Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2006)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  18:29:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
RodOdom, you're very welcome.
And to answer you very briefly re. orcs and other goblinkin, and humans, dwarves, elves, half-elves, et al: judging by the Realms as Ed runs it as DM, YES.
I'll leave it to him for the usual for complete (and far more stylish, but slower ) answer, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  19:56:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
RevJest,

Checking Demihuman Deities, we see that most of the drow pantheon are Eilistraee's foes, so they aren't likely candidates for worship. Her listed allies are: Callarduaran Smoothhands, Haela Brightaxe, Lurue, Mystra, the Seldarine, Selûne. Elven and Faerûn gods that they come across on the surface.

But I imagine, given her mythology of rescue, Eilistraee is a larger presence than usual in her worshippers' religious consciousness.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2006 :  21:12:04  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello Ed,

While I wait on troll reply I shall shift slightly north to the Lizard Marsh and poke about there seeking anything that the lizard men could possibly trade to humans, or better yet humans would want within the marsh and could trade peacefully for. From FRCS it seems there may have recently been a lizard man of some potential, would their gods dogma cause them to simply continue trying to prey on caravans or would they possibly be making strides in other non-violent relations.

My NPC has found a possible doompit within the (I assume, hilly plains), between Trollbark forest and Lizard Marsh, seeks to establish a haven which may potentially grow, wants to stay obviously closer to the Marsh and set up relations with lizard folk from a position of strength but not seeking to dominate lizard -men. Wishes the marsh to be somewhat of a buffer while providing water- wells? several miles rom Marsh he believes he can dig down and find good water. These are various relating to my story and any feedback is helpful to anything a adventurer would come across thats not on map anywhere in that area and all the way to the coast.

Thanks as always
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  00:06:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. This time Ed replies to Kuje’s May 2006 request: “What can you tell us about Alamanther of Aglarond? In what year did he die? What was his short stats? How long was he the Simbul's consort? Did he invent any other spells? What did he look like and what was his race and how did he dress, in general? What was his personality? Is there any other history about this NPC that you could share? Did they have any offspring? And as usual, I'll leave it open ended so you can add anything that you think you might want to share. :)
I found the reference in Magic of Faerun under his spell. :) See, it pays to actually finally sit down and read 3/3.5e FR sourcebooks cover to cover, which is what I've been doing. :)”
Ed replies:

Alamanther of Aglarond was a tall, thin, black-haired and -bearded, blue-eyed NG male Chondathan human of shy, stammering, silent-footed manner who was born in Corth, in Aglarond, circa 1299 DR, showed a natural aptitude for the Art that caused him to be snapped up as an apprentice by an ambitious traveling wizard, Ustragus of Telflamm, trained to be a researcher and spell-crafter - - and more or less walled up in a spell-hidden tower Ustragus owned in Altumbel. He spent his days working creatively with magic, padding around the tower in simple robes and soft slippers, frowning over experiments and details of possible incantations, writing meticulous notes, and “trying” ever-more modified castings. He kept no secrets from Ustragus and did nothing for himself or against his master, devoting himself to crafting spell after spell that he presented to Ustragus. Most of them were modifications of existing spells (Ustragus gently “steered” Alamanther into examing certain sorts of spells without ever giving him direct orders), and Ustragus took and used them to his own profit and advancement.
Where the Simbul, nosing around to see what Ustragus was up to (she correctly suspected him of being in the pay of some folk of Aglarond who wanted her overthrown), discovered Alamanther in 1330 DR (by which time “the Shy Mage In The Tower” was about a Wiz12). She took the shape of a common bird (a grayfeather, something akin to a real-world junco), and posed as Maerauna Steelsharn, an entirely fictional courtier of Cormyr who’d been spell-trapped in bird form by an evil wizard of Westgate, but was still able to speak as a human does. She pleaded with Alamanther to keep her a secret from Ustragus, and tried to befriend him (to try to find out all she could of the doings, secrets, and schemes of Ustragus).
She succeeded, and when Ustragus was blown apart in a dispute in Telflamm with the Red Wizard Vhalaun Trarr in 1331 DR, Alamanther turned to “trying to free Maerauna from her spell-prison.” As Maerauna, the Simbul steered Alamanther’s spellcrafting work more subtly than Ustragus had ever done, and finally “allowed” Alamanther to succeed in freeing her - - not only from avian -form prison but from the “controlled memory persona” of Maerauna, revealing herself as the Queen of Aglarond.
Alamanther was both awed and shattered, fearing her wrath and thinking the woman he’d grown to love as he worked to free her would now destroy or dismiss him. The Simbul was aghast at his reaction, for she’d grown to love and trust him, and she promptly seduced him and took him as her consort, wanting to forge strong love and loyalty between them before he withdrew from her or sought to flee. Alamanther remained shy and gentle, preferring seclusion to public appearances and court intrigues, and remained in the tower. The Simbul visited him almost daily, cooking for him and teaching him magic she judged him ready for (between passionate bouts of lovemaking). So precise was her tutelage that Alamanther rose swiftly in ability and accomplishment despite almost no real-world “field experience” in spellcasting, and was a Wiz20 (and crafting increasingly useful and powerful spells) when three Red Wizards stormed the tower in the Simbul’s absence and slew him, late in 1331 DR.
The Simbul’s grief drove her mad, and she was hurt even more when Mystra forbade her to work great magics on the Weave in attempts to “bring Alamanther back” (his body had been vaporized, along with most of the tower, and many Thayan trap-spells cast on the magical chaos of the spell-battle and the destruction of the building). Despairing of ever identifying the three murderers properly, she decided to slay almost every Red Wizard she found - - and set about doing so in a frenzy that Mystra did not prevent (and that shook all Thay).
The Simbul’s rage has abated over the years since, especially since finding comfort in Elminster’s arms and with Red Wizards too young to have possibly had a hand in Alamanther’s murder, and she often spares Red Wizards these days who haven’t actively been harming her, Aglarond, her friends, or Harper activities. Nor did her Thayan-slaying begin with avenging Alamanther; rather, it fueled flames of enmity that had been burning in her (and causing her to blast Red Wizards from time to time) for many years.
All that is left of Alamanther today are his notes; a few garments that the Simbul still keeps hanging in a closet, carefully spell-shielded against decay and insects; and his spells, of which the only widely-known one is Alamanther’s Return (MoF p76-77).

So saith Ed. Your everpresent Realms historian.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

MaskedOne
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  00:07:01  Show Profile Send MaskedOne a Private Message
Greetings,

Two semi-related questions:

What would probably have occurred if the Karsus Avatar spell had been permitted to reach completion rather than Mystril suiciding to counter-act it?

What did Mystril believe would occur if the spell was permitted to go on?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  01:30:29  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-That poor Karsus...He should have been able to complete that spell. Presumerably, it would have run it's duration, and then ended, leaving everyone where they were at the beginning of the day.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Nov 2006 04:41:48
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  01:55:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Nice Ed, thanks.

Time to pick another NPC to ask about. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  02:00:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. This time Ed replies to Kuje’s May 2006 request: “What can you tell us about Alamanther of Aglarond? In what year did he die? What was his short stats? How long was he the Simbul's consort? Did he invent any other spells? What did he look like and what was his race and how did he dress, in general? What was his personality? Is there any other history about this NPC that you could share? Did they have any offspring? And as usual, I'll leave it open ended so you can add anything that you think you might want to share. :)
I found the reference in Magic of Faerun under his spell. :) See, it pays to actually finally sit down and read 3/3.5e FR sourcebooks cover to cover, which is what I've been doing. :)”
Ed replies:

<SNIP>

So saith Ed. Your everpresent Realms historian.
love to all,
THO

Thanks Ed and THO. Very useful indeed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  08:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Ahh...thank you for all the info on Ellistraee! So nice to see my campaign is already headed in the right direction as well, so far as Ellistraee lore is concerned.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  13:11:13  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Nice Ed, thanks.

How about the princely brother and sister ruling Relkath's Foot?
Prince Branelwyr (NG male half-elf Ari3/Rgr6), and
Princess Blindelsyn Olossyne (NG female half-elf Ari6/Sor6)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  17:02:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Nice Ed, thanks.

Well, you already asked about them. :)

But I just pick a random NPC and pray that it's not NDA, which helps factor in my decision because I look for ones that, I figure, would not be NDA, which narrows it down from leaders/officials/etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  17:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I think I suggested this as a "Realmslore" topic, but if's not on Ed's table-groaning list, and if it won't be covered much in Knights III, I'd love to know more about the Circle of Shadowdale, the Battledale Seven, druidic circles in general, Aubaerus the Ravenmaster... I think the druids have influenced much behind the scenes in the history of the Dales.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  18:43:25  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message
Ed & THO

Are there any active Druidic Circles in the Moonsea region?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  20:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I can answer about U-Con, since I was signing up for things last night and therefore still have my notes. Ed is either running solo or part of three different seminars: Secrets of the Realms (with Steven Schend and two others whom I forget, but they both post here), Storytelling, and Bringing Fantasy Worlds to Life. He's also running two 2e FR games. Both of those are completely full, but I'm hoping there won't be a problem if others (meaning me) stand around and watch.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  22:49:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Nice Ed, thanks.

It might also help if they were NPCs that Ed had personally created.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2006 :  23:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Oooh. Speaking of NPC's..

Hi Ed and THO. I was wondering if you had any more information about Chlanna Asjiros, the Ex - High Grand Rapturemother of Lliira. Or will you be covering her in the forthcoming Realmslore Article you've mentioned before.

Secondly, with her death and the return of Waukeen, how has the Lliiran clergy changed? Who's the new head of the church?

Thanks in advance for any help Ed and THO.

P.s. Many thanks for the Scarlet Mummers Realmslore Article! Already planning on using it.

Edited by - Uzzy on 15 Nov 2006 14:10:38
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  00:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I think I suggested this as a "Realmslore" topic, but if's not on Ed's table-groaning list, and if it won't be covered much in Knights III, I'd love to know more about the Circle of Shadowdale, the Battledale Seven, druidic circles in general, Aubaerus the Ravenmaster... I think the druids have influenced much behind the scenes in the history of the Dales.

I second this question - it would indeed be marvelous to learn more about this subject

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  01:03:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Back in October 2005, Thysl followed up on an as-yet-unanswered query from Master of Realmslore George Krashos about grape varieties used in Faerûnian winemaking by asking: “What fruits - if any - are commonly added to grape wine? Is mead in the Realms always 100% honey, or mixed with apple (cyser), ginger, orange (Ethiopian), etc?”
Ed replies:

“Mead” in the Realms IS always honey, but wine is ‘doctored’ all over the Realms in various ways: in cold countries of the North, it’s often set out to freeze (so the ice can be sieved out, removing water so as to make the remaining drink stronger and stronger), and in southern Realms (Southern Tethyr and more southerly locales) sugar and various fruits are added to wine bottles to (partially) dissolve and affect the taste of the wine. Ginger and spices such as cinammon and nutmeg are among the substances added to wine, and there are apple and orange fortified wines (what we would call brandies or sherries; in the Realms, such concoctions tend to have many local names, such as “nerrim” for a raw-tasting sweet pear liqueur (I’ve written about some of these drinks before). Local experimentation (adding crushed fruits or their juices to wine, beer, and even water) goes on constantly, but the results rarely achieve more than local popularity. The heavy and leakable nature of drinkables means that except for VERY valuable substances (such as elverquisst) enterprising merchants prefer to transport recipes and perhaps a sample flask rather than kegs, and try to “make their own” in or near local markets (cities).

So saith Ed. See Page 5 of his replies in the 2004 version of this thread for more.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  13:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
after the debate in the sagelore forum i'm interested in any info about Ammarindar and more specifly Xothol ... who was the leaders of the clan (and the collage)?? how was they defended since they wasn't that found of common dwarvenlike fighting ... is there any drawfs claiming to be the heir of the clan, having thoughts of retaking the hold?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  21:36:12  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I recently saw the 2004 movie, The Libertine, starring Johnny Depp as the despicable Restoration rake and wit, John Wilmot, the second Earl of Rochester. I got the feeling that it is a fairly accurate reflection of decadent life among the nobility and wealthy in cosmopolitan Realms cities such as Waterdeep, Suzail, etc. Is this a fair assessment? Can I safely tell my players to watch it if they want to know what sort of people patronize places like the House of Purple Silks or other places where the wealthy and powerful of the Realms amuse themselves?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  01:12:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. This time, a reply to Blueblade about Ed’s U-Con schedule. Ed doesn’t have a “final final final” schedule, but as of right now, it seems he will be participating in the following:

Friday, 2pm-6pm: Ed is DMing a FR 2nd Edition session (as for spectators “hanging out” and watching, Ed doesn’t mind, but that’s entirely up to the U-Con staff)
6-7 pm: a Welcome seminar or mingle (of some sort; Ed’s a bit vague on this, so he may not have full information on it yet)

Saturday, 2-3 pm: Secrets of the Realms seminar with Ed, Eric Boyd, Steven Schend, and Paul Kemp (free event)
Saturday, 7-8 pm: Bringing Fantasy Worlds To Life seminar with Ed (free event)

Sunday, 10am-2pm: Ed is Ed is DMing another FR 2nd Edition session
2-3 pm: Storytelling (“come to chat, ask questions, or just hang out”) with Ed (free event)

Ed wants you all to know that he’ll be happy to sign things whenever it doesn’t hamper some event he’s taking part in - - and he’s ALWAYS happy to talk to Realms fans. So don’t be shy; he’s an approachable guy! (I’ve approached him in all sorts of ways, over the years, but perhaps none of you had better try some of my gambits; I’ve no idea as to the specifics of Michigan state law )
P.S. To Jamallo Kreen: I will of course send your post straight on to Ed, but MY opinion is: the Libertine is "close," but a little too downbeat for most urban Realms upper-crust life. There's more mirth, whimsy, and high spirits in, say, Waterdeep than you saw in that flick.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  01:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message
Chris isn't going to be at Secrets of The Realms is he?

If so, *tear*

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  01:54:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Hey Ed,

My next question that I'd like to add to my running backlog of questions , was actually prompt by THO's own comments just this morning... Namely, this particular reply -

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As a player in Ed's "home" Realms campaign, my principal character faced and fought battle horrors almost a decade before any Neverwinter Nights game (or for that matter, the computer company that created those games) existed.
They are indeed more powerful variants of Helmed Horrors (and of course, Ed created both; not to mention Neverwinter, and even the name "Neverwinter Nights," which referred to a racy "talk of the town" chapbook circulated in Neverwinter. I recall Ed telling us about Jeff Grubb phoning him and asking if he minded a computer company "borrowing" the name.)
love,
THO

Now, recalling what few tidbits we've been told about "specific" chapbooks previously in the Realmslore, and through some of your earlier replies here at Candlekeep -- like the chapbooks dealing with social and court life in Suzail... I was wondering whether you could provide me with a brief synopsis of two-or-three other "city-specific" chapbooks that may be in circulation in two-or-three other well-populated cities throughout the Realms. In other words... chapbooks other than those that have already been mentioned both here and in existing Realmslore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  11:45:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Hello Ed and dear THO,

Three of my female players want to know a little more about dresses, clothes, and how much a rich adventurer will have to pay to stay atuned with the latest "noble fashion" in Waterdeep or Silverymoon. The PHB says that a royal vestment will cost 200 gp, but I think that some rich adventurers can spare something more to stay "at the best!" We already know that in Hethmeir´s Highboots, in Everlund, they can pay 1.000 gp in a pair of boots (Volo´s Guide to the North). To compliment, we are talking about a New Olamm bard, a Shadow thieves rogue, and an everlundian sorceress, all in the Silver Marches.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  21:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message
CoM ... remember that even though royal outfit costs 200 gp, then that is just a nice and wellmade outfit ... without any jewelry on it ... those cost additionally so that could easily run up to several 1000's if you want enough pling-pling on it :p

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  23:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO!

I've got another question, this time on something other then Lliira!

I was wondering about the Theatrical scene in Waterdeep. Are many plays produced there? Are there any famous plays and playwrights, or even Theatrical companies? Does magic play a large part in some plays, to bring it more to life? Any famed critics? (other then Laeral/One-Eyed Jack. )

Any information on this would be wonderful. So, many thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  01:31:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, another great question. On to Ed it goes.
Ahem. Hi again, all.
This time Ed answers createvmind’s query from June: “Since I've hit the NDA wall, are the Troll Hills and more exactly the ridge line from Lizard Marsh to Trollbark Mountains NDA as well. Because I would like to know what if any minerals and gems I could mine out of there if I were able to evict the trolls and any other possible tenants. Are there other tenants within those mountains? And are the Bowshot, The Way Inn, Liam's Hold and Gillian Hill still there, occupied along the Trade Way? Thanks in advance.”
Ed replies:

To answer the easy part first: YES, the Bowshot, The Way Inn, Liam's Hold and Gillian’s Hill all still exist, flourishing (meaning they’re SLIGHTLY larger/busier than they were when described in VOLO’S GUIDE TO THE SWORD COAST: e.g. Liam’s Hold is now home to 62 or so people, not 50, but the description Volo gave is still “correct”).
No, the Troll Hills and the shoreline from Lizard Marsh to the Trollbark Forest (note: no “Trollbark Mountains”) aren’t NDA, as far as I know.
That’s what that “ridge line” really is: a line of cliffs, where the mainland drops away several hundred feet into a strip of “broken land” rarely much more than a mile wide. This broken land is damp, salt-rimed country (so vegetation is either lichen or stunted), and consists of seacaves, hills of heaped-up seabed rock hurled ashore in the worst storms, rougher hills of rock broken off the cliffs and piled up below at their feet, and flowerpot-shaped “sea stacks” of hard, layered stone left behind in misshapen columns when the wind, water, and winter ice have carved away the land around them. All manner of creatures dwell in this shoreline strip of land: leucrotta, outlawed and fugitive (or washed ashore from shipwrecks) humans, amphibious creatures of all sorts, all sorts of monsters, and countless seabirds (whose eggs offer a plentiful food source for much of the year).
Veins of iron and dark clays that contain many sort of gems are exposed on the treacherous, crumbling cliff-faces (which sport hollowed-out caves here and there, some of them peryton, eagle, or other don’t-mess-with-me aerial creature lairs). Lava vents under much of this shoreline warm the rocks (and fresh water, percolating up through them) from beneath, making this coast a place of winter mists and survival for many creatures, rather than a region most life must vacate for the cold months or perish. In other words, if you can fight off the competing monsters, you can winter over in caves that get quite comfortably warm in their innermost, deepest corners.
Those same lava vents make deep mining in this region well-nigh impossible. The warmth also makes trolls avoid the area, which is why they keep inland, in the Trollbark Forest, and to the south, in the Troll Hills, and leave this area alone.
No one rules this desolate shore, which has no good landing-places or harbors, and there have never been large settlements hereabouts, so the land is relatively verdant and unspoiled. Atop the cliffs, and inland as far south as the northern half of the Trollbark, the most prevalent life are those same seabirds, small wandering herds of wild horses and other cloven-hoofed grazing animals, and hags. There are over a dozen known coveys of hags (trios of one annis, one green hag, and one sea hag) in this region, and they dominate local life. It’s rare indeed for them to fight each other openly (and they will in fact band together to battle formidable intruders like adventuring bands), but they carry on longstanding rivalries in which status is linked to performance in disputes with each other (i.e. getting your own way or besting the other covey is a small, bloodless victory, and those who “win” more often increase their influence). Werebats (lycanthropes whose non-bat form isn’t drow, but rather several sorts of giants) are known to dwell in cliff-face caverns near the northern end of this shoreline; their presence prevents the lizardfolk from expanding south along the entire shore, and they are in turn prevented from expanding south by the presence of wild foulwings, who lair along the southern end of the shore.
Adventurers have found various sorts of constructs of ancient make (Netherese?) half-exposed in the crumbling cliffs, that move into action (usually attacking living things near them) once freed enough to break free of their rock prisons. Small parties of Gond-worshippers from Lantan make frequent explorative expeditions along the broken country, searching for constructs they can dissassemble and study; often they are forced to hire adventurers to protect them from monsters that stalk them (as food that’s obligingly strolling within reach).
I’ll leave the Troll Hills themselves for another day. As their name suggests, they are dominated by many, many trolls.

So saith Ed, whose habit of mentally strolling around his created world, “seeing” it in his head, is awesome to hear when he describes his imaginary surroundings. He makes great chip-dip, too.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  04:26:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Another question has just occurred to me... I was outside, gazing upward at the few stars visible thru the haze and light pollution. As usual, my eyes were drawn to the Pleiades -- which I've always known as the Seven Sisters, since long before I was paying any attention to fantasy fiction. Were the Pleiades part of the inspiration for Mystra's seven daughters, or is it just coincidental? As always, thanks!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  06:26:25  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thundering applause from my soon to be heavily immersed adventurers, thank you much.
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2006 :  09:43:16  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message
quote:
Thundering applause from my soon to be heavily immersed adventurers, thank you much.

Drowning is baid mmmkay

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000