man who obviously LOVES punishment, at least when it comes in the form of being buried under ever-increasing heaps of Realmslore queries from eager scribes. . .

Evil Knight, I’m sorry, but Ed has no idea when his next book signing in California (which would also be his first book signing in California) will be. He rarely has time to do book tours these days, though he sometimes drives to libraries and bookstores where he’s been asked to do a public appearance (if they’re located in Ontario, Canada, where he lives). The best way to reliably get to meet Ed is to attend GenCon Indy and try to pre-arrange a meeting with him; many Realms fans and writers do that, every year. But thanks for the praise, and watch this thread, because if Ed ever does know he’s heading to California, he’ll let everyone know, right here!

And to Wandering_mage, Ed and I both say: Thank you. Such thanks and praise warm us in our weary and depressed moments (when things go wrong or it becomes apparent that WotC has lost ANOTHER file from years upon years ago, and could Ed just whip up a replacement and send it in in, oh, say, the next five minutes or so, because designers are waiting), and make all the time and work worthwhile. So, thank YOU.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  04:25:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
1. Yep. Specifically: a query about Skullport (its secrecy or lack of same in Waterdeep); Added detail : What I would really want to know is how the ships can "secretly" go from the city's harbor to the nearby "south sea caves" without being noticed by the Guard.
2. queries about the Roaring Dragon House
3. queries about the Masked Lady Lhestyn
4. queries about a now-destroyed temple of Bane that once stood near Secomber;
5. a request for quick info on Phlan, Melvaunt, and the ruins of Yûlash/Hulburg/Sulyaspryn (those last two weren't covered. What's going on for clan Hulmaster, what about the lich Aesperus and the like.)
6. a question about the current status of Llorkh
7. a question about reptilian monsters in the relatively-cold-climate Serpent Hills / Backlands / Forest of Wyrms areas;
8. a recent request for Ed to tell us all more about the Unicorn Run.

That last one was more a wishful thinking than a query, but..

I stroked some of these old queries because the campaign to which they were related came to a stop. Knowing how much Ed's busy, I prefer to keep only "important" ones.

I also have a more recent one about faith that Ed pretty covered with my first one about nearly the same topic. I'll clear this thing and post my series of "D&Dism in FR" questions later.

Edited by - Skeptic on 25 Aug 2006 04:33:28
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  05:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

a question about the current status of Llorkh (that Ed has been avoiding thanks to the RPGA Green Regent campaign; can any scribes post for us all here some indication of how that now-wound-up campaign affected Llorkh?)

Wizards have plot recaps of all LOGR modules up on the Wizards of the Coast site

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/frgr

LGR 22 has the biggest effect on Llorkh (And the realms in general)as it revolves around what would be a violation of Fzouls agreement with Blackstaff.

The Zhents of Llorkh (Led by Banites) are about to lead an army against Loudwater (The Players are doing a recon job and must find out as much as they can about the invasion and bring the infomation back to Loudwater they not in a position to stop the invasion

To the best of my knowledge LGR22 was the last module in series and has left the situation hanging with no conclusion

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
2877 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  06:36:34  Show Profile  Send Lord Karsus an AOL message Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
Ed, I've got another question that needs answering!

-Qilue Veladorn, the youngest of the Seven Sisters, is a Drow. I can accept the in-game explanation of the "exceptional circumstances" of her birth. But, why was she made a Drow? For a while, she was simply known as the "Dark Sister", which didn't neccesarily imply anything one way or another.

-Was Qilue always supposed to be a Dark Elf, or was this something that TSR eventually decided, as (at the time) Drow equaled popularity, which equaled more money?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  06:43:06  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Qilue Veladorn, the youngest of the Seven Sisters, is a Drow. I can accept the in-game explanation of the "exceptional circumstances" of her birth. But, why was she made a Drow? For a while, she was simply known as the "Dark Sister", which didn't neccesarily imply anything one way or another.

-Was Qilue always supposed to be a Dark Elf, or was this something that TSR eventually decided, as (at the time) Drow equaled popularity, which equaled more money?

You're better off asking Steven since Steven is the one that detailed her history and how she became a drow, not Ed. :) So that's your answer for your second question, since Steven made her a drow.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Aug 2006 06:44:05
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  13:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all. THO here once more (wearing my gown held up over my waist for the special benefit of Chosen of Moradin and dearest Wooly, to whom I say: there’s nothing at all wrong with doing this, except you have to hold it up with your teeth, which hampers breathing; do enjoy my lack of underfrillies, by the way) with some quick housekeeping for Ed and divers scribes:

Chosen of Moradin, you posted a question from one of your players about flora and fauna of the Great Dale. He is aware of the details contained in the UNAPPROACHABLE EAST sourcebook, yes?

Ohh! Now, were is that thread about the landscapes of Faerûn?

Ahem.
Yes, he have read the Unapprocheable East, and we have collected the details in the Lady of Poison, too. Anyway, he want to learn more, to stay more "in tune" with the character (this things happen when you let your players see the marvelous Elminster Ecologies.

"I told to that stuborn dwarf, don´t drink a full bottle of jhuild. He will be of no help if he don´t recover soon. Well, let´s see with we find some leafs of lulhara, a native herb here of the Dale. It will help him to recover, and stop the nausea."

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  15:48:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

You're better off asking Steven since Steven is the one that detailed her history and how she became a drow, not Ed. :) So that's your answer for your second question, since Steven made her a drow.

Actually, that's a misunderstanding. Ed wrote everything canonical re: Qilue's history et al in SEVEN SISTERS. All I ever did was toss ideas around with Ed over beer and say, "Hey, what if that Dark Sister were ACTUALLY a drow?" That'll teach me to open my mouth.

Steven
Who tries never to claim creation for things that sprang from others' brains....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  02:33:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ohhhh, but Steven, all sorts of good things go into designers' mouths when they're open. Or so (purr) Ed tells me.
Ahem.
Hi, all! This time, Ed answers Kuje, in the matter of: “How do elven light houses, in places that elves have ports, Evermeet most likely, differ from human light houses? Are there any magical light houses, I figured that there might be. How do the different light houses on the ports of the Sword Coast differ from those that could be found on the ports of the Sea of Fallen Stars? Maybe give us some details on the different light houses found in a few of those ports. Any details about any light houses that can be found among Spelljamming ports that are in Wildspace and on the planets...”
Ed replies:

Many early human lighthouses were built as copies of elven ones: that is, soaring towers at the mouth of a harbor (e.g. Baldur’s Gate) with lights atop them.
The main difference between elf and human lighthouses is that almost all of the elven beacons employ stones enspelled to glow intensely in darkness, rather than fire (that must either burn wood, something elves find distasteful, or burn oil, something they rarely have enough supply of “to just burn it, every night”).
Humans (with brief exceptions, e.g. Netheril, Myth Drannor at its height, Silverymoon and Halruaa right now, and so on) have far more rarely had access to sufficiently powerful magic to make bright, unfailing night beacons. (Holy sites, such as seashore-located major temples) are an exception to this.
Therefore, human lighthouses usually are glorified wooden bonfires - - that is, beacons perched on natural rocky heights, or atop towers. They are often roofed over with stone or something treated to inhibit burning, so as to keep blazing beacons or fires alight during driving rainstorms, and to keep handy stored firewood dry.
Of the human lighthouses that do employ magical radiances, more of them are “always on” (so that they are physically hooded when keepers want to “show no light,” whereas elven lights have more sophisticated enchantments that can be turned off by touching them and uttering phrases, but otherwise go “on” and “off” in accordance with the light or darkness around them).
Sword Coast lights must be visible from far out (above shore fogs), and so tend to be high up. Sea of Fallen Stars lights more often tend to be low down, near water-level, and to be used as “leading lights” (in other words, a mariner who sails so as to get them “lined up,” one above the other, is on the correct heading to safely find a narrow navigable channel or harbor mouth in the dark). [This is of course a generalization, and hence correct only in the majority of cases, not in every instance.]
For obvious reasons, spelljamming ports that are entered through holes (hollow asteroids, or berths that are cavities in such places as the Rock of Bral) will often employ pairs of lights as “leading lights,” to avoid having incoming vessels crash near their entrances.
Many Sword Coast pirate ports are customarily ‘dark,’ and lack towers. They may have war-beacons on rocky heights (employing treated wood that will burn specific colors, when lit on special occasions to send specific messages such as “War! Ships assemble here!” or “Keep clear! Port now in enemy hands!”), but usually “show lights” only at water level, by using “light ships” (beacons on moored ships, usually too old to be seaworthy, that are near shore, and can be swiftly scuttled to “turn them off,” or towed to lead hostile mariners astray (onto shoals), rather than by permanent lighthouses.
Evermeet has two sorts of magical beacons: visual and “attuned.” Attuned beacons, when activated, give off magical radiations that can be felt or sensed by those using the correct spells, or carrying the right magic items, rather than emitting any radiance. Attuned beacons can be “homed in on;” some of them even cause spelljamming helms to “sing” or resonate at particular pitches, that drop in volume or key if a ship changes its heading or moves away from the beacon source. There are family attuned beacons, royal beacons that the navy uses - - and no one, these days, uses them much; captains either know their way around near Evermeet, or don’t approach it at all because they aren’t elves and fear the elven skyships defending Evermeet.
I’d love to give specific descriptions of a few dozen lighthouses and port approaches in the dark, but I’m afraid I just haven’t time. Sorry, Kuje.

So saith Ed. Who continues to be frantically busy (something we’ll all benefit from, eventually, remember).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  02:54:10  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Thanks Ed. That's pretty good lore :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  03:48:32  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage  Send GothicDan an AOL message  Send GothicDan an ICQ Message  Click to see GothicDan's MSN Messenger address  Send GothicDan a Yahoo! Message Send GothicDan a Private Message
Seconding Kuje here! Wow!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  05:19:48  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
At some point I will know more about Faerun than I do about the real world. And I wouldn't be happier :)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  05:26:58  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

At some point I will know more about Faerun than I do about the real world. And I wouldn't be happier :)

I already do know more about D&D worlds then our world. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000